• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Jace the Mace - (17)U
Creature - Human Jace
Delve
Cascade, cascade, cascade
Forecast -- U, Reveal Jace the Mace from your hand: Put the top 17 cards of your library into your graveyard.
When you win the game, exile Jace the Mace and return it to the battlefield transformed.
1/1

idk why but I laughed at Human Jace.

OnPoint

anyone ever mail cards?

I have a Goyf and a Jace TMS I need to sell but dont want them to get fucked up in the mail. Packaging and shipping tips?

Insert card in soft plastic. Then insert card in hard plastic so the open side of the plastic is face down. Ensure the entire thing is inside then tape the top shut.

From here your options are limitless. You can wrap it in cardboard, you can put them in a peanuts filled box.

thanks guys, sleeving strategy makes sense, I think that + cardboard wrap + bubble mailer should be sufficient.

Depending what I get for them I could go the extra mile and toss that into a peanut filled box

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
thanks guys, sleeving strategy makes sense, I think that + cardboard wrap + bubble mailer should be sufficient.

Depending what I get for them I could go the extra mile and toss that into a peanut filled box
Use an inner sleeve, sleeve it upside down to prevent top edge wear from moving around in the hard sleeve in the mail.

OnPoint

What if they designed a PW ability that required the PW to be at a certain loyalty, but like, in the middle?

Like so:

0: Do some silly effect. Only use this ability if Peter Planeswalker is at 4 loyalty counters.​

Then make it so the PW abilities require you to plus and minus it once each to reach or damage it using red or something.

+2: Ability
-1: Ability
0: the ability that requires 4 I'm proposing
Starting Loyalty 3​

Matriox

Yeh I ship ebay cards out daily, that is usually the way to go. Anything else more expensive you can always get the larger case like this :

$(KGrHqIOKpsE4jeMlpSiBOTsoFpTEQ~~48_35.JPG

They fit in the bubble mailers this way as well. Make sure you get tracking and signature for what you think is worth having that for, I usually do signature for above $100 cards and tracking for anything above $25.

EDIT: Better representation of the case.

Ebay will intervene in auctions with abnormally large amounts of fake bids. That's all I'm getting at.

Unless you mistrust buyers with 500+ feedback I don't think this is actually an auction with an abnormally large number of fake bids.

Wonder if they'll use the fact that Liliana's from Dominaria and that her spark ignited pre-Mending as an excuse to sneak in a bunch of references and cameos from the early flavor, since, you know, it is Magic Origins.

The whole point of including Dominaria, Lorwyn, etc. in this set is to sneak in little pieces of each, as far as I understand it.

Excited about Magic Origins. Liliana, Heretical Healer is amazing so I'm hoping the others will be good too. That fake Chandra seems more legit now that we know about her home plane too.

She's almost certainly real. "Kaladesh" doesn't turn up online anywhere Magic-related until that card was spoiled.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Crocodile, they unlocked your Fire of Kaladesh thread on MTGS
KuGsj.gif

I still don't know where the guy on Something Awful that linked it to me got it...

Wichu

I'm taking advantage of the Blood Moon price spike by building Bloom Titan. Nobody will be able to afford to hate me out!

My Commander buys a couple of years ago are paying off, too. My first Azusa cost me the entirety of £1.04 :)

kirblar

The global issue with MTG: The game acts like it's a non-profit in trying to get pros , employees, and online players to accept below-market rates on payouts, salaries, and infrastructure development.

Angry Grimace

I'm taking advantage of the Blood Moon price spike by building Bloom Titan. Nobody will be able to afford to hate me out!

My Commander buys a couple of years ago are paying off, too. My first Azusa cost me the entirety of £1.04 :)

Not only can I afford to hate you out, I do it with The Dark Blood Moons.

The global issue with MTG: The game acts like it's a non-profit in trying to get pros , employees, and online players to accept below-market rates on payouts, salaries, and infrastructure development.

The actual material costs in MTG are probably negligible (its cardboard), so its probably actually quite difficult for people who know better to justify spending a fuck load of money on some other aspect of building the game.

Like, I could legitimately see a conversation with some honcho in which a beleagured mid-tier manager is like "we need to spend money on getting MTGO up to date and increasing the prize payout for our big tournaments" and the honcho says "We just sold out of a print run of $10 cardboard that contained other pieces of cardboard inside."

ironmang

Chronicles Blood Moon going for 60 on tcg. Is this real life?

kirblar

The actual material costs in MTG are probably negligible (its cardboard), so its probably actually quite difficult for people who know better to justify spending a fuck load of money on some other aspect of building the game.

Like, I could legitimately see a conversation with some honcho in which a beleagured mid-tier manager is like "we need to spend money on getting MTGO up to date and increasing the prize payout for our big tournaments" and the honcho says "We just sold out of a print run of $10 cardboard that contained other pieces of cardboard inside."
This has basically been the issue, according to people who know a lot more than I do - Hasbro's a toy company, not a games company, and the people in charge don't understand what they have.

bigkrev

Don't worry, it'll be reprinted at Mythic in a limited print run set that isn't as large as it should be and the price will go down to $40. Sounds good, right?

Fuck WOTC.

Blood Moon isn't a card they will reprint in standard because it rewards playing fair manabases, which isn't something they care about anymore
I want to know why 9E is the highest priced version though

Angry Grimace

Blood Moon isn't a card they will reprint in standard because it rewards playing fair manabases, which isn't something they care about anymore

I doubt there is some kind of legitimate reason beyond that one has low supply. I don't think 50+ is a sustainable price for Blood Moon at all outside of the Dark printing.

Angry Grimace

So when is the best time to sell Blood Moons

Its hard to say because stupid MTG Finance people constantly fucking ruin shit by doing massive buyouts to run the prices up.

Angry Grimace

The problem is that paper Magic's economics are just kind of fucked.

Concerning Magic Origins, I imagine that each plane affiliated with a planeswalker will only have cards of that planeswalker's color. So Zendikar and Lorwyn will only have green cards. Given that, and that this set is supposed to have fewer reprints than usual, any guesses on reprints?

Exokell

Banned
Do you guys feel like Narset is one of the worst planewalkers since Tibalt? Atleast Tibalt did something, Narset is basically 4 mana do nothing.

kirblar

I think i missed it. She was like a 40 dollars planeswalker right at that time?
Yeah, she's good in a traditional control shell and was in the original Esper Dragons lists. She still is in there, either in the main or board, for some people.

kirblar

Tibalt's design impetus: "Let's design a 2cc walker for the hell of it!"

And thus, Tibalt the crappy was born, destined to be crappy from his very inception.

I still don't get why they thought Sudden Impact was a good idea for the minus ability when there's no way they could allow it to be satisfying given Tibalt's nature as a two drop. Seriously inexplicable.

ElyrionX

Blood Moon is 60 bucks? I bought my playset for $30 just a couple of months ago. Fuck the MTG "finance" people and fuck WoTC.

And making sure it wasn't too good (i.e., deliberately underpowering it).

Warning: semantics incoming

I don't think Tibalt's problem is that he's underpowered. It's that he has underpowered versions of more powerful abilities.

I think a 2 cost planeswalker is viable if you aim for weaker abilities to replicate instead of picking strong abilities and then needing to gut them below a useful threshold. It might not be mindblowing as a card but it could be functional and playable.

In particular, they keep paying out now the way they paid out when the game was in the doldrums, even though now it's the most successful hobby game in the world.

From what I've been able to gather, R&D-type gigs actually pay market rates, it's just the engineers that get shafted.

When's the goddamn spoiler for Origins releasing

Previews start June 22, IIRC.

Angry Grimace

Kirblar is trying to test who is really worthy of being his friend by seeing who gets the Deathrite Shaman reference

Warning: semantics incoming

I don't think Tibalt's problem is that he's underpowered. It's that he has underpowered versions of more powerful abilities.

I think a 2 cost planeswalker is viable if you aim for weaker abilities to replicate instead of picking strong abilities and then needing to gut them below a useful threshold. It might not be mindblowing as a card but it could be functional and playable.

I don't think a 2 CMC walker is viable. PW are already overpowered to begin with since their abilities don't actually consume any of your mana.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do you guys feel like Narset is one of the worst planewalkers since Tibalt? Atleast Tibalt did something, Narset is basically 4 mana do nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Narset get more play post rotation. Its a potentially strong card in the right home. Tibalt is just crap.

I don't think a 2 CMC walker is viable. PW are already overpowered to begin with since their abilities don't actually consume any of your mana.

You know I had a concept for a simple black PW with soft abilities all figured out and then realized how its cost would probably let it be bananas in suicide/pox so nevermind, you're probably right

Jhriad

Which is why is specified a limited run set instead of an unlimited run set. Meaning Modern Masters 2017 is the most likely culprit. Although I suppose they could do something fucked like make it a Judge promo.

Only a single NM copy on TCGplayer at $120 and three LP copies at $65. All the lower priced copies were sold or taken off the market so it's the expensive copies left artificially distorting the numbers. Stock is pretty much depleted for every version on TCGPlayer with the Modern Masters version having the most currently in stock at a whopping 10 cards. Expect the "cheap" ones there to be bought out in the next day. I'd be surprised if it didn't end up as a baseline $70 card in the very near future. Maybe even higher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom