• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

I wish I had time to go to Yard Sales...

IMG_0297_zpsurah3pb8.jpg
Guy found all of this and more for $11...

ElyrionX

Even if you already have a playset of foil Goyfs, even if you will never play them, who the hell passes up 400 free dollars? LSV said he's not happy with the pick either.

"Pros" are sort of losing themselves up their own anuses, if the tweets are to be taken seriously.

This is why I never understood draft as a format. There eill always be moments like this happening and people dropping because of it.

Firemind

MM2015 is a bit of an exception though. A number of people only registered because the entry fee for trials and side events is actually cheaper than buying packs from a store, and a lot of mythics and rares in MM2015 are in demand. I saw people dropping even before they opened the packs. smh

LSV teaching Grimace and I how to draft(grimace said GW is bad and I said tukatongue was unplayable):
CGYJIGhU8AAb4n3.jpg

It's possible to win on turn 4 with this deck through multiple blockers lol

I really hope MM15 prices fall some more. They've held relatively stable over the weekend and I would like to attempt to get a few cheaper things to start building toward having some Modern playable cards.

On a different note, since I haven't actually had the experience of a set rotation yet could some of you fill me in on when the best time to buy cards that will be rotating out will be? Do I want to wait until just after rotation for the best prices? Obviously eternal staples like Thoughtseize won't drop but I'm more interested in picking up some EDH stuff and maybe a few things like Anger of the Gods and Master of Waves that see occasional play in certain decks/sideboards in other formats.

Is there anything else I should be aware of about rotation?

You missed your shot on eternals a while ago, but edh stuff will die about a week after rotation. Stuff like Blood Baron of Viskopa went from 20 bucks to 2 over a couple month period.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166014170]You missed your shot on eternals a while ago, but edh stuff will die about a week after rotation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately I wasn't around for peak supply on Theros block but I did manage to get a playset of Thoughtseize for $50 several months ago so I lucked out there. What other eternal playables will I be missing? I'm not super familiar with what Modern decklists look like so I'm not sure which cards I should be trading into or buying if I find at value. The few that I'm aware of would be:

Anger of the Gods, Master of Waves, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Keranos, Temple of Enlightenment, Chord of Calling, Urborg, and maybe Brimaz?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chord is probably a safe bet to pick up now since its like $4 and seeing more playing the CoCo deck in Modern. Keranos barely sees play but he might go up simply because he's a Mythic in an otherwise horrific third-set.

Most of those I see just holding and going up rather slowly since none of them are key players in Tier 1 decks, they're either sideboard stuff or key players in Tier 2 decks.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166014170]LSV teaching Grimace and I how to draft(grimace said GW is bad and I said tukatongue was unplayable):
CGYJIGhU8AAb4n3.jpg

It's possible to win on turn 4 with this deck through multiple blockers lol

You missed your shot on eternals a while ago, but edh stuff will die about a week after rotation. Stuff like Blood Baron of Viskopa went from 20 bucks to 2 over a couple month period.[/QUOTE]

You also concede on the spot to Savage Twister X=3, and the 3 is only necessary if you have Fortify. I just hate the deck because it needs to set up for a big turn and its hard to keep pushing through to get that big turn going.

Firemind

I still have 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel from the last standard block. Not sure if I should hold onto them, since it's from the smaller sets.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think that card is probably a hold, especially since Enchantment Creature probably means its extremely unlikely to see a reprint any time soon.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I still have 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel from the last standard block. Not sure if I should hold onto them, since it's from the smaller sets.

Not even a question. They'll never print anything like that again and it's going to be a staple in RDW for a long, long time. Casual players drive the prices of decks more than anything else and they love them some RDW/burn.

Keep for 100 percent, no qualifications.

Trust me. I'm a shark. I don't have a neck.

Bakphoon

Keep it, especially since some more decks seem to discover it. At least i have seen some Zoo lists that use it already.

red13th

Somebody help me, I'm thinking about buying a Duel Deck Anthology Ancestral Vision because it has the colour identity symbol instead of "Ancestral Vision is blue" text (I hate this), I need someone to remind me the new frame is horrible.
It also says exile instead of remove from the game.
But that new frame :(

Also why won't they release a modern frame RKF Earthquake? :(

Angry Grimace

"I wouldn't take the goyf" = "I don't have to worry about money"

Literally anyone that is upset in any way about this happening is a pitiful human being. It was funny that it happened, period. Its just a funny story. If the pack rare was a Mirror Entity or a Mirran Crusader something completely swingy and bomby, it would be a bigger story to me, but still just a funny one.

Meanwhile, these guys are super chummy with people who've been DQ'd for straight-up cheating and jerkasses like Craig Wescoe who once got a dude DQ'd from qualifying for the top 8 of a GP for taking his friend on a $10 bet that he'd win the tournament.

OnPoint

If the argument is that it ruins the integrity of the game, then it's time to change how drafting works.

1. Everyone opens their packs and writes the contents down, verifies with judge
  2. You pass and draft as normal
  3. You write the contents of your drafted deck down and verify with judge
  4. Play the games
  5. Return all cards to judges, with check in
  6. Everyone gets their opened cards back

That way you don't need to rare draft and you keep the crap you open.

WanderingWind

Not to mention some of the guys whining about the integrity of the game are sponsored by CFB and TCGplayer.

Yeah, I'm sure being paid to play Magic while being given every card you need and an infinite playtest group consisting of other pros is perfectly aligned with the "integrity" of your magic fairy spell casting game.

Dipshits.

Angry Grimace

It doesn't ruin the integrity of the game though. The fact that you can rare-draft is seriously a part of what makes drafting fun for a lot of people - most people who draft are bad at limited in reality.

kirblar

It doesn't ruin the integrity of the game though. The fact that you can rare-draft is seriously a part of what makes drafting fun for a lot of people - most people who draft are bad at limited in reality.
In many LSV online drafts he's like "Yeah, this is 12 tickets, we're taking it."

y2dvd

Screw that. Sealed is already terribly slow because of having to register that crap. They want to keep the integrity of the game? Agressively reprint all those pricey cards so people won't drop or money draft anymore.

Screw that. Sealed is already terribly slow because of having to register that crap. They want to keep the integrity of the game? Agressively reprint all those pricey cards so people won't drop or money draft anymore.

lol.

with such a popular game, Wizards is damned if they do, damned if they don't as far as value cards are concerned.

Also, old super powerful cards are probably never going to be reprinted in any major capacity.

WanderingWind

Yeah, exactly. There are only two sides of this haterade being drank. 1) They wished they opened a foil Goyf and 2) what kirblar said.

Jhriad

Congratulations to Jhriad, send me a PM of where you'd like me to send these sleeves.

Huh. Totally didn't expect to win these. Neat!

Yes, please.

Angry Grimace

In many LSV online drafts he's like "Yeah, this is 12 tickets, we're taking it."

If you look at what Brian Kibler is saying on Twitter he pretty much just says exactly what I am thinking. Which probably isn't surprising given Kibler is vaguely famous for being well-adjusted as far as Magic players go.

This is the worst "pro controversy" since people got actual-mad at Ari Lax for being happy while winning a fucking Pro Tour.

T9Kbfu7.png

Firemind

Literally anyone that is upset in any way about this happening is a pitiful human being. It was funny that it happened, period. Its just a funny story. If the pack rare was a Mirror Entity or a Mirran Crusader something completely swingy and bomby, it would be a bigger story to me, but still just a funny one.

Meanwhile, these guys are super chummy with people who've been DQ'd for straight-up cheating and jerkasses like Craig Wescoe who once got a dude DQ'd from qualifying for the top 8 of a GP for taking his friend on a $10 bet that he'd win the tournament.
Wow, what a dick. Wizards should be ashamed too. At the GP last weekend, I used coins as counters in a casual game. A judge saw it and he said I can't use coins as counters and I should take it away from the table. I was like: "Seriously?"

Angry Grimace

Huey and Owen look even more like utterly pathetic douchebags considering Pascal's response:

Now that I've taken the time to read just about every tweets, here is what I have to say (Note that everything I replied prior this post was mostly just feeding the troll/story):
I appreciate everyone trying to support me, but the fact is, I agree with everything Owen Turtenwald, William Jensen, Josh Utter-Leyton and Reid Duke ''meant to say''. I find their choices of words a little bit aggressive, but I would've thought just about the same of any other pro in my situation.
I assume what they meant to say was that I'm disgracing the professional community because I valued money over percentages of winning more games, which is easily translated to ; Pro Players don't play Magic for money.
Some play to prove they are still among the best even with a full-time job (see Paul Rietzl).
Some play for fame.
Some play because it's a great, mind challenging game.
Some play as a lifestyle, they want money, but mostly to maintain the ability to travel, eat, pay rent and not have to work a regular job that could affect their availability. (see Owen)
I'm the latter. The truth is that I thought taking this foil Tarmogoyf, was worth more than the percentage I get from having 1 Burst Lightning in my deck. I didnt do it for the actual money, I did it because I thought this X amount of money could possibly mean going to more Grand Prix.
I had under 1 minute to take into account everything and I believe Martin Jůza had the best way to resume my quick thought process. He said, ''Would you pay 500$ to have Burst Lightning in your draft deck.''.
My answer was no. The reason why I agree with what has been said is that I forgot that I had Worlds and Platinum on the line as a result of having such little time to think.
From my lifestyle standpoint, now that I had more than 1 minute to consider what was on the line at that moment, I missplayed.
Do I regret ? From the point of view that my goal is to always find the right play in any giving situation, yes. For the story and entertainment it created ... Would do it again.
Love heart emoticon
- Pascal
PS: For those who are wondering what I'll do with the Goyf, I'm still thinking about it. Stay tuned.

In the comments, he noted that he already had to not attend a couple of GP because he's broke.

OnPoint

I had under 1 minute to take into account everything and I believe Martin Jůza had the best way to resume my quick thought process. He said, ''Would you pay 500$ to have Burst Lightning in your draft deck.''.

YES.

Angry Grimace

Wescoe's comment in reply to Pascal's repsonse:

"I'm still going to troll you about it at every opportunity, but I knew why you took it as soon as I heard about it. You skipped GPs this year because you couldn't afford the travel expenses and at the beginning of the weekend you told me you were skipping some of the final 4 GPs of the year for the same reason, despite being in 2nd place for the worlds slot. It's easy for someone who can afford to attend every GP to judge you, but I won't judge you because I know your situation. I just hope your succes this weekend means you will attend the last 4 GPs so we can have a fair race for the Worlds slot and so you can hopefully hit platinum and be able to afford to attend all the GPs next year."

Huey and Owen should feel like big fucking dicks, because they are. Something tells me they'll just defend themselves, because they seemed like dicks to begin with. Well, Owen at least.

Crocodile

I mean it's all about what people personally value right? As far as I can tell, most of the pros who disagree with Pascal's pick don't think he's a terrible person but rather value winning the GP more (more than the the $$$ value would suggest). I'm on Team Goyf BTW. I think the real issue is that payouts are too low if taking the foil Goyf is the right move EV-wise with respect to $$$.

Let's be fair, an 8-4 event on MODO doesn't actually mean anything - its no GP :p

WanderingWind

I honestly don't know how R&D can look at this situation and not feel sick. There is no way they're happy with this situation.

Marketing, on the other hand, is doing a little dance, making a little love and getting down tonight.

Matriox

Maybe it was all an elaborate plan/inside job to make that particular foil goyf worth more since it was involved in the controversy /tinfoilhat

Angry Grimace

Maybe it was all an elaborate plan/inside job to make that particular foil goyf worth more since it was involved in the controversy /tinfoilhat

My /tinfoilhat is that WOTC put the foil Goyf in the streamed pack on purpose.

Whoo, Japanese Kolaghan's Command just arrived ^_^

Can't decide if I wanna get the foreign Stoneforges and Cliques on TCGplayer yet...

My /tinfoilhat is that WOTC put the foil Goyf in the streamed pack on purpose.

If I was in charge of these things, I'd load all the packs. I don't give a fuck. Not to give advantages, but stick some sort of troll in the packs to make the puzzle harder.

Like putting in preview cards for the next set as a mindfuck.

styl3s

Is it cheaper to get into Modern or Standard? to keep it short i quit constructed play like 12 years ago but have been playing limited play off and on for the last 10ish years on MTGO but MTGO is fine for that because i can draft and do sealed in the comfort of my own home and it's cheap and fine but we got a nice new store here thats big and full of enthusiastic players and it's making me want to get back to the physical game to kind of force me to go out and be social with the game.

My problem comes down to i have no idea what to play. I know Legacy/Vintage is out of the question because i don't want to set fire to my savings and i know Standard is constantly changing so much you are constantly putting money into the decks so i kind of gravitate towards modern since the card pool is so large and i can play at a competitive level (competitive as in against other players here and weekly play) without breaking the bank. A buddy of mine mentioned a "soul sister" deck since i tend to lean towards W or W/G. I'm sure you people get annoying dumb questions like this all the time.

Edit- Also, double bagging cards?? Buddy told me if i do get back into physical i should double board my cards and that confuses me since when i used to play it was you just bought sleeves and that was it. Is there a kit? preferred brand? Is there a site where i can just order it ?

Angry Grimace

Is it cheaper to get into Modern or Standard? to keep it short i quit constructed play like 12 years ago but have been playing limited play off and on for the last 10ish years on MTGO but MTGO is fine for that because i can draft and do sealed in the comfort of my own home and it's cheap and fine but we got a nice new store here thats big and full of enthusiastic players and it's making me want to get back to the physical game to kind of force me to go out and be social with the game.

My problem comes down to i have no idea what to play. I know Legacy/Vintage is out of the question because i don't want to set fire to my savings and i know Standard is constantly changing so much you are constantly putting money into the decks so i kind of gravitate towards modern since the card pool is so large and i can play at a competitive level (competitive as in against other players here and weekly play) without breaking the bank. A buddy of mine mentioned a "soul sister" deck since i tend to lean towards W or W/G. I'm sure you people get annoying dumb questions like this all the time.

Edit- Also, double bagging cards?? Buddy told me if i do get back into physical i should double board my cards and that confuses me since when i used to play it was you just bought sleeves and that was it. Is there a kit? preferred brand? Is there a site where i can just order it ?

The answer depends entirely on what deck you want to play.

red13th

dual sleeving 4 life, KMC Perfect Size sleeves (inner) with KMC Hyper Mat sleeves (outer) work best.

styl3s

The answer depends entirely on what deck you want to play.
Green and White have always been my favorite colors since back in revised i love the green weenie, green/white weenie, the heal decks and even control decks but i am no stranger for goblin and burn decks or Black/Blue control.

I like to play anything that isn't overly convoluted cause i like to just have some fun. I am not looking to try and be some pro player i just wanna play at local shops and have some fun.

dual sleeving 4 life, KMC Perfect Size sleeves (inner) with KMC Hyper Mat sleeves (outer) work best.
I will write this down and ask my shop if they have this.

Also, worth it to buy any boxes? fat packs? buy bulk common/uncommon/rare standard lots from like ebay to kind of start off the collection? i see huge common/uncommon lots for like $20-30 that come with like 800-1000 cards from all the standard sets.

:(

Double sleeving cards is not necessary at all. I mean, go ahead and do it if you do not intend on taking the cards out of the sleeves, but not many people will actually care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom