• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165663227]That flavor text is blowing my mind right now.[/QUOTE]

It's also literally true.

Map%20to%20Utopia_zpsetazinqc.jpg

I don't care about lore, but it helps it feel authentic

Technically, there are two Grand Prixs happening in Vegas this weekend, each with approximately 4000 attendees. I believe each one is being streamed separately; one by WotC and one by CFB.

Matriox

Alright, well I've got 2 packs (or 100 sleeves) of Premium KMC Hyper Mat sleeves I will be shipping to a GAF member because I like you guys. Not sure about the best way to go about doing this, so lets go with as basic as possible. Just reply to this with your favorite EDH commander (if you don't like edh but want to play anyways, just pick a fucking legendary creature) and I'll throw names in a hat and pick one randomly. This is not just for the US so anyone can participate. I will pay shipping and what not, all you have to do is reply to this and I'll try to get a name picked randomly on Monday since I don't have anything better to do at work.

PremiumHyperBlack.JPG

EDIT: Link to my post last week about said sleeves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The guy who owns our LGS said he expects MM2015 box prices to dip below $170.

I should probably dump those Mox Opals and Hierarchs now
KuGsj.gif

kirblar

The guy who owns our LGS said he expects MM2015 box prices to dip below $170.

I should probably dump those Mox Opals and Hierarchs now
KuGsj.gif
Wouldn't be surprised if the supply keeps flowing.

Definitely looks like the "MM2 boxes behaving like regular boxes" thing w/ price was intentional.

Tarmogoyf appears to be bouncing back up, though.

ironmang

Wouldn't be surprised if the supply keeps flowing.

Definitely looks like the "MM2 boxes behaving like regular boxes" thing w/ price was intentional.

Tarmogoyf appears to be bouncing back up, though.

Was a little surprised to see it happening already with the goyf prices. I guess a lot of people are trying to quickly finish their playsets.

kirblar

Crocodile

Drafted MM2 four times last weekend. RUG Good Stuff, UW Affinity, Grixis Elementals, RUG Good Stuff. Won two of those drafts but across the four of them I opened next to no money. I can't tell you how tilting it is when you open like Midnight Banshee and the person across from you opens foil Goyf (since it was keep what you open instead of the normal rare redraft). With the "winning the lottery" aspect I can't say the set is 3x more fun than a normal set to be worth the 3x+ cost :/

Alright, well I've got 2 packs (or 100 sleeves) of Premium KMC Hyper Mat sleeves I will be shipping to a GAF member because I like you guys. Not sure about the best way to go about doing this, so lets go with as basic as possible. Just reply to this with your favorite EDH commander (if you don't like edh but want to play anyways, just pick a fucking legendary creature) and I'll throw names in a hat and pick one randomly. This is not just for the US so anyone can participate. I will pay shipping and what not, all you have to do is reply to this and I'll try to get a name picked randomly on Monday since I don't have anything better to do at work.

PremiumHyperBlack.JPG

I like Mayeal because it lets me build an EDH deck that is powerful and filled with fatties I'd never cast in any other format but still "fair" so people can't whine and bitch about infinite combos or whatever other nonsense.

This is exactly what happened the first time. I bought in at $90 each when I saw the bounce-up happening about 5 days after release.

edit: The "evergreen" mechanics change article is coming up Monday: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/120203467573/fear-intimidate-and-land-walk-all-seem-to-be-out

GVFbI3L.gif

About time. They've been teasing this long enough.

With them having this conversation so close to Origins, does that mean we should be seeing the changes in Origins or bfz first? It felt like the conversation might have happened too late for the changes to happen for Origins.

A coreset is the perfect time to do something like this (and they work on different, quicker schedules than normal blocks). If it wasn't happening till Battle for Zendikar they wouldn't say anything about it till August or so.

Matriox

This is exactly what happened the first time. I bought in at $90 each when I saw the bounce-up happening about 5 days after release.

edit: The "evergreen" mechanics change article is coming up Monday: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/120203467573/fear-intimidate-and-land-walk-all-seem-to-be-out

With them having this conversation so close to Origins, does that mean we should be seeing the changes in Origins or bfz first? It felt like the conversation might have happened too late for the changes to happen for Origins.

kirblar

Origins, though it's sounded like some of the changes are also coming further down the pike.

y2dvd

Sweet, wrote on my lgs's Facebook page that we should be playing for MM packs and not standards when drafting MM2 because there's too many bulk rares and it's not worth $30 otherwise. He deleted my post lol, but now he's giving MM packs for top two in drafts night. Success!

Seriously, even getting a box at $200 wasn't even close to worth it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Origins, though it's sounded like some of the changes are also coming further down the pike.

The real question is how soon they're rolling out Prowess as the new blue mechanic. Some questions he answered about a year and a half ago indicate they knew it was a strong candidate for Blue's new mechanic, but I don't know if they were waiting for Tarkir reception or if they knew it was strong enough they're integrating it right away

Firemind

Technically, there are two Grand Prixs happening in Vegas this weekend, each with approximately 4000 attendees. I believe each one is being streamed separately; one by WotC and one by CFB.
Well, that's a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

Speaking of clusterfucks, the organizers of GP Utrecht pulled the Pre-Registration Rewards from their homepage. Great. Now I'll never know if I won a mox.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Me: "I should just keep forcing RW Equipment"

*drafts Convoke, last pack has Boros Swiftblades as available on pick 13 AND 14*

I did force it yesterday. And then I got a Mirror Entity passed to me by an obviously insane person.

Jhriad

Just reply to this with your favorite EDH commander (if you don't like edh but want to play anyways, just pick a fucking legendary creature) and I'll throw names in a hat and pick one randomly.

GrimGrin, Corpse-Born would probably be my favorite with Thraximundar coming in a close second. Of course I've only got my zombie EDH decks atm so I don't have a lot of experience with other commanders.

Angry Grimace

Tokens/Convoke is such a garbage archetype in MM2015. I have yet to have any real success with it nor have any trouble playing anyone who picked it.

Matriox

Tokens/Convoke is such a garbage archetype in MM2015. I have yet to have any real success with it nor have any trouble playing anyone who picked it.

I got a pretty nutty GB tokens deck at my midnight draft, but I had zero competition in my colors or archetype which helped.

Angry Grimace

I got a pretty nutty GB tokens deck at my midnight draft, but I had zero competition in my colors or archetype which helped.

GB is okay if you have the sac outlets to make it worth anything. But the GW version is just balls.

Is there any possibility that the evergreen update will come with new keywords?

Pretty likely. I doubt it will be new abilities, though, but rather giving a name to something like "can't be blocked except by two or more creatures" or breaking up protection into separate pieces.

GB is okay if you have the sac outlets to make it worth anything. But the GW version is just balls.

Yeah, I did 6-0 in games with my GB deck on modo last night, but I had the shroud and flying uncommons that grow into Eldrazi. I was surprised how little sac outlets I actually needed. I only had one bloodthrone but I had double nest invader and the black spawn token guy. It was pretty much just play a normal draft deck except I had these two unbeatable creatures winning every game for me. More often the shroud guy. I actually thought my deck was awkward when I built it because I only had two removal spells but it worked out.

Just got into MTG last night. One of my GF's friend's husband has been pushing me to try, so I purchased a deck builders kit + 4 booster packs, so $45 in total or so. Only played one game last night (spent the most time looking through cards, etc), but I like it. I can definitely see where the buying/opening addiction can kick in, especially since I had 1 mythic in a booster, haha (Chromanticore).

I've played a lot of deck-builder games, but of a different sort. Things like Dominion (a lot of this), DC Deck Building Game, Race to the Galaxy, Ascension, etc. Different rules and play styles, but I'm familiar enough with the concept that I don't think I'll have too much trouble catching on.

But I don't think I'll be posting in or reading this thread too much for now until I actually get more experience as everything here is a bit intimidating.

:)

red13th

PremiumHyperBlack.JPG

Oooh nice. I have no idea about an EDH commander though, if I build a deck it would probably be Kruphix.

I have plenty of sleeves and don't need more, but my favorite Commander is Prime Speaker Zegana (but I did just put together a Grenzo, Dungeon Warden deck that I'm going to be trying out for the first time this weekend, and I'm stoked to see it play).

Also this weekend I'll finally get to draft MM15! Can't wait.

kirblar

My favorite Commander is Child of Alara.

Because some men want to see the world burn, and also don't want to have to deal with stupid mana-cost bullshit.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165718628]Tumble Magnet is a good card[/QUOTE]
Used to play it in constructed w/ Venser in pre-SoF/F Caw-Go.

The fact that Vegas is at a standstill because they're out of paper because they printed deck registration sheets for THE WRONG MODERN MASTERS is hilarious.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Should've known to stop opening packs when I got a Comet Storm. 3 packs later and the best thing was a foil Vines of Vastwood.

ultron87

Had a fun afternoon side eventing at Vegas. From talking to people they seem to have their shit significantly more together than yesterday. Things went fairly smoothly, at least in the events I played. Excited for the main event tomorrow.

An-Det

My favorite Commander is Child of Alara.

Because some men want to see the world burn, and also don't want to have to deal with stupid mana-cost bullshit.

The first time I made an EDH deck I used my old foil Cromat for the same reason, since I'd never use it anywhere else.

Just got into MTG last night. One of my GF's friend's husband has been pushing me to try, so I purchased a deck builders kit + 4 booster packs, so $45 in total or so. Only played one game last night (spent the most time looking through cards, etc), but I like it. I can definitely see where the buying/opening addiction can kick in, especially since I had 1 mythic in a booster, haha (Chromanticore).

I've played a lot of deck-builder games, but of a different sort. Things like Dominion (a lot of this), DC Deck Building Game, Race to the Galaxy, Ascension, etc. Different rules and play styles, but I'm familiar enough with the concept that I don't think I'll have too much trouble catching on.

But I don't think I'll be posting in or reading this thread too much for now until I actually get more experience as everything here is a bit intimidating.

:)

I recommend playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014, which has a free demo. This will let you better understand the rules by playing prebuilt decks against AIs. 2015 removed the prebuilt decks in favor of a pool of cards you build your own deck out of, and generally isn't as well done, so 2014 is more strongly recommended.

This gp in Japan is great one dude is playing without sleeves and one dude is playing lands up front. Do they require feature matches to use certain lands because the only thing that would make me happier is to have one of them use white boarder lands.

Seven packs of MM15 opened so far. Value contents: Kozilek, Remand, Hierarch, Foil Repeal, Mox Opal, Bitterblossom, Clique. Is this real? WAT.

I have never ever had this much luck in packs before. I took 2 packs of MM15 in place of my prize packs at FNM tonight and they were BB and Clique. Both out of the same box.

kirblar

Seven packs of MM15 opened so far. Value contents: Kozilek, Remand, Hierarch, Foil Repeal, Mox Opal, Bitterblossom, Clique. Is this real? WAT.

I have never ever had this much luck in packs before. I took 2 packs of MM15 in place of my prize packs at FNM tonight and they were BB and Clique. Both out of the same box.
Anecdotally boxes are super super feast/famine. The "all mythic" box existing would seem to point to something weird with the print sheets this time around.

Speaking of Bitterblossom, looks like the price is stabilizing :-(

Maybe it'll dip again next week with 5-6 thousand boxes being opened over the weekend.

PremiumHyperBlack.JPG

I like Prossh, because... Jund. :)

hqdefault.jpg

The real question is how soon they're rolling out Prowess as the new blue mechanic.

Rosewater was hinting about it pretty heavily not too long after KTK came out so I doubt they were waiting on the reception. (Plus I'd be surprised to see them make evergreen changes in two consecutive sets.)

Pretty likely. I doubt it will be new abilities, though, but rather giving a name to something like "can't be blocked except by two or more creatures" or breaking up protection into separate pieces.

Depends on how they decide to fix protection and/or regeneration, I guess. The latter especially I could see getting replaced with something we haven't seen precisely before.

Just reply to this with your favorite EDH commander

I run Kaalia as my main. Some of my college buds bought the C11 decks to play on the extended-weekend trip we took to another friend's wedding; we all took one back with us to tweak and upgrade, and we all play 'em whenever we get back together.

Yeef

GW anything is awful.

Apparently, U/R Bloodthirst is a thing. Better than U/R Elementals I imagine.
U/R Elementals is actually a lot better than I expected it to be when I saw the spoilers.

Incandescent Soulstoke is pretty nuts in that deck. Smokebraiders almost always table and allow you to do things like play Mulldrifter for full retail on turn 3 consistently. I think, moreso than a lot of the other decks, it's dependent on the uncommons.

Just reply to this with your favorite EDH commander

I have yet to put together my own "personal" EDH deck, but I have a friend who has around 25 or 30 of them built. I've tried more than five of them so far and my favorite has been one I've been told is just broken-ass-broken.

Grenzo-Dungeon-Warden-Conspiracy-Visual-Spoiler.jpg

Angry Grimace

Silly Grixis player thought he'd drop a Blood Moon on me playing Jund. Then I played Olivia Voldaren and he was sad. It was glorious.

I don't know about Dark Confidant in this deck. It seems like it just makes you die a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom