• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

goddamn that box just owned my face

0 Remand
0 Bolts
0 anything
1 Mythic, which was fucking Tezzeret

Literally just 2 Daybreak Coronet
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
, which are rapidly becoming as worthless as the deck its played in.

Don't buy sealed product even if you like gambling kiddies! (Boy am I glad my wife just got that new job!)
I feel your pain. My box was a dud.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey, now, I'm in prize support in this MODO draft forcing R/W Equip (nobody ever fucking takes this archetype) despite rare drafting Noble Hierarch, Splinter Twin (I passed on dumb 'ol Kiki-Jiki).

Firemind

Man, sealed sucks. Got a pool with one karoo at a GP trial (Golgari Rotfarm), so I still needed to play 17 lands and got subsequently flooded like crazy. I was also stuck on two colours splashing red for Wrecking Ball. It pretty much comes down on whether you're lucky enough to get karoos to play five colour removal + bombs. I'd rather trade a bomb for three karoos honestly. Hope I get better luck Saturday.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, sealed sucks. Got a pool with one karoo at a GP trial (Golgari Rotfarm), so I still needed to play 17 lands and got subsequently flooded like crazy. I was also stuck on two colours splashing red for Wrecking Ball. It pretty much comes down on whether you're lucky enough to get karoos to play five colour removal + bombs. I'd rather trade a bomb for three karoos honestly. Hope I get better luck Saturday.

I can fish a ton of bouncelands out of the trash.

:negative:

I read a bit about them, the number one the lower right the life of the creature and the abilities give or take life points.

Technically they're called Loyalty Counters not life points, but yeah, that's the basic gist. They can also be attacked by opposing creatures as if they are other players.

ironmang

It's my least favorite of the "real" formats because you can pay travel and entry for a GP and get an unplayable pile. A little too much variance.

inthrall

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165514235]dat feel when I built grixis twin and everybody told me UR was better[/QUOTE]

Hey cool, Infect in the top ten! Thats my decision made for the weekend. Been testing that, Twin, Bloom Titan and Twin of both kinds in my playgroup and really only concluded that Grixis Twin is better than U/R. Jeskai Twin was also an option to get a stronger sideboard vs aggro lists, but Grixis gives you terminate/kologarns in the main, so we ended up going with that

Angry Grimace

Hey cool, Infect in the top ten! Thats my decision made for the weekend. Been testing that, Twin, Bloom Titan and Twin of both kinds in my playgroup and really only concluded that Grixis Twin is better than U/R. Jeskai Twin was also an option to get a stronger sideboard vs aggro lists, but Grixis gives you terminate/kologarns in the main, so we ended up going with that

This is only true if you use Planeshift Terminates.

inthrall

This is only true if you use Planeshift Terminates.

Oh we do :D

On a related note, I realized I hadn't tried Temur Twin, and came up with the following monstrosity, Collected Twin:

Creature (22)
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Deceiver Exarch
4x Heliod's Pilgrim
4x Noble Hierarch
4x Pestermite
2x Spellskite

Instant (7)
4x Collected Company
3x Path to Exile

Land (23)
23x Relevant lands

Sorcery (4)
4x Commune with the Gods

Enchantment (4)
4x Splinter Twin​

Considering cutting the path to exile's for another dude that can come off collected, but couldn't think of anything past wall of roots/finks, neither of which advances the combo. Eternal Witness maybe?

kirblar

Probably should have a Kiki or two for consistency's sake, just because you need to always hard cast that half of the combo. Or at least in the board.
[GP Vegas] It's 3:05. The "12:00" on demand draft is still waiting for round 1 pairings.
From Reddit. This is exactly why I didn't even consider going.

inthrall

Probably should have a Kiki or two for consistency's sake, just because you need to always hard cast that half of the combo. Or at least in the board.

Yeah I considered it, but that much red in a 4 color deck really makes the mana harder, especially since Hierarch doesn't tap for red (and collected doesn't hit it). The idea was that the Heliod's Pilgrim was twin 5-8, and they get hit by collected in this list

kirblar

Yeah I considered it, but that much red in a 4 color deck really makes the mana harder, especially since Hierarch doesn't tap for red (and collected doesn't hit it). The idea was that the Heliod's Pilgrim was twin 5-8, and they get hit by collected in this list
You should add Dosan, The Falling Leaf in there as well. Congregation might not be the worst either as a 2x.

Angry Grimace

I'm also pretty sure Snow-Covered Mountain is superior to Mountain.

Really? I didn't consider going because Vegas in practically-June is 239850923850923590 degrees and because all I want to do in Vegas is gamble and drink heavily.

Matriox

Yup, same as the last GP Vegas!

Why do you think it's getting 7-8k+ people? :p
But.. Was mm15 even suppose to be meant even close for sealed? Outside of mtgo and sealed generators how do you prepare for such an event? LGS's would have to charge $60 for just the packs and no prize... Or is this something that was already talked about and I just completely missed it? I wasn't nearly as into magic events outside of fnm and the occasional Tcg tourney until last year so I had no idea about mm1 being sealed too..

bigkrev

I refuse to believe that it's taken them more than 3 hours to start round 1 of an 8 player draft, unless something like 80% of the staff had their flights delayed, or there is a fire or something

kirblar

But.. Was mm15 even suppose to be meant even close for sealed? Outside of mtgo and sealed generators how do you prepare for such an event? LGS's would have to charge $60 for just the packs and no prize... Or is this something that was already talked about and I just completely missed it? I wasn't nearly as into magic events outside of fnm and the occasional Tcg tourney until last year so I had no idea about mm1 being sealed too..
Did you just miss all of last weekend? :p

Matriox

Did you just miss all of last weekend? :p

I didn't think so :( oh last weekend was midnight draft... That's about all I remember Lmao.

This is about the only place I go for a magic conversation outside of my playgroup and reddit when spoilers are going on. Lol

Angry Grimace

Its insane how open RW Equipment is every time. I should just fucking force it. I had a pretty neat green thing going an a P1P1 Hierarch so I stuck with GW Convoke, but I think RW was the correct choice, I just didn't notice it until I started seeing Pick 7 Darksteel Axes.

red13th

Jim Davis's cube is kind of weird, not sure how good it is to go that heavy on lands. I cut a dual cycle form mine because I ended up getting packs with half the cards being lands.

Gemstone Mine, oh man I want a non-foil modern frame reprint so badly :(

Exokell

Banned
Tried mm2015 limited, I dont know if its just bec its my first time playing it. But this set seems so weak compared to the original. Rebel, faerie, giant, goblins, storm, artifact, etc were just more fun. This set seems to have more shitty cards.

Exokell

Banned
Technically. It wasn't doable unless you forced it (you had to be willing to P1P1 rituals and arcance spells to do it), and it was still unlikely to be the best deck at the table. But you could do it if you tried hard enough.
Storm deck won 1st with modern masters finals on mtgo.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Storm was super playable. Cheon forced the shit out of it in every draft and Kenji practically fell into it every other draft.

I would pull from my own draft experiences, but unlike GB, I am not awesome at everything and suck at drafting.

Gurrry

I read a bit about them, the number one the lower right the life of the creature and the abilities give or take life points.

Hey man if youre new we should play together! Im still learning and looking for new-ish people to play against. PM me if you wanna try and get a game going on DOTP, tabletop sim, or any other avenue we can play through!

Also - to the more advanced guys: Everyone I talk to says i can build a competitive mono red deck for about 20 dollars. Does anyone know which deck people are referring to? All of the ones I search for are different.

red13th

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

These types of cards have a greater purpose; these are cards that can sell a Modern Masters or two, along with a From the Vault or a Conspiracy. This is the reason I don't expect Ugin, the Spirit Dragon to be in next Winter's Duel Deck; it's an inefficient use of reprint equity. Why give it away to every Standard player now when you can use it to get players to buy $10 packs full of damaged cards three years down the road?

I've just become a fan of Saffron Olive. :lol
Nice article too, nothing actually new or groundbreaking but a fun read nonetheless.

So, I posted the set I've been working on for two years to Multiverse (along with the rules for the format it's designed for.) Feedback is more than welcome.

Just looking at the list of mechanics for now:
Two-brid makes perfect sense in a format where you can't be sure what colors of mana you have.

Morph is a good way to handle color fixing.

I feel like typefall pushes the luck part of a the draw a bit too much. Looking at Rubblerouser, you need at least two red mana sources to cast it, and even then, you need to get more Mountains to trigger its ability. It feels like in a given game, you'd only be able to trigger it once at most.

On the other hand, I really like typecraft for this format. It encourages you to keep drawing lands until you get three of the same type, and then you never have to worry about it again. I imagine that there's a real feeling of achievement to successfully doing that.

I'm not really feeling typecharged. First of all, aren't there other things to consider other than land types? And secondly, despite the name, this doesn't really care about land types, but rather mana color. That said, it still plays in a similar area as the above two mechanics, and doesn't feel as interesting.

I'm not feeling expose, even with expose triggers.

I suppose "no abilities matter" works well with morph.

I'm not feeling basiccast. Plus, two cards that counter in the same unusual way?

Fortify could work, though I don't think combining it with colored artifacts and two-brid is the right move.

With enrich, I'm really not sure a land you could both play and cast works, but whatever. This doesn't seem that interesting.

Cycling/landcycling is a good fit.

I think you should expand the use of devotion, taking up the space held by typecharged.

Overall, first of all, too many mechanics. I don't care if this is for "advanced players only" or something, you don't put in this many new mechanics. More over, many of the mechanics play in the same space, as in they encourage the same kind of play--drawing from the land pile until you get enough of a land type to do whatever. I'd cut the mechanics down to:
Two-brid
Morph
Typecraft
No abilities matter
Fortify
Cycling
Devotion

Still a large number of mechanics, but more manageable, I think.

So, I posted the set I've been working on for two years to Multiverse (along with the rules for the format it's designed for.) Feedback is more than welcome.

I think spells that put your opponent's cards in your hand are a big no-no. Even if the card is only for your funsies set, you shouldn't design cards that aren't something you could play with outside of it. The fun of Magic is in the fact that it's a modular game, so designing a card that's confusing and can lead to accidentally stolen cards outside of your format probably isn't great.

Just looking at the list of mechanics for now...

Thanks for the feedback.

Basiccast was in the file really early, though I find it struggling for space. I've seen other people make the same mechanic, and I'm of the mind that, if it's not going to work in this format, it's not going to work anywhere. I like what happens when you put it on something expensive, because it gets progressively harder to achieve, so the rewards can get huge and splashy. Of course, if Basiccast goes, it would take Enrich with it, as that exists solely to 'juice up' basic lands.

Typecharged was a relatively late add to the file. I might like the idea better than the execution. I worry that the creatures are really weak, despite being good targets for +1/+1 counters. I'm not a fan of how the clear M15 card frame in MSE is ever so slightly misaligned, anyway.

Expose is just a thing you have to play with, I guess. It creates neat moments as people run away/towards a card after it's exposed, and I've been amused to see cards wheel around a 6-player game without being drawn. Goblin Spy was always the most amusing creature you could play in Pile, but it's persistence got annoying after a while. Expose fixes that.

As far as typefall is concerned, Rubblerouser is really good, but not too good. It's not unusual to have players get to RR by the mid/late game with topdecks to spare. The first time that card got played , it became the highlight of the game. I've seen it drop several times, and it rarely makes fewer than 2 dragons.

I worry that devotion is too 'on the nose' in this set, which is why it's at such low numbers. It seems like it's usually useless, but sometimes amazing. I've been considering cutting it, actually - that cycle was a really late add as the set grew from 269 cards to 295 (almost all land for the sake of play variance.)

I worry the fortifications are too OP. Needs more playtesting - especially the uncommons. I worry the cycle of common twobrid equipment should probably be uncommon.

As for mechanical complexity, yeah, it's pretty high, but many of the mechanics play in a lot of the same space, so they're not super disparate in your mind. I've been progressively dialing back as development rolls along. When I first 'handed the set in from design' it was about 1/3 gold, and had over 40 repeated keyword mechanics, Future Sight-style. It's come a long way.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165648530]I think spells that put your opponent's cards in your hand are a big no-no. Even if the card is only for your funsies set, you shouldn't design cards that aren't something you could play with outside of it. The fun of Magic is in the fact that it's a modular game, so designing a card that's confusing and can lead to accidentally stolen cards outside of your format probably isn't great.[/QUOTE]

It's the only thing that makes me wonder if it's secretly a silver-bordered set in disguise.

After thinking a bit more, I wonder if it might be better to replace devotion and typecharged with sunburst and domain. There are so many mechanics that care about getting all basic lands of one kind, so it might be interesting to have a mechanic pull the opposite direction and encourage getting all kinds of basic lands. Plus, sunburst has not been used on non-artifacts, so there's open design space right there.

After thinking a bit more, I wonder if it might be better to replace devotion and typecharged with sunburst and domain. There are so many mechanics that care about getting all basic lands of one kind, so it might be interesting to have a mechanic pull the opposite direction and encourage getting all kinds of basic lands. Plus, sunburst has not been used on non-artifacts, so there's open design space right there.

You're getting ahead of me, Sunburst is already in the 2nd set, which is 5C set like Conflux and Fifth Dawn. Domain might find a way in somewhere there too. And there's also one card already in the set from 'the future'.

Utopia%20Agent_zpsdad1fxc1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom