• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

What's the pick? Pharika's Disciple which is a body with death touch or Wild Instincts? I took the later but now I'm thinking Pharika should've been the pick.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maybe I missed the format where Chandra's Outrage was playable before, but it's pretty good with Thopters running around.

duxstar

What's the pick? Pharika's Disciple which is a body with death touch or Wild Instincts? I took the later but now I'm thinking Pharika should've been the pick.

Pack 1 pick 1???

I really like a 2/3 death touch and you know that no one wants to block it so it gets the counter and then avoids most burn.

There very much was, actually, considering they have talked quite a bit about her almost getting a reprint but they had to push that back due to MBD rocking standard for a while.

Liliana was completely uninvolved with Zendikar while every other Origins PW was. Exactly the set of PWs who were involved with Zendikar the first time (or in the backstory) are showing up in BFZ. Any and all speculation about a LotV reprint would have been for the large Spring set since anyone who knew anything knew she wasn't going to appear in this set in any form.

I won't be floored if we return to Innistrad already.

I mean, it's 100% happening, just a question of when. We know that Rosewater made a seven-block plan that started with Innistrad, so the first chance to slot a return would be the eighth block, which would be Barrel (Spring 2017.) That would also be eight blocks, and their standard gap seems to be pretty solidly in the 7-10 range.

Sadly there will likely be no Tibalt revival in a return, which is too bad, as I feel like he got a pretty unfair shake of things.

They've pretty much made it clear that every PW character they've introduced is going to get a new card at some point if they're still alive. People liked the character design a lot more than the garbagey card.

Wulfric

Did anyone draft Origins at FNM last night? In our pod of six players, there were 5 painlands opened... the mythics ended up in the other pod of six. :(

Still got 1st place and Path to Exile, which was nice. Fiery Conclusion + Dragon Fodder/Nalaar Thopters happens to get rid of limited bombs rather well.

Matriox

Did anyone draft Origins at FNM last night? In our pod of six players, there were 5 painlands opened... the mythics ended up in the other pod of six. :(

Still got 1st place and Path to Exile, which was nice. Fiery Conclusion + Dragon Fodder/Nalaar Thopters happens to get rid of limited bombs rather well.

Been stuck at work all weekend. Wish I could have drafted ORI.

Firemind

LOOOOOOOOOOL

I just got beaten to death by one hit from a copied Progenitus given double strike by silverblade paladin. I thought it has protection from everything. What a bunch of crock. /saltmode activate

Always love the tournies when a new set comes out :)

PS: Any of you going to Pro Tour Origins as a spectator / etc. Is that a thing that people do?

PPS: Psyched for this Turbo Fog match

Joe Molotov

I played "Oops, All Goblins" last night, with my only spells being Stoke the Flames, Atarka's Command, and Obelisk of Urd. It was definitely not optimal, but I still finished 6th. Goblins ftw.

Yeah, this Turbo Fog deck is literally the troll deck I played against on Cockatrice, I wonder if it's the same guy? I can't imagine there were too many people working on the Day's Undoing UG mill fog deck.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172312646]Yeah, this Turbo Fog deck is literally the troll deck I played against on Cockatrice, I wonder if it's the same guy? I can't imagine there were too many people working on the Day's Undoing UG mill fog deck.[/QUOTE]

Link for me?

Is this how all Turbo Fog decks traditionally do it? With mill? I've only heard of them, but never really understood what they actually do.

Last season they used Maze's End to win the game. In Modern the Lantern Control deck wins by mill, but more accurately by putting cards in your graveyard back on top to slowly deck your opponent over ~30 turns of denying them topdecks.

ironmang

I opened 2 battlefield forges lol. Drafted U/R with a ton of removal and flyers/thopter producers. Managed 3-1 and got my 4th Path.

duxstar

The fact that turbo fog, and a Rally the ancestor's deck are the "talk of the tournament" proves to me how bad SCG player's must actually be. Either that or both of these decks are literally getting the luckiest match ups they can and are running hot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Woah wait - can I play a standard legal mill deck right now? Any info on what to look at? Mind Funeral was my favorite deck ever back when it was legal.

LOOOOOOOOOOL

I just got beaten to death by one hit from a copied Progenitus given double strike by silverblade paladin. I thought it has protection from everything. What a bunch of crock. /saltmode activate

It had protection from everything....

....except love.

Sorry mate, LotV, Goyfs and 2 Hierarchs are the only missing parts to me having all of the modern staples I need for the types of decks I want to play. I won't give up the Goyf until I cash out of the game in 40 years.

I have a spare LotV. What are your trades? PM me if you want.
I believe you had the Mystics, but you may have something else too.

And are those literally the only cards you want?

Just had a disappointing 2-1 with Mana Elf Upheaval. My only loss came to mono-red, and that only because I got horribly land screwed. I had a close call against Storm, but thankfully that deck is generally terrible.

By the way; am I the only one who thinks that this iteration of the Holiday Cube feels less "broken" than previous iterations? You can still certainly get nuts versions of broken decks, but it feels like the "fair" decks are better than they were before.

WanderingWind

I have a spare LotV. What are your trades? PM me if you want.
I believe you had the Mystics, but you may have something else too.

And are those literally the only cards you want?

Those are the big money ones, outside of the Zen fetches, which I'm holding out for trading for at the moment. I do have 4 Mystics up for trade. Honestly, I have too many cards to keep up with a deckbox. What are you looking for? I'm heavy in modern and standard staples, light on Legacy stuff. (Although apparently Entomb is 25 bucks? I have foils of that one. 4, I think).

Those are the big money ones, outside of the Zen fetches, which I'm holding out for trading for at the moment. I do have 4 Mystics up for trade. Honestly, I have too many cards to keep up with a deckbox. What are you looking for? I'm heavy in modern and standard staples, light on Legacy stuff. (Although apparently Entomb is 25 bucks? I have foils of that one. 4, I think).

Pack foils or the Graveborn ones?

WanderingWind

I'm seeing that Turbo Fog in action. It's the stuff nightmares is made out of. But Crater's Claw is a nice sideboard card. Or any number of the blue/black control decks. I'm thinking Esper Thopters is going to be pretty strong next week, at least.

Firemind

$20 for a looter.

i can't.

Just had a disappointing 2-1 with Mana Elf Upheaval. My only loss came to mono-red, and that only because I got horribly land screwed. I had a close call against Storm, but thankfully that deck is generally terrible.

By the way; am I the only one who thinks that this iteration of the Holiday Cube feels less "broken" than previous iterations? You can still certainly get nuts versions of broken decks, but it feels like the "fair" decks are better than they were before.
blue gets worse. fair decks thrive. what a surprise.

i miss time vault

duxstar

Here's a new rule for everyone to follow when a new set comes out for standard.

If you don't know what the meta game is going to be, bring some form of Naturalize effect in your sideboard.

People love graveyards, and janky combos, involving both is like every combo players dream . Does 1 tormods crypt really kill you.

Mono red will probably be a thing, it always is and is one of the easier decks to build. Have a plan.

It literally kills me to see turbo fog, rally the ancestors, and Thopter spy network getting all this hype when cards like Hallowed Moonlight, Hushwing gryff, Back to nature Stubborn Denial, Reclamation Sage, Wild Slash, and Burn away are all cards that are legal in this format.

Reminds me of when Jeskai ascendancy combo was the thing for about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom