• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissa went from being a racist bitch and having one of the worst planeswalker cards in the game to becoming two different Standard and Cube staples and the hero/face of another set. Pretty meteoric rise if you ask me.
It's also lousy writing and retconning. It seems they've written out the fact she was a racist entirely, rather than intending to use it as a way to strengthen her character.
Kiora feels more blue than green. I don't know why she's blue/green but I didn't follow the story in Theros closely. Something about stealing Thassa something something.
She cares about nature just as much -- if not more -- than knowledge. Were she true blue, she'd abduct the sea creatures and augment them to perform better (like Simic).

Honestly, Kiora seems to be blue just for the sake of her merfolk race, I see no other blue traits about her. She doesn't even study her sea monsters.

Are we going to wager which planeswalkers we see bite the dust in the BfZ block? It's time some got written out so we could rotate in a new crop. How about Kresh?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how nobody asked the creative panel about Nissa's story being entirely retconned and instead tried to ask them questions about esoteric drafting rules.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Are we going to wager which planeswalkers we see bite the dust in the BfZ block? It's time some got written out so we could rotate in a new crop. How about Kresh?

It might be Sorin. I hope its not though, Sorin is like, one of the best characters they have right now
I like how nobody asked the creative panel about Nissa's story being entirely retconned and instead tried to ask them questions about esoteric drafting rules.

They did actually, IIRC. Got fobbed of with some bullshit answers

It might be Sorin. I hope its not though, Sorin is like, one of the best characters they have right now

It seems like Sorin will not actually be in this block. The planeswalker roundup posted before PAX mentioned that he was sent off to get Nahiri; I had previously assumed that Ugin would go "oh well, let's go to Zendikar anyway, but you really should have gotten her first", but that appears to not be the case. Plus, he hasn't been in any new art, including for Oath.

The Technomancer

It seems like Sorin will not actually be in this block. The planeswalker roundup posted before PAX mentioned that he was sent off to get Nahiri; I had previously assumed that Ugin would go "oh well, let's go to Zendikar anyway, but you really should have gotten her first", but that appears to not be the case. Plus, he hasn't been in any new art, including for Oath.

Hm, I thought we saw some art that was almost certainly him falling off a cliff, but in retrospect that makes more sense. They can use the Origins characters for this block and Sorin, Nahiri and (maybe Ugin) can all show up for Kozilek Boogaloo

Hm, I thought we saw some art that was almost certainly him falling off a cliff, but in retrospect that makes more sense. They can use the Origins characters for this block and Sorin, Nahiri and (maybe Ugin) can all show up for Kozilek Boogaloo

All of the kor have white hair and skin, so you probably confused one for Sorin.

kirblar

"We need to make sure our characters align with our company's values"

Translation: Don't expect anything other than cookie-cutter Mary Siue types other than Liliana who is OBVIOUSLY EVIL.

Apparently telling the story of someone raised in a racist environment who learns to overcome their upbringing and become a better person was too hard for them to tell.

The Technomancer

Translation: Don't expect anything other than cookie-cutter Mary Siue types other than Liliana who is OBVIOUSLY EVIL.

Apparently telling the story of someone raised in a racist environment who learns to overcome their upbringing and become a better person was too hard for them to tell.

I don't even think Liliana is "obviously evil" anymore.

Hackworth

So we can look forward to #SorinIsUseless2k15 continuing?

Daedardus

I really, really like all of the Noah Bradley full-art lands. Just saw a feature where he showed how he oil painted all of them. I do wonder now, how much does Wizards pay to artists for the cards? I imagine things like the full-art in oil painting or other paintings for special/rare/powerful cards fetch a higher price than a CG art for a vanilla critter, but what's the range we would be looking at?

They were asked, actually. The answer was 'she was made to be a xenophobic villain in duels, and now she's supposed to be a hero so we changed things'.

I'm big into the lore, and really I don't care. Most of the walkers are super blank slate and it's not like she was the only one with retcons and changes. Gideon, Chandra, and Jace were all tweaked in Origins. All the characters have been receiving changes to make them less bland.

The real problem is that they didn't take the care to do this when they made the characters to begin with.

The Technomancer

They were asked, actually. The answer was 'she was made to be a xenophobic villain in duels, and now she's supposed to be a hero so we changed things'.

I'm big into the lore, and really I don't care. Most of the walkers are super blank slate and it's not like she was the only one with retcons and changes. Gideon, Chandra, and Jace were all tweaked in Origins. All the characters have been receiving changes to make them less bland.

The real problem is that they didn't take the care to do this when they made the characters to begin with.
That's sort of arguable for me. Their Origins stories didn't exactly grab me, they were all just variations on the same thing.

That's sort of arguable for me. Their Origins stories didn't exactly grab me, they were all just variations on the same thing.

The nature of 'sparking' a planeswalker has always been samey tho. It's always a goku going super saiyan situation. What I meant is that previously these characters were mostly ciphers and now they're actually characters.

The Technomancer

The nature of 'sparking' a planeswalker has always been samey tho. It's always a goku going super saiyan situation. What I meant is that previously these characters were mostly ciphers and now they're actually characters.

They're all the same character. Seriously five characters and they're all outcasts, rebels or urchins? The "driven by their ideals" part I can at least get since they're meant to be our new embodiments of monocolor philosophy but still

jph139

I feel like they're boiling the Origin 5 into the most archetypal versions of the colors. Nissa = Green = Nature. Chandra = Red = Angry. So on, so forth. Make them basically unobjectionable so that people can cosplay them and use them as avatars and post their quiz results on social media...

Their current push is "Magic as an identity" and, with their big name Planeswalkers, too much depth or too many flaws are liabilities when it comes to widespread acceptance.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The idea that Origins somehow made the characters less bland blows my mind.

They're all the same character. Seriously five characters and they're all outcasts, rebels or urchins? The "driven by their ideals" part I can at least get since they're meant to be our new embodiments of monocolor philosophy but still

Outcast, rebel, and urchin are 3 distinct things actually. I think you're saying 'why couldn't any of them be more normal?'. I think it's more that they have the same arc in those stories.

My general point is that previously they weren't their own characters, they were just avatars for the color pie. Now they have motivation, a tied down history, and distinct character traits.

Personally, I've been disappointed to see the disregarding of old lore. Kid Chandra started using tons of fire magic and didn't lose all of her memory and that makes me a little sad.

Angry Grimace

The problem I have with retconning Nissa is that the only thing MTG lore really has going for it is a lot to draw on.

Making it all unreliable is just dumb.

shaowebb

For those that missed the news, Magic the Gathering is teaming with Puzzle Quest this fall on the App Store, Google Play, and Amazon App store for "Magic the Gathering- Puzzle Quest"

Link to article on it

Quick Highlights on play mechanics

Sounds like a great mobile title, and as a Marvel Puzzle Quest player I can say that it sounds like it is building upon a lot of the best aspects of MPQ and going in a very new and more open direction with them to make it more suited to Magic the Gathering.

Keep your eyes open. MPQ is one of the highest rated and played titles out so I could see big things from this tie in.

sdvcQSOBSH.png

You may be in luck :p

Woot!

Not even remotely true. Some companies set themselves up as "premium" or some similiar adjective. Other work on more of a tier system, where there is room for everybody.

Practically speaking that's not where the wind is blowing. Every entertainment business is built around targeting people upmarket nowadays, and Magic is no exception.

Honestly, given how many entry-level products they have now, how accessible drafting still generally is, how easily you can play Commander or whatever without spending a fortune, I don't think the cost of Modern is actually that big an issue for the medium-term health of the game. Long-term they need to get it in shape because they need at least one healthy non-rotating format (and Modern's the option they've got) but they have a pretty long timescale to work with. (And the most recent problems are price hikes far beyond what they were planning for two years ago with Khans/MM2/etc. so the lag time will be a bit longer.)

For those that missed the news, Magic the Gathering is teaming with Puzzle Quest this fall on the App Store, Google Play, and Amazon App store for "Magic the Gathering- Puzzle Quest"

Link to article on it

Quick Highlights on play mechanics

Sounds like a great mobile title, and as a Marvel Puzzle Quest player I can say that it sounds like it is building upon a lot of the best aspects of MPQ and going in a very new and more open direction with them to make it more suited to Magic the Gathering.

Keep your eyes open. MPQ is one of the highest rated and played titles out so I could see big things from this tie in.

*shrug* I loved PQ1 and PQ2 and thought MPQ was a steaming pile of shit. I honestly don't have high expectations for this.

But yeah, WOTC is fucken dumb if they think putting 6 or 7 Planeswalkers per block story is a good idea and then just not giving them all cards.

If we're right about Gideon/Ob/Kiora in BFZ and Jace/Chandra/Nissa in OGW then it's just the real basic fly-by cameos like Sorin and Ugin who don't get cards, and they were both specifically in the last block for this exact reason.

Maro specifically said large sets are 3 PW and small sets are 2 PW. The only reason I take this seriously is because I doubt he'd lie about it on the very first set of the 2-set paradigm.

He's made more of a point than usual of saying that the "default" was 3/2, that things would shift around in the new paradigm, and that the most important thing was how many were in Standard at one time, which all to me sounds like a hedge on a 6-PW block.

Are we going to wager which planeswalkers we see bite the dust in the BfZ block?

They're not gonna kill Kiora because she fills a useful role (unlike Xenagos who is lol red-green-smash PW number 3), they're not gonna kill Ob yet because they need to flesh out their rogue's gallery, they're not gonna kill anyone in the Oathwatch picture because lol Power Rangers, so... nobody?

*shrug* I loved PQ1 and PQ2 and thought MPQ was a steaming pile of shit. I honestly don't have high expectations for this.

That's because MPQ (like this, sadly) was a licensed-out sack of crap.

They're not gonna kill Kiora because she fills a useful role (unlike Xenagos who is lol red-green-smash PW number 3), they're not gonna kill Ob yet because they need to flesh out their rogue's gallery, they're not gonna kill anyone in the Oathwatch picture because lol Power Rangers, so... nobody?
:(

Crocodile

Thinking about this a bit more, its kind of amazing how samey/boring a lot of the PW cast is. Like I don't hate them or anything but there is barely an ounce of charisma in the whole lot (ally or villain). Like Gideon wants to help Zendikar because he has a boner for helping people and Nissa wants to help because she lives there. What really distinguishes them personality wise even superficially? The OG Power Rangers had more personality and more diversity among them than the "Origin 5".

Leading a coalition of like every race on Zendikar against the Eldrazi seems like a great backdrop to have this character growth moment too :/

OnPoint

They usually put PW on the pack art. I was already a believer. If this doesn't confirm it for people I don't know what will.

I was at PAX. The Eldrazi/Zendikar stuff all over was really cool.

I'm not jazzed on the whole special lands thing, and am a little butthurt about it. I don't like uber mythics. I even hate actual mythics but tolerate them. Just reprint the damned fetches already. I'm sick of this crap.

Also, Newlamog sucks.

kirblar

Only 5/25 of the special lands have serious cost issues atm. I like having the random cash prize payout in packs for people.

The term "Tangoland" bothers me :( I don't want to ever have to use it in a conversation or read it in articles or hear it on podcasts. It's certainly clever, but a full Cringe-Factor 10, in my opinion.

That said, I believe the battle is lost :(

EDIT: Two frowny faces without intending to. Not even gonna change it, lol

Killing people just to kill people is the lowest form of hack writing anyway. (I submit the Scars of Mirrodin novel as evidence.)

Surprised that Kiora is real but the name from the board game is still wrong!

I'm not jazzed on the whole special lands thing, and am a little butthurt about it. I don't like uber mythics.

They're not uber mythics, they're just fancy foils.

Just reprint the damned fetches already.

They 100% already have a plan in place to do this within the next couple years and this doesn't detract from it in any way.

It's certainly clever, but a full Cringe-Factor 10, in my opinion.

what factors in to the "Cringe-Factor" for cutesy, in-group nicknames being chosen for overly expensive pieces of cardboard used to play a children's card game, exactly

Some dude hosting a holiday cube draft on cockatrice just spouted a bunch of super sexist shit about the inherent subservience of being female. It was completely unprovoked and he went on for like two paragraphs in the group chat. Then I said as long as he's accepted his misogyny I guess I can't complain. He proceeded to call misogyny a myth and kicked me.

What a weird evening.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177282113]Some dude hosting a holiday cube draft on cockatrice just spouted a bunch of super sexist shit about the inherent subservience of being female. It was completely unprovoked and he went on for like two paragraphs in the group chat. Then I said as long as he's accepted his misogyny I guess I can't complain. He proceeded to call misogyny a myth and kicked me.

What a weird evening.[/QUOTE]

hashtag magicplayers

hashtag magicplayers

Hashtag Nerds

I mean, Magic is wierd to me in that WotC is super inclusive and yet a outspoken portion of the fanbase is a a sack of dicks. Like, 90% of Magic players I know are friendly and inclusive, but the 10% that aren't are among the worst people in fandom. It's wierd to me.

Re: more than five PWs in a block:

maro said:
metallix87 asked: Is it possible for a block under the current structure, say Battle for Zendikar, to have more than five planeswalker cards?

Five is the default but the word default means there is the possibility for other numbers.

I rest my case!

I mean, Magic is wierd to me in that WotC is super inclusive and yet a outspoken portion of the fanbase is a a sack of dicks.

That's because WotC R&D is made up mostly of humanities majors and pleasantly enthusiastic nerds, while a significant portion of Magic player communities self-select for people who think eating cheetos in a 100 degree greenhouse while surrounded by BO is a worthwhile way to spend a Saturday.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Hashtag Nerds

I mean, Magic is wierd to me in that WotC is super inclusive and yet a outspoken portion of the fanbase is a a sack of dicks. Like, 90% of Magic players I know are friendly and inclusive, but the 10% that aren't are among the worst people in fandom. It's wierd to me.

I'd say you are being generous with that ratio. Closer to 50-50 from what I've observed. Although it differs greatly depending on what kind of event you are attending and the size of it.

I'd say you are being generous with that ratio. Closer to 50-50 from what I've observed. Although it differs greatly depending on what kind of event you are attending and the size of it.
Yeah, I'm probably being overly generous and where I play is of note(I used to live in a Small Town before University, so my LGS would barely have the 8 needed for Draft some nights) so the player size is smaller then most.

As for land name, I'm inclined to lean towards Tango, only because it's a fitting unique name. BB isn't bad though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom