• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

CII_csCVAAACuX1.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
....that art is so, so bad. Good god.

(A 2/2 flying for 3 CMC is playable regardless of its other abilities, but I doubt you'll ever see it do anything useful)

#notallheroes

Jhriad

If I cast Languish with Ojutai Exemplars out and I choose it's flicker ability it comes back into play before Languish resolves right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I cast Languish with Ojutai Exemplars out and I choose it's flicker ability it comes back into play before Languish resolves right?

Exemplar's self-exile ability is a single action, so the only thing it dodges are things that are explicitly targeting it. Stuff can't actually occur in the middle of it resolving so its never going to not be on the battlefield for something.

Here, Languish goes on the stack, then Exemplar's ability triggers, which is put on the stack on top of Languish, then resolves first.

Toxi

Banned
RG remains pretty unaffected by Languish with the exception that it hurts them a turn earlier. At that point, the opponent also has no creatures and is tapped out. A perfect time to play that Avaricious Dragon.
Going into top-deck mode after a board-wipe seems like a terrible idea.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Going into top-deck mode after a board-wipe seems like a terrible idea.
I just meant that as a mono red/RG deck, a turn 4 sweeper is going to leave you rather shorthanded ie 1-3 cards left. Depending on what they were, the dragon is your best bet to get there instead of a thunderbreak and some random 1 drop.

My attitude on preorders for ORI is that I will not get in on basically anything until we see if there's a land-cycle in this set.

There's ten nonbasic land slots, so there's almost certainly a dual land cycle.

Is draw-go dominating today's standards? I don't get these complaints.

There's the complaint that blue control decks that do exist the last few year lean too heavily towards draw-go (which I agree with) and the complaint that all the other poor innocent decks are getting hated out by mean ol' blue control (which is crazy-go-nuts.)

Bounding Krasis 1UG (Uncommon)
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may tap or untap target creature.
3/3

Sweet card. Great for Limited, and it at least merits discussion in Modern Temur Twin, although I imagine Pestermite's evasion, Exarch's protection from Lightning Bolt, and the fact that this can't hit lands means that it won't actually see play. Smashing for 3 could definitely be relevant though.

duxstar

I just exploded on a friend tonight ........ basically we went to denny's after modern and he was playing his brother's maelstrom wanderer deck. It literally went from a Food Chain and NOTHING else on the board, into his entire deck spewed onto the board (Maelstrom into Boundless Realms) and he took 20 minutes on his turn, at the END of someone elses turn, found a Temporal Mastery a Prophet of Kruphix Took an extra turn and I just blew up and told him this is the reason no one wants to play EDH against his brother, because for 20 minutes 2 of us just sat there doing nothing, while he "didn't combo out but his deck has amazing synergy".

I'm literally sick of fucking Prophet of Kruphix and the whole Double Cascade thing, the worst part is when I look up how to beat Maelstrom all i get is "tuck the commander" which is fucking not even a viable option anymore. I'm just super pissed, and want to build a complete anti-maelstrom wanderer deck and have no clue how. He kept trying to rationalize it by saying "but if i pay 16 mana I should win the game because that's how Malestrom costs now", which is a total bullshit excuse.

I might just create a new self rule, and never play against anyone running prophet of kruphix, or food chain again, I dont feel like spending 1000 bux on an EDH control deck either.

Anyone have any idea's, I'm fucking done with it, so much so that I thought about ripping up his modern cards he let me borrow.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169476338]Learning to control your frustration is one idea. The second is playing Meddling Mage.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't actually do it, but i was so pissed the thought came across my mind, it wasn't the fact that it's a maelstrom deck, it was that he tried to justify it being "fun" because he was going off and we should have fun watching him, sitting there for 20 minutes is not my idea of fun.

It's weird, but I have two phallic similies for Magic. The first is obvious: EDH is like getting everyone in a room together and jacking off. The first one to finish first usually wins and everyone has to wait around and watch them jerk around like a ninny til they're done. This is what you are experiencing. No one wants to watch a dude turbo-jack at the end of everyone's turn every turn.

The second simile is that talking about your draft deck is like talking about your penis. Literally no one wants to hear about it, but you think it's the most interesting thing in the world. And if someone gives you an opening, you're off to the races and no one is likely to be able to stop you until you're done.

I think this comes from the fact that with a constructed deck, people can recreate your deck and circumstances. With a draft deck, you can only sit there and listen, cause the magical moment surrounding this deck is done and gone.

Rule of Law effects stop Maelstrom Wanderer pretty hard, as do Meddling Mage and Nevermore style cards, but there's not much you can do to it outside of that. The card was designed to be a free three-for-one and is basically always going to get the job done. Wanderer has probably the strongest end-game in all of EDH; it should almost certainly be considered the biggest threat at most tables and be pre-emptively attacked. Most Wanderer decks have an anemic early game and can't survive early aggression; if the table just hammers on them, they'll die before they catch back up off of their commander.

Regarding Prophet: I've never seen an unanswered Prophet of Kruphix not win a game of EDH. It's a sweet design for a card, but I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been banned at this point. I obviously play it in all of my UG decks; it'd be stupid not to because the card is stupidly powerful. I also completely understand when playing it immediately draws the wrath of the table, because it should.

EDH is an arms race of doing degenerate, powerful things. You don't have to play infinite combos, but your deck should be attempting to quickly and powerfully advance its game plan turn after turn.

There's also no real reason to "play it out" in EDH when someone assembles a game-winning or near-game-winning combo. As soon as a Food Chain hits for a Maelstrom Wanderer deck, you should just ask the table "do you have an answer?" If no, say "good game" and scoop 'em up. Sure, maybe there's a 2% chance he bottoms out, but there's a 98% chance that you're gonna be pissed off after making him go through the motions for 20 minutes, so just scoop it up and move on.

Toxi

Banned
How to build a good commander deck

Grab all the best Green ramp and creature shit

Grab all the best Blue draw and combo shit

Smush them together

Add another color if you're feeling adventurous

Congratulations, you are now a master at EDH

How to build a good commander deck

Grab all the best Green ramp and creature shit

Grab all the best Blue draw and combo shit

Smush them together

Add another color if you're feeling adventurous

Congratulations, you are now a master at EDH

The format is actually way more interesting than that, but the deck you describe will crush 90% of brews that newcomers come up with.

Just don't play commander.

Just about all I play now is Commander but sometimes the answer is still Don't Play Commander. No matter what type of meta you prefer you need to be willing to refuse to play with people if you want to have fun with the format.

e:

The format is actually way more interesting than that, but the deck you describe will crush 90% of brews that newcomers come up with.

The format is precisely as interesting as the group that you play with. Sometimes that's pretty interesting. Sometimes that's pretty depressing.

Toxi

Banned
I play commander, I've seen a wonderful variety of decks. I'm just so sick of UG goodstuff what seems like every game. It's not even that the deck is strong (Mono-black control actually counters it pretty harshly in my experience, and fast decks in general give it hell), it's that it's so prevalent and samey and the moment you let it do its thing you're stuck with a guy playing Prophet of Kruphix with tons of card draw and land ramp.

Also, people are way too antsy about early aggression in EDH. No, I'm not the biggest threat at a table just because I'm smacking people with a big creature while they're still ramping up.

The format is precisely as interesting as the group that you play with. Sometimes that's pretty interesting. Sometimes that's pretty depressing.

A point well made.

I play commander, I've seen a wonderful variety of decks. I'm just so sick of UG goodstuff what seems like every game. It's not even that the deck is strong (Mono-black control actually counters it pretty harshly in my experience, and fast decks in general give it hell), it's that it's so prevalent and samey and the moment you let it do its thing you're stuck with a guy playing Prophet of Kruphix with tons of card draw and land ramp.

It was the first Commander deck I built (Primer Speaker Zegana)! I stuck a Prophet of Kruphix in it because I had picked one up in a draft and thought it was sweet. I didn't actually know what I was doing, and it wasn't until I had won the first three games of Commander I'd ever played that I really understood just how powerful the deck I had assembled was. It just seemed like the easiest deck to start with, and it's still the deck I own with the best win rate. I really only bust it out now when my playgroup is playing their best decks.

I have a couple of others: a Melek, Izzet Paragon deck that's really just an excuse to play some of my favorite cards of all time (Mind's Desire, Epic Experiment, Dragonstorm, Past in Flames, Dream Halls), and a Grenzo, Dungeon Warden deck that I threw together recently because I wanted a third. Melek is actually my favorite; the problem is that the deck isn't actually that good. :)

EDH is awesome. I have a deck in literally every possible color combination, and they're all varying levels of fun.

Prophet does need to be banned, though.

Thinking of getting back into Magic but I have no one to play with so I'm left with one option. What's the current state of Magic Online? Worth it for someone who just wants to play Standard?

gerg

I understand how the set's mechanical design would have suffered as a result of a last-minute change of plan, but is there a specific reason this would have affected the art as well? Were all the usual artists busy by the time they commissioned the work?

Matriox

Thinking of getting back into Magic but I have no one to play with so I'm left with one option. What's the current state of Magic Online? Worth it for someone who just wants to play Standard?

Lol I was just hopping in here to talk about mtgo. I've drafted 2 phantom events without a hitch for what it's worth, but I literally played my first few games today.

So I've been forced to play red green both phantom drafts ive done.. I get to game 3 vs my opponent in the last round, he gets me to 1 life after countering and drawing his whole library. He's got 1 card left in library, 3 creatures in play including a carp, Jeskai sage, and some other small critter. My creatures in play are both tapped and won't untap due to that delve card, but they're a Temur sabre tooth and the red megamorph dragon with first strike... His eot I bounce my first strike dragon, play it again hoping I can draw some sort of answer. I get a land, drop the dragon and pass, he proceeds to draw his last card and full swing... He loses due to first strike against Jeskai sage :D

EDH is awesome. I have a deck in literally every possible color combination, and they're all varying levels of fun.

Prophet does need to be banned, though.

You have around 30 Commander decks? That's damned impressive. Do you have 4-color decks with Nephilim generals too?

Matriox

CILpl7yUkAAKH3_.jpg

Nissa's Pilgrimage 2G
Sorcery
Search your library for up to two basic forests and reveal them, then put one onto the battlefield tapped and put the rest into your hand. Then shuffle your library
Spell Mastery - if there are two or more instant and or/sorcery cards in your graveyard, you may search for up to 3 basic forests instead.

OnPoint

Anti-Maelstrom Wanderer tech

- Rule of Law/Nevermore/Meddling Mage (as mentioned before)
- Curse of Exhaustion
- Hushwing Gryff
- Torpor Orb
- Silence + Isochron Scepter
- Artifact destruction
- Land destruction

CILpl7yUkAAKH3_.jpg

Nissa's Pilgrimage 2G
Sorcery
Search your library for up to two basic forests and reveal them, then put one onto the battlefield tapped and put the rest into your hand. Then shuffle your library
Spell Mastery - if there are two or more instant and or/sorcery cards in your graveyard, you may search for up to 3 basic forests instead.

There it is.

You have around 30 Commander decks? That's damned impressive. Do you have 4-color decks with Nephilim generals too?

It's not that impressive - they're all in Magic Online. (So no nephilim.) I just love building decks. It is hard to keep them all up to date.

Currently have built:

Colorless
Karn (mono artifact good stuff)
Karn (myr tribal)

W
8 1/2 Tails (creature based control)
Avacyn (angel tribal)

U
Braids (blue monster ramp)
Talrand (spell heavy control with very few counters)
Ixidor (morph)
Thassa (aggro control/voltron)

B
(paper) Maga (MBC) - haven't had the heart to build this online yet, it seems.

R
Adamaro (group slug/burn)

G
Azusa (rude awakening, et al.)
Ezuri (elf tribal)
Kamahl (tokens)

WU
Kangee (bird tribal)
Brago (flicker/ETB themed)
Sigg (merfolk tribal)

UB
Grimgrin (reanimation/good stuff)
Wrexial (mill/reanimation)

BR
Kolaghan (dragon tribal)
Lyzolda (sacrificing creatures themed)

RG
Ruric Thar (just creatures and land)

GW
Karametra (enchantress)
Karametra (landfall themed)
Sisay ('legend' tribal)
Sigarda (GW control)
Trostani (tokens)

WB
Atheros (orzhov good stuff)

UR
Melek (stuff that wants to be played off a fat Epic Experiment)
Nin (clones and forks)

BG
Skullbriar (creature recursion/value/good stuff)
Varolz (Scavenge themed)

RW
Aurelia (Boros-themed good stuff)

GU
Zegana (+1/+1 counter themed)
Edric ('fair' good stuff - dumb non-counter Simic fun)

GWU
I appear to have no deck in this combination

WUB
Sydri (Esper artifacts - used to be a Sharuum deck)

UBR
Garza Zol ('creatures with tap effects' themed)
Marchesa (+1/+1 counters/creature recursion)
Nekusar (every Underworld Dreams variant and mass draw spell ever printed)

BRG
Shattergang Brothers (sacrifice themed - lots of dual typed permanents)

RGW
Mayael ('5+ power' themed)
Uril (enchantress)

BGW
Ghave (tokens, duh)
Doran (Doran themed, what else?)

WBR
Tariel (sacrifice/reanimate themed)

GUB
Mimeoplasm (legend themed)

RWU
Ruhan (pillow fort)

UGR
Maelstrom Wanderer (Fun but fair)

WUBRG
Cromat (good stuff)
Progenitus (Dragon's Maze themed)
Child of Alara (modal spell themed)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Y'all get fancy with your EDH decks. I have a zombie one that I pulled out all the good zombies from, an angel one that I pulled all the good angels out of and a goblin one that is intact because goblins in every format now suck.

Hero

As someone who plays Wanderer EDH you need to take them out before they hit 8 mana and start 3 for 1 ing you. Taxing spells and rule of law or Ethersworn Canonist are good choices against the deck. At the same time I don't know why you would let someone take a 20 minute turn and not just scoop.

Firemind

I understand how the set's mechanical design would have suffered as a result of a last-minute change of plan, but is there a specific reason this would have affected the art as well? Were all the usual artists busy by the time they commissioned the work?
To promote digital products, basically. Why commission art when you can just pull it, shoddy models, lighting and all, from your digital game's assets?

If it were up to me, I'd commission Rebecca Guay to do the art for an entire set. Shit, I'd have built a Rebecca Guay themed EDH deck long ago if her cards weren't mostly terrible.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Every Blue/Green/X commander deck ever plays the exact same every game.

Not mine. I play U/G/R Intet and although I have Prophet in there its not about getting off some stupid combo, its just about ramping into and cheating out large monsters. My friend is the one who has the U/G Master Biomancer deck

Wichu

Is magiccardmarket.eu trustworthy? :
I want order a few singles things but I'm kind of afraid.
Yeah, it's basically the European TCGPlayer (especially if you stick to established sellers). I've ordered from there tons and haven't had any issues.
en_pPIv8rZe4J.png

It's a Theros card that's also an Opalesence/Replenish throwback. Neat.
I want this card just for the art. Also it looks like a fun deck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom