• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't think that last part is going to happen

yeah no way he wins a single match at FNM

all about having fun though.

Honestly if you are new to the game I really recommend starting out with limited (outside of like having a really good friend who is willing to teach you). Its cheaper and you're playing with the same cards as everyone else.

One of the LGS here uses Card Kingdom for their pricing. I guess that's better.

I always check ebay/TCG player before making a purchase.

BUT, it's a big chain store that sells video games, comics, books, toys, collectibles, blu-rays, etc.

So during holidays they have a buy one get free sale and I usually make some awesome Magic card buys during that time. It's basically 50% off. But JTMS is never found on the shelf during the sales...

I love Cardkingdom. They ship faster than anybody in my experience and their card search engine is my favorite. When I'm building a deck I use them to buy a bulk of the commons/uncommons etc all at once.

TCGplayer is great for specific singles, SCG sometimes has foreign cards hard to find elsewhere and personal sales like ebay or online trading sites have the best prices. It's a good idea to know the strengths and weaknesses of different sites. TrollandToad and Amazon sometimes have great deals on sealed product.

ironmang

Bought a pack of kmc hyper mattes in purple this past weekend and half of them split on me after 4 rounds of magic. Was really looking forward to those too. Fortunately though they also had some of the dragon shield mattes which seem to be a game changer. They feel as sturdy as normal dragon shields without backs that pickup every piece of dirt remotely in the area. Can't wait until they're available in bulk online.

Jhriad

Literally all the LGS in my country do that. I don't see what the big deal is. At least it's "market" pricing and SCG price moves can work in your favour too.

I guess maybe we're spoiled here in the States but SCG is pretty regularly one of the most expensive online options in my experience. If I'm going to pay a slight premium I'm probably just going to use CoolStuffInc since I dig their rewards program (and it's not unusual to find cards that haven't had their prices updated in a while). Hell, Amazon prices would be more competitive so long as we're talking $1+ cards. And then there's TCGPlayer shitting all over SCG prices.

Matriox

Bought a pack of kmc hyper mattes in purple this past weekend and half of them split on me after 4 rounds of magic. Was really looking forward to those too. Fortunately though they also had some of the dragon shield mattes which seem to be a game changer. They feel as sturdy as normal dragon shields without backs that pickup every piece of dirt remotely in the area. Can't wait until they're available in bulk online.

4 rounds is pretty short run from my experience, but KMC's excel for double sleeving and EDH decks from my experience but are meh-alright for standard play. I'm looking forward to trying Dragon Shield Mattes though, I like dragon shields for constructed.

OnPoint

Literally all the LGS in my country do that. I don't see what the big deal is. At least it's "market" pricing and SCG price moves can work in your favour too.

1. SCG is usually more expensive -- why buy from a store unless I need the card right that second if I can get it a few bucks cheaper elsewhere?

2. It feels good to go to a store and find a deal -- finding a $20 card for $10 is an awesome feeling. If they just check market value it standardizes the process.

Those are my main reasons. If I ran an LGS I would check a price somewhere for sure -- it just doesn't make sense to label each card with a price or expect that I would have them memorized -- but I would probably discount it by a couple percent so the person buying from me FEELS like they're getting a deal.

bigkrev

Soooo why did Deciever Exarch spike 7 dollars overnight? http://mtgstocks.com/cards/208

1. SCG is usually more expensive -- why buy from a store unless I need the card right that second if I can get it a few bucks cheaper elsewhere?

2. It feels good to go to a store and find a deal -- finding a $20 card for $10 is an awesome feeling. If they just check market value it standardizes the process.

Those are my main reasons. If I ran an LGS I would check a price somewhere for sure -- it just doesn't make sense to label each card with a price or expect that I would have them memorized -- but I would probably discount it by a couple percent so the person buying from me FEELS like they're getting a deal.

The reason SCG can charge the prices they do (although sometimes I have found them to have the cheapest prices on things- when I was building my first EDH deck back in 2009, they were far and away the cheapest on EDH cards like Mana Reflection) is that you get the best customer service/security. They will NEVER cancel an order on a card that spikes if you get it in, and if you aren't satisfied with the condition of your cards they will fix it for you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, I bought a playset of those for like 2 bucks I think, like literally a couple days ago.

Pressure points for decks are moving to different cards due to the reprints.

Also, speculation, of course.

This is going to be a catastrophic loss for someone, I think. I think this is a really bad spec. You can temporarily move any card's price drastically up by just buying out of SCG, TCG and eBay. There's no way that card will stick anywhere near there.

OnPoint

The reason SCG can charge the prices they do (although sometimes I have found them to have the cheapest prices on things- when I was building my first EDH deck back in 2009, they were far and away the cheapest on EDH cards like Mana Reflection) is that you get the best customer service/security. They will NEVER cancel an order on a card that spikes if you get it in, and if you aren't satisfied with the condition of your cards they will fix it for you.

Exactly. I'm not stranger to the great customer service of SCG. They've done me right in the past. If that's the reason they charge that much, then the LGS shouldn't be charging their prices.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chandra's story is super (not) exciting. Also, you didn't get to see her card (even though you already can see it in multiple places).

bigkrev

Pre-release kit solicit... 6 regular boosters plus a 7 card seeded booster pack.
Will make the format play more like traditional sealed deck, I guess. Probably for the best.

Magic Origins Prerelease packs give players the opportunity to learn the origin of their favorite Planeswalker and join them in battle at your Prerelease events. Players choose from one of five different Prerelease Packs, themed for the Planeswalker's color: White (Gideon), Blue (Jace), Black (Liliana), Red (Chandra), and Green (Nissa). The pack's theme does not guarantee a specific Planeswalker card.

Approved Prerelease locations can purchase Prerelease packs from authorized distributors and, in North America, from Wizards of the Coast. Your chosen distributor will provide ordering information when you contact them to place your Prerelease product order.

Contents:
6 Magic Origins booster packs
7-card seeded booster pack, including a stamped promo card
Story booklet
1 Spindown life counter
UPC: 6 30509 30239 0

Product Code: B25460000

MSRP: $25.99*
*Applies to U.S. only

Matriox

Pre-release kit solicit... 6 regular boosters plus a 7 card seeded booster pack.
Will make the format play more like traditional sealed deck, I guess. Probably for the best.

This seems like a great compromise.. Seeded boosters full of your color(s) are so lame.

Angry Grimace

Damn. I was holding out hope that the leaked Chandra was fake, but that art just about clinches it. :(

I'm still unsure if its the final version of the card or not since the templating seems off. Its not obvious if she transforms when you use the ping or just in general.

Being born with pyromancy then magically teleporting to the exact footsteps of her training grounds as her first planeswalk is just not very satisfying at all. Felt like Chandra had zero agency in her story.

OnPoint

I'm still unsure if its the final version of the card or not since the templating seems off. Its not obvious if she transforms when you use the ping or just in general.

Have they ever released a non-final card image before?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167192601]Being born with pyromancy then magically teleporting to the exact footsteps of her training grounds as her first planeswalk is just not very satisfying at all. Felt like Chandra had zero agency in her story.[/QUOTE]

It was incredibly empty. Her parents died, an entire village was slaughtered and there was zero emotion. Also, that stupid hand symbol thing sounded like some Hunger Games shit. Lame.

Angry Grimace

Have they ever released a non-final card image before?

It was incredibly empty. Her parents died, an entire village was slaughtered and there was zero emotion. Also, that stupid hand symbol thing sounded like some Hunger Games shit. Lame.

It's a leak from a month or so back with a date on it from January.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167195989]There's been a couple times where stuff like p/t changed to the final product.[/QUOTE]

I'd be curious to see the changes, if there are any. Reaction across the board seemed pretty negative from what I saw.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167022063]The fuck is going on with Snapcaster Mage? It's going up like three bucks a day now. Everybody swapping to Twin to beat the land decks in Modern?

sarkeezyzerhw.png

I'm gonna be able to start trading these for Jaces by the end of the month. This is obscene.[/QUOTE]

One day later:

sarkeezy23rcj.png

MjFrancis

Deceiver Exarch, Huntmaster of the Fells and Olivia Voldaren are all spiking hard.

I'm just going to start making proxies to fill in the pieces for all my Modern decks that I don't plan on taking to tournaments. They are just pieces of cardboard, and none of the money goes to Wizards anyways, so why not?

I like to make a few extra bucks to support my ridiculous hobby too, but this is deeper than that. Really disappointing.

OnPoint

This current price run-up feels really sudden. Most of these aren't going to stick, right?

Honestly, I'm going to sell my foil Huntmaster if the price gets high enough.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167199089]As far as ebay goes, they're gonna overtake forces soon.

Looks like they can be got for 70 bucks on ebay.[/QUOTE]

ZPTTXdB.png

Kaladesh seems like an interesting place, if not a bit too similar to the world of Conspiracy. I'm looking forward to the card for Chandra's parents more than Chandra, since they will surely be artificers.

Angry Grimace

Jace isn't even played all that much in Legacy anymore. (Blame Delver)

I can come up with a lot of reasons to unban Jace in Modern. They're not even bad ones. Jace isn't that awesome in Modern at all.

Bandini

Deceiver Exarch, Huntmaster of the Fells and Olivia Voldaren are all spiking hard.

I'm just going to start making proxies to fill in the pieces for all my Modern decks that I don't plan on taking to tournaments. They are just pieces of cardboard, and none of the money goes to Wizards anyways, so why not?

I like to make a few extra bucks to support my ridiculous hobby too, but this is deeper than that. Really disappointing.

I'm pretty much there already, brother. Think it's time to sell off LotV, Snapcasters, my foil fetch lands, and whatever else I can scrounge up that's worth $20+. So tired of dropping a hundred dollars or more every time I want to build or update a deck. I'll still do drafts and pre releases but whatever.

Lately I've been playing Vintage proxy decks almost exclusively. Such a fun format, it's a shame how expensive it is. But hey, laser printed proxies look pretty nice and are just fine with friends!

kirblar

I can come up with a lot of reasons to unban Jace in Modern. They're not even bad ones. Jace isn't that awesome in Modern at all.
Have to do it alongside a reprint and a BBE unban. But yeah, I'd like to try it and see what happens.

Worst case scenario: You have to reban him, and you've reprinted Jace.

Angry Grimace

Have to do it alongside a reprint and a BBE unban. But yeah, I'd like to try it and see what happens.

Worst case scenario: You have to reban him, and you've reprinted Jace.

I'm not sure how he'd be all that broken to begin with.

LGSes have a huge disadvantage compared to SCG and other online retailers: Overhead costs. Having a proper location to hold tournaments takes up space. Space costs money. They have good cause to charge SCG prices at the very least, and should definitely be higher than other online retailers.

LGSes provide an experience, and most online shops can't replicate it. If your LGS treats you well and is a net positive for your community, support it, and stop complaining about their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom