• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Green and White have always been my favorite colors since back in revised i love the green weenie, green/white weenie, the heal decks and even control decks but i am no stranger for goblin and burn decks or Black/Blue control.

I like to play anything that isn't overly convoluted cause i like to just have some fun. I am not looking to try and be some pro player i just wanna play at local shops and have some fun.
Serious answer: G/W Collected Company seems to be right up your alley. It's a Standard deck and your strategy is to vomit creatures into play and overwhelm your opponent. Here's an article about the deck.

Crocodile

Double sleeving cards is not necessary at all. I mean, go ahead and do it if you do not intend on taking the cards out of the sleeves, but not many people will actually care.

Double Sleeving is 100% worth it if your cards are especially valuable (i.e. most Cubes). It's already paid off for me given some, what could have been tragic but weren't, spills.

Jhriad

Is it cheaper to get into Modern or Standard? to keep it short i quit constructed play like 12 years ago but have been playing limited play off and on for the last 10ish years on MTGO but MTGO is fine for that because i can draft and do sealed in the comfort of my own home and it's cheap and fine but we got a nice new store here thats big and full of enthusiastic players and it's making me want to get back to the physical game to kind of force me to go out and be social with the game.

My problem comes down to i have no idea what to play. I know Legacy/Vintage is out of the question because i don't want to set fire to my savings and i know Standard is constantly changing so much you are constantly putting money into the decks so i kind of gravitate towards modern since the card pool is so large and i can play at a competitive level (competitive as in against other players here and weekly play) without breaking the bank. A buddy of mine mentioned a "soul sister" deck since i tend to lean towards W or W/G. I'm sure you people get annoying dumb questions like this all the time.

The answer to the bolded question is, it depends. Do you want to play decks that are competitive with the best in the format or are you just looking to play some games? If we're talking about competitive decks then Standard decks are likely to be noticeably cheaper but you'll have to add cards or change to an entirely new deck as blocks rotate or the meta shifts. A Modern deck on the other hand might cost double (or even more) that of a Standard deck but the deck will probably be playable for a considerably longer time barring any card in the deck being banned. So over the long haul Modern is probably cheaper if you're okay playing just one deck or slight variations on that deck. This assumes that you would want to play very competitively in Standard and you would be changing your deck frequently. Like Modern, you don't have to change your Standard deck if you don't want to it just means that you aren't going to be as competitive as you could be as the meta shifts.Now, Modern doesn't have to be expensive it kind of depends on what deck you run. I'll give you some examples.

Here's an example list of Abzan/The Rock. The TCGPlayer price on the blue button is the average price of the paper version of the deck. As I linked that it was sitting at just under $1500. That price is slightly high because it's using the average price of each card rather than the lowest price but it should give you a pretty good idea of the price range of that deck.

On the other hand the deck you mentioned, Soul Sisters, can be assembled for considerably less ($180-300 depending on deck composition). That basically puts it in the price range of a Standard deck. My advice would be to see if you can play with some of your friends decks, get a feel for each format, and then decide which you would like to go with. Hell, build some cheap, budget decks for $25-50 and play with that for a while.

Edit- Also, double bagging cards?? Buddy told me if i do get back into physical i should double board my cards and that confuses me since when i used to play it was you just bought sleeves and that was it. Is there a kit? preferred brand? Is there a site where i can just order it ?

Double sleeved cards provide the maximum amount of protection and when you're spending several hundred dollars you want to make sure that no matter what happens your cards will be safe. Remember you might treat your cards well but that won't protect them from someone else spilling a drink at the table. Here's an old video Tolarian Community College did about double sleeving. That video is a little dated as he's using KMC Supers instead of the newer, and more recommended (including by him) KMC Hyper Mat sleeves. His channel is a pretty good resource for answering some common questions from new players.

I like to play anything that isn't overly convoluted cause i like to just have some fun. I am not looking to try and be some pro player i just wanna play at local shops and have some fun.

Depending on how competitive you want your deck to be you could play Standard (or Modern) with some pretty budget decks and be pretty happy just getting to play some games. You might even do well if your deck happens to exploit the meta in your store.

Also, worth it to buy any boxes? fat packs?

I like Fat Packs but as far as "value" goes you'd probably be better off going with a Booster Box. If you split the cost you could even use the boosters for limited with some friends. You get a ton of fun from opening the packs and at the end of the day you still have a box worth of cards that are potentially playable in decks. That said, unless you really like opening packs or you plan on using the packs for limited purposes you'd get much better value from buying singles.

buy bulk common/uncommon/rare standard lots from like ebay to kind of start off the collection? i see huge common/uncommon lots for like $20-30 that come with like 800-1000 cards from all the standard sets.

Nooooope. The vast majority of the time those lots are some mixture of; too many of each card, picked through for any potentially valuable/playable cards, or in less than NM condition. They're something I would consider getting a little kid just getting into the game but not something I would ever consider buying for myself. Even if there were a few of the playable Standard commons in those lots you'd be much better off buying those in singles and saving the money on the junk.

Xis

Random lots are no good, but when a new set comes out you often see 4x common / uncommon sets for sale, and those can be a good deal, and a good base for building casual decks.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166069726]Whoo, Japanese Kolaghan's Command just arrived ^_^

Can't decide if I wanna get the foreign Stoneforges and Cliques on TCGplayer yet...

If I was in charge of these things, I'd load all the packs. I don't give a fuck. Not to give advantages, but stick some sort of troll in the packs to make the puzzle harder.

Like putting in preview cards for the next set as a mindfuck.[/QUOTE]

What deck are you building?

Random lots are no good, but when a new set comes out you often see 4x common / uncommon sets for sale, and those can be a good deal, and a good base for building casual decks.

I have a buddy that can't really afford to buy into a lot of expensive cards, but he always manages to buy the 4x common and uncommon set for each release and just loves it.

It's frankly embarrassing that people are so mad about this.

Somebody help me, I'm thinking about buying a Duel Deck Anthology Ancestral Vision because it has the colour identity symbol instead of "Ancestral Vision is blue" text (I hate this), I need someone to remind me the new frame is horrible.

The new frame is great tho.

This is the worst "pro controversy" since people got actual-mad at Ari Lax for being happy while winning a fucking Pro Tour.

Oh man I forgot about that, that was hella dumb.

Maybe they should be criticizing the shitty payout.

I keep waiting for people to notice that Magic is 30 times as successful as it was seven years ago but the prize payouts for every event are just as stingy.

Just sent out some trade offers for a Noble Hierarch, Dark Confidant and Sensei's Divining Top and a bunch of filler stuff. Phew. It's a lot of math sending out a bunch of trades that don't conflict with each other without getting rid of my best eternal staples.

What deck are you building?

Bunch of Modern and Legacy brews, mostly. I need the Stoneforge Mystic for my EDH deck though, lol

Jhriad

Still waiting for this supposed post-GP decline in prices to materialize as more cards enter the market. Stupid MTG finance podcasts, I could have gotten Karn Liberated for $25 if I hadn't been told to wait.

ElyrionX

Not to mention some of the guys whining about the integrity of the game are sponsored by CFB and TCGplayer.

Yeah, I'm sure being paid to play Magic while being given every card you need and an infinite playtest group consisting of other pros is perfectly aligned with the "integrity" of your magic fairy spell casting game.

Dipshits.

Actually I do think that having the possibility of excessively expensive cards like goyf floating around in draft does indeed ruin the integrity of the game. But that's exactly what makes draft stupid in the first place. I'd also argue that WoTC letting goyf retain its ridiculous $200 price tag ruins the integrity of not just draft but Modern constructed as well. You will always have a meta that is budget-constrained to various extents.

red13th

First time I forced a fun Grixis deck. Grixis is the only three colour combination in my Cube that doesn't seem to build itself particularly well (maybe because it's my least favourite 3 colour combo) but this one looks fun to play. P1P1 Sword of Light and Shadow.

mfaH22g.jpg

Jhriad

Actually I do think that having the possibility of excessively expensive cards like goyf floating around in draft does indeed ruin the integrity of the game. But that's exactly what makes draft stupid in the first place. I'd also argue that WoTC letting goyf retain its ridiculous $200 price tag ruins the integrity of not just draft but Modern constructed as well. You will always have a meta that is budget-constrained to various extents.

You can blame part of that on vendors apparently. At GP Vegas they were artificially keeping Goyf inflated by buying them at $160.

What's everyone's Vegas haul?

I managed to trade for 3 snapcasters
Opened 2 cliques
1 foil remand
1 Noble heirarch
4 coronets
3 hurklys recalls
Foil spectral

Some other stuff not worth really mentioning.

kirblar

Still waiting for this supposed post-GP decline in prices to materialize as more cards enter the market. Stupid MTG finance podcasts, I could have gotten Karn Liberated for $25 if I hadn't been told to wait.
Yeah, they were wrong, you need to pick up MMX cards the workday week after release weekend before prices stabilize.

ElyrionX

You can blame part of that on vendors apparently. At GP Vegas they were artificially keeping Goyf inflated by buying them at $160.

If the MSRP for MM15 was lower (with a corresponding decline in wholesale box prices), there is no way goyf would hold $200.

Jhriad

If the MSRP for MM15 was lower (with a corresponding decline in wholesale box prices), there is no way goyf would hold $200.

MSRP wouldn't have any real effect on a limited print set like MM or MM15. It affects normal sets because the print run is unlimited and any box that has an EV noticeably higher than the typical retail cost eventually gets printed enough that prices normalize. The only thing that would have made a larger impact on the price would have been to either increase the print run of the set or move Goyf to Rare. Either one would make it a lot harder for buylists/speculators to gobble up a lot of the supply.

ultron87

What's everyone's Vegas haul?

From events: Clique, Foil Bitterblossom (w/ day 2 stamp!), Ulamog x 2, Mox Opal, 2 Foil Dismember. Modern Masters packs have been pretty good to me. Also got a Batterskull and a GP La Rattleclaw Mystic play mat off the prize wall.

I think I opened or got passed 30 packs worth of MM cards over the weekend (sealed trial, main event registered pool and played pool, 4 drafts) and I have not seen a single Lightning Bolt. I don't like need them, really, but it's a weird statistical anomaly I remember.

OnPoint

MSRP wouldn't have any real effect on a limited print set like MM or MM15. It affects normal sets because the print run is unlimited and any box that has an EV noticeably higher than the typical retail cost eventually gets printed enough that prices normalize. The only thing that would have made a larger impact on the price would have been to either increase the print run of the set or move Goyf to Rare. Either one would make it a lot harder for buylists/speculators to gobble up a lot of the supply.

It's not like it would even be that broken to draft two of them in one deck. So it's purely for not tanking the value of the card that it's a mythic. It's so stupid.

y2dvd

Yall are opening so well. Pass it my way. :(

So I want to be able to continuously draft with my MM box. I was thinking of just typing out every pack in the exact order, that way after drafting or sealed, I can just rearrange them. Any thoughts or ideas make this easier? I was just gonna save it on Excel or something.

FeD.nL

So post GP my b/w token deck looks pretty decent, did a lot of trading and this is how it looks now.

3x Sorin, Solem Visitor
3x Tidehollow Sculler
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Timely Reinforcements
4x Raise the Alarm
4x Lingering Souls
4x Spectral Procession
1x Secure the Wastes
4x Path to Exile
4x Intangible Virtue
1x Zealous Persecution
2x Dismember

2x Vault of the Archangel
4x Godless Shrine
4x Isolated Chapel
4x Windswept Heath
4x Windbrisk Highs
4x Plains
2x Swamp

1x Elspeth Knight's Errand
2x Hero of Bladehold
2x Rest in Peace
2x Timely reinforcements
1x Relic of Progenitus
1x Zealous persecution
1x Dismember
3x Duress
2x Kor Firewalker

So the Thoughtseizes are next for the Tidehollow Sculler and then hopefully the black/white fetchlands by the end of the year. Played a couple of games over the weekend and already really enjoy how the deck plays. Would like to thank Angry Grimace and WanderingWind once again for their help with what to get and how the upgrade from the event deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My facebook feed:

9VUo4AS.png

It knows I want to buy that Tarmogoyf. Only $3000!

The fact there are supported ads doesn't weird me out, just the fact it picked that specific item out of the ~30 items I looked at on eBay today.

ultron87

Yah know, people try to minimize the impact of Crackgate but over a year later random people still bring that up when I mention that I went to a Magic tournament. Definitely had a lasting impact on the game's image.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Owen's response was the biggest horseshit non-apology ever. Fuck Owen.

OnPoint

Yah know, people try to minimize the impact of Crackgate but over a year later random people still bring that up when I mention that I went to a Magic tournament. Definitely had a lasting impact on the game's image.

Considering I went to GP Toronto two months ago and walked around and saw more than a handful of buttcracks, I'd say he had a point. Sorry, but people SHOULD pay more attention to whether their ass is hanging out or not.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Fucking good. I haven't seen a single crack since! Dirty fucks needed a mommy to tell them to wear a belt and take a goddamn shower.

Sometimes, shame is necessary.

Bandini

So post GP my b/w token deck looks pretty decent, did a lot of trading and this is how it looks now.

So the Thoughtseizes are next for the Tidehollow Sculler and then hopefully the black/white fetchlands by the end of the year. Played a couple of games over the weekend and already really enjoy how the deck plays. Would like to thank Angry Grimace and WanderingWind once again for their help with what to get and how the upgrade from the event deck.

Looking nice. I have a very similar deck, only I run 3 Honor of the Pure as well... which can be better or worse, depending, but I personally like dropping 2 enchantments. 3/3 Spirits are nasty.

Marsh Flats should be getting reprinted soon, so don't jump the gun too much on them if you can help it.

OnPoint

Looking nice. I have a very similar deck, only I run 3 Honor of the Pure as well... which can be better or worse, depending, but I personally like dropping 2 enchantments. 3/3 Spirits are nasty.

Marsh Flats should be getting reprinted soon, so don't jump the gun too much on them if you can help it.

In a tokens deck I always find Intangible Virtue to be stronger, depending on the amount of non-token creatures you have. I do see those are in there, but the Honors just feel redundant to me.

ironmang

The "crackgate" guy is a piece of shit and should have been lifetime banned. He wasn't trying to improve anything. He was trying to get himself famous by taking advantage of easy targets. People should be able to feel safe at official tournaments and not have to worry about an unfortunate shift in their chair resulting in them being shamed in front of millions on the internet.

If you go to any venue, magic or not, with thousands of people sitting in open back chairs you're going to see some ass. Just avert your eyes.

Bandini

In a tokens deck I always find Intangible Virtue to be stronger, depending on the amount of non-token creatures you have. I do see those are in there, but the Honors just feel redundant to me.

T1 Kozilek, T2 Raise the Alarm, T3 Spectral, T4 Honor + Intangible just feels so good, man.

OnPoint

The "crackgate" guy is a piece of shit and should have been lifetime banned. He wasn't trying to improve anything. He was trying to get himself famous by taking advantage of easy targets. People should be able to feel safe at official tournaments and not have to worry about an unfortunate shift in their chair resulting in them being shamed in front of millions on the internet.

If you go to any venue, magic or not, with thousands of people sitting in open back chairs you're going to see some ass. Just avert your eyes.

The Crackgate dude was a douche about it. No doubt. But on the subject of ass-outage in general? I don't agree. Having your ass hang out of your pants, your literal bare ass -- even if it's just the top half of it -- is not something that should happen on a regular basis. Who knows what that person's hygiene situation is? Other people sit in those chairs as well.

An unfortunate shift in a chair resulting in an ass crack? Sure, that happens from time to time to anyone I'm sure. And if it happens, pull em up. But consistently, round after round, asses everywhere to be seen? No, that's just pure ass-covering carelessness.

Wear a belt. Pull up your pants. Be an adult. It's not that hard to make sure you're fully clothed when in public.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

lol...no hyperbole here. I don't know how dressing like an adult is so difficult. If they were easy targets, it's because they made themselves easy targets. Unfortunate shift? If you have the money to play in Magic tournaments, you can afford a belt. Personal responsibility comes in to play. For him too, which means he needed to realize some punishment was probably coming. But let's temper the language with some reality, shall we?

You didn't feel "unsafe" if you were called out for having your ass hanging out, you felt embarrassed. Let's use words properly. A woman who gets harassed at an MtG tournament feels "unsafe."

Ban? I can see it. Lifetime ban/piece of shit/making people feel unsafe? No.

ironmang

lol...no hyperbole here. I don't know how dressing like an adult is so difficult. If they were easy targets, it's because they made themselves easy targets. Unfortunate shift? If you have the money to play in Magic tournaments, you can afford a belt. Personal responsibility comes in to play. For him too, which means he needed to realize some punishment was probably coming. But let's temper the language with some reality, shall we?

You didn't feel "unsafe" if you were called out for having your ass hanging out, you felt embarrassed. Let's use words properly. A woman who gets harassed at an MtG tournament feels "unsafe."

Ban? I can see it. Lifetime ban/piece of shit/making people feel unsafe? No.

I'll respond with more later to both but there's a difference between "hey WanderingWind, your ass is hanging out" vs "hey WanderingWind, your ass is in the most popular thread on reddit". The first is embarrassing but the second is something that could follow you around for a very long time.

He's absolutely a piece of shit and should be lifetime banned. He took pictures without permission and even posted them on a subreddit outside of /magictcg just to make fun of those people. There's nothing stopping other people who don't even play magic from going to tournaments trying to, in true reddit fashion, copycat that guy in hopes of getting similar temporary fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom