• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, just to be clear, there is an entire universe of canyons between having a product selling directly from the business to the consumer and the printing of unlimited product. I hope nobody seriously thinks I was suggesting they print unlimited amounts of product.

OnPoint

There's no way to regulate this without crashing the market other than making sure to reprint staples after they spike. I'm not against them reprinting them in Duel Decks, or doing more Event Decks.

Matriox

Okay, just to be clear, there is an entire universe of canyons between having a product selling directly from the business to the consumer and the printing of unlimited product. I hope nobody seriously thinks I was suggesting they print unlimited amounts of product.

I could have swore that said Crayons and I had no idea what was going on. I think I should be allowed to go home from work now.

Jhriad

The cards spiking are:

Blood Moon
Deceiver Exarch
Oblivion Stone
Huntmaster
Olivia
Snapcaster

Those are the ones I can think of, not sure what was or wasn't a buyout.

Snapcaster wasn't a buyout though. That's just constant silly demand because of a perceived lack of a reprint in the near term. Not sure about Olivia as I wasn't paying attention to that card. Pretty sure there was another one recently but my sleep deprived brain isn't able to remember atm. Heritage Druid was another spike though I'm not sure what level of market manipulation there was there.

Just noticed the spikes on Engineered Explosives and Blackcleave Cliffs.

Yeah, Snaps went up because every single magic site was like, "whoa, snaps are going up!" So everybody that wanted Snaps for modern PPTQs or whatever bought them all at once so we got a 20 dollar increase.

Ash Zealot unfortunately not reaping any of the benefits.

kirblar

Umm. A site that sells unlimited copies of a card at a predetermined price would be absolutely effective at limiting price spikes. They don't even have to do this for all cards, just the ones that got bought out overnight.

You probably should have just thought about that one for a second more, kirbs.
*theythoughtthewealthwouldtrickledown.gif*

They like their current model. It isn't changing (and as consumers, it would likely be a net negative for it to alter.)

This is related to GP foils getting killed off btw- they can't be doing the cards = cash thing on their end in a direct 1:1 manner or it raises major problems.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't figure out whether Huntmaster or Olivia is actually better. I think Huntmaster is generically better, but when Olivia is good, she's just backbreaking.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is basically it. Olivia's much more niche but is absurd in those matchups.

I have Olivia in the board, but I honestly liked her in the main better. She isn't a bad main board card at all.

Angry Grimace

Man I whiffed so hard on Collected Company.
KuGsj.gif

Its really funny to me that Elves is making a Modern comeback.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167402030]I still believe it'll eventually go below 20.[/QUOTE]

I pray you are right. I want to buy at least 4.

I had an Esper Stoneblade list that I liked but I lost it.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-esper-stoneblade-19593#paper

Maybe I'll just play that for a while on Cockatrice. People asking for strong decks keep kicking me out when I win one game with Reanimator and it's starting to annoy me. Don't ask for top tier decks then kick people out for playing combo, makes no sense.

I'd play Reanimator in real life but the only deck I can actually afford that I like to play is Miracles because it's mostly fetches and basics.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167440114]Maybe I'll just play that for a while on Cockatrice. People asking for strong decks keep kicking me out when I win one game with Reanimator and it's starting to annoy me. Don't ask for top tier decks then kick people out for playing combo, makes no sense.

I'd play Reanimator in real life but the only deck I can actually afford that I like to play is Miracles because it's mostly fetches and basics.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda silly, Miracles is a way more annoying deck to play against than Reanimator. At least with the latter it's over fairly quickly.

I'm down to play on Cockatrice with pretty much whatever deck, hit me up sometime. Name same as here.

WanderingWind

This is why we really should form a play test group on MTGO. Like, a legit one. We're all in the guild or whatever, but we lack discipline.

So Kaladesh (Chandra's home plane) is actually filled with Indians (South Asian), it's just that the art in the Uncharted Realms story happens to not reflect this
Hi Doug, many players have noticed that the names of people and places on Kaladesh are rather obviously inspired by Southeast Asian names. Yet none of the principal characters in this week's UR looked southeast Asian. Why was this choice made?
Anonymous

I think you’ll see soon, once Magic Origins previews begin in earnest (starting June 22), that Kaladesh is a diverse plane with many ethnicities – including, prominently, many humans who look Indian. Chandra has been repeatedly illustrated as a light-skinned person with red hair, and we didn’t try to change that about her when showing her childhood. But many of the illustrations published with Chandra’s origin story focus on light-skinned Chandra, so I get that Kaladesh probably looks whiter than we intend from what you’ve seen so far. Valid. Give us a couple weeks for more previews and more art to be revealed? In the meantime, my askbox is open if you all have more comments on this.

Also, I'm guessing this will make some people happy.
asahshi asked: So Intimidate, Landwalk, and Protection are all gone, and you've talked on the issues with Regenerate and how you're looking for a replacement for it. After all of them, if you had to pick, which evergreen keyword is the next most likely to be retired someday?

Hexproof is probably the next most at risk of being replaced.

It's interesting that the evergreen article stated that they changed Shroud to Hexproof because Shroud was "too confusing," but Hexproof is now widely regarded as "bullshit."

Toxi

Banned
If that's the worst example you can think of, it only supports my point. Algae Gharial is 4 mana, has no evasion and can't easily receive evasion, and has a fixed growth rate. Even when it has 100 power, it will never feel completely hopeless because you can toss chumps in front of it.

Now imagine it with Hexproof instead.

Yeef

If that's the worst example you can think of, it only supports my point. Algae Gharial is 4 mana, has no evasion and can't easily receive evasion, and has a fixed growth rate.

Now imagine it with Hexproof instead.
There's already a hexproof version:

66.jpg

My post was more a dig at MM2 limited than shroud. Algae Gharial, which would be fine in most formats, is busted there. There's so many sacrifice effects (11 at common alone) and only two cards in the whole set that deal with it (Savage Twister and All is Dust) that if it comes down on curve it's virtually impossible to beat. Lack of deathtouch creatures and edict effects mean that it can just get bigger and bigger and there's nothing you can do about it.

Toxi

Banned
There's already a hexproof version:

My post was more a dig at MM2 limited than shroud. Algae Gharial, which would be fine in most formats, is busted there. There's so many sacrifice effects (11 at common alone) and only two cards in the whole set that deal with it (Savage Twister and All is Dust) that if it comes down on curve it's virtually impossible to beat. Lack of deathtouch creatures and edict effects mean that it can just get bigger and bigger and there's nothing you can do about it.
Oh dang, didn't know about that.

I've not touched MM2 limited because of the ridiculous price for drafting.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167467581]We're running the gauntlet through every format right now, but I think this is already my highlight for the night:

Because sometimes your only out in Vintage is hardcasting Blightsteel Colossus through Blood Moon.[/QUOTE]

Some fun, tight games tonight. I look forward to more opportunities to show off my modern Unburial Rhino deck.

Crocodile

Aside from "I lost to Boggles once and I felt sad" or "I still feel salty about Invisible Stalker even though its a clear mistake that hasn't been repeated since" I don't know why anybody would want Shroud back. In a world where creatures and creature combat is more important than ever and control decks no longer fall to one random "hard to deal with" dude, Shroud is a negative mechanic more often then not. Algea Gharial would be an offensively bad card if MM2 was designed like any modern limited format, Cube, was in a casual context or whatever. I agree Hexproof is a mechanic, like many others, that WOTC has to be careful with but considering they have been careful with it for the past however many years I feel people can cool it with the whining.

WanderingWind

Aside from "I lost to Boggles once and I felt sad" or "I still feel salty about Invisible Stalker even though its a clear mistake that hasn't been repeated since" I don't know why anybody would want Shroud back. In a world where creatures and creature combat is more important than ever and control decks no longer fall to one random "hard to deal with" dude, Shroud is a negative mechanic more often then not. Algea Gharial would be an offensively bad card if MM2 was designed like any modern limited format, Cube, was in a casual context or whatever. I agree Hexproof is a mechanic, like many others, that WOTC has to be careful with but considering they have been careful with it for the past however many years I feel people can cool it with the whining.

I sort of feel the same way, but less intense. I don't particularly find hexproof to be annoying, save for the fact that it just shouldn't exist in blue whatsoever. Instead of getting rid of hexproof, I don't see why they don't try moving it completely out of blue and making some decent edicts in any set with hexproof as a feature. If they just don't make hexproof as something that can't be dealt with, it's not all that annoying. But having it a color that lives to drop a creature and then counter anything you throw at it and having no real spells to answer it is where it gets annoying.

I think hexproof is sort of necessary in green as a way to avoid "Tap 2, kill your 6 mana creature." Green lives off of big creatures, pump spells and auras. If you take those tools away, what's the point of green in a world where white, red, black and blue has cheap creature removal and green just doesn't?

To be honest, if they made cheap, efficient indestructable creatures in blue, in a set with no exile effects and suddenly made it a blue keyword, well, that would also be an issue. Hell, maybe even more so since wipes don't affect those. But since indestructable is almost always on an expensive, unplayable white creature, its never really been a problem. (That I can think of right this second).

Here's the thing, though. I really hate it when people kill my creatures, and I love having a giant creature that wins games automatically.

So hexproof is great. I want more 9-drops with hexproof, though.

WanderingWind

Just give us a 3 CMC uncounterable edict and all the bitching about hexproof would go away forever.

Is that really too much to ask???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom