• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we were on the subject of the color pie, I thought I'd bring up the chart I made for how I like to look at it. It's pretty useful to me when designing fake cards to think of the colors like this, in a really vague, conceptual way.

thatsmypieaoubz.png

Obviously my idea of where Rakdos should be is... a bit different from how Wizards handles it.

you take that back goddamnit

Worst modern staple.

OnPoint

We need another Tibalt, just go all in and make him a 1-drop this time.

I took the opposite approach a page or two ago and made him a 3 drop. But I like when we all imagine PW cards.

Here's what I want:

Checks all the boxes for me (you know, since I made it).

1. 3-CMC
2. High starting loyalty
3. Generates card advantage
4. Affects the board right away
5. References an old classic (banned) card

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a joke, I think.

I know I laughed.

OnPoint

I basically stapled Sign in Blood to it.

I'm half joking. I clearly designed it to be overly powerful in the way the original Tibalt was designed to be exactly awful.

But I do want something similar to this, albeit balanced.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163943170]This card is better than Sphinx's Rev.[/QUOTE]

Why should white/blue get to have all the fun?

I mean, I could have created a balanced version. But what fun is that?

Kerrinck

Yeah, we really need a decent Rakdos walker besides Fat Sarkhan.
I think every other two color combo has at least one that is good.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163943398]I mean, there's fun broken, and then there's just "you lose" broken.

Flip the two abilities and it's almost unplayable though lol[/QUOTE]

OK. How about this.

I'd do +1: Get a 3/1 token or Target creature gets +2/-2 until EOT (not a modal ability, one or the other), -2 Sign in Blood, random ultimate @ -5 or so. Starting loyalty: 3. But that's just me. I have no idea what a Rakdos modern deck would want out of a PW.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you guys think that the new MTG block will come with full art lands?

Also, is it worth to buy the modern masters 2015 booster box?

No. They only put those in when they think it will drive sales. They don't need help selling a Zendikar block.

I took the opposite approach a page or two ago and made him a 3 drop. But I like when we all imagine PW cards.

Here's what I want:

qGjafNG.png

Checks all the boxes for me (you know, since I made it).

1. 3-CMC
2. High starting loyalty
3. Generates card advantage
4. Affects the board right away
5. References an old classic (banned) card

Its OP: you can't have a 4 loyalty 3-drop that just draws you 2 cards per turn even with the double-draw. The minus is OP for a 3 drop and the -6 is too easy to get to for being Yawgmoth's Will.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah yeah, I know lol That's why I posted a "fixed" version later

I was looking at the fixed one to begin with.

Also, I generated some MM15 Sealed Pools. This format is garbage; have fun in Vegas, guys

OnPoint

I was looking at the fixed one to begin with.

Also, I generated some MM15 Sealed Pools. This format is garbage; have fun in Vegas, guys

Alright alright. Tough crowd.

LMI6wqC.png

Yes I'm aware +4/-4 is probably broken. But I couldn't avoid putting actual Bloodlust on him. Should be +2/-2 or -2/-2 for Disfigure but then he loses his Red identity. So, meh, the ACTUAL ability would probably +2/-2.

Jhriad

Do you guys think that the new MTG block will come with full art lands?

That seems to be a popular opinion but who knows.

Also, is it worth to buy the modern masters 2015 booster box?

Not unless you really want to draft the format and/or really enjoy opening packs. Prices of most of the set will probably be down anywhere from 25-50% from their preorder prices so you're better off buying singles if that's what you're looking for.

Angry Grimace

I'd rather see someone design a Chandra that wasn't horrible.

bigkrev

LMI6wqC.png

Yes I'm aware +4/-4 is probably broken. But I couldn't avoid putting actual Bloodlust on him. Should be +2/-2 or -2/-2 for Disfigure but then he loses his Red identity. So, meh, the ACTUAL ability would probably +2/-2.

This is way worst for Magic than the more broken ones, because it makes creatures with 4 or less toughness unplayable in standard (ie, the Flametounge Kavu problem), and is the most unbeatable planeswalker in Limited since Jace Memory Adept

Chandra%20Fire%20Lady_zpsyaulmvlo.jpg

0 loyalty ability needs some work. Probably slightly OP, but it was so tempting to just steal the ability from Chandra, Pyromaster.

bigkrev

Guys, 3 mana walkers shouldn't be unconditionally killing creatures with their plus ability unless it has some insane drawback and/or limited scope (like only doing 1 damage). That plus ability on Chandra at 3 mana is the same ability that Liliana of the Dark Realms has at 4 mana, except on Liliana it's a -3 (with a starting loyalty of 3).

Jhriad

I'll give this a shot.

Tibalt, the Returned 1BR

+1 Target creature you control gets +1/+0 and Haste
-3 Put a creature card with CMC 3 or less onto the battlefield from your graveyard or hand. That creature gains Haste. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.
-6 You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control it deals 2 damage to target opponent."

3 starting loyalty

OnPoint

This is way worst for Magic than the more broken ones, because it makes creatures with 4 or less toughness unplayable in standard (ie, the Flametounge Kavu problem), and is the most unbeatable planeswalker in Limited since Jace Memory Adept

I was going to make it straight up Bloodlust, where it doesn't reduce toughness below 1. And then didn't feel like typing it out. That would probably fix that problem.

Joe Molotov

LMI6wqC.png

My 6/7 Monastery Swiftspear likes this.

I wouldn't mind if they took another shot at trying to make a 2 cmc 'walker...

Tibalt, Punish Guy RR
+1: Put a 1/1 Red devil creature token into play with "Whenever this is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to you."
-2: Until the end of your next turn, players can't gain life and damage can't be prevented.
-7: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each of your opponents upkeeps, that player looses half of their life total, rounded up."
{2}

Angry Grimace

I wouldn't mind if they took another shot at trying to make a 2 cmc 'walker...

Tibalt, Punish Guy RR
+1: Put a 1/1 Red devil creature token into play with "Whenever this is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to you."
-2: Until the end of your next turn, players can't gain life and damage can't be prevented.
-7: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each of your opponents upkeeps, that player looses half of their life total, rounded up."
{2}

The problem is that there's just not enough design space for a good 2 CMC walker because the abilities can't really be good.

Even on the design you're looking at, the +1 isn't really good enough to warrant RR in a red-aggro deck, the -2 is way too situational (that kind of ability besides being situational, is typically only good at instant speed), and a -7 ultimate on a starting 2 loyalty card that only has a (+1) needs to win you the game outright.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163927348]Black isn't about sacrifice any more than red is about flipping coins. Black's about selfishness and more precisely, introspection. Black knows what it wants and what it takes to get it quickly, and then does it. It doesn't care about the journey where blue does. If blue's pursuits lead to other discoveries, that's just as great. Black just wants the thing at the end.[/QUOTE]
I always felt like Black's focus on tutoring vs Blue drawing cards and filtering is a good example. Blue discovers new things in search of a goal. Black just grabs the card that it wants while ignoring the rest.

You see the same thing with how they mill; Blue reveals new information, Black just targets what you want.

Angry Grimace

If they made a new Tibbles it would probably be like:

Tibalt, "the Tibbles" 3RB
Planeswalker - Tibalt
[4]

+1: Target player draws a card, then discards a card at random.
-2: Exile target card in your graveyard. You may play it until end of turn.
-6: You get an emblem with: "You may play cards in your graveyard. If a card would be put in your graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead."

I always felt like Black's focus on tutoring vs Blue drawing cards and filtering is a good example. Blue discovers new things in search of a goal. Black just grabs the card that it wants while ignoring the rest.

You see the same thing with how they mill; Blue reveals new information, Black just targets what you want.
It only proves black's superiority that any black tutor better than a five-mana legendary creature is too busted to print.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163974385]It only proves black's superiority that any black tutor better than a five-mana legendary creature is too busted to print.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you'd fix that. I mean

1B - is banned in every format and restricted in Vintage
2BB - Sees no play.

1BB, Sac a creature? I don't know. Tutoring shit is overpowered in general.

ultron87

Chandra, the Cheap One RR

+1 Chandra, the Cheap One deals 1 damage to target player.
-1 Chandra, the Cheap One deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
-4 You gain an emblem with "Whenever an instant or sorcery card would be put into your graveyard, exile it instead." and "At the beginning of your end step, you may cast any number of cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs."

2 loyalty

Angry Grimace

Chandra, the Cheap One RR

+1 Chandra, the Cheap One deals 1 damage to target player.
-1 Chandra, the Cheap One deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
-4 You gain an emblem with "Whenever an instant or sorcery card would be put into your graveyard, exile it instead." and "At the beginning of your end step, you may cast any number of cards exiled this way without paying their mana costs."

2 loyalty

The ultimate lets you have infinite turns with Time Warp

ultron87

Okay. That's fine. It's an ultimate. Could probably be -5.

Edit: I guess if there was an existing template for a spell resolving instead of just going to the graveyard, I'd have the third ability use that so you can at least counter a thing to stop it.

I'm not sure how you'd fix that. I mean

1B - is banned in every format and restricted in Vintage
2BB - Sees no play.

1BB, Sac a creature? I don't know. Tutoring shit is overpowered in general.

BB
Sorcery
Tutor a card, reveal it, then lose life equal to its mana cost.

B
Instant
As an additional cost, exile a card from your hand.
Tutor a card, put it on top of your library.

BB
Instant
Sacrifice a land, tutor a card.

B
Instant
Tutor two cards. During your next upkeep, you lose the game.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163979317]BB
Sorcery
Tutor a card, reveal it, then lose life equal to its mana cost.

B
Instant
As an additional cost, exile a card from your hand.
Tutor a card, put it on top of your library.[/QUOTE]

Your first card would get banned in every format immediately.

Your second card would get banned in every format immediately.

Regards,

Angry Grimace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom