• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Just lost to Mirran Crusader and Mirror Entity while I was holding all my black removal and durdle green fatties. This is all your fault, GB. :(

You mean people are switching from Abzan to Jund?

#2 deck in Modern according to Seth Manfield.

Jund is another archetype that is well positioned, and is actually favored by many over Abzan Midrange. It is surprising, considering how heavily played Abzan was at Pro Tour Fate Reforged, that it is being pushed out a little bit right now. Lightning Bolt has once again retaken its place on top of Modern it seems, but this is another deck that is happy to maindeck Kolaghan's Command, as Jund loves getting whatever two-for-ones it can. Jund is similar to Abzan but it is more difficult to beat after sideboarding. Previously against Abzan the Twin decks had access to a big sideboard plan complete with Sower of Temptations, which was very hard to deal with.

The one-ofs in this list are what stand out the most. Both Tasigur, the Golden Fang and Olivia Voldaren are extremely powerful, and while both are legendary it could be argued that you might want more than one of either given their power level. Olivia Voldaren is great against the Abzan Collected Company decks, or just decks that can't kill her in general. As mentioned before Tasigur, the Golden Fang is super powerful, and it is generally correct to put at least a couple delve cards in your deck if possible. The other singleton that stands out quite a bit is the Outpost Siege. Previously there were some versions of Jund that did play Chandra, Pyromaster, but it seems that Outpost Siege is the designated upgrade. The Outpost Siege is how to Break Open a mirror match filled with one-for-one removal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm assuming this Sushi Draft is what Japanese TV is like all the time.

#2 deck in Modern according to Seth Manfield.

Its just such a good stuff deck. Abzan is the same thing, but Dark Confidant is just kind of good.

ironmang

Its just such a good stuff deck. Abzan is the same thing, but Dark Confidant is just kind of good.

It just flows so much better as well. Blackcleave to bolt or discard into T2 Goyf/Bob just feels like the best start in modern across all decks.

edit: speaking of Jund, I'm currently putting it together and trying to have it all matching with modern borders (alara terminate, 10th treetop, etc) but the basics are presenting a problem. Does anybody have any suggestions for modern bordered swamps and forests? Normally I'd go with unhinged but I figure I'll give meeting my OCD goals a shot.

This aaron dude is a man after my own heart. He's drafting mono-X spells ramp so far lol

edit: oh my god I would cry if I was drafting this pod for top 8, this deck is beautiful.

banefire
savage twister
primeval titan
all is dust
apocalypse hydra
pelakka wurm
at least three nest invaders plus an everflowing chalice

Firemind

Here's the pool as promised (excuse the bad lighting):
http://i.imgur.com/cHhE8il.jpg
(The three mystery red cards are Burst Lighting, Dragonsoul Knight and Fiery Fall.)

This is what I built:
http://i.imgur.com/nkZskPT.jpg
(Spot the rookie mistakes.)
I had to cut like eight cards and I was going back and forth between them and when the clock ended, in my hurry, I had Bonesplinters main without checking my creature base. Cathodian is also pretty bad in sealed. It only profitably blocks bears and is otherwise a dead card. I sided the Helium Squirter in after every game and I probably should have played the Apostle's Blessing.

My first draft deck of day two:
http://i.imgur.com/WhoPq4a.jpg
(Basically, I had to waste turns setting up my mana while I got pummeled to death by Kozilek's Predators and Glint Hawk Idols. Also, Mirran Crusader.)

My second draft deck of day two:
http://i.imgur.com/VW9wLEr.jpg
BISONYESORGASM (Mental note: never listen to GB again.)

Cathodian plus Bone Splinters is the wombo combo, man!

(Mental note: never listen to GB again.)

Grixis deck is sweet, but the ramp deck is super awkward. I would have cut all the blue cards. You should have listened to me and not relied on basic lands for splashes, ruins your mana base and you have landcyclers in two different colors which is rough. Your top end and removal are insane, but I don't know that you were able to find the base for a solid domain deck. Why don't you have the Kozilek's Predator's from your opponent's decks???? Looks like you missed out on picking up colorless mana fixing and ramp.

I dunno what your packs look like, but Matca Rioters isn't really a payoff for going Domain. Also, you're playing 17 lands which is against my advice >:|
Cut the island and plains for a mountain and cut the narcolepsy for two more spells immediately son.

I see where you were going, but man your deck has a ton of fixing but barely any actual ramp which is pretty depressing. I did recommend a third ramp and you've got three spells.

Algae Gharial with only two token makers :-(

I can tell you took my advice to heart, though man. Tough seat, huh? Better luck next time.

That's hilarious. I want to do this now.

I'm totally going to convince my buddies to do this.

Also - you're, like, semi-internet famous right now for being banned. I saw it on Reddit and Twitter and I was like - whoa, I know that guy! This is why you stay here in this happy place thread and never venture out into the wild - hehe.

Firemind

I didn't see any Kozilek's Predators because everyone wants this card! G/W tokens, domain, whatever. And I had to play 17 lands because my ramp was sorely lacking.

Seriously though, the G/W tokens deck I faced was nutsy. When I finally stablized, he had Banefire to finish me off. And this deck basically does nothing against infinite fliers (Glint Hawk Idols and Faerie Mechanists engine). At least I won the mirror. Well, actually, not really, because he got a foil goyf.

I didn't see any Kozilek's Predators because everyone wants this card! G/W tokens, domain, whatever. And I had to play 17 lands because my ramp was sorely lacking.
16 lands.

Seriously though, the G/W tokens deck I faced was nutsy. When I finally stablized, he had Banefire to finish me off. And this deck basically does nothing against infinite fliers (Glint Hawk Idols and Faerie Mechanists engine). At least I won the mirror. Well, actually, not really, because he got a foil goyf.

GW tokens is Ben Stark's preferred strategy for the format apparently.

And yeah, your answer to Glint Hawk Idols is basically gain life with Pelakka Wurm in these decks lol

Fliers that dodge Savage Twister make me wanna die.

edit: AAAAND Aaron's sweet domain deck loses to glint hawk idols lol. Ramp just can't beat Metalcraft.

I've done exactly one MM15 draft so far. I ended up UG and hated every minute of it. My deck was terrible and I felt terrible. Never again.

From what I can tell, ramp, spirits, tokens, and artifacts seem to be the best decks.

blogatog said:
actual-corporal-ravioli asked: Are there any mechanics you regret being implemented? Conversely, are there any you'd wish had stuck around longer?

I wish we had chopped up kicker into smaller chunks.

As for your second question, check my column a week from Monday. : )

Unless this is some crazy curveball and we're getting shroud back, this is a pretty strong hint that we're getting evergreen Prowess in Origins.

I've done exactly one MM15 draft so far. I ended up UG and hated every minute of it. My deck was terrible and I felt terrible. Never again.

From what I can tell, ramp, spirits, tokens, and artifacts seem to be the best decks.

Ben Stark made a great point about ramp though; ramp relies a little too heavily on uncommons versus the other archetypes. You can pick up all the support, but if you never get a Savage Twister or Pelakka Wurm you have a huge risk of not doing anything.

That's probably why I wind up sliding into BG sacrifice about half the time. Algae Gharial is insane. Top 5 uncommon for sure.

Metalcraft is insane, I'm always worried it'll get fought over though.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165941543]Ben Stark made a great point about ramp though; ramp relies a little too heavily on uncommons versus the other archetypes. You can pick up all the support, but if you never get a Savage Twister or Pelakka Wurm you have a huge risk of not doing anything.

That's probably why I wind up sliding into BG sacrifice about half the time. Algae Gharial is insane. Top 5 uncommon for sure.

Metalcraft is insane, I'm always worried it'll get fought over though.[/QUOTE]

Am I wrong for thinking that Kitesail is very good in this format? Given all the random Eldrazi Spawn gunking up the ground?

Matriox

Alright. I don't have time to do anything tonight,and I don't know anything about it, but I have an mtgo account now. I fell in love with drafting mm15 and figured I should try to get better at drafting in general to appreciate it for later sets.

bigkrev

Looks like we have another case of a future card found in boosters this weekend

CGX70VVUgAAb9JT.jpg

Not the most telling card!

It's even a reprint, so yeah, we know absolutely nothing except that flying reminder text is sticking around.

EDIT: And that we're still getting bonus cards in Standard for beginner decks.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165953561]lol 13-2 gets 17th place

I'd call the Origins logo a dead giveaway.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's what that toupee is?

And the ORI in the bottom left

ultron87

3-3 day two. Finished ~30 spots below the money. Bummer, but still had a really great weekend playing and was super happy with how I played.

Got passed a Foil Bitterblossom which is gorgeous. I asked the guy later why he passed it, because you can almost always splash that, and he said he took a Goyf instead. That's quite the pack. It is cool to have a real nice stamped foil like that.

3-3 day two. Finished ~30 spots below the money. Bummer, but still had a really great weekend playing and was super happy with how I played.

Got passed a Foil Bitterblossom which is gorgeous. I asked the guy later why he passed it, because you can almost always splash that, and he said he took a Goyf instead. That's quite the pack. It is cool to have a real nice stamped foil like that.

That was one helluva pack.

Jhriad

I really hope MM15 prices fall some more. They've held relatively stable over the weekend and I would like to attempt to get a few cheaper things to start building toward having some Modern playable cards.

On a different note, since I haven't actually had the experience of a set rotation yet could some of you fill me in on when the best time to buy cards that will be rotating out will be? Do I want to wait until just after rotation for the best prices? Obviously eternal staples like Thoughtseize won't drop but I'm more interested in picking up some EDH stuff and maybe a few things like Anger of the Gods and Master of Waves that see occasional play in certain decks/sideboards in other formats.

Is there anything else I should be aware of about rotation?

Got passed a Foil Bitterblossom which is gorgeous. I asked the guy later why he passed it, because you can almost always splash that, and he said he took a Goyf instead.

These kinds of packs are the ones I was thinking about when I said it made sense to take your pool and drop earlier. :p

On a different note, since I haven't actually had the experience of a set rotation yet could some of you fill me in on when the best time to buy cards that will be rotating out will be?

From what I can tell, for anything that was good in Standard but irrelevant in Modern/Legacy/Commander, it'll generally hit a local minimum a month or two after it rotates out.

Honestly, that's a really good record - well done.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If I ever opened a foil Goyf in the top 8, I'd slowly rip it into tiny pieces while making eye contact. Make 'em think I'm capable of anything. Like starting a fight with the biggest guy in your block on your first day of jail.

I think it was a completely defensible pick. It's a stamped foil Tarmogoyf. It's going to end up being a collector's item; he's putting it on Ebay, and I guarantee it's going to go for a lot of money.

Anyone genuinely giving him shit for making that pick needs to pull the stick out of their ass. :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(I figured the prize pool was better than it actually is)

Exokell

Banned
Hes dumb if he passed the foil goyf, he did the smart move. Anyway domain/sunburst is my fave theme in this set and I dont even need savage twister to make the deck powerful, second would be elementals. Turn 3 mulldrifter is just so awesome.

Angry Grimace

I suspect both of those guys are not serious since all of them are on the CFB payroll and probably know each other at least a little (and both of their reactions are like way too harsh).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Even if you already have a playset of foil Goyfs, even if you will never play them, who the hell passes up 400 free dollars? LSV said he's not happy with the pick either.

"Pros" are sort of losing themselves up their own anuses, if the tweets are to be taken seriously.

Angry Grimace

Meh, fuck LSV then. Pascal Maynard doesn't owe it to anyone to not rare-draft. Like you can argue whether it was a smart move or not, but actually being pissed off about it or thinking you've got the right to give him shit for doing whatever the fuck legal thing he wants to do is batshit insane.

He's making his deck worse by not taking Burst Lightning, so he's losing X percentage points. If you're worried about EV, then you have to ask if those X percentage points result in more dollars lost than the value of the Goyf makes up for.

It's actually quite likely that the Goyf is worth more than the lost equity.

Firemind

Blast. I thought only the top 64 finishes got money prizes. Turns out for such a big event it's top 150 and I could have finished top 100 if a friend didn't nag me about dropping and joining a two-headed event!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It totally was worth it. That thing is going to go for a lot of Money. Funny that he got killed by the burst lightning he could've had, but he made it out of that round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom