• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

"Why did you play the deck?"
"Well... I was promised an Abzan deck. And that didn't come through. This is what I was offered"
"So you have never played with the deck before this tournament?!?"
"Yep"

AMAZING

For some reason I thought wish effects allowed you to grab stuff from exile as well, but looking over the comp rules it looks like not?

They did when it was "removed from the game" but once exile became a zone they stopped being able to. That's a bummer since I feel like it cut out a notable part of their functionality, although it did eliminate some of the Stupid Spell Tricks infinite-loop combos.

UR Mill in GP San Diego finals :D

This deck is hilarious. I'll admit I didn't give Sphinx's Tutelage a second glance as a serious competitive card.

But a better solution may be to close this community thread when the OT opens, move the OT to community when spoiler season ends, move it back to OT when "Sweat" spoilers start, then move it back to community. And if that works out, we repeat for "Tears". The only thing lost by this process, compared to having two separate threads, is that we probably won't have 400 page topics anymore.

From your post, I'm guessing this is what you already had in mind, but I just realized this possibility.

Yeah, this is what we want to try out. It's an experiment so we have to see how it plays out, but I'm hopeful it'll have a pretty positive effect on the thread.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174847422]stop giving kirblar more fuel Majors[/QUOTE]

Mill wins the GP? Alright, I'm in. Fuck that mulligan rule. If more crazy-stupid-awesome decks can win without the mulligan rule I'm all for keeping it as it stands. Of course this is without seeing any actual numbers to back up the argument for either side so I'm really just excited that a Mill deck won.

OnPoint

Think any of the Neo-Eldrazi will have the "if this goes into the graveyard from anywhere, shuffle your graveyard back into your library" clause?

kirblar

Mill wins the GP? Alright, I'm in. Fuck that mulligan rule. If more crazy-stupid-awesome decks can win without the mulligan rule I'm all for keeping it as it stands. Of course this is without seeing any actual numbers to back up the argument for either side so I'm really just excited that a Mill deck won.
Thopters was the #1 most played deck in D2.

None made T8.

Jhriad

Thopters was the #1 most played deck in D2.

None made T8.

I didn't watch any of the GP until the last two matches. Were the Thopter decks just that much more inconsistent today or was everyone packing answers? The deck just feels like it's pretty easy to hate out if you sideboard with it in mind.

OnPoint

If we get new titan(s) I would think so, keeping them out of reanimator will probably still be a priority.

I'd have assumed the same thing, but I'm wondering if the UR Mill deck becomes an accidental casualty because of it. Would be kind of cool if they planned it this way -- give the UR Mill deck a run for a few months then nuke it when BFZ lands because the titan(s) may have that clause.

kirblar

I didn't watch any of the GP until the last two matches. Were the Thopter decks just that much more inconsistent today or was everyone packing answers? The deck just feels like it's pretty easy to hate out if you sideboard with it in mind.
Likely both. Thopter hugely benefit from the extra look- they get more T2 nutdraw starts.

edit: Sam just confimed on Twitter that they missed Tutelage. (Likely supposed to have been a limited build-around-me.) Apparently they had the U/R draw engine in testing, but couldn't find a good kill condition to use it with.

Toxi

Banned
Think any of the Neo-Eldrazi will have the "if this goes into the graveyard from anywhere, shuffle your graveyard back into your library" clause?
I'm hoping they instead just shuffle themselves back into your library. As is, they're kinda annoying in Commander.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If we get new titan(s) I would think so, keeping them out of reanimator will probably still be a priority.

Shuffling themselves to library is a more restrictive version of that and "If X goes to graveyard, exile it instead" would be an even more restrictive version of that.

Yeef

Both Game Day events we did were like 30~45% Thopter decks, though not all the same build. Mono-red also had a pretty big showing, but did poorly.

OnPoint

Shuffling themselves to library is a more restrictive version of that and "If X goes to graveyard, exile it instead" would be an even more restrictive version of that.

Oh snap. Imagine if they did exile themselves upon hitting the graveyard, but then you could cast them from exile after they die. Would play into the whole Eldrazi mythos and power set.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No it's GioGio.

latest
The protag of part 5. Some artist on pixiv likes drawing JoJo characters as pudgy little birds.

Firemind

This is basically a deck where Treasure Cruise is actually Ancestral Recall. In Standard. With Lava Spike as a bonus. I wonder if it'll get banned...

RIP Cycle for U in BFZ.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Love the Mill. I have everything for the deck, except for, you know, Jace. And I don't want to spend 150 bucks to get them.

Went 2-2 at GP Hong Kong before deciding to leave to play the Modern Tournaments playing Bogles. Went 3-0 in the first one before I had to leave on Saturday, and 2-2 on Sunday. Beat Grishoalbrand, Scapeshift, MartyrProc, Little Kid Azban, and a self-brew playing 4 colors, maindeck Blood Moons+Twin combo. Kind of like Temur Twin but with Magus of the Moon and Swords. Lost to Jund and Grixis Control in close games. I love Bogles, but it is hard to play when it loses to the two most popular decks in the format. I would love to play more Burn and Affinity because Bogles eats them up.

The G option is way too good relative to the W one if this were to be a full cycle. Also, if they want this effect, they already have the M10/INN lands.
My guess is that the G option would have been different for other lands, though I suppose it's a moot point.

OnPoint

The G option is way too good relative to the W one if this were to be a full cycle. Also, if they want this effect, they already have the M10/INN lands.

It'll be mix and match of these abilities:

W - Gain 3 life
U - Draw 3 cards
B - Add 3 black mana
R - Eally, I'm joking
G - ood times

Honestly though, it would be cool if it were something like:

W - Gain 2 life
U - Look at top 2 put back in any order
B - Target player loses 1 life
R - Discard a card, draw a card
G - Add G to mana pool

Adding a G does seem a little too powerful, and it's hard to design a blue space without going into Scry. I also tried to stay away from dealing damage in Red and made sure each ability would do something despite the board state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom