• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163979920]No tutors that cost more than 2 unless they reprint Dark Ritual.

>:-|[/QUOTE]

Make it BB then. Probably not busted.

BB
Sorcery
Tutor a card.
You can't cast this on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd turns of the game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163979698]Wizards keeping the black mage down.[/QUOTE]

The first card is Demonic Tutor with an irrelevant drawback.

The second card is Vampiric Tutor with an irrelevant drawback because card advantage doesn't work that way because its an exchange of the worst card in your hand for literally the best card in your deck.

The first card is Demonic Tutor with an irrelevant drawback.

The second card is Vampiric Tutor with an irrelevant drawback because card advantage doesn't work that way because its an exchange of the worst card in your hand for literally the best card in your deck.

I am aware of these things. Shhh

Make it BB then. Probably not busted.

BB
Sorcery
Tutor a card.
You can't cast this on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd turns of the game.

>:-|

BB
Sorcery
Tutor a card and reveal it. You gain X poison counters, where X is that card's CMC.

I could make dumb tutor variants all day.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163979317]B
Instant
Tutor two cards. During your next upkeep, you lose the game.[/QUOTE]
Just reprint Contract from Below if you want a way to win the game for 1 mana.

I could make dumb tutor variants all day.

You're more than welcome.

Demonic Professor
imagejuknl.png
imagejuknl.png

Instant
As an additional cost, discard 6 cards.
Tutor 6 cards and add 6 mana of any color to your mana pool. Put the rest of your library in the graveyard.
You lose life equal to your starting life total.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163982077]You're more than welcome.

Demonic Professor
imagejuknl.png
imagejuknl.png

Instant
As an additional cost, discard 6 cards.
Tutor 6 cards and add 6 mana of any color to your mana pool. Put the rest of your library in the graveyard.
You lose life equal to your starting life total.[/QUOTE]

Combo's with Lab Maniac in edh, OP.

Doesn't after edit as easily. lol.

Platinum Emperion could have a pretty good time with this card though.

Demonic Whispers
B
Enchantment
Indestructible, shroud
Demonic Whispers can't be sacrificed.
When Demonic Whispers ETB, tutor. At the beginning of your upkeep, unless you pay BB, you lose 2 life.

kirblar

Dystopic Tutor 2B

Search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

Pick an opponent. That opponent names a card. You reveal your hand and exile any copies of the named card.

Flashback 4U

Erebos' Secrets
1BB
Sorcery
Search your library for a card with converted mana cost X or less, reveal it, and put it in your hand where X is your devotion to black. Then shuffle your library.

Looming Wisdom
[no cost]
Sorcery
Suspend 3 -- B
Tutor

Tutored by Myth
2BB
Sorcery
Tutor.
If you control a legendary creature, tutor twice instead.

Big Time Tutoring
5BB
You may pay WUBRG instead of paying this card's mana cost.
Tutor for three cards.

Ok I lied - I can't do this all day, I have other things to do.

ultron87

Duplicast Flare 2UR

Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast to cast Duplicast Flare, reveal a nonland card from your hand.

Search your library for any number of cards with the same name as the revealed card, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Spellstacker Mage UR
Cards you cast with Storm have Storm.
2/2

Erebos' Secrets
1BB
Sorcery
Search your library for a card with converted mana cost X or less, reveal it, and put it in your hand where X is your devotion to black. Then shuffle your library.

response quicken planar cleansing, get bodied

Jhriad

I'll link it again. I keep opening better than msrp using this site, so yes.

http://www.magicdrafting.com/modern-masters-2015-sealed/?format=box

Let's just point out a few problems here.

First, it's using TCG Mid prices. If you're looking to sell your cards after you've cracked the packs you're not going to get anywhere near TCG mid prices. Second, it's counting the mid value of commons and uncommons. The vast majority of those you'll only be able to sell at bulk prices. Third, those prices are unlikely to remain where they are for long, particularly the less used rares, so unless you're planning on using the packs for something other than just cracking (like draft or sealed) the value you get from them is most certainly not going to be MSRP post release. I'll reiterate that unless you want to draft with the packs or are into cracking packs for the sheer joy of it the average person is better off buying the singles after peak supply has been established.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only thing you can sell is Remand and money rares/mythics. Everything else is worth 0 in real life.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163988839]sealed product for value is for saps, buying MM sealed product for value is for super saps[/QUOTE]

its not our fault you spent all your money on bogles dude

inthrall

Inherent Genius UB

Search your library for a card, then exile it with three delay counters on it. At the beginning of each upkeep, remove a delay counter. Then, if there are no delay counters on that card, put it in your hand

The true power manifests when the disciple knows what he needs before it is needed

Thoughts?

its not our fault you spent all your money on bogles dude

I made my money back pretty quick, though. And I traded away most of the bogles cards before the full spoiler was out anyway.

If I bought a popular deck it'd take me way more time to get my investment back. Between the two boxes and the GPT I won with the deck I definitely came out ahead.

3 Win-a-box entries -$33
1 PPTQ entry - $25
1 GPT entry - $25
1 GP side event entry - $25
Cards purchased -~$200
total spendings: ~$311

Prize payouts - ~$300
Cards sold - $150
Total return: ~450

So I'm up about a hundred bucks after only playing the deck for a few months and I still have some of the cards left for trade(2 daybreaks, 2 leylines, 4 inquisition 4 path etc)

If Wizards didn't ban Treasure Cruise so quickly I think I could have made more money. I'm not playing Modern seriously right now because I don't have a deck as good as bogles was for those few months.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Inherent Genius UB

Search your library for a card, then exile it with three delay counters on it. At the beginning of each upkeep, remove a delay counter. Then, if there are no delay counters on that card, put it in your hand

The true power manifests when the disciple knows what he needs before it is needed

Thoughts?

Make them time counters and see if some bizarre deck springs up

Inherent Genius UB

Thoughts?

It may not need as many as three counters. I think it's a very interesting idea.

inthrall

It may not need as many as three counters. I think it's a very interesting idea.

Yeah, I had it at two initially, but getting your last combo piece on turn 4 with all your mana up seemed borderline op. Could very easily be changed to that if you like pushing power levels

Yeah, I had it at two initially, but getting your last combo piece on turn 4 with all your mana up seemed borderline op. Could very easily be changed to that if you like pushing power levels

Two was what I was thinking as a sorcery, but you may be right that getting the card turn 4 may be too much.

OnPoint

Inherent Genius UB

Thoughts?
It's certainly interesting. I wanna try.

Making the Sausage B
Instant
Search your library for a card
and exile it face down with two
delay counters on it.
Sacrifice a creature: remove a counter.
When there are no delay counters on
Card, put it into your hand.​

y2dvd

I thought it was always a given that singles are just better way to go and to never expect to sell at full price. You can typically get trades at same value at least. I'm getting a box at a hook up price, I want to draft with it, I want to get high opening packs, and I enjoy trading, so it's worth it to me.

Of course prices will go down once lots of packs are open. But in the same token, prices will go up a year later or so. So I can only go by what the prices are in the now.

Angry Grimace

I thought it was always a given that singles are just better way to go and to never expect to sell at full price. You can typically get trades at same value at least. I'm getting a box at a hook up price, I want to draft with it, I want to get high opening packs, and I enjoy trading, so it's worth it to me.

Of course prices will go down once lots of packs are open. But in the same token, prices will go up a year later or so. So I can only go by what the prices are in the now.

I don't think the average person buys packs as an investment. Its because people like gambling even when they lose money.

red13th

Inherent Genius UB

Thoughts?

I love this.
Here's my Tibalt:

Tibalt, the Planeswalking Devil. BR

+1: Creatures your opponent control attack next turn if able.
-1: Search your library for a card and put it in your hand, then discard a card at random.
-3: Draw four cards, lose half your life rounded up.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163988839]sealed product for value is for saps, buying MM2015 sealed product for value is for super saps[/QUOTE]
Fixed

I bought a box because why the hell not and opening packs is fun. I'll be shocked if I get 1/4 value back at any point, short or long term.
But I'll keep buying boxes.

Angry Grimace

I bought a box because why the hell not and opening packs is fun. I'll be shocked if I get 1/4 value back at any point, short or long term.

Put the jank in EDH decks. Its easy.

BFZ art dream team:

• Full art lands: Veronique Meignaud
  • Eldrazi: Peter Mohrbacher
  • Black cards: Karla Ortiz
  • Green cards: Terese Nielsen
  • Blue cards: Izzy
  • Red cards: Steven Belledin
  • White cards: Richard Wright
  • Artifacts: Raymond Swanland

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163997365]
  • Full art lands: Veronique Meignaud
  • Eldrazi: Peter Mohrbacher
  • Black cards: Karla Ortiz
  • Green cards: Terese Nielsen
  • Blue cards: Izzy
  • Red cards: Steven Belledin
  • White cards: Richard Wright
  • Artifacts: Raymond Swanland
[/QUOTE]

I'd be pretty happy that Black is my color of choice if this were the case.

but a lot of the jank rares aren't even playable

like why is this a rare?

en_onDrh3ABrl.png

lol, holy shit

EDIT:

On the notion of what a mono-black character that isn't embarrassingly one-dimensional would look like: Something akin to the Chaos philosophy in Shin Megami Tensei is always what I had in mind; i.e. a genuine belief in the virtues of absolute freedom and that harsh competitiveness and survival of the fittest is requisite for the long-term health of society. You have to go beyond the "personal gain" aspects of black and consider the values more generally, otherwise you're locked into Saturday morning cartoon characterisation territory

lol, holy shit

EDIT:

On the notion of what a mono-black character that isn't embarrassingly one-dimensional would look like: Something akin to the Chaos philosophy in Shin Megami Tensei is always what I had in mind; i.e. a genuine belief in the virtues of absolute freedom and that harsh competitiveness and survival of the fittest is requisite for the long-term health of society. You have to go beyond the "personal gain" aspects of black and consider the values more generally, otherwise you're locked into Saturday morning cartoon characterisation territory

Ayn Rand?

ElyrionX

I would do this if not for the fact that dealing with the massive amount of jank is a pain in the ass.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163937494]Since we were on the subject of the color pie, I thought I'd bring up the chart I made for how I like to look at it. It's pretty useful to me when designing fake cards to think of the colors like this, in a really vague, conceptual way.

thatsmypieaoubz.png

Obviously my idea of where Rakdos should be is... a bit different from how Wizards handles it.[/QUOTE]

I love this.

But.. Fine Arts?!

Yeef

but a lot of the jank rares aren't even playable

like why is this a rare?

en_onDrh3ABrl.png
It was originally printed at rare, so they just kept it there.

It's also a really sweet cube card. It's pretty solid cube card. It's put in a lot of work in my friend's Vintage cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom