• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Are we really victim blaming up in here? Yeah sorry, no. There's no question that ass cracks are not a thing we should be seeing at Magic tournaments. I legitimately can't understand how some people can be so inept at dressing themselves that this becomes a problem. I legit don't get it. However, that doesn't give someone the right to invade their privacy and publicly humiliate them online. What are upskirt photos okay just because someone is wearing a short, maybe even unusually short, skirt?

These actions reflects poorly on ALL Magic players and hurts the game. "Ass-Crackers" have a fashion problem but you bullying them is more likely going to get people to leave the game or slow growth then get those individuals to learn how to dress (you can go up and talk to them you know or talk to the store owner/judge about it in private if you don't want to confront them yourself).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Unless you can show the receipts that they don't make pants that fit you, I don't feel bad for you if a dude posts a humorous reddit thread featuring your ass-crack.

ultron87

I'm not convinced there's even a significant difference in ass cracks per capita between a Magic event and the bleachers at a baseball game or other event where people sit down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166207273]People that have to look at ass cracks are the victims here.[/QUOTE]

"Victim blaming" as a phrase has rapidly become meaningless. Because, for example, it gets applied to the people who leave their ass cracks hanging out in public. You can't just reduce an argument to "victim blaming" as though that somehow resolves the argument in your favor. Literally every dispute is more nuanced than that.

Joe Molotov

Unless you can show the receipts that they don't make pants that fit you, I don't feel bad for you if a dude posts a humorous reddit thread featuring your ass-crack.

But what if you made a humorous thread about girls with their boobs hanging at cons out because you wanted to shame them into covering up, hmmm?
LCILb5a.png

Angry Grimace

But what if you made a humorous thread about girls with their boobs hanging at cons out because you wanted to shame them into covering up, hmmm?
LCILb5a.png

Yeah, but nobody did.

Also, I have no idea what that floating basketball guy head means, nor do I know what any floating basketball head guy means.

Crocodile

"Victim blaming" as a phrase has rapidly become meaningless. Because, for example, it gets applied to the people who leave their ass cracks hanging out in public. You can't just reduce an argument to "victim blaming" as though that somehow resolves the argument in your favor. Literally every dispute is more nuanced than that.

No, it aptly describes when people are trying to shift the blame away from someone who did something unethical or immoral to those they committed the act upon - people that may have been in various states of vulnerability. Furthermore, I believe I went into detail (invasion of privacy, humiliation tactics, bullying, etc.) about why what Crackgate guy did was fucked up. You people are showing some real lack of empathy.

LCILb5a.png

Seriously, its the exact same thing and you would be BLASTED on GAF if you tried to pull something off like that. The only difference between the scenarios is that boobs are aesthetically pleasing so people's boners might get in the way of rational thought.

Angry Grimace

It doesn't aptly describe anything that happens here unless you dramatically over-simplify the argument. Its a buzz-word you're using to try and win an argument without actually arguing your point sufficiently.

And yeah, the "humorous thread about girls with their boobs hanging at cons" is neither here nor there. That's just changing the subject to something you can blast a lot easier. Its not the same thing, like at all.

ironmang

Who knows what that person's hygiene situation is? Other people sit in those chairs as well.

An unfortunate shift in a chair resulting in an ass crack? Sure, that happens from time to time to anyone I'm sure. And if it happens, pull em up. But consistently, round after round, asses everywhere to be seen? No, that's just pure ass-covering carelessness.

Wear a belt. Pull up your pants. Be an adult. It's not that hard to make sure you're fully clothed when in public.

Just looking at the pictures from the "crackgate" thread, none of them appear to have bare ass touching the chairs. I'm not saying people should have their asses out but it's not as bad as you think it is. I was at that GP and the heat caused by poor ventilation and too many people was a lot worse than the 1% of people showing some butt. Guarantee every chair in that room saw it's share of swampass. I couldn't even walk around to the vendors in that main room without sweating and I run at least a few miles most days of the week.

As far as belts go, half or more of the people in the thread are wearing belts.

Crocodile

It doesn't aptly describe anything that happens here unless you dramatically over-simplify the argument. Its a buzz-word you're using to try and win an argument without actually arguing your point sufficiently.

And yeah, the "humorous thread about girls with their boobs hanging at cons" is neither here nor there. That's just changing the subject to something you can blast a lot easier. Its not the same thing, like at all.

The only way this post makes sense is if you saw the first sentence of my post, saw the word "victim blaming" and decided to stop reading - I already explicitly argued my point. Do I need to repeat myself? Maybe if I organize it in bullet points it might be easier for you to understand?

Why the Crack-gate guy is an asshole and what he did was wrong

• It's an invasion of privacy. Even in public spaces, taking pictures of people without their permission (especially of sensitive areas) and plastering them online is not acceptable. You can make exceptions like if an individual is a public danger (escaped convict, suspect for a terrible crime, etc.) but that obviously doesn't apply here. If you come to an event and have to worry somebody might be recording your image against your will (either to shame you or for some other purpose), its natural to feel uneasy or scared. This problem is even worse for women for obvious reasons.
  • Bullying doesn't work. There should be enough examples in our own lives or those around us to know that just bullying a person is very unlikely to produce positive change - especially with an issue like wardrobe. If you want to moderate someones behavior, either confront them privately or get an intermediary to do so for you like a store owner or judge.
  • It hurts the image and growth of the game. "Large" and/or less fashion sensible individuals are more very likely to leave the community wholesale after such a shaming. People who know nothing about Magic or are still forming their first impressions of the community are going to think everybody is a bunch of gross slobs and stay away. Both hurt the playerbase and in turn hurt the game (its a business afterall).
"They were gross and thus deserved it so the Crackgate guy was in the right" is moving all the blame for the act from Crackgate dude to those he photographed. The crux of the Pro-Crackgate guy argument is that those people had it coming to them and deserved it. How is that acceptable? How lacking in empathy do you have to be to have that line of thought? Just because there is a problem doesn't mean any and every solution is acceptable.

red13th

I just spent $470 in cardboard and bought the cards I needed from MM15. Ouch. :p
Only six cards left to finish my cube (Liliana of the Veil and Zendikar Fetchlands)! Yey.

Angry Grimace

The only way this post makes sense is if you saw the first sentence of my post, saw the word "victim blaming" and decided to stop reading - I already explicitly argued my point. Do I need to repeat myself? Maybe if I organize it in bullet points it might be easier for you to understand?

Why the Crack-gate guy is an asshole and what he did was wrong

• It's an invasion of privacy. Even in public spaces, taking pictures of people without their permission (especially of sensitive areas) and plastering them online is not acceptable. You can make exceptions like if an individual is a public danger (escaped convict, suspect for a terrible crime, etc.) but that obviously doesn't apply here. If you come to an event and have to worry somebody might be recording your image against your will (either to shame you or for some other purpose), its natural to feel uneasy or scared. This problem is even worse for women for obvious reasons.
  • Bullying doesn't work. There should be enough examples in our own lives or those around us to know that just bullying a person is very unlikely to produce positive change - especially with an issue like wardrobe. If you want to moderate someones behavior, either confront them privately or get an intermediary to do so for you like a store owner or judge.
  • It hurts the image and growth of the game. "Large" and/or less fashion sensible individuals are more very likely to leave the community wholesale after such a shaming. People who know nothing about Magic or are still forming their first impressions of the community are going to think everybody is a bunch of gross slobs and stay away. Both hurt the playerbase and in turn hurt the game (its a business afterall).
"They were gross and thus deserved it so the Crackgate guy was in the right" is moving all the blame for the act from Crackgate dude to those he photographed. The crux of the Pro-Crackgate guy argument is that those people had it coming to them and deserved it. How is that acceptable? How lacking in empathy do you have to be to have that line of thought? Just because there is a problem doesn't mean any and every solution is acceptable.

If you think that assigning those exposed-ass guys the label of "victim" and therefore saying they are immune from criticism, then, well, okay I guess. But its hardly that cut-and-dried. Its not actually socially acceptable to wander around with your ass hanging out. Whether these dudes kept their asses out and whether Crackgate guy was in the wrong are actually separate events. Using the "victim blaming" argument treats them as a singular event, which isn't actually fair since I personally would like these people to keep their asses in their pants.

Crocodile

If you think that assigning those exposed-ass guys the label of "victim" and therefore saying they are immune from criticism, then, well, okay I guess. But its hardly that cut-and-dried. Its not actually socially acceptable to wander around with your ass hanging out. Whether these dudes kept their asses out and whether Crackgate guy was in the wrong are actually separate events. Using the "victim blaming" argument treats them as a singular event, which isn't actually fair since I personally would like these people to keep their asses in their pants.

FFS I dunno how you could come to that conclusion. I said "If you want to moderate someones behavior, either confront them privately or get an intermediary to do so for you like a store owner or judge." Even in my reply to God's Beard is should be fucking clear I have no desire to see someone's ass in my line of vision. Literally everything I've posted has been in condemnation of the actions of Crackgate due and against the support of said actions (see for example WanderingWind's posts - he straight up said they only have themselves to blame for being targets and lets not pretend similar or worse wasn't said on the internet when this event was fresh) nothing else. What these people deserve is a stern but friendly check from their peers (fellow players, store owners, judges) to dress better. What they don't deserve is to be publicly shamed on the entire internet in way that only serves to boost one dudes ego and at the expense of the security of its players and the image of the game. That they can't dress themselves doesn't make Crackgate dude's actions anything less than an assholish thing to do.

Let's put it this way: if dressing such that your asscrack is exposed while sitting down is something that deserves to be punished, then an appropriate punishment should be given. If public shame is considered to be an appropriate type of punishment, then the degree of public shame should be appropriate. Having your ass posted online to an audience of thousands for the specific purpose of mocking you is surely a disproportionate punishment.

Angry Grimace

Let's put it this way: if dressing such that your asscrack is exposed while sitting down is something that deserves to be punished, then an appropriate punishment should be given. If public shame is considered to be an appropriate type of punishment, then the degree of public shame should be appropriate. Having your ass posted online to an audience of thousands for the specific purpose of mocking you is surely a disproportionate punishment.

How do we even know who these people are? I doubt I could even identify my own ass in a lineup.

People who know nothing about Magic or are still forming their first impressions of the community are going to think everybody is a bunch of gross slobs and stay away.

On the other hand "a bunch of gross slobs...stay away" works as a pretty good description for a large portion of the people who hang out at the hobby stores in my area.

Kwixotik

So a couple weeks into Magic now. Here are a couple decks built from the random cards I had from a few years ago (mostly from M11 deck builders toolkit). The U/W deck is missing a card from the decklist, but I don't care enough to find out which one lol. Also, that deck was mostly built buy a guy at a comic shop for me back when I bought the toolkit. I've just been playing these casually against my girlfriend and usually win, but I'm very aware that they aren't very good.
https://deckbox.org/sets/996233
https://deckbox.org/sets/993319

Anyway, I've been thinking about buying this budget B/W warriors deck I found online to go get wrecked at my first FNM. Any thoughts?
http://deckstats.net/decks/25054/229989-dtk-b-w-warriors-budget-deck/en

So a couple weeks into Magic now. Here are a couple decks built from the random cards I had from a few years ago (mostly from M11 deck builders toolkit). The U/W deck is missing a card from the decklist, but I don't care enough to find out which one lol. Also, that deck was mostly built buy a guy at a comic shop for me back when I bought the toolkit. I've just been playing these casually against my girlfriend and usually win, but I'm very aware that they aren't very good.
https://deckbox.org/sets/996233
https://deckbox.org/sets/993319

Anyway, I've been thinking about buying this budget B/W warriors deck I found online to go get wrecked at my first FNM. Any thoughts?
http://deckstats.net/decks/25054/229989-dtk-b-w-warriors-budget-deck/en

Concerning your own decks, remember not to have too many high-cost cards without the proper support. Also, though it's probably fine for your casual games, you should know that both Ponder and Preordain are banned in Modern--they made combo decks too consistent, and Wizards only fairly recently realized how strong one-mana card filtering and then drawing is.

The warriors deck seems fine. Feel free to replace the more expensive cards with others. Some possible cheap cards are:

Blood-Chin Rager
Blood-Chin Fanatic
Mardu Strike Leader
Mardu Skullhunter
Merciless Executioner
Timely Hordemate
Sultai Scavenger
Sightless Brawler (bestow will trigger prowess)

ultron87

15k! Geez, that is nuts. This isn't quite as one of a kind as 1996 World Champion, but still pretty impressively unique. Pretty sweet that this should let him get to more tournaments and also give money to charity.

bigkrev

Pretty much every bid over 2K was from people with less than 10 feedback, which meant that they weren't going to pay, but the current high bid is from someone with over 2000 feedback, so this is actually real.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah, that sucker is getting shipped with the highest possible levels of insurance and tracking at this point.

As if he is actually going to ship a Tarmogoyf.

Honestly I just hope these bids are legitimate. There was a crazy jump today where it literally doubled from like 4k to 8k which just seems fishy.

edit - it looks like there are some high feedback bids going on now so thats cool.

As if he is actually going to ship a Tarmogoyf.

Honestly I just hope these bids are legitimate. There was a crazy jump today where it literally doubled from like 4k to 8k which just seems fishy.

edit - it looks like there are some high feedback bids going on now so thats cool.

Hehe. I hope he buys a plane ticket and transports it handcuffed to his arm in a briefcase. :p

Thumbs down to ass crack photography and self-important douchebag "pros," thumbs up to $16,000 eBay prices and people exposing less ass at tournaments.

I was at that GP and the heat caused by poor ventilation and too many people was a lot worse than the 1% of people showing some butt. Guarantee every chair in that room saw it's share of swampass.

People blame poor hygiene for MTG smell but I can step right out of the shower and go to a CFB event and I'll smell like old sewer by the end because the fuckers are too cheap to air condition or have a big enough space for the events they hold. My kingdom for a store that caters to adults.

15k! Geez, that is nuts. This isn't quite as one of a kind as 1996 World Champion, but still pretty impressively unique.

I enjoyed the Twitter convo today about what other individual specific cards from famous tournament moments might go for big bucks. The Worlds Bonfire and the Nassif called-shot Cruel Ultimatum both came up, but far and away my favorite suggestion was the Mike Long lap Cadaverous Bloom.

I enjoyed the Twitter convo today about what other individual specific cards from famous tournament moments might go for big bucks. The Worlds Bonfire and the Nassif called-shot Cruel Ultimatum both came up, but far and away my favorite suggestion was the Mike Long lap Cadaverous Bloom.

That one particular Lightning Helix would be another.

I wouldn't mind having the Ignite Memories that Chapin whiffed on either. :p

Oh, man, this Goyf thing is really bringing out the crazies:

P1i5REz.jpg

"This guy who is the CEO of gurumtg (Ebay Store) just said this. He was the 19k bidder and was outbid by 100$. Seems like a pretty poor business decision if you ask me."

Then the guy actually shows up on Pascal's post to... quote song lyrics, I guess? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153374025836499&set=a.62301466498.89394.728351498&type=1

Ah right, good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom