• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I wish they would print a 3 mana reanimation spell :/

FootstepsOfTheGoryo.jpg
Victimize.jpg

CorpseDance.jpg
GrimReturn.jpg

OnPoint

The story of Nahiri stopping an Eldrazi uprising 1000 years ago and then going off to find out why no one else came to help, before she discovers that Sorin was off 420ing erry day. I thought this was a pretty good one.

One things that kind of confuses me:

Eyes closed, she sat in a cocoon of stone, every inch of her skin connected to the bedrock, the solid foundation of Zendikar. Everything that touched the earth touched her, an endless march of meaningless motion as she and the world simply existed, being without doing.

Where is the justification of this being White on the great wheel of flavor? Isn't being in touch with nature a green thing?

Also, she's totally in Battle for Zendikar block.

Where is the justification of this being White on the great wheel of flavor? Isn't being in touch with nature a green thing?

Her card depicts her before this event. She could have been part green at the time depicted in the article.

OnPoint

Her card depicts her before this event. She could have been part green at the time depicted in the article.

Maybe. My hope though is:

Perhaps she had been cocooned long enough and she was ready to emerge into a new life, like a fully grown geopede. Perhaps the taste of bitter memory—of wistful longing, and especially of passionate rage—had awakened her from her centuries-long slumber and sparked her into a new wakefulness. In any event, she wanted to finish this so she could set out on her life's next step, whatever it might be

Red white.

ultron87

I could make some argument that being in touch with the base structure of the world like that, and seeking to protect it, is white. It seems like it is a deeper thing than just "nature".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe. My hope though is:

Red white.

Maybe in "Sweat?"

I can't see her in BFZ given we already know the featured Planeswalker is Gideon Jura, who is about as white as they come and if he had a second color, its almost assuredly red given that practically the entirety of the story we know about Gideon is standing around flirting with Chandra. (And he had a R/W card in Theros-block that referenced him)

OnPoint

I could make some argument that being in touch with the base structure of the world like that, and seeking to protect it, is white. It seems like it is a deeper thing than just "nature".

I suppose that's a pretty white thing. And I won't be shocked if her BFZ card, should it exist, ends up mono-white. I kind of hope not though. Mono-colored walkers kind of bore me. We need more good low cost two color walkers.

Maybe in "Sweat?"

I can't see her in BFZ given we already know the featured Planeswalker is Gideon Jura, who is about as white as they come and if he had a second color, its almost assuredly red given that practically the entirety of the story we know about Gideon is standing around flirting with Chandra. (And he had a R/W card in Theros-block that referenced him)

Oh man, Gideon. I want another good Gideon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are a lot of Planeswalker character who by rights should show up on Zendikar anyways. We'll have to see how they manage that. Last I heard from Maro, under 2-set paradigm, large sets have 3 Planeswalkers and small sets have 2.

Nissa Revane doesn't even leave Zendikar, Gideon is clearly there, Nahiri makes sense as she also doesn't leave Zendikar (although Sorin implied some kind of shit went down after this story), Chandra was involved in releasing the Eldrazi (as was Jace, even) and is all doe-eyed for Gideon.

Sorin and Ugin make sense too, but they have cards that are legal in standard with BFZ so I doubt they appear again.

I get the feeling that Battle for Zendikar will have a reprint of Nissa Worldwaker, since Magic Origins will have a creature->planeswalker card for her.

Angry Grimace

I get the feeling that Battle for Zendikar will have a reprint of Nissa Worldwaker, since Magic Origins will have a creature->planeswalker card for her.

I wouldn't be that surprised, really.

I'm still skeptical on whether its gonna be worth it to jump through the hoops to get the new PW (assuming they turn out like Heretical Healer). The problem I worry about is that HH isn't that good and Defiant Necromancer isn't that good either. Then again, there could be a pretty cool Zombie/Exploit deck with that card.

OnPoint

There are a lot of Planeswalker character who by rights should show up on Zendikar anyways. We'll have to see how they manage that. Last I heard from Maro, under 2-set paradigm, large sets have 3 Planeswalkers and small sets have 2.

Nissa Revane doesn't even leave Zendikar, Gideon is clearly there, Nahiri makes sense as she also doesn't leave Zendikar (although Sorin implied some kind of shit went down after this story), Chandra was involved in releasing the Eldrazi (as was Jace, even) and is all doe-eyed for Gideon.

Sorin and Ugin make sense too, but they have cards that are legal in standard with BFZ so I doubt they appear again.

It's an interesting problem to have. Remember, though, that having two of one character across two cards in Standard (or in one block, even) at once isn't unheard of, and with Sarkhan, is going on right now.

My unfounded guess would be:

BFZ: Gideon 3.0, Nissa 2.0, Nahiri 2.0

2BF: Ob Nixilis 2.0, Sorin 1.0​

I don't think they'll bother with Jace in this set, especially because of Origins. He's probably still on Ravnica storywise anyway. I think they'll bring Nahiri and Sorin together somehow, but I don't think it will be right away. Plus I'd love a Sorin 1.0 reprint. Chandra getting a spot in Origins probably locks her out of this, too. I don't know who the fifth would be. Maybe Ob Nixilis gets his spark back? Two mono black walkers in the last set though... ehh...

Fuck it. This is what I think:

2BF: Tibalt 2.0, Sorin 1.0​

Angry Grimace

I don't think they'd print Sorin again, especially at mono-black. He's pretty much the designated B/W character now I think. Wasn't Sorin 1's minus supposed to go along with the minor "10 life matters" thing in Zendikar block?

Angry Grimace

Origins has to have DFC Nicol Bolas. I mean, what's Origins without the baddest of baddies?

OG Bolas combat damage ability is probably the funniest one ever. Especially with Dragon Tempest.

OnPoint

I don't think they'd print Sorin again, especially at mono-black. He's pretty much the designated B/W character now I think. Wasn't Sorin 1's minus supposed to go along with the minor "10 life matters" thing in Zendikar block?

You could be right. I just don't know if they print a Sorin 4.0 so soon after Sorin 3.0. Maybe reprint 2.0? Maybe not include him?

I'm holding out for Tibalt 2.0 to smash in as the defacto RB walker now that Sarkhan is all centered and shit.

Planeswalker - Tibalt

+1: Target player draws two cards and loses 2 life
-3: Gain control of target non-land permanent until the end of the turn
-6: Put an emblem into play that says:
Pay 5 life: You may play cards from your graveyard this turn.
If a card would be put into your graveyard this turn from anywhere,
exile that card instead.​
_________________________________​

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163817305]It still kind of makes me giggle that Nicol Bolas wears armor. I mean, he's a damn dragon.[/QUOTE]

He read The Hobbit and was like "Nuh-uh."

ultron87

Nicol Bolas, Meek Scholar 1UBR
Creature - Dragon Scholar

Flying

At the beginning of each end step, if three or more cards were put into Nicol Bolas' controller's graveyard from anywhere, exile him, then return him to the battlefield transformed. If you do, destroy all dragons.

In the end, Vaevictus Asmadi really regretted tossing Bolas' books into the mud.

4/4

Angry Grimace

Reprint Reanimate

Trust me nothing will break

Trust me

You thought your games in EDH took long? We had a guy who played Shahrazad before there was a banlist; sometimes he played Shahrazad in the Shahrazad game.

I got Shahrazad banned from my local league before it was officially axed. I used it to disrupt other players' point farming schemes. They complained, Shahrazad got store banned. Within a month the league fell apart.

Coincidence?

So I've put my Abzan deck (and all the money I invested in it >.>) aside, and I'm running Naya aggro. Considering I don't have the final pieces of it (Windswept Heath, Dragonlord Atarka/Stormbreath Dragon finishers), it's worked very well. Chained to the Rocks is so damned good.

Edit: Holy fuck, Stormbreath Dragon is out of the question. That shit is expensive. XD

Yes, but meditative awareness is white or blue.

We're getting a proper Nahiri Planeswalker card in BFZ, right?

I would be very surprised if we didn't, or at least don't get one soon. Daretti was an invention purely for the Commander decks, but Nahiri was a character they'd already spent years building up, which certainly suggests greater plans than one supplemental card for her.

My unfounded guess would be:

2BF: Ob Nixilis 2.0, Sorin 1.0​

That'd make this the first block ever to have only repeating PWs. That's certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Angry Grimace

Yes, but meditative awareness is white or blue.

I would be very surprised if we didn't, or at least don't get one soon. Daretti was an invention purely for the Commander decks, but Nahiri was a character they'd already spent years building up, which certainly suggests greater plans than one supplemental card for her.

That'd make this the first block ever to have only repeating PWs. That's certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Maro said they'd have to consider it now that they don't have Core Sets to reprint stuff like Liliana of the Veil (which was gonna be in M15). LOTV would be a $20 card right now if dumb 'ol mono black devotion hadn't ruined it.

As for Nahiri, yeah, I think they will, although I'm not sure where she fits since her identity is mono-white and we have Gideon incoming. But they had her as a "pre-mending" walker in Commander and thousands of years have passed, so she could be practically anything right now (heck, she could be evil and Sorin's made it obvious something went down).

I like the theory that he used her to make Avacyn. It's definitely a fuck up that is worth him feeling embarrassed about now that the Eldrazi have escaped.

MM2 draft might actually be pretty interesting. Sealed is basically unplayable, but draft seems like it actually has some stuff going on. I'll have to keep checking it out, I do have a few reservations.

I'd definitely like them to cull the cast. Keeps things fresh, otherwise it just turns into DBZ/Bleach.

Isn't the whole point of going to new worlds every year having an infinitely replenishable cast?

OnPoint

I like the theory that he used her to make Avacyn. It's definitely a fuck up that is worth him feeling embarrassed about now that the Eldrazi have escaped.
I never heard that theory. Could be pretty fucked up in a good way if they write it right. Or could it possibly make Avacyn a planeswalker down the line? They don't have an angel one currently...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163882129]
Isn't the whole point of going to new worlds every year having an infinitely replenishable cast?[/QUOTE]

You would think. Instead, more Jaces

Yeef

I never heard that theory. Could be pretty fucked up in a good way if they write it right. Or could it possibly make Avacyn a planeswalker down the line? They don't have an angel one currently...
Angels (and demons) can't be planeswalkers because they're artificial beings. If they were going to retcon that rule, I feel like Avacyn and Ob Nixilis would be the two to do it.

OnPoint

Angels (and demons) can't be planeswalkers because they're artificial beings. If they were going to retcon that rule, I feel like Avacyn and Ob Nixilis would be the two to do it.
But if the theory is true, then it's a unique situation as they both once were PWs. Ob definitely was, at least. Maybe they revert her? But Avacyn is popular, I feel like they won't erase that character.

I still want a good, red black Tibalt. They've done him dirty so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom