• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
3G: Blood Rhast gains "Sacrifice a land: Blood Rhast deals 3 damage to target player."
This is actually kind of interesting design space, or at least something to play around with. A single mana dump to gain a repeatable activated ability

OnPoint

8uONr8x.png

wpp6aFV.png

Well I'm ashamed that I waited to buy Huntmaster. I've always wanted that card. Never really got in a hurry because I didn't think that he was played all that much in Modern. Not since Jund was #1, I don't think.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167208997]I gave my 2-year old niece a Travis Woo token to play with but she decided she wanted a Leyline of Sanctity instead <_<

Nothing great though :-([/QUOTE]

Okay, Mr; what's good in Legacy Land?

I was looking at Esper Stoneblade, myself.

The downside to cockatrice is that not everybody likes playing against combo.

sarkeezy9huhz.png

I think Modern in general makes people more agitiated. Was giving my Grixis Twin deck another shot.

Inquisition me, I flash in exarch, tap his other colored source and he sees the twin, snap kicks me.

Okay, Mr; what's good in Legacy Land?

I was looking at Esper Stoneblade, myself.

Stoneblade is sweet, Miracles is the dominant deck right now which is good and bad if you like control. Deck loses really bad to the mirror.

I've mostly been sticking to Reanimator lately which has been pretty strong. Not many decks can beat turn one Sire of Insanity or Griselbrand on the play Plus, Reanimating your opponnent's Baleful Strix is value town. I really hate having entomb and Elesh Norn in my opening hand against elves, though. Sphinx of the Steel Wind just trolls a bunch of aggro decks as well.

I played Tidespout Tyrant against MUD today and just bounced his mana rocks all day lol

Yeef

Modern prices usually rise around this time (Modern season), but I think it's magnified due bother to MM2 and the change in the PPTQ formats.

ironmang

Are the price spikes we are seeing now common at all?

Shouldn't really be a surprise at this point. The past weekend of SCG Invi and Open, GP Charlotte this weekend, and every constructed PPTQ being modern this summer all boost the popularity of the format even more. Happened last year after GP Richmond too.

y2dvd

pls post deck, i love that card

Again it's hella budgeted and I based it on a deck I saw online. Went 3-1 with it at WNM. I beat affinity, some BU control deck, and tron and lost to Abzan Coco that got his infinite off like t4 both games.

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Kiln Fiend
4 Nivmagus Elemental
4 Vexing Devil

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Apostle's Blessing
4 Temur Battle Rage
4 Assault Strobe
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Titan's Strength
4 Brute Force

16 Mountains

The original had Blistercoil Weird over Nivmagus Elemental, Manamorphose over Vexing Devil, and Desperate Rituals over Lightning Bolt. I like Nivmagus because using his ability saves it against most burn spells. You probably would've had to use a pump spell to save your creature anyways if you played Blistercoil. Now you get to keep counters on it!

Vexing Devil never stuck around but even though this isn't a burn deck, the damage really added up from the sac clause. Still, I really wanted to dig for answers, so I think Manamorphose should replace it.

I didn't feel like Desperate Ritual was really needed, but maybe it's necessary as you are only running 16 lands. Lightning Bolt sure is versatile though.

I was able to T3 kill a few times. It felt like a crazy budgeted infect deck with regular dmg lol. I'm gonna mess around with the deck list. Thinking of adding Pillar of Flames for all those damn persist creatures Abzan Coco plays.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well I'm ashamed that I waited to buy Huntmaster. I've always wanted that card. Never really got in a hurry because I didn't think that he was played all that much in Modern. Not since Jund was #1, I don't think.

I mean, Huntmaster is $14 after the spike. Let's not get crazy.

ElyrionX

I own all of these cards that have been spiking but it's still ridiculous that this is happening and how easily the market is manipulated.

The only question is whether Snap is gonna go to the moon or I should start trading for legacy staples. Ones that won't get reprinted every 3 years, anyway.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167307542]The only question is whether Snap is gonna go to the moon or I should start trading for legacy staples. Ones that won't get reprinted every 3 years, anyway.[/QUOTE]

If goyf can hit $200 then I don't see why Snap can't.

Matriox

Just wanted to say that I got these in and they're great! Thanks again! I absolutely love the feel and shuffle with them but they are noticeably less transparent than their Hyper Matte counterparts and I'm not sure how much that would bother me over time. I think I'll give these a go at the first Origins prerelease to see how I like them in action.

Yeah I know they said they would be less transparent so they would have less glare but it seemed a little darker than I'm used to. I double sleeved my edh deck with them and the transparency didn't bug me at all, but yeah the shuffle and feel are top notch. I still haven't tried those Dragon Shield Matte sleeves yet though. Enjoy man!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167313358]
He murderous cut my Stormtide Leviathan[/QUOTE]

What a dick.

bigkrev

If I were a speculating man, I'd be looking at the Lorwyn era Merfolk cards right now. It's a fringe playable Modern deck as well as a Legacy deck, and the fact that they weren't reprinted in MM2 makes me think it's going to be a long time before they ever get back in print. Cursecatcher can be had for under 8 bucks right now, while he was a 10-15 dollar card most of last year.

Gurrry

I have a quick question:

I was playing against someone last night and they played a card that allows them to check the top card of their library when ever I cast a spell, if the card they revealed this way had a cmc = to the spell i played, it counters that spell.

Does anyone know what the name of the card is? I cant find it online.

With this card I was wondering that if I played gods willing to protect my creature from the color he revealed, would he still be able to counter it?

bigkrev

I have a quick question:

I was playing against someone last night and they played a card that allows them to check the top card of their library when ever I cast a spell, if the card they revealed this way had a cmc = to the spell i played, it counters that spell.

Does anyone know what the name of the card is? I cant find it online.

With this card I was wondering that if I played gods willing to protect my creature from the color he revealed, would he still be able to counter it?

Counterbalance

And for your second question, God's Willing can only target a creature that is already in play. The countering effect happens while the spell is still on the stack, and has not yet resolved and entered the battlefield.

Gurrry

Counterbalance

And for your second question, God's Willing can only target a creature that is already in play. The countering effect happens while the spell is still on the stack, and has not yet resolved and entered the battlefield.

Ok so basically I had a creature out there already. My turn came back around, i played retraction helix on said creature, then he revealed the top card to counter the retraction helix, in response I played gods willing on him.

It probably still goes in his favor, but it was an interesting counter balance of rules. (Pun definitely intended).

bigkrev

Ok so basically I had a creature out there already. My turn came back around, i played retraction helix on said creature, then he revealed the top card to counter the retraction helix, in response I played gods willing on him.

It probably still goes in his favor, but it was an interesting counter balance of rules. (Pun definitely intended).

That is not how it works either- protection can only effect a permanent that has already resolved. In this case, the Retraction Helix has not resolved yet. The only time you can protect a card from a counter effect is by using an effect that prevents the spell from being countered, such as Boseiju, Who Shelters All.

Also, even if that did work, they would just counter your God's Willing by revealing the same 1 mana spell on top of their deck that they revealed to counter your Retraction Helix, because both Gods Willing and Retraction Helix cost 1 :)

Gurrry

That is not how it works either- protection can only effect a permanent that has already resolved. In this case, the Retraction Helix has not resolved yet. The only time you can protect a card from a counter effect is by using an effect that prevents the spell from being countered, such as Boseiju, Who Shelters All.

Also, even if that did work, they would just counter your God's Willing by revealing the same 1 mana spell on top of their deck that they revealed to counter your Retraction Helix, because both Gods Willing and Retraction Helix cost 1 :)

True, i forgot that they were both one drops.

Either way, fuck counter decks! Lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
True but now I want context lol

Ah, my bad. I'm mostly commenting on the way people have figured out how to manipulate the market based on WotC's reprinting policies and trends. But between the sudden influx of spikes and GoyfGate, it's just been a really weird couple of weeks for Magic.

OnPoint

Ah, my bad. I'm mostly commenting on the way people have figured out how to manipulate the market based on WotC's reprinting policies and trends. But between the sudden influx of spikes and GoyfGate, it's just been a really weird couple of weeks for Magic.

It really has been. It's getting to the point where I'm questioning even bothering to resume buying cards after my self-imposed July no-card-buy limit due to the price spikes. People really have figured out how to manipulate the market in an unreal way.

ElyrionX

It really has been. It's getting to the point where I'm questioning even bothering to resume buying cards after my self-imposed July no-card-buy limit due to the price spikes. People really have figured out how to manipulate the market in an unreal way.

"Figured out"? This stuff isn't hard at all. It only requires a moderate amount of capital and time. Even I could do it if I had the time and energy for it.

bigkrev

It's always been possible to spike cards with buyouts. It's just now that we have things like TCGplayer, it's pretty easy to buy a large percentage of the copies on the internet in a very small amount of time.

OnPoint

It's always been possible but it seems that it's increasing in frequency. How long before the market starts to take damage because speculators buy up everything of note and drive the prices too high?

WanderingWind

Wizards really will need to try again with opening their own storefront. It failed in the late 90s (early aughts?) but it's a different world now. If they got back into the game, they could soft regulate the prices themselves. The reasoning they don't want to do it seems clear that they don't want to run the little LGS in Boise out of business, but if this trend continues, that could happen regardless.

We've seen this before in all sorts of industries. If CFB, SCG and TCG wield too much power, the only shops that will be able to compete will be ones that buy directly from them, or end up as satellite brick-and-mortar stores of them. It's sort of happening already.

I don't believe CFB when they say the overnight 20 dollar jump on things like Blood Moon are natural occurrences. It's just a low end commodity that is easily manipulated by collusion and isn't pricey enough to draw much attention outside of the community.

bigkrev

I remember back in 2003 or 4 when Alpha rare prices started to spike, because people were preforming buyouts. The difference was that the process was a bit slower due to the online shopping realities of the time, and that there weren't services monitoring prices like MTGPrice, so people didn't realize it at first.

WanderingWind

I'm also semi-annoyed on a personal level, as I really wanted a playset of Huntmasters. I refuse to buy them now, as to not feed into the manufactured spike.

kirblar

Wizards really will need to try again with opening their own storefront. It failed in the late 90s (early aughts?) but it's a different world now. If they got back into the game, they could soft regulate the prices themselves. The reasoning they don't want to do it seems clear that they don't want to run the little LGS in Boise out of business, but if this trend continues, that could happen regardless.

We've seen this before in all sorts of industries. If CFB, SCG and TCG wield too much power, the only shops that will be able to compete will be ones that buy directly from them, or end up as satellite brick-and-mortar stores of them. It's sort of happening already.

I don't believe CFB when they say the overnight 20 dollar jump on things like Blood Moon are natural occurrences. It's just a low end commodity that is easily manipulated by collusion and isn't pricey enough to draw much attention outside of the community.
Why on earth do you think a retail storefront could regulate prices?

The issue is that people have the capital to buy out stock. SCG did it forever, and these recent buyouts are likely one of the large vendors at work, not private individuals.

ElyrionX

The issue is that people have the capital to buy out stock. SCG did it forever, and these recent buyouts are likely one of the large vendors at work, not private individuals.

Umm. A site that sells unlimited copies of a card at a predetermined price would be absolutely effective at limiting price spikes. They don't even have to do this for all cards, just the ones that got bought out overnight.

bigkrev

Umm. A site that sells unlimited copies of a card at a predetermined price would be absolutely effective at limiting price spikes. They don't even have to do this for all cards, just the ones that got bought out overnight.

Setting aside how insane that idea is, how do you even do this logistically? It's not like there is any real way to predict what cards get bought out- remember how GHOSTWAY had a buyout earlier this year? They can't just overnight decided they want to print 1000 copies of a card and have it done tommorrow.

WanderingWind

You probably should have just thought about that one for a second more, kirbs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It would also implode the collectible market for the entire game. There's a 0% chance of that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom