• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

What? Four Hooting Mandrills? I... What?

lol I posted the decklist yesterday as a JPG.

To quote myself:

Uh oh...

WXLH61y.png

Hooting Mandrills winning Modern Opens...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
10 years from now, are people even going to be playing Legacy? The entire format revolves around 1st to 3rd edition duals which haven't been printed in 20 years, large numbers of which were probably destroyed ages ago.

Matriox

10 years from now, are people even going to be playing Legacy? The entire format revolves around 1st to 3rd edition duals which haven't been printed in 20 years, large numbers of which were probably destroyed ages ago.

More than likely the same people that are playing today.

OnPoint

I'm hoping beyond hope that some sort of system will be put in place for Legacy reprints. Otherwise the format will just fade away.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Angry Grimace,

I just recieved the Godless Shrines, which lands should make room for the set? I already took out the 2 City of Brass for 2 Sorins.

The Caves of Koilos. I play more basics than a lot of people because I like to avoid getting demolished by Blood Moon (and this deck only needs one black source the vast majority of the time - Inquisition, Thoughtseize and Sorin all require only one black source and practically all of your tokens generators need lots of white).

Man, I just can't beat GW Devotion preboard with Sultai. Definitely my worst matchup and it's coming back so I'll have to take another look at my list.

Even the mainboard lock I have of Silumgar + Atarka to kill all the morphs every turn isn't as good as I was hoping. I might swap the Downfalls and Sultai charms to side and main, respectively. Downfall is pretty much only there for Ashiok, anyway. Needs testing. I don't think bringing the third dragon to the main will help.

Likely both, and in addition, it's unlikely you'll be able to activate Tasigur often.

Yeah, Gurmag attacks through Tasigur and the average 4/5 Goyf which is a huge deal. Foils are already like 7 bucks and are probably going up lol

Angry Grimace

Gurmag Angler isn't even close to being Tarmogoyf haha.

I think this is going to be my new sideboard for Sultai:

• 1 Treasure Cruise
  • 2 Stratus Dancer
  • 2 Disdainful Stroke
  • 1 Self-Inflicted Wound
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 2 Sultai Charm
  • 2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
  • 1 Dragonlord Silumgar

A little more game against Abzan Aggro and GW Devotion is nice, I'm not that worried about the other matchups.

If Tarmogoyf ends up getting dethroned (even partially) by a common, that's really good for Modern.

Well, they're not in the same decks so I doubt that Angler will affect how many Goyfs are played. Angler wants to be in low curve cantrip decks and Tarmogoyf likes thoughtseize decks. I'd be surprised if the Temur Delver deck picks up steam, though. Some of the cards are a bit awkward.

G.ZZZ

I'm hoping beyond hope that some sort of system will be put in place for Legacy reprints. Otherwise the format will just fade away.

Legendary dual lands and situationally better duals (like Horizon Canopy) are your best bet i think. WotC won't reprint duals because they don't like money, look at MTGO.

Situationally better duals would be something like:

Painland
Land
As this ETB, your opponent lose 2 life.
T: R or B, you lose 1 life.

Better for aggro and combo too probably, worse for control

RecycleLand
Land
T: add 1
T, put target card from a graveyard on the bottom of its owner library: add W or G

Can't be played on T1, better in any other situation.

Meditateland
Land
As this ETB, scry 1 and your opponetn gain 3 life.
T: add W or U

You get the idea. Ofc they'd have to be printed in commander products or similar.

Angry Grimace

So our MM15 drafts have been $30, but it's pack per win for standard packs. Seems fair?

Ours were $35 and the payout was:

3-0= 5 Packs or $50 Store Credit
2-0-1= 3 Packs or $30 Store Credit
2-1= 2 Packs or $20 Store Credit

*Modern Masters 2015 packs

The payout was different at the other store that did 4 rounds.

Yeef

Painland
Land
As this ETB, your opponent lose 2 life.
T: R or B, you lose 1 life.
Scapeshift would like this a lot. As would mono red. Being able to run 16 shocks that don't take up a spell slot and can't be countered or prevented is really good.

hermit7

A friend and I cracked a box today and was pretty pleased overall with the pulls.

Got a foil Emrakul which was the best of the box but also pulled a mox opal, and Elesh Norn. As the mythics.

Rares were pretty good also pulled a cryptic and also a noble hierarch.

Pleased overall as I essentially made my money back at least which obviously wasn't the goal but it does feel good.

Going to slot some of those into my edh decks that I have a more casual Karametra and a Lazav deck. I may rip them apart and make a rw with Aurelia because she is sweet.

y2dvd

Ours were $35 and the payout was:

3-0= 5 Packs or $50 Store Credit
2-0-1= 3 Packs or $30 Store Credit
2-1= 2 Packs or $20 Store Credit

*Modern Masters 2015 packs

The payout was different at the other store that did 4 rounds.

I would gladly pay $5 more for a payout like this. I am cry. ;-;

Urborg was a black legendary land in M15, so it's only fair they reprint a white legendary land in Origins. Come on Karakas! Papa wants to bounce Undead Visier every turn!

C'mon HerosBlade.dec, let's go!

So I'm recently employed (poorly) after a long stretch of no job. As a celebration of that, I traded in a Bloodstained Mire and an Atarka's Command to my local shop for 1 pack of MM15. Positive reinforcement? Pulled a Noble Hierarch. And this will probably be the only MM15 product I own. I consider the set a success.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165241341]Yeah, anything from Khans block you want for Standard get now. You're probably already too late on the foils for Modern/Legacy, though.

I got rid of both my foil Dig Through Times in trades for Snapcasters, unfortunately. I don't know if I'd horde fetches, though. It's gonna be a while before they skyrocket even though they were drafted less than the shocks were. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple creeped up past 20 bucks while they were in Standard, though.[/QUOTE]

I still have my foil Dig Through Time that I pulled from a pack. I thought that with the banning it wouldn't be worth much but I'm glad that it is still decent.

Yeef

Hixus, Prison Warden 3WW
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
Flash
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, if Hixus, Prison Warden entered the battlefield this turn, exile that creature until Hixus leaves the battlefield.

I'm guessing they're going to do another cycle of Legendary creatures similar to M13 as the intro pack rares. Apparently, this guy is Gideon's mentor, so more than likely, each one will have a connection to the respective walker. Maybe we'll see Liliana's brother.

Angry Grimace

It really is best to quit while you are ahead when it comes to cracking packs.

I had a blast this weekend opening a box, trading all the stuff I pulled into a Twin deck and then playing Limited several times, winning one of them for credit.

If I had opened 50 Creakwood Lieges, I suppose I'd be more upset :p

Jhriad

I'd say that Gideon Fat Pack art is worse.

I'm sure Chinese fakes are more than able to make up for the loss of old duals due to damage.

bigkrev

I'm a giant fan of how anyone who is scheduled to play Kibler in the Standard Super League just assumes he's going to play a green creature deck and brings a deck with a strong matchup. This week was modern, and Tom Ross brought Tron against Kibler's Zoo deck and just destroyed him

I fully expect someone to just have maindeck Hunt the Hunted's in their deck at some point vs him.

I've been sitting on a box of Conspiracy for about a year now with the intention of drafting it for fun with some friends I've made at the LGS. With just the single box, what's the ideal number of people to have in the draft? I really don't remember the ideal numbers for this? Does it work best with a single 8 man pod? Or does it run better as a series of 4 mans? Cause with 36 packs, I could possible run three 4 man pods since I'm not playing any prize support. We're all opening my packs so I can use the cards to create a Conspiracy themed cube.

Oh, and I plan to have 3 packs in reserve to select for Lore Seeker: Darksteel, Modern Masters 2015, and Lorwyn.

Yeef

I've been sitting on a box of Conspiracy for about a year now with the intention of drafting it for fun with some friends I've made at the LGS. With just the single box, what's the ideal number of people to have in the draft? I really don't remember the ideal numbers for this? Does it work best with a single 8 man pod? Or does it run better as a series of 4 mans? Cause with 36 packs, I could possible run three 4 man pods since I'm not playing any prize support. We're all opening my packs so I can use the cards to create a Conspiracy themed cube.

Oh, and I plan to have 3 packs in reserve to select for Lore Seeker: Darksteel, Modern Masters 2015, and Lorwyn.
Either 8, 6 or 9 or ideal (2 4-man games, 2 3-man games or 3 3-man games). An actual box will support up to 12 players, but more than 9 people tends to make any draft format a little weird in terms of signals and wheeling.

Angry Grimace

I still can't figure out why people lose their shit over demanding Bloodbraid Elf being unbanned. Cascade is literally the dumbest mechanic ever printed in Magic. No, its seriously dumber than Storm.

Hero

I still can't figure out why people lose their shit over demanding Bloodbraid Elf being unbanned. Cascade is literally the dumbest mechanic ever printed in Magic. No, its seriously dumber than Storm.

Free spells are broken for combo. BBE is only good for beatdown/midrange decks which aren't really that viable in Modern.

BBE just had to take the first bullet that was aimed at Jund when it was meant for DRS but hasn't come off the unbanned list. One free random spell is still not as powerful as answer this aura at instant speed or lose the game.

Angry Grimace

Free spells are broken for combo. BBE is only good for beatdown/midrange decks which aren't really that viable in Modern.

BBE just had to take the first bullet that was aimed at Jund when it was meant for DRS but hasn't come off the unbanned list. One free random spell is still not as powerful as answer this aura at instant speed or lose the game.
To sum up my feelings on Cascade, I will just quote:

"Cascade was fucking stupid. It is so fucking stupid I cannot imagine a reasonable designer playing Magic and going “hmm yes well this mechanic is rather magical” and not “this mechanic is fucking stupid.” Designers might not be the ones that have to decide exactly what mana cost and power/toughness something ends up as, but they should be able to playtest, say, a three-mana 2/2 with your new mechanic and go, “this mechanic is fucking stupid." Cascade is inherently incredibly powerful: you get something that could cost only one mana less than the spell you played, so if you hit a spell that costs that, any non-cascade parts of the card only cost one additional mana. This probably means that you would get, say, a vanilla 2/1. Instead, Alara Reborn gave you a 3/2 with haste. That’s so beyond what it should be that it’s just not in the same stratosphere."

Hell, there wasn't even a three-mana 2/2 with Cascade until they printed Shardless Agent in Planechase and it became the namesake of a fucking Legacy deck. All I'll say is that I would way rather have Hypergenesis in the format than literally any of the fucking Cascade cards, including Bloodbraid Elf. Its a stupid, broken mechanic that doesn't do anything good for the format except make Jund get a free 2 for 1 off a dumb mechanic that shouldn't exist.

I'm guessing they're going to do another cycle of Legendary creatures similar to M13 as the intro pack rares. Apparently, this guy is Gideon's mentor, so more than likely, each one will have a connection to the respective walker. Maybe we'll see Liliana's brother.

I would be really surprised if there aren't two cycles. If this set is supposed to tell the origins of the PW characters, they'll each need a supporting cast.

Liliana's brother is certainly a possibility, though my guess for a Liliana-related legend is Kothophed, who we've seen a design for and who's already dead so it's kind of their best shot at printing him.

Cascade is stupidly undevelopable. I can't believe they made a free mana mechanic in 2009. They should've damn well known better. Splice and Forecast are dumb too, but at least they had the common sense to nerf them out of the gate.

ElyrionX

Agreed. It is stupid. If it was an ETB trigger, it would have still been stupid but much less so. But it being an on cast mechanic just takes it way over the top.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
You can counter it if it's ETB and not get the ability. You could further fix it by having a "ETB if played from hand" trigger.

Or even if Cascade wasn't tied to the spell's casting cost. Like a 6cmc creature that has Cascade 2 and only pulls spells with cmc <3

Or even if Cascade wasn't tied to the spell's casting cost. Like a 6cmc creature that has Cascade 2 and only pulls spells with cmc <3

Giving dev another knob to turn other than the mana cost would've been a great idea. Who the fuck developed Alara Reborn, anyway? What rubes.

ironmang

I don't mind cascade in bloodbraid decks at all. So many decks can win the game by turn 4 that cascading into potentially abrupt decays or bolts isn't all that impressive. Even discard is seldom good several turns in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom