• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purdy

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172394261]watching EVO and the Open at the same time really illustrates how weak MTG is as a spectator sport lol

ResidentSleeper[/QUOTE]

Yep as a fairly new player I just can't watch it

f0rk

Normally I don't like Jeff Hoogland decks because he often seems to be deliberately contrarian, but this artifact control list is pretty cool.

Not sure about Artificer's Epiphany after Darksteel Citadel rotates out though

This current G/R Devotion Mirror is a chore, that's for sure. The one player is HYPER hesitant; it annoys me, lol.

I'm rooting for the Heroic deck :) I've always been a fan of those decks. I also like Infect, though, so I don't know what that says about me.

Firemind

I don't know. I'm watchin mahvel right now and all I'm seeing is one dude on the receiving end of a combo. Then the other dude on the receiving end of a combo. Repeat ad nauseam. #bringback3s

edit: also the streaming quality is awful. can't see shit.

Purdy

I don't know. I'm watchin mahvel right now and all I'm seeing is one dude on the receiving end of a combo. Then the other dude on the receiving end of a combo. Repeat ad nauseam. #bringback3s

Mahvel is shite compared to most imo, pretty garbage. Long wait for SF here in EU :(

bigkrev

Marvel is the Vintage of FGC- ridiculously powered with a single hit often leading to a dead character. It's great.

y2dvd

Top 8 a sealed event after 6 rounds of grueling hours. Lost first round of top 8. Drew 8 lands in a row lol. Le sigh. -_-

Firemind

I'm sorry. I just can't enjoy endless combos with supers being handed out like candy. I prefer the tactical mindgames without the op supers. It is visually impressive though if the streaming quality wasn't low resolution 20fps.

It's kind of like magic. I can't enjoy someone going through the motion of a ten minute long combo, but winning with an all-in aggro deck or a control deck? Now that is impressive (unless it's affinity).

Ugh. I just know the Heroic player is going to lose on this mull to 3. Typical... alas.

EDIT: Didn't wanna double post. Numot's Holiday Cube draft is hilarious, as always... I'd recommend the whole thing, but without spoiling anything, the end of this one match is fucking great. Like... the best: https://youtu.be/9ppcr2AKIR0?t=6m38s

Match 3, Game 2: He's up a game and doing fine. His opponent casts Eureka with a known (from Courser) Griselbrand in hand. Hilarity ensues.

Really surprised that the Mono White Devotion Deck at 14th place wasn't running an actual Mana sink that's not Mastery of the Unseen. Kind of think that Valor in Akros +Secure the Wastes works really well in this shell. Secure the Wastes when they swing with Valor in play, Eat up their attackers, next turn flip creature, gaining more life because of of Creatures.

Matriox

Really surprised that the Mono White Devotion Deck at 14th place wasn't running an actual Mana sink that's not Mastery of the Unseen. Kind of think that Valor in Akros +Secure the Wastes works really well in this shell. Secure the Wastes when they swing with Valor in play, Eat up their attackers, next turn flip creature, gaining more life because of of Creatures.

Heliod sink into tokens too.

Heliod sink into tokens too.

Yeah, but I've been playing with Heliod since I got back into Magic(around beginning of FRF) and not once has his ability been worth the cost.It's 4 Mana for a 2/1 Token. Yes, I know, it's supposed to be high stapled to Heliod, but it's still stupid. Every other Theros God has a mana ability below their CMC but Heliod is just two high.

Maybe with Starfield of Nyx, but wait, that cancels the Tokens because CMC=0. Maybe if Constellation had more white cards, but it doesn't.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I believe in Liliana.

As for Secure the Wastes....as much as I want the card to be good, it's just not in a meta with both Languish and Bile Blight as mainboard cards in the most popular deck. It's mostly relegated to a combat trick, so it can be fine as a 1-2 of at best, but it should be looked at more as a combat trick with some potential for upside in the right deck. I am still pretty high on the card, but this meta is garbage for it. Without those two cards as mainboard options, I think the card could be A+.

I believe in Liliana.

As for Secure the Wastes....as much as I want the card to be good, it's just not in a meta with both Languish and Bile Blight as mainboard cards in the most popular deck. It's mostly relegated to a combat trick, so it can be fine as a 1-2 of at best, but it should be looked at more as a combat trick with some potential for upside in the right deck. I am still pretty high on the card, but this meta is garbage for it. Without those two cards as mainboard options, I think the card could be A+.

I've been trying to work on an infinite Combo Lilliana Deck and I feel like I'm right on the verge of cracking it. She's honestly one of my favourite recent walkers design wise.

I can agree on the idea that it's not ideal right now in Standard, but Languish is a sorcery speed solution to an instant threat. Sadly, Bile Blight rotates out at the same time as Nykthos, so RIP Mono White Devotion.

On a somewhat related note, since I haven't been able to build it yet(I'm a poor university Student), I'd thought I'd try to get some thoughts on my Soul Sisters Revamped list. I know it's not tier 1, but I still think I like the general feel of the deck.

4x Ajani's Pridemate
2x Archangel of Thune
4x Auriok Champion
4x Goldnight Commander
3x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4x Path to Exile
19x Plains
4x Ranger of Eos
4x Secure the Wastes
4x Serra Ascendant
4x Soul Warden
4x Soul's Attendant

Sideboard:
3x Grafdigger's Cage
2x Kataki, War's Wage
3x Leyline of Sanctity
4x Martyr of Sands
3x Rest in Peace

lol, k. Just got blasted in the "Just for Fun" room of MTGO. Loved it as I had never seen this card*, "Riding the Dilu Horse". I didn't realize that the target creature just gains it forever. So good.

Too bad paper copies are over $100 US :(

144.jpg

*I'm a huge horsemanship / shadow / odd evasion fan, so I don't know how I ever missed this card... Or I just didn't realize how silly (relatively) it was.

Firemind

How is MTGO? Is it worth getting into if my local FLGS has the worst owner ever and I refuse to go play FNM there anymore?
Yes. I payed $10 with a bit of VAT and played like forty hours of holiday cube. And I still have 5 cube drafts worth remaining. Best $10 I ever spent.

Wulfric

MTGO is worth it if you're an avid drafter. The new account kit is $10 and includes some commons/uncommon cards and enough new player points for five drafts. I'm trying to use mine up before they switch to 3x Origins draft (it's 2x DTK 1x FRF right now).

I can't speak for constructed events, however.

FeD.nL

Just bought the Origins deck builder's toolkit and was surprised to find a Nyx booster instead of a Khans booster, I mean I would've thought it would be a Nyx booster instead of a DTK booster.

OnPoint

Just bought the Origins deck builder's toolkit and was surprised to find a Nyx booster instead of a Khans booster, I mean I would've thought it would be a Nyx booster instead of a DTK booster.

Ew I'd be so mad. Might as well be a Dragon's Maze booster. Or a Fallen Empires booster.

inthrall

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172497890]I thought I traded away my foil Delver but it was just off in the multicolor section of my binder lol[/QUOTE]

But is it a set of foil delvers opened in draft and signed by LSV?

Jhriad

Anyone here live in a humid area and left any Origins rares out by themselves. I noticed that a non-foil I set out had begun to curl after a few days out by itself. I decided to check if this would happen if I put two commons out by themselves and after about a week they remained flat. Afterward I thought, "Maybe this rare was already curled when I opened the pack." It seemed unlikely since I liked very closely at the card when I opened it because it was during packing. Upon seeing out a second rare for a few days the new card has developed the same curl. I've had rares from other sets out and unsleeved before but this is the first time I've had this happen. Now I'm worried for the rest of my rares/mythics.

Firemind

Eww those MTGO prize changes look terrible.
So play points are like phantom points. Worth fuck all. Thankfully, it doesn't affect limited events (yet). It pretty much means there will be less packs in circulation, so it's a way to control the value of newly released sets diminishing over time I imagine.

ultron87

Would paying out in event tickets run into gambling laws or something since you'd basically be playing for store credit at that point? That's what everyone plays Constructed for at their LGS.

Firemind

Would paying out in event tickets run into gambling laws or something since you'd basically be playing for store credit at that point? That's what everyone plays Constructed for at their LGS.
They don't want you to trade the tix for cards with third party bots. With LGS store credit, they don't have this issue.

ironmang

So play points are like phantom points. Worth fuck all. Thankfully, it doesn't affect limited events (yet). It pretty much means there will be less packs in circulation, so it's a way to control the value of newly released sets diminishing over time I imagine.

Seems like this puts even more pressure to win drafts since entry fee will be higher.

Firemind

Seems like this puts even more pressure to win drafts since entry fee will be higher.
The entry fee will never be higher than 14 tix though, so three packs will be 12 tix max. It's a shame limited events will stay expensive over time, but redrafts using your packs won will remain unchanged, and now you have the option to trade them for a reasonable amount of tix should you get tired of the format. Flashback drafts are the worst when you consider most sets are almost worthless.

These new changes to MTGO prizes are ridiculous. It feels like they're just firing blindly.

MTGO desperately needs to get away from thinking that it can price like paper Magic. I have a lot of ideas in this space, but nothing particularly well fleshed-out.

God's Beard!";172321088][URL="https://deckbox.org/sets/995603 said:
Trades? Trades? Trades?[/URL]

:3

Here's what I need specifically for some decks I want to finish out:

Legacy Stoneblade
Stoneforge Mystic x4
Jace, The Mind Sculptor
True-Name Nemesis x2-4
Council's Judgement
Umezawa's Jitte
Vendillion Clique
Ethersworn Canonist
Meddling Mage x3

Modern Affinity
Mox Opal x4
Blinkmoth Nexus x4
Inkmoth Nexus x4
Glimmervoid x3
Arcbound Ravager x4
Steel Overseer
Etched Champion

Modern Infect
Inkmoth Nexus x4
Pendelhaven x2
Noble Hierarch x4 (lol @ the price)

Modern Jund
Dark Confidant (RAV) x3
Kolaghan's Command

Prossh Commander
A lot of shit from here.

And I really, really need to update my Deckbox. I haven't used it in over a year. But sure enough as soon as I logged in yesterday to look at it I had trades popping up for my Liliana of the Veil. My sweet, sweet Lili.

kirblar

These new changes to MTGO prizes are ridiculous. It feels like they're just firing blindly.

MTGO desperately needs to get away from thinking that it can price like paper Magic. I have a lot of ideas in this space, but nothing particularly well fleshed-out.
We know why they can't.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So increasing the redemption fee tanked the price of packs across the board, so their plan to address that is... to take away half the packs people were winning from events? Good God, Lemon.

kirblar

anyone wiggin out about @MagicOnline please remember @mtg_lee is "a smart guy" and libertarians are good at running things in real life
Pretty much sums it up.

But that's to be expected when your leadership consists of ex-PT guys who got rejected by R&D and your economic team is led by a CS guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom