• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

I haven't really been playing the last month or two (too much work) but going to Utrecht on Thursday. Should be good.

Are there any big changes I need to make to my twin sideboard? I was running the stock lists from february

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165148032]I kinda want to go to GP Providence, but I'd have to crack top 8 to make my money back from traveling coast to coast lol

Maybe I'll just have to wait for the new format and be satisfied with GP San Diego. You going, Grimace?[/QUOTE]

Not a chance.

Unless I get a lot better at Magic in between now and then.

G.ZZZ

Hypergenesis with no Force is just too strong. The shortest list you can have and still have a functional format with many decks is imho:

- Hypergenesis (this is a 3 mana i-win card, if the format had FoW it wouldn't be as stupid, but as it is it can't be answered at all on T2 on the play except by blue and MM doesn't do anything against it)
- Skullclamp (this legal would kill control in any shape or form, and Elves! would be the best deck in the format by far)
- Treasure Cruise (Ancestral recall good card)

This format would have imho:

Combo
- Elves! best deck in the format but relatively easy to hate (MM, forked bolts, chalices etc..)
- Splinter 2nd best combo, but way harder to hate
- Dredge, easier to hate than splinter, but need a completely different set of hate to stop

Control
- Miracle (Countertop + Terminus + Entreats. Brainstorm loss is huge compared to legacy miracle, but you get MM and the format in general is much less powered)
- Stoneblade variants with Sword of the meek/thopter foundry etc..
- 12-Post , worse against other control lists and against combo, but crush anything "fair" that does not play hate for it

Tempo
- Uxx MM+delver-based tempo decks. The usual stuff, Goyfs, Forked bolts, MEntal missteps, Snapcasters, Pyromancers etc... predate mostly on elves!

Midrange
- BUG cascade is still viable i think, being pretty much the legacy deck (no therapy or twists hurt though)
- Jund variants? Mass B discard to stop post/combo, cheap removals to stop elves, and efficient value cards like BBE, GSZ and shit

Aggro
- Burn is always viable in a format with shocks+fetches as manabases
- Affinity is completely legal, and incredibly fast, but is incredibly easy to hate out
- Whitehate decks with cavern, Thalia and shit would probably be pretty good considering how many counterspells and how thigh mana curves would be in this format

The problem with this format is that it's essentially Legacy without wastes, Duals and FoWs, without lot of the broken and accelleration like Petal, LED, Monolith, Ritual etc... It would be like only half a turn slower than legacy (possibly more thx to MM being legal and not as broken as it was in legacy due to average much higher curve), and would probably kill legacy straight since it'd be so similar to it. Don't think the format would be just comboland because non-blue midrange existed in legacy for the longest time (at least until TC and DTT were printed) and were viable and hated combo decently with just thalia, kotr, teegs, chalices, spheres etc...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hypergenesis with no Force is just too strong. The shortest list you can have and still have a functional format with many decks is imho:

- Hypergenesis (this is a 3 mana i-win card, if the format had FoW it wouldn't be as stupid, but as it is it can't be answered at all on T2 on the play except by blue and MM doesn't do anything against it)
- Skullclamp (this legal would kill control in any shape or form, and Elves! would be the best deck in the format by far)
- Treasure Cruise (Ancestral recall good card)

This format would have imho:

Combo
- Elves! best deck in the format but relatively easy to hate (MM, forked bolts, chalices etc..)
- Splinter 2nd best combo, but way harder to hate
- Dredge, easier to hate than splinter, but need a completely different set of hate to stop

Control
- Miracle (Countertop + Terminus + Entreats. Brainstorm loss is huge compared to legacy miracle, but you get MM and the format in general is much less powered)
- Stoneblade variants with Sword of the meek/thopter foundry etc..
- 12-Post , worse against other control lists and against combo, but crush anything "fair" that does not play hate for it

Tempo
- Uxx MM+delver-based tempo decks. The usual stuff, Goyfs, Forked bolts, MEntal missteps, Snapcasters, Pyromancers etc... predate mostly on elves!

Midrange
- BUG cascade is still viable i think, being pretty much the legacy deck (no therapy or twists hurt though)
- Jund variants? Mass B discard to stop post/combo, cheap removals to stop elves, and efficient value cards like BBE, GSZ and shit

Aggro
- Burn is always viable in a format with shocks+fetches as manabases
- Affinity is completely legal, and incredibly fast, but is incredibly easy to hate out
- Whitehate decks with cavern, Thalia and shit would probably be pretty good considering how many counterspells and how thigh mana curves would be in this format

The problem with this format is that it's essentially Legacy without wastes, Duals and FoWs, without lot of the broken and accelleration like Petal, LED, Monolith, Ritual etc... It would be like only half a turn slower than legacy (possibly more thx to MM being legal and not as broken as it was in legacy due to average much higher curve), and would probably kill legacy straight since it'd be so similar to it. Don't think the format would be just comboland because non-blue midrange existed in legacy for the longest time (at least until TC and DTT were printed) and were viable and hated combo decently with just thalia, kotr, teegs, chalices, spheres etc...

You would have control(ish). Bitterblossom with Skullclamp for the brokens.

If Hypergenesis was too good just run Chalice on 0.

Firemind

I haven't really been playing the last month or two (too much work) but going to Utrecht on Thursday. Should be good.
I haven't played magic seriously in like two years besides the on and off drafting on MTGO. I didn't even have enough PWPs to play the WMC qualifiers last year. (two points short!)

I'm planning on joining the big sealed trial event on Thursday. €45 for six packs is too much value to pass up. Maybe I'll see you there! I don't have a modern deck unfortunately. :lol

Angry Grimace

If chalice on 0 was a problem I'm sure they'd find a way through it. Ingot Chewer would become relevant in modern lol.

They could, but they'd have to sit around digging for hate. Opponents would probably have 4 Chalices too, which would all be free to cast.

I still think Skullclamp Faeries or Elves would be the dominant deck. Hypergenesis is broken because of Cascade; Skullclamp is broken because its fucking Skullclamp.

In a positive note on the MM2 fuckups, apparently one of the guys at my LGS up in San Fran opened a 16-card booster with two foils - Karn Liberated and Primeval Titan. The rare was Elesh Norn.

Seems like a couple other guys up there got double-foil packs as well, but nothing that crazy.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165166215]In a positive note on the MM2 fuckups, apparently one of the guys at my LGS up in San Fran opened a 16-card booster with two foils - Karn Liberated and Primeval Titan. The rare was Elesh Norn.

Seems like a couple other guys up there got double-foil packs as well, but nothing that crazy.[/QUOTE]
Hey fuck that guy.

ironmang

They could, but they'd have to sit around digging for hate. Opponents would probably have 4 Chalices too, which would all be free to cast.

I still think Skullclamp Faeries or Elves would be the dominant deck. Hypergenesis is broken because of Cascade; Skullclamp is broken because its fucking Skullclamp.

Well I'm sure they'd have 4 ingot chewers and possibly more artifact hate bringing it up to ~50% or more chance of it being in the opening hand. I'd definitely be betting on the hypergenesis player even if 100% of his opponents are playing 4 chalice in the side. Skullclamp is very broken but if it dies quickly the game goes on. If hypergenesis resolves it's almost always game over.

bigkrev

Did a second draft, and opened a Cryptic, Blinkmoth, and then a Bob in a prize pack. Traded my Goyf and Bob for foil MM1 Vendillion, 2 Ugins, and a HP Spellskite.

f0rk

/r/magicTCG is trying to tell me that swapping out an opened draft pack is a good solution to opening money cards...

Angry Grimace

So then they only have to Ingot once to cascade their Hypergenesis out. I'm not sure what your initial point was with having multiple Chalices...

You're a lot more likely to have one. You literally cannot cast multiples on 0, dude.

Well I'm sure they'd have 4 ingot chewers and possibly more artifact hate bringing it up to ~50% or more chance of it being in the opening hand. I'd definitely be betting on the hypergenesis player even if 100% of his opponents are playing 4 chalice in the side. Skullclamp is very broken but if it dies quickly the game goes on. If hypergenesis resolves it's almost always game over.

Hypergenesis has to draw into relevant cards to drop into play + get up to the mana to play it. Pretty much any counter magic for Hypergenesis and the Hypergenesis player is pretty much fucked since they're not gonna suspend it and hope to win.

y2dvd

After tallying my MM2 rares...

<$40-31 - 2
<$30-21 - 1
<$20-11 - 4
<$10-6 - 2
<$5-2 - 7
<$1 - 8

Why so many janky rares? -_-

bigkrev

BTW, has anyone tried to open packs in the way that video warning about how easy it was to open/reseal packs? I was trying today, and it seemed impossible to do if you don't have a way to remove the adhesive, which doesn't seem to be possible without damaging the pack to the point where it couldn't be passed off as sealed.

Just had a nailbiter of a game against myself playing Sultai vs Temur. Sultai deck has no hand and Wayfinder out on turn 20 with 4 life versus the Temur deck's double Jeskai Sage and 1 card in library.

Sultai topdecks Den Protector for the lock. Temur's final card was Magma Jet, which would have won the game. What a sweat. Whip vs Planeswalkers + Keranos can be a real grind fest.

I must love Magic if I have this much fun goldfishing.

Firemind

You're a lot more likely to have one. You literally cannot cast multiples on 0, dude.
Hypergenesis isn't a play on t2/3 or bust, dude. They can wait just like Living End. And they have Krosan Grips in the sb on top of Ingots.

Hypergenesis has to draw into relevant cards to drop into play + get up to the mana to play it. Pretty much any counter magic for Hypergenesis and the Hypergenesis player is pretty much fucked since they're not gonna suspend it and hope to win.
They play multiple cascade spells, one of them being instant. Good luck leaving mana open to counter three of them. If you really want to shut the deck down, play Blood Moon.

FeD.nL

Angry Grimace,

I just recieved the Godless Shrines, which lands should make room for the set? I already took out the 2 City of Brass for 2 Sorins.

Matriox

Man. There are a bunch of great cards in Tarkir block that seem dirt cheap right now.. Siege Rhinos on eBay for $17 (set) and Tasigur's for $21 (set) seem like great buys...

Sarkhan Dragonspeaker is $6, Wingmate Roc $12 (set), Sorin, Solemn Visitor $8

Fetches have been climbing a few cents here and there the past few weeks, you should be buying those now if you have any interest in owning them. Right now is probably the cheapest you will be able to get them since their bottom has already passed.

EDIT:

X7iVqBj.jpg

Most played top 3 modern cards from the past 30 days.

Great job on Serum Visions wotc.

ironmang

Fetches have been climbing a few cents here and there the past few weeks, you should be buying those now if you have any interest in owning them. Right now is probably the cheapest you will be able to get them since their bottom has already passed.

I could see them dropping a bit in the future though at either rotation or the printing of zendikar fetches. A lot of people are using replacements for catacombs and tarns right now.

Matriox

I could see them dropping a bit in the future though at either rotation or the printing of zendikar fetches. A lot of people are using replacements for catacombs and tarns right now.

Its possible, but I'm not sure if its worth taking a risk for them to drop another $1 max where they could go decently higher than they are currently.

Been wanting to pick up Tasigurs for a minute. Now is probably the time to strike, huh?

Yeah, anything from Khans block you want for Standard get now. You're probably already too late on the foils for Modern/Legacy, though.

I got rid of both my foil Dig Through Times in trades for Snapcasters, unfortunately. I don't know if I'd horde fetches, though. It's gonna be a while before they skyrocket even though they were drafted less than the shocks were. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple creeped up past 20 bucks while they were in Standard, though.

kirblar

I would strongly recommend picking up a set of Disrupting Shoals if you don't have them. That Modern deck using them was probably not a fluke.

Kirblar, what do we expect for the land cycle in Origins? I'd be happy with filterlands, but I'm sure most people are guessing painlands. There's been a slight increase in the value of allied painlands the past few months, but that could just be in line with inflation from commander players as well. Filterlands would be huge for the dragon decks in standard, though.

I don't expect to be able to get insane value from speculating like I did on the event deck caves of koilos again.

I hope it's Filter lands so badly. I need a playset for my Elves Modern Deck and it's kind of absurd that there's no NM ones in stock on any of the major Canadian Sites.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165243486]Kirblar, what do we expect for the land cycle in Origins? I'd be happy with filterlands, but I'm sure most people are guessing painlands. There's been a slight increase in the value of allied painlands the past few months, but that could just be in line with inflation from commander players as well. Filterlands would be huge for the dragon decks in standard, though.

I don't expect to be able to get insane value from speculating like I did on the event deck caves of koilos again.[/QUOTE]
I have no clue. I'd assume allied lands of some sort, given that we're likely in for enemy fetches.

I actually don't like filterlands and wish they would avoid rotating them through Standard.

edit: Apparently Shoal's been 15 bucks before. Buy in now. That deck really is legit, it feels a lot like a bootleg legacy deck.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165246372]Any particular reason other than being weaker in aggro decks?[/QUOTE]
They make tracking mana in pool and availability difficult for both players, enable wonkiness, lead to more draw/manascrew variance- I think a variant on them (maybe CIPT w/ Tap: Add B or G or (B/G), Tap, add BG) could function better.

But Shoal is a shitty Force of Will.
Most of the removal is 1 or 2cc, as are the counters.

They make tracking mana in pool and availability difficult for both players, enable wonkiness, lead to more draw/manascrew variance- I think a variant on them (maybe CIPT w/ Tap: Add B or G or (B/G), Tap, add BG) could function better.
You don't want too many taplands in standard if they're gonna print manlands in Zendikar though :)

I think filters would be good with Mana confluence, scrylands, enemy painlands and Urborg leaving the format. Would help a lot with the 3-color decks.

kirblar

But Phantasmal Bear dies to anything anyway.

Or is there a Modern Merfolk list that showed up out of nowhere?
God's Beard was right!
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165247164]You don't want too many taplands in standard if they're gonna print manlands in Zendikar though :)

I think filters would be good with Mana confluence, scrylands and Urborg leaving the format.[/QUOTE]
I don't think they'll print them right now- I was speaking in general design term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom