• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
2dd.jpg

p1p1: ancestral recall or black lotus

i picked ancestral recall

No mortal should have to make such a decision.

I probably would have done the same though

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I hope they mean that those characters will be involved in the block story not necessarily that they'll have cards in every block.

I think while you can read it as "most of the Origins planeswalkers will be in every block" what it actually means is "there will be members of this main cast in every block"

I will be quite surprised, for example, if the spring set again features say Gideon, Nissa, Chandra and Liliana

MjFrancis

Turn 2 Eidolon of the Great Revel, Turn 3 Scab-Clan Berserker.
That is a nasty combo. If I was playing Standard right now I'd be all over that.

I do plan on drafting Origins tonight. I'm considering just forcing Boros aggro and hoping for the best, or at the very least make certain my pool includes some Renown two & three drops in it. That or draft B/W to pair the Renown with removal.

Firemind

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

foiled by spell pierce

fuck everything

i also played badly

that's what gets me the saltiest feeling

moral of the story: don't drink and play magic at the same time

Hackworth

So which of the Origins Starter decks is best value? I got a Launch Weekend tournament involving them.
EDIT: I'm thinking Green/White?

Firemind

Oh Spell Pierce didn't actually do anything. It was 1-1 and he showed me the spell pierce in an earlier game. I was so preoccupied, counting the math, that I punted the game like five times during different moments in the game. In the end I got mindslaver locked. D:

Yeef

That or draft B/W to pair the Renown with removal.
This is what I ended up doing. People underestimate the power of the low renown guys. Managed to get 3 Topan Freeblade, 2 Stalwart Aven, 2 Knight of the Pilgrim's Road and 2 Patron of the Valiant. Filled out my curve and got some solid removal.

Managed to get this curve out one game:
>Anointer of Champions
>>Topan Freeblade
>>>Stalwart Aven
>>>>Ampyrn Tactician
>>>>>Patron of the Valiant (both my guys were renowned)
>>>>>>Priest of the Blood Rite

duxstar

So these are the trades I made at FNM tonight

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy for an Archangel of Tithes straight up
My 5th deathmist raptor (already have a playset) for an Evolutionary Leap, Kolaghan's Command, Knight of the white Orchard Origins promo, and a Gaea's Revenge.

So far I've traded away 2 planeswalkers (nissa, and jace), and a foil Day's undoing from the new set. I might regret trading the nissa away later, I'm hoping she drops in price and doesn't spike. I have $220 in credit at my local GS from fnm's, and trading in, so I'm good if they can ever get any new cards =/

Now to find a deck to play, I think i want to bite on woodland bellower's; I think they are undervalued right now.

y2dvd

Sweet went 3-0 tonight in drafts to get the FNM Path. W splash R aggro. 17 creatures, 16 lands, a few anthem effects and gg.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There was never even a tiny chance it'd be reprinted in BFZ, I don't think prices are going to go up based on information we already knew.

There very much was, actually, considering they have talked quite a bit about her almost getting a reprint but they had to push that back due to MBD rocking standard for a while. BFZ would have been the next set to place her in based on that information, considering the nature of Origins.

WanderingWind

You can't have Origins Lili and LOTV in Standard together. They're so very similar. (And both houses in Modern.)

I'm sure that factored into the decision somewhat, but they've had overlapping PWs plenty of times. Garruk and Chandra especially. Again, it's not shocking she's not in BFZ, but there was a very real chance she could have been based on what was being said about her and the timeframe. She's obviously going to be the next version we see reprinted, at the very least and it looks like she'll be a major part of whatever block comes after BFZ, based on the new info that she's not in BFZ, but they're going to focus on the main five for a while.

OnPoint

I'm sure that factored into the decision somewhat, but they've had overlapping PWs plenty of times. Garruk and Chandra especially. Again, it's not shocking she's not in BFZ, but there was a very real chance she could have been based on what was being said about her and the timeframe. She's obviously going to be the next version we see reprinted, at the very least and it looks like she'll be a major part of whatever block comes after BFZ, based on the new info that she's not in BFZ, but they're going to focus on the main five for a while.

I won't be floored if we return to Innistrad already. Was a hugely popular plane with hugely popular characters (Avacyn especially) and it ties deeply in with Liliana, likely 'of the Veil'.

Sadly there will likely be no Tibalt revival in a return, which is too bad, as I feel like he got a pretty unfair shake of things.

WanderingWind

I won't be floored if we return to Innistrad already. Was a hugely popular plane with hugely popular characters (Avacyn especially) and it ties deeply in with Liliana, likely 'of the Veil'.

Sadly there will likely be no Tibalt revival in a return, which is too bad, as I feel like he got a pretty unfair shake of things.

I'm hoping for the fairy tale land after BFZ. If they do it right, it could be Innistrad 2.0 without it having to be exactly Innistrad. Lili would totally fit into there. So would Tibalt!

duxstar

No way for they go back after zendikar, I think they are going to start rotating going from one new plane, to one old plane we've been to before. So maybe at earliest in 2 sets.

OnPoint

No way for they go back after zendikar, I think they are going to start rotating going from one new plane, to one old plane we've been to before. So maybe at earliest in 2 sets.
I didn't mean to imply the set after BFZ. I'm just saying it will be less than 5 years, unlike other returns.

I'm playing in my 2nd SCG open and my girlfriend is playing in her first today! Gonna be playing my super greedy naya deck and see if I can beat languish.

Oh, and last night I tried out an abzan ascendancy/evolutionary leap deck. It's either the world's greatest draft deck or the seed of something really really powerful. I can type up a deck list from my phone if anyone wants to try it out. It's unbelievably fun.

Wichu

Oh, and last night I tried out an abzan ascendancy/evolutionary leap deck. It's either the world's greatest draft deck or the seed of something really really powerful. I can type up a deck list from my phone if anyone wants to try it out. It's unbelievably fun.

I added Evolutionary Leap to my Sidisi Whip deck. It's really powerful, but I'm starting to get to the point where I have too much card advantage/self-mill and decking myself is a real problem.

Whip back Liliana, sac a Raptor to Leap, opponent tries to kill Lili, sac another Raptor, flip Lili, sac the Zombie token to Leap, +2 and discard a Raptor, play Den Protector and get Raptors back next turn. The value is real.

WanderingWind

Two kinds of Magic players in the world. Those that take the Goyf and those that have a lot of points. But now I'm stuck with the classic Goyf dilemma. "You know what goes good with one Goyf? Three more."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Modern Masters Goyf is 5/6 Goyf.

Future Sight Goyf is 2/3.

Not gonna make any bold predictions, but Evolutionary Leap is my sleeper card of the set. I'm guessing control/removal heavy decks are gonna figure out how annoying this card is to play through soon enough.

OnPoint

Two kinds of Magic players in the world. Those that take the Goyf and those that have a lot of points. But now I'm stuck with the classic Goyf dilemma. "You know what goes good with one Goyf? Three more."

I'm short one 'Goyf for my playset. If you decide you want to unload it, send me a PM and we'll figure something out friendo

kirblar

Modern Masters Goyf is 5/6 Goyf.

Future Sight Goyf is 2/3.

Not gonna make any bold predictions, but Evolutionary Leap is my sleeper card of the set. I'm guessing control/removal heavy decks are gonna figure out how annoying this card is to play through soon enough.
Leap is amazing, but boy is it terrible in multiples.

ironmang

I'm playing in my 2nd SCG open and my girlfriend is playing in her first today! Gonna be playing my super greedy naya deck and see if I can beat languish.

Keep us updated and good luck. :)

OnPoint

Crush your opponents.

WanderingWind

I'm short one 'Goyf for my playset. If you decide you want to unload it, send me a PM and we'll figure something out friendo

Sorry mate, LotV, Goyfs and 2 Hierarchs are the only missing parts to me having all of the modern staples I need for the types of decks I want to play. I won't give up the Goyf until I cash out of the game in 40 years.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My brother just got into MTG and is coming into town for Gen Con. I'm going with him and wanted to build myself a fun/cheap/slightly competitive deck. Any suggestions?

E: I played heavy during Zendikar, so it's been a while since I've done anything...But I do know how MTG works/plays. I just am not up on what currently plays well. I'm traditionally a Red Deck Wins style player or Blue Control (when viable).

My brother just got into MTG and is coming into town for Gen Con. I'm going with him and wanted to build myself a fun/cheap/slightly competitive deck. Any suggestions?

E: I played heavy during Zendikar, so it's been a while since I've done anything...But I do know how MTG works/plays. I just am not up on what currently plays well. I'm traditionally a Red Deck Wins style player or Blue Control (when viable).

Well good for you, both decks are in a pretty good position right now. Well, not blue control but blue-black, white-blue, and white-blue-black (Esper) control. Mono-blue is actually more aggro right now. We're right up to a new set getting into Standard, though, so things will change.

From a Google search, here's a good starting point for mono-red.

Blue-black control deck at the bottom of the page.

White-blue control

Esper control

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well good for you, both decks are in a pretty good position right now. Well, not blue control but blue-black, white-blue, and white-blue-black (Esper) control. Mono-blue is actually more aggro right now. We're right up to a new deck getting into Standard, though, so things will change.

From a Google search, here's a good starting point for mono-red.

Blue-black control deck at the bottom of the page.

White-blue control

Esper control

Thanks. Most of these decks have a few "hot cards" that would make buying singles quite expensive right now. I'll see what I can muster up, though.

OnPoint

Sorry mate, LotV, Goyfs and 2 Hierarchs are the only missing parts to me having all of the modern staples I need for the types of decks I want to play. I won't give up the Goyf until I cash out of the game in 40 years.
Lol fair enough, but don't post like you aren't sure you're keeping it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom