• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is their official response btw:

This company desperately needs better management.

That's fucked. The insulation that anybody who got damaged cards just bought theirs from some off-brand vendor is garbage.

Yeah, this statement was released in response to the YouTube videos of people resealing MM packs after removing cards. They have not responded to the card quality issues.

All banter aside, the packaging damaging the cards, especially for a high cost, premium item, is simple unacceptable. They really ought to make amends on this one. Not sure how you'd go about doing that, but they can't just ignore this.

Second print run of MM2 in standard booster packs
printed in MM1 quanities with a price hike to $15 a pack

y2dvd

From what my store owner told me, you should be able to send it back to Wizards and have the card replaced. It may be different for regular customers tho. But yeah, I saw plenty of damaged cards in limited play. You could easily identity that card. I can see more serious players being hella pissed because that's an easy giveaway if anyone picks that card if they are looking out for it.

But yeah, they jack up the price of the product only to have less EV than MM1, and to have a damaged product. My lgs does drafts for $30, which is msrp don't get me wrong, but msrp should've been lower anyways and the prizes are pack per win for standard packs. I already did 2 drafts on top of the sealed and got a box on the side. I think WotC got enough of my money for the set.

Hey MagicGAF. After spending altogether too much time and money on the project, I've finally settled on an initial 360 card list for a peasant cube.

You should all draft it on CubeTutor!

My group's current cube is just a goodstuff pile, so I wanted something with a little more intentional design and a flatter power level. It might just be the dumb bots, but I end up with something I'm interested in playing every time I test draft it, so I'm pretty excited!

Sorry for the late response - a few thoughts:

1) In practice, Azorius Guildmage is a mono-white creature (you will rarely, if ever, use the blue ability on her). I put Dauntless River Marshall in that slot in my cube, and I actually prefer the larger body (even though the tap ability is more expensive).

2) Rakdos Guildmage is really underpowered. I would suggest a different Rakdos gold card; maybe Blightning or Bituminous Blast (the latter is a staple, in my opinion).

3) Enlisted Wurm is a solid card, although not super exciting. However, if you add him alongside Bit Blast, you can have a 5-c deck with the dream cascade curve, which is epic when it happens.

4) Loxodon Warhammer is miserable to play against because literally any deck can use it. I do like Behemoth Sledge, which is mostly the same, but forces you into a color combination to use it. Warhammer is just...yuck.

5) Shrine of Burning Rage is a red card, Shrine of Loyal Legions is a white card, Momentary Blink is an Azorius card, etc. With a smaller cube, color balance matters a bit more than with a large cube (plus, I'm just personally a bit OCD about it).

6) Skullclamp is OP. It's so much stronger than the other cards in your cube; it will warp games in ways that will get un-fun quickly. I would suggest cutting it.

7) Crystal Shard is another miserable card. You have a lot of bounce support in blue already; Shard is redundant and just really, really un-fun to play against. (This is more of a personal opinion; I know other people who think this is a C/Ube staple.)

8) Balance? O_O That card wasn't ever common/uncommon.

9) Consider Curse of Shallow Graves as an add; that card is bonkers at giving aggressive decks staying power.

And if you just want to compare to another C/Ube, here's a link to mine:
http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/9949

ironmang

Not even related to EV but I think MM2015 draft is a lot worse than Modern Masters draft.

Also more expensive than MM1 and following one of my favorite draft formats of the last few years, DDF. Basically just drafted to get that experience once much like the Conspiracy draft I did last year.

red13th

Thinking of joining twitter to ask Rosewater two questions, which won't be answered, I know, but he's the official spokesperson from MtG and all that shit so.

1. If Unset 3 is unfortuantely made, would it take the place of another supplemental set release or would it be an addition to the schedule? Unset 3 seeing print is bad enough on its own but it taking the place of an actually useful supplemental product like Commander or Conspiracy would be dowright awful.

2. Are the recyclable booster packs already considered a failure by WotC, or do you consider the "solution" of mailing Customer Service enough to deal with the fact that it's not uncommon to get damaged cards out of an unopened booster pack from a premium set?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I bought a box and got Primeval Titan, Vendilion Clique, Iona, Shield of Something, Emrakul, and a Goyf. 90% of my rares were garbage, but my mythic opening rate wasn't bad at all.

Then I realized I wasn't sure why I bought a box. I'm still unsure.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
At this point I don't even know what I'd want to trade for. I don't have a modern deck list at all. All I play is standard and EDH (limited sprinkled in there). So I must brainstorm what to do with these cards.

I gotta apologize, Grimace. Inquisition is perfectly good in standard because we have Disdainful Stroke to pick up the pieces. Might wind up seeing the card more in the main.

At this point I don't even know what I'd want to trade for. I don't have a modern deck list at all. All I play is standard and EDH (limited sprinkled in there). So I must brainstorm what to do with these cards.

Well if you want standard cards let me know, I just didn't really stick them on my list.

Jhriad

From what my store owner told me, you should be able to send it back to Wizards and have the card replaced. It may be different for regular customers tho.

I'll link it again but anyone can send in their damaged cards for replacement if the set is in the replacement window. Here's the link for more information. It might take a month for the cards to get sent back but they do usually include a booster pack as well for your trouble.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164996673]Not enough trading going on here.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of non-Standard cards. Most of the cards I would want to trade for are Modern/EDH playables since I need to build up my collection on that end. I really doubt most folks would be interested in trading Shocklands, or any other staple card, for Standard cards.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of non-Standard cards. Most of the cards I would want to trade for are Modern/EDH playables since I need to build up my collection on that end. I really doubt most folks would be interested in trading Shocklands, or any other staple card, for Standard cards.

I don't really care one way or another, but the only Standard cards I'd be interested in right now are more fetches. I've pretty much got everything from the Khans block I could want.

2. Are the recyclable booster packs already considered a failure by WotC, or do you consider the "solution" of mailing Customer Service enough to deal with the fact that it's not uncommon to get damaged cards out of an unopened booster pack from a premium set?

I think we'll have to wait a bit and see what the actual problem rate is like on this one. There have been, I think, at least three situations where they had packaging or sorting problems severe enough to take public steps, so if it really proves to be an enormous issue they'll probably say something about it.

red13th

I got a bunch of Played commons and uncommons straight out of a pack, they were worthless so whatever, but people got damaged mythics. I'd be super pissed if it happened to me.

Joe Molotov

I didn't notice any damaged cards, but I saw several foils that looked really dark. I'm not sure if it was just certain cards or what.

89CIL2o.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh god I just realized his toys are being balanced on a doberman slave's head.

lmao

I apologize for me being rushed and not putting this into order... and I know that I have more cards to trade and more 'wants' for that matter.
All of my cards are M/NM condition and I will ship in a hard plastic top loader.

Standard cards that I have for trade:

Flooded Strand (Khans)
Wooded Foothills FOIL (Khans)
Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker FOIL
Thoughtseize (Theros)
Siege Rhino
Boon Satyr
Fleecemane Lion
Mardu Strike Leader
Myth Realized
Arcbond
Sultai Charm x5, one FOIL
Mardu Charm
Temur Charm
Zurgo Bellstriker
Kheru Lich Lord
See the Unwritten
Sandsteppe Citadel FOIL
Crackling Doom
Savage Knuckleblade
Craters Claws
Anafenza, The Foremost
Dragon Throne of Tarkir
Pearl Lake Ancient
Ashcloud Phoenix
Sultai Ascendancy
Mardu Ascendancy
Duneblast
Utter End
Ankle Shanker x2
Kheru Spellsnatcher
Pine Walker FOIL
Master the Way FOIL
Ghostfire Blade x2, one FOIL
Herald of Anafenza
Hardened Scales
Mistfire Weaver FOIL
Jeering Instigator
Hordeling Outburst

Non-Standard cards that I have for trade:

Liliana of the Veil
Batterskull FOIL with awesome art
Master of Etherium x4
Etched Champion x2
Steel Overseer x2
Tempered Steel
Indomitable Archangel
Platinum Angel x2
Voice of Resurgence x4
Archangel of Thune x3

Wants:
Polluted Delta x3, Wooded Foothills x4, Windswept Heath x4, Bloodstained Mire x4, Cryptic Command x2, Vendillion Clique x2, Secure the Wastes x3, Kolaghan's Command x3, Shadow of Doubt x2, Spellskite, Dark Confidant (RAV) x3, Tarmogoyf (LOL) x 4, Huntmaster of the Fells, Monastery Swiftspear x4, Monastery Mentor x4

I'm thinking about getting into Legacy so I'd want Stoneforge Mystic, Jace the Mindsculptor, True Name Nemesis, and stuff like that. I also wouldn't mind Dack Fayden. But this is an endeavor I'm still not completely sure about... not that you all have this stuff to trade anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Took WR Equipment to the finals of a sealed and split to get my entry back. Only money in that pool was Fulminator Mage and Wilt-Leaf. Surprised at that archetype even working.

Used my credit on a full set of Splinter Twins plus some Remands and traded my Foil Confidant off for 3 Cryptic Commands. Now I just need to trade to Steam Vents and think hard about what to do about Scalding Tarn.

Cube thoughts

Thanks for the advice. I've acted on a few items:
- I cut balance (I have no idea what I was thinking) for an actual rarity downgrade card, Soltari Champion.

- I reclassified the shrines, flashback cards, manlands, etc. more honestly. I've restored color balance except for an excess card in golgari (spider spawning). I should probably cut Rot Farm Skeleton, but I want to test him out first.

- I think you're right about Warhammer and Skullclamp. The former seems overpowered in a really boring way, and the latter is just broken. I threw in Icy Manipulator for now. I don't know if I can bring myself to cut Crystal Shard.

- Begrudgingly cut Rakdos Guildmage for Bit Blast. I like the versatility of the guildmage, but the abilities are pretty costly.

I've played a little bit with Curse of Shallow Graves, and it's absurdly good. I feel strange putting cards balanced around multiplayer in the cube (this one and Custodi Squire are the strongest candidates), so I'm leaving it out for now.

Thanks for the advice. I've acted on a few items:
- I cut balance (I have no idea what I was thinking) for an actual rarity downgrade card, Soltari Champion.

- I reclassified the shrines, flashback cards, manlands, etc. more honestly. I've restored color balance except for an excess card in golgari (spider spawning). I should probably cut Rot Farm Skeleton, but I want to test him out first.

- I think you're right about Warhammer and Skullclamp. The former seems overpowered in a really boring way, and the latter is just broken. I threw in Icy Manipulator for now. I don't know if I can bring myself to cut Crystal Shard.

- Begrudgingly cut Rakdos Guildmage for Bit Blast. I like the versatility of the guildmage, but the abilities are pretty costly.

I've played a little bit with Curse of Shallow Graves, and it's absurdly good. I feel strange putting cards balanced around multiplayer in the cube (this one and Custodi Squire are the strongest candidates), so I'm leaving it out for now.

Custodi Squire is really good, but you're right that the card is...awkwardly worded in a 1v1 game. I have it in my list, but only because I think the card is strong enough to justify it.

In the end, cubes are a personal expression of Magic. If there's a card you love and your play group loves it, play it even if you're not "supposed to."

Yeef

Amusing moment at today's draft. Guy at my table opened a foil Comet Storm and, at the same moment, at the table next to us, someone opened a foil Goyf. (Foil Heirarch and Foil Clique were also opened, though not from draft packs).

Curiosity? That seems ambitious. I guess you can usually find ways to sneak it in as a cantrip and mitigate the disaster, but that's one of those classically "bad" cards.

You know, the more I think about it, the better the Curiosity looks. With Mandrills and Delver as evasive threats, plus Tarmogoyf as a huge beater, finding a time to stick a Curiosity on and get value out of it is probably not that hard, especially with cheap counterspells to protect your threat. I'd love to see video of this deck in action.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was sitting around thinking about what the best deck in Modern would be if everything was unbanned and what card would be super broken in that hypothetical format. And then I was like "oh yeah, fucking Skullclamp." I think Faeries would literally be the best deck in the format if that shitty card was legal.

ironmang

I was sitting around thinking about what the best deck in Modern would be if everything was unbanned and what card would be super broken in that hypothetical format. And then I was like "oh yeah, fucking Skullclamp." I think Faeries would literally be the best deck in the format if that shitty card was legal.

There are cards like skullclamp and hypergenesis that are in an entirely different section of the banlist. Not even Jace or SFM would actually destroy modern like some of the super-banned cards.

Angry Grimace

I like the idea of the SUPER BANNED list, although I don't know what else would be as ridiculous as Skullclamp and Hypergenesis. There's a dude on SA who argues in favor of Sword of the Meek because "you could hate it out," but I think that combo is more overpowered than he's imagining. Maybe the Artifact Lands? Dark Depths, even.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like the idea of the SUPER BANNED list, although I don't know what else would be as ridiculous as Skullclamp and Hypergenesis. There's a dude on SA who argues in favor of Sword of the Meek because "you could hate it out," but I think that combo is more overpowered than he's imagining. Maybe the Artifact Lands? Dark Depths, even.

Artifact Lands aren't a problem without Affinity. Same with Dark Depths and Hexmage. Super Banned list makes sense for cards like Skullclamp and Hypergenesis where their power is so ridiculously broad that you have to ban them because you can't ban all the other pieces

Angry Grimace

The Modern Banned series video series with Hypergenesis was just ridiculous.

I kinda want to go to GP Providence, but I'd have to crack top 8 to make my money back from traveling coast to coast lol

Maybe I'll just have to wait for the new format and be satisfied with GP San Diego. You going, Grimace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom