• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from checking out the Pro Tour - I'd say it was worth it?... was interesting to recognize so many players / people and watch them play. Was watching Kentaro Yamamoto's #1 table for a bit, kinda disappointed he drew the last round, but it makes sense.

Jhriad

Maybe it's just me but I've found a lot of these decks more interesting than the Green Devotion/Abzan blah-fest meta of pre-Origins.

Officially a charade, though they seem willing to go back if there's an issue.

I agree both with Sperling that it's dumb not to collect the data at the PT and with Forsythe that ultimately MTGO will be much more informative, since they can actually compare apples to apples there.

Crocodile

I've been looking for copies of Abbot and Demonic Pact for my Cubes for a good bit now but everytime I've actually managed to see another group of Magic players since Pre-Release, nobody has any copies. And now they cost even more! Sigh :(

duxstar

It's hard to say what makes me like or dislike a certain deck but I hate every deck in the top 8. The only 2 decks that I would play from this tournament are the demonic pact decks and the g/w constellation decks.

I don't know where I want to be but it's somewhere in white with hallowed moonlight, revoke existence and Elspeth. Though I don't know how the ruling works with hallowed moonlight and rally the ancestors (if you have to cast before they choose creatures and they respond by leaving everything in the graveyard).

The problem is that the answers you need for r/g devotion and u/r thopters, and abzan are all so different

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So how many copies of Jace in the top 8

just asking

It's hard to say what makes me like or dislike a certain deck but I hate every deck in the top 8. The only 2 decks that I would play from this tournament are the demonic pact decks and the g/w constellation decks.

I don't know where I want to be but it's somewhere in white with hallowed moonlight, revoke existence and Elspeth. Though I don't know how the ruling works with hallowed moonlight and rally the ancestors (if you have to cast before they choose creatures and they respond by leaving everything in the graveyard).

The problem is that the answers you need for r/g devotion and u/r thopters, and abzan are all so different

The way the stack works is as such(Correct me if I'm wrong):

They cast Rally the Ancestors, declaring X. Rally targets all creatures with CMC X or less. You then cast Hallowed moonlight in response. Moonlight Resolves before RtA.

Matriox

Rally the Ancestors says return each creature with that Cmc x or less, so there's no targeting. Once they make x=something they're stuck and Hallowed moonlight can then be cast before it resolves.

Neoweee

I agree both with Sperling that it's dumb not to collect the data at the PT and with Forsythe that ultimately MTGO will be much more informative, since they can actually compare apples to apples there.

Are any play/mulligan statistics actually recorded at PTs typically? If they aren't, collecting them for the new mulligan rule would likely have been quite a bit of organizational overhead that they don't have and might not want to implement on relatively short notice.

kirblar

Are any play/mulligan statistics actually recorded at PTs typically? If they aren't, collecting them for the new mulligan rule would likely have been quite a bit of organizational overhead that they don't have and might not want to implement on relatively short notice.
It's been done before.

OnPoint

Brian Kibler went 9-1 in constructed with (what else) GW http://bmkgaming.com/my-pro-tour-magic-origins-decklist-gw-aggro-9-1-in-standard/

Learn to draft, kids!

Can't wait for the top Standard decks to be posted later today

I want to see him succeed so badly. But he always wants to do it on his terms and that rarely lines up for him (forcing Green the whole year with Lifebane Zombie in standard comes to mind). He's really just playing for fun at this point, and his focus is clearly on Hearthstone, but if he joined a team and learned the draft format he'd almost certainly have a better finish. I know, who am I, he's in the HoF. I just want to see him do better more often, he's fun to watch.

bigkrev

Why? So much of it is based off who gets the better hand & top decks it's silly.

Uh, no. Maybe you should watch some and understand.

Also, watch the Sperling/Cox game 3. An example of finding the only line of play that seals your doom 10 turns later.

Wow. You could write an entire article about that game three. So many choices. So many close calls. I'm pretty sure Pat could have won that game, but I'd have to spend a lot of time breaking it down to see if he made any actual mistakes.

kirblar

Wow. You could write an entire article about that game three. So many choices. So many close calls. I'm pretty sure Pat could have won that game, but I'd have to spend a lot of time breaking it down to see if he made any actual mistakes.
It's the roast turn. He let up the pressure and it cost him,

bigkrev

Yeah, thats the turn. I don't think attempting the lethal Firecraft was a good idea either.

Neither guy writes regularly, but considering they are both friends, I really hope they do a collaborative piece on that game 3

When he Roasted, my initial thought was "I would never have done that," but I never like judging too harshly based on my first reaction. I would have hit for four with Heelcutter + Swiftspear (I think), but again there was a lot to consider at so many points in that game.

With this third match, I really feel like Berrios kept a loose hand G3. I don't know the deck, but it felt really wrong to keep such a do-nothing when the matchup is really all about racing.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Kinda glad Berrios lost. Seems like a douche. Go Australia.

Berrios had such an overwhelming advantage based solely on deck choice, a t2 ensoul just wins vs. a deck with no removal or life gain and just dorks for the first 3 turns.

GG.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173869647]Potential PT invites for SCG Opens? That's huge. Awesome, awesome news.[/QUOTE]

More likely that you'll get PT invites from the Invitationals, but yes, this is huge. This is really good for the game.

ironmang

GP in Ohio! Legacy. Oh.

Very much happy about this. Couldn't go to the one in NJ last year and likely won't be able to make the trip out to the one later this year.

Not quite understanding the planeswalker points multiplier changes. What is a "Finals" event? Like an SCG Open?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Man, at least with mono red, it had SOME counters. U/R's nut draw can only be rivaled by mono red. That's standard for the next month and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom