• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maro said they'd have to consider it now that they don't have Core Sets to reprint stuff like Liliana of the Veil (which was gonna be in M15). LOTV would be a $20 card right now if dumb 'ol mono black devotion hadn't ruined it.

Oh, I know they're gonna start reprinting individual cards, I mean that so far they introduce one new PW character every block. I wouldn't be super surprised to see the reprinted PWs in expansions start as soon as BFZ.

They have to at some point right? Unless characters start getting killed of, the PW count will only bloat.

They've got 26 total alive, active planeswalkers now. They could probably add two a year for the next decade and not actually run into a problem.

I'd definitely like them to cull the cast. Keeps things fresh, otherwise it just turns into DBZ/Bleach.

They're not going to "cull the cast" any more than Marvel kills off half the Avengers for good every few years. When someone dies they'll make a big deal of it (which, yes, means you're looking at maybe one pre-existing walker dying in a given year) because they're so heavily invested in marketing the characters.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163882129]

Isn't the whole point of going to new worlds every year having an infinitely replenishable cast?[/QUOTE]

I mean, they don't want it to be infinitely replenishable cast, they've made it clear by this point that they're essentially borrowing a lot of super-hero story structures with a recurring cast. The problem is that they basically have A-tier and B-tier characters, in terms of importance. They can keep giving B tier characters one or two off cards and then letting them fade away (I'd be surprised if we saw another Vraska quite frankly) but the current A-tier cast is probably about as large as they can go

What I suspect we will see more of is stories that wrap up individual planeswalker's arcs, like what happened with Sarkhan. I will be shocked if we see another Sarkhan card in the next 5 years. Maybe Tears/Fears wrap up Ajani or Liliana's story for a nice long while.

When we see another Sarkhan card, it'll be Return to Tarkir, and he'll be the villain and likely die.

His time-inconsistency will drive him mad and Narset puts him down like old yeller.

Narset: Why did you shoot fire at Taigam?
Sarkhan: He was sick.
Narset: Well, you were sick. How come we didn't shoot you?
Sarkhan: That was different.

What I suspect we will see more of is stories that wrap up individual planeswalker's arcs, like what happened with Sarkhan.

Right, it seems like part of their new story-planning approach is to move away from peeking in on each character's story every three years, and towards small arcs that cut across adjacent blocks. That'd definitely let them play up a set of characters for 2-3 blocks and then pan away from them for a while.

That said, I'm not sure the "core cast" is really incapable of expanding. Right now I'd say it's Ajani, Jace, Liliana, Chandra, Garruk, Gideon, Elspeth, Tezzeret, Sarkhan, Nissa, Bolas, and Sorin. That's twelve characters when they're gonna use 3-4 of them every block. And certainly some of those they can rotate out of prominence for a while (as they've just done with both Elspeth and Sarkhan.)

Liliana and Sorin are really the only two walkers I've broadly liked across all incarnations. Considering how poor black legends have been over most of the history of the game I'm a little surprised to realize this.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163893115]I fucking hate Cryptic Command. I'm gonna replace them with a pair of Grim Lavamancers.[/QUOTE]

Wtf. Best card ever. Answers EVERYTHING. I'd jam a playset in every deck if I could.

Firemind

Liliana and Sorin are really the only two walkers I've broadly liked across all incarnations. Considering how poor black legends have been over most of the history of the game I'm a little surprised to realize this.
Wat

Baron Sengir, Volrath, Crovax (okay not white Crovax), Greven il-Vec, Kaervek, Purraj. Black arguably has the best legendary cast pre-mending.

Sorin is like Alucard but instead of father issues he has bff issues. Liliana is trying to lift the Veil curse by killing demons. Ob Nixilis lost his spark, became a demon and is now lusting for revenge. All very interesting.

Wat

Baron Sengir, Volrath, Crovax (okay not white Crovax), Greven il-Vec, Kaervek, Purraj. Black arguably has the best legendary cast pre-mending.

Sorin is like Alucard but instead of father issues he has bff issues. Liliana is trying to lift the Veil curse by killing demons. Ob Nixilis lost his spark, became a demon and is now lusting for revenge. All very interesting.

I'll give you Kaervek and the Baron; they were effective villains even if they were one note. I'd add Chainer because he's actually multifaceted. But that's about it for me. I feel that black easily has the weakest cast pre- or post-mending.

I like Sorin because he's one of the rare examples of a prominent black character that actually demonstrates a will to uphold good or at least non-awful things for the sake of his own interests. That's not a very high bar but seeing as how most black legends are cartoon villains bent on destruction and poisoning the water hole I take what I can get.

Matriox

So MM2 isn't worth the box price? Is that the current consensus?

The average based on simulators and spreadsheets appears to be breaking even around $240. If you can buy in at $200-$220 would be the only way I'd recommend it, but mostly if you plan on drafting with friends too.

Firemind

I will say Sorin is pretty badass on
Image.ashx

Much better looking than crappy hand waving turn you into dust.

OnPoint

What I like about Sorin and Liliana over "traditional" black-aligned characters is exactly the same as you guys -- they have motivations beyond villainy for the sake of villainy.

I like that Liliana's lust for power backfired and she's working her ass off to try and get out from under it. It's 100% black in motivation and it avoids being a cliche.

Sorin has some depth to him, too. The way they're writing characters now is better than it used to be, like the "This is a green character. She lives in the woods and likes animals" way from back when was so bad (though I wouldn't change it).

It'll be interesting to see how they move forward with the storytelling. Obviously we're in for some changes, and hopefully they work in a positive way for the game.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163920421]Niv Mizzet looks more like a turtle whose head got stuck in a tulip than a dragon.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I don't like Firemind's Foresight either.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163920916]Sorin's nowhere close to a villain. He's as neutral as it gets.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he was a villain. I mean his motivation is different in the face of what we used to get from black characters, not that he IS that.

I don't really like the Commander set generals. Having these pre-made super powerful creatures explicitly for the format takes the fun out of the deckbuilding process.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163920916]Sorin's nowhere close to a villain. He's as neutral as it gets.[/QUOTE]

That we can say that about him is what makes me happy. For all the diversification they've done of the other colors black too often still feels like it's Snidley Whiplash personified.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163923835]I don't really like the Commander set generals. Having these pre-made super powerful creatures explicitly for the format takes the fun out of the deckbuilding process.[/QUOTE]

I'm split on it. I feel like they went overboard on a few and made a few crappy ones, but I like that the set has its own stuff to build off. You don't need to. Besides, mono-red EDH decks had no real identity or chance until the recent Daretti deck. I love that they did that.

The Technomancer

That we can say that about him is what makes me happy. For all the diversification they've done of the other colors black too often still feels like it's Snidley Whiplash personified.

I mean, its kind of hard? Selfishness is a bit harder to spin as a heroic trait from a human perspective. You can do it, as evidenced by the ways that they've done it, but its more difficult. You can basically do "I'm doing the right thing to save my own skin".

I'm totally open to hearing other ideas for how you do a mono-black hero though

But Crovax was one of the good guys before Sorin was.

But we didn't get a card of him until he was already crazy and ready to start munchin' on people. And back then crazy meant black.

I mean, its kind of hard? Selfishness is a bit harder to spin as a heroic trait from a human perspective. You can do it, as evidenced by the ways that they've done it, but its more difficult. You can basically do "I'm doing the right thing to save my own skin".

I'm totally open to hearing other ideas for how you do a mono-black hero though

Black's more than that. Emphasize the search for knowledge and improvement via self-sacrifice and pragmatism.

I will say Sorin is pretty badass on

Much better looking than crappy hand waving turn you into dust.

I preferred this card when I thought Sorin was pinning some guy to the wall way high up, but no, it's just an odd perspective, since you can see Sorin's feet on the ground.

Black isn't about sacrifice any more than red is about flipping coins. Black's about selfishness and more precisely, introspection. Black knows what it wants and what it takes to get it quickly, and then does it. It doesn't care about the journey where blue does. If blue's pursuits lead to other discoveries, that's just as great. Black just wants the thing at the end.

So what you're saying is there could be a black Jace down the line.

Isn't he some sort of mediator on Ravnica, though? That's a hard sell for a push to black.

The Technomancer

Seeking knowledge /= automatically blue. Seeking knowledge for innovation and discovery is probably automatically blue. Black is fully capable of diggin' through books if they give up something for it.
Well not just seeking knowledge but seeking self improvement. Seeking personal gain in general is black, seeking to improve oneself is blue

OnPoint

So what you're saying is there could be a black Jace down the line.
I would so prefer they leave him mono blue rather than put in black. They'd have to do something storywise to splice in another color, and aside from a curse or him going bad -- which have been done -- I don't know how you do it uniquely.

I'd like more if they spliced in other colors lore regularly. Like a white character who is frustrated with a lack of progress and they give into reds impatience. Be creative with it.

Well not just seeking knowledge but seeking self improvement. Seeking personal gain in general is black, seeking to improve oneself is blue

Ah, you're right. I guess I just see that black can have diverse traits, by the designers' own statements, but they're rarely capitalized on. Chainer was fully black but he still had desires, hopes, actual friends, etc. I really do think it only seems difficult because the writers are still too tied to Bant's colors being more "heroic".

The Technomancer

Ah, you're right. I guess I just see that black can have diverse traits, by the designers' own statements, but they're rarely capitalized on. Chainer was fully black but he still had desires, hopes, actual friends, etc. I really do think it only seems difficult because the writers are still too tied to Bant's colors being more "heroic".

The problem as I see it is that it becomes difficult to do mono-anything color characters that don't feel shallow. Mono-white and mono-green tend to work okay, they're philosophies lend themselves to "all in" personalities, but mono-blue, black and red always end up feeling under-developed (seriously does anyone have any idea what Chandra's personality is beyond "hotheaded"?)

Liliana is honestly the best they've done with an interesting monoblack character in ages. Even Sorin ended up needing to splash for white

The problem as I see it is that it becomes difficult to do mono-anything color characters that don't feel shallow. Mono-white and mono-green tend to work okay, they're philosophies lend themselves to "all in" personalities, but mono-blue, black and red always end up feeling under-developed (seriously does anyone have any idea what Chandra's personality is beyond "hotheaded"?)

Liliana is honestly the best they've done with an interesting monoblack character in ages. Even Sorin ended up needing to splash for white

I won't deny that Liliana is more interesting. I just had hope in what they were doing with Sorin.

Chandra is Diet Jaya.

OnPoint

I thought the backstory and flavor of Feldon were awesome. And he's mono red

Athreous

Do you guys think that the new MTG block will come with full art lands?

Also, is it worth to buy the modern masters 2015 booster box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom