• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean if a Mountain enchanted with becomes a creature and takes lethal damage? Then yes, and Genju of the Spires can be returned to its owner's hand.

Yes I meant the enchanted mountain, but my friends keeps telling that the creature would die, but because it's still a land it would not be put in the graveyard. I couldn't understand their reasoning.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes I meant the enchanted mountain, but my friends keeps telling that the creature would die, but because it's still a land it would not be put in the graveyard. I couldn't understand their reasoning.

Your friends are incorrect. A creature that has lethal damage on it dies (goes to the graveyard). It doesn't matter what other card types it has - while the land stops being a creature once it dies, it doesn't stop being a creature until it is already on the way to the graveyard.

It doesn't matter what other card types it has - while the land stops being a creature once it dies, it doesn't stop being a creature until it is already on the way to the graveyard.

Although, that might be a neat way to "save" a creature instead of indestructible / protection / whatever: "Until your next upkeep, target creature becomes an artifact and is no longer a creature."

Or something..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Neoweee

I've actually liked Origins more than Dragons Limited. The big problem is that pack price is way too high relative to the pack contents, which makes queues kind of demoralizing, at least until packs fall closer to 2 Tix.

There are a lot of subtle influences to card valuations, the set is relatively non-bomby and most are at higher costs (5, 6, 7), the removal is there albeit expensive, and the Planeswalkers can actually be interacted with quite easily before they transform.

The set does a lot of interesting things. All 10 of the archetypes seem viable, and there's quite a few good build-around-me uncommons that open up possible 11th, 12th, 13th, etc. archetypes.

hort

Neo Member
Went to my first Magic draft last night and ended up getting first!

I got a priest of the blood rite P1P1 and a nantuko husk P1P2 sooo... I went R/B aggro/sacrifice.

The core of the deck ended up being the priest, 2 husks, 3 dragon fodders, 2 enthralling victors, an act of treason, and a blazing hellhound. Filled the rest with a lot of fast red creatures, a lot with renown (goblin glory seeker is amazing btws), and black spells. Also got a Exquisite firecraft P3P1 so that helped out quite a bit too.

The deck was super fast, usually having 3-4 guys out by turn 3. Had some trouble with a mono green big creatures deck but my act of treasons / enthralling victors and sacrificing the creatures I stole from them for my benefit helped me a lot. Priest of the blood rite won me every game that I was able to play him in. Nobody had an answer to a 5/5 flyer.

Ended up pulling a Erebos' titan and Demonic pact from my prize pacts. I recently came back to the game and played before there were mythics so these were my first two to ever pull from a pack.

The height of professionalism - ringing iPhones on stream. :lol

EDIT: Yuuya has Fiery Conclusion, three Nantuko Husk, two Act of Treason, and four Enthralling Victor. I can't wait to watch his match.

Yuuya's deck is sweet, but Huey's deck is savagely efficient. I think Huey is just going to run over this pod.

Huey has four Freeblades; Yuuya hated two from the other side at one point.

Where the hell are these packs when I draft?

When you draft in a pod where all players know what they're doing, good cards end up going very late in pack 2/3 because the players know when and when not to be tempted by good cards in colors they're not playing.

EDIT: Where did this godawful CGI come from??!! Holy crap it's terrible.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
When you draft in a pod where all players know what they're doing, good cards end up going very late in pack 2/3 because the players know when and when not to be tempted by good cards in colors they're not playing.

I think they stole it from the Age of Empires 2 cutting room floor.

kirblar

From people not being willing to cut it after seeing how godawful it is because it would mean they can't take credit for it.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173654505]
If Yuuya wanted to win maybe he should have drawn better lands :p[/QUOTE]

He obviously didn't have the heart of the cards.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173654850]Yuuki was going to value town though. Anyone that can 3-for-1 you with a Golgari Charm can get there with a less-than-stellar limited deck.[/QUOTE]

He still lost the Golgari Charm match. ;)

Angry Grimace

Gabriel Nassif with a hand of Reave Soul, Managorger Hydra, Outland Colossus, Woodland Bellower, Skysnare Spider. Checks out. Not even sure he's gonna win either.

Yuuya got triply unlucky in his first match. Yuuki misregistered his deck; he played a Meteorite that was not in his deck list. He played it on camera, Marshall said in the commentary that it wasn't in his decklist, but it wasn't "caught" until round 2, giving his round 2 opponent the free win instead of Yuuya.

Yuuya got triply unlucky in his first match. Yuuki misregistered his deck; he played a Meteorite that was not in his deck list. He played it on camera, Marshall said in the commentary that it wasn't in his decklist, but it wasn't "caught" until round 2, giving his round 2 opponent the free win instead of Yuuya.

I wouldn't really call that Yuuya being unlucky because it has nothing to do with Magic for either player.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173666562]I wouldn't really call that Yuuya being unlucky because it has nothing to do with Magic for either player.[/QUOTE]

I know Yuuki's your boy and all, but when your opponent breaks a tournament rule in your match and they get the penalty in the next match, that's kinda unlucky for you.

I know Yuuki's your boy and all, but when your opponent breaks a tournament rule in your match and they get the penalty in the next match, that's kinda unlucky for you.

He didn't break it in their match. He wasn't drawing extra cards or missing triggers or whatever. He broke it before the match during registration. If you start worrying about things outside the game being unlucky for you you're just going to be constantly frustrated. It's like saying Yuuki was unlucky his round two opponent didn't assault a judge before their match and get DQ'd.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173667336]He didn't break it in their match. He wasn't drawing extra cards or missing triggers or whatever. He broke it before the match during registration. If you start worrying about things outside the game being unlucky for you you're just going to be constantly frustrated. It's like saying Yuuki was unlucky his round two opponent didn't assault a judge before their match and get DQ'd.[/QUOTE]

I'd argue that someone bringing a (technically) illegal deck to your match doesn't qualify as something "outside the game." It is "outside his control" of course, and I certainly agree that you shouldn't dwell on what's outside of your control. I simply found it amusing how many things outside of Yuuya's control that could go wrong in that round did, including the exceedingly rare situation of your opponent breaking a tournament rule and the opponent right after you getting to benefit from it.

Angry Grimace

I wonder how many Hangarback Walkers I'm gonna see this weekend. I'm guessing a lot. Card is really good.

Angry Grimace

Eric Froehlich makes the HOF. He's 0-3 and cast a total of 7 spells in the first three rounds. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom