• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Hey man I don't fucking know. Not often do people say "tears of ____" and not mean tears of joy but since piss is usually a bad thing I got thrown off :/

Those lands getting reprinted would be great for Peasant Cubes at least

That was what made it funny to me lol They probably would be good for a few reasons but I don't see them getting printed in the same standard as the fetches. I could be wrong though.

People want them because they're played in eternal formats. That's not a good enough reason to reprint them though. Personally, I don't think they belong in standard since their effects are too powerful. They're basically more powerful Mutavaults. They should have printed them in MM2015.

Definitely should be in MM2015, but it all depends on what kind of Standard they're trying to build. Also remember they're going to rotate out faster.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169810157]I can't believe I didn't see it before.

243 - Ancient Tomb
244 - Battlefield Forge R
245 - Caves of Koilos R
246 - Karakas
247 - Library of Alexandria
248 - Llanowar Wastes R
249 - Mishra's Workshop
250 - Rishadan Port
251 - Shivan Reef R
252 - Yavimaya Coast R

ORI redeemed.[/QUOTE]

Replace Library with City of Traitors and I'm down.

Its gonna be garbage for limited fixing like Unknown Shores or something or a Mana Confluence reprint.

CIXHuaxUsAA_YZu.jpg

Who doesn't love more garbage

Holy ****, it's one of the You Make the Card choices! One that I voted for, at that.

ultron87

So you Pharika a creature from their graveyard to give them an Enchantment token, use up 3 choices, then Daring Thief or Shifting Loyalties it to give it to them. Nothing can go wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Demonic Pact isn't the flavor, its the fact that a Mythic Rare with "you lose the game" as text on it should have flashier effects than Divination or Mind Rot.

This should be a rare like Waste Not was...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The problem with Demonic Pact isn't the flavor, its the fact that a Mythic Rare with "you lose the game" as text on it should have flashier effects than Divination or Mind Rot.

There is plenty of flavor justification to make this a mythic.

The problem, from my viewpoint, is all the decks that I might be able to abuse the Demonic Pact in are UW. It's a 100% Johnny card, but it's not a good one.

Firemind

Should have built in Yawgmoth's Will, Hymn to Tourach and Sinkhole.

Going by the theme of the rest of the set:

At the beginning of each upkeep, choose one that hasn't been chosen:
  • Each player loses 1 life.
  • Each player, discards a card.
  • Each player sacrifices a creature.
  • Each player sacrifices a land.
  • You lose the game.

ultron87

Okay, you play Esper Constellation with Nyx Starfield then you can give them Demonic Pact for any creature with the swap effects or force them to kill it because it is attacking them for four. Or bounce it back to your hand and replay it! Yeah! Nothing will go wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This card will have value for the novelty alone. Its a really cool card. Personally think its way stronger than some folks in here think it is.

No, this is a bulk mythic. This will be worth less than $2 within a month of release.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Okay, you play Esper Constellation with Nyx Starfield then you can give them Demonic Pact for any creature with the swap effects or force them to kill it because it is attacking them for four. Or bounce it back to your hand and replay it! Yeah! Nothing will go wrong.

Think it would just be easier to use Pharika to give them an enchantment and then swap with Shifting Loyalties lol.

No, this is a bulk mythic. This will be worth less than $2 within a month of release.

Even if it was who cares? There are bulk mythics in every set.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169813823]All I know is that the perplexingchimeradaringthief.dec mirror match just got even more convoluted.[/QUOTE]

Worst Fears is the mirror breaker.

Angry Grimace

Think it would just be easier to use Pharika to give them an enchantment and then swap with Shifting Loyalties lol.

Even if it was who cares? There are bulk mythics in every set.

To reiterate, unplayable mythics that expressly make you lose should do something flashier and cooler to appeal to Johnnies and Timmies.

How can Lilly make that pact and not die?

Another case of flavour fail.

That's the flavor part that's good. People who look at this card are discussing ways to get the beneficial parts and then get out of the game loss trigger somehow, because the card's kind of shit if you can't. That is basically Liliana Vess.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169810157]I can't believe I didn't see it before.

243 - Ancient Tomb
244 - Battlefield Forge R
245 - Caves of Koilos R
246 - Karakas
247 - Library of Alexandria
248 - Llanowar Wastes R
249 - Mishra's Workshop
250 - Rishadan Port
251 - Shivan Reef R
252 - Yavimaya Coast R

ORI redeemed.[/QUOTE]

Would instantly buy a case, I want a karakas so bad but not enough to spend $150 on it lol

red13th

What an underwhelming 1st week of spoilers. If that's what we were meant to be excited about I'm worried about that set, MM15 level worried.

Angry Grimace

Lol it doesn't fit the crunch anyways. I was bad at alphabet there.

Oh God Mirage Fetches fit.

$_35.JPG

These would be literally worse than Evolving Wilds. I mean, I guess they can fetch dules in Modern, but lol there

Angry Grimace

What an underwhelming 1st week of spoilers. If that's what we were meant to be excited about I'm worried about that set, MM15 level worried.

So far if you like current standard, you're good. The only thing I can see anyone even wanting so far is flipwalkers or the cheapo mythics for the kitchen table stuff.

Yeef

Whatever the remaining lands are, they'll probably be uncommon. I can't remember the last time they printed more than 5 rare color-fixing lands in a single set.

Also, I want to live the dream and draft a blue-black demonic pact deck with like 4 or 5 Disperses.

ultron87

In some late draft in the format I totally want to try and draft like 12 Faerie Miscreants. At some point there have to be enough in your deck for it to be good, lol.

I like Demonic Pact. It's fun and not broken, and that's what Magic is all about.

On another note, I'm really sad that I saw what WotC squandered when I spotted a fake card along the lines of this:

Sultai Hatcher (G)
Creature - Naga Shaman
T: Put the top card of your deck into your graveyard. Add U or B to your mana pool.
0/1

Would have been a pretty good tool for Sultai....

Yeef

I like Demonic Pact. It's fun and not broken, and that's what Magic is all about.

On another note, I'm really sad that I saw what WotC squandered when I spotted a fake card along the lines of this:

Sultai Hatcher (G)
Creature - Naga Shaman
T: Put the top card of your deck into your graveyard. Add U or B to your mana pool.
0/1

Would have been a pretty good tool for Sultai....
A 1-drop that taps for 2 mana would certainly be a good tool.

Turn 1, Sultai Hatcher
Turn 2, Satyr Wayfinder, Tasigur

Seems fair.

ultron87

So just to clarify, no matter what you lose the game in 4 turns (1 v1) with this card, right? Unless you can remove it?

Basically yes. On your fourth upkeep you'd have to pick "lose the game". So you should probably win or do something about the Pact before that happens. Or cast Angel's Grace in response.

Angry Grimace

?!?!!!? Those can fetch duals they'd be an interesting addition to modern. I can't see them being anything more than uncommon nowadays anyway.
Do you know what else can fetch duals? The regular fetchland cycle that doesn't come into play tapped.

OnPoint

That card takes a lot more work than ancestral. It was quite the card though. But this is almost exactly the same card.

It was so much like Ancestral they had to ban it in both major eternal formats and restrict it in Vintage, just like Ancestral. Yes it takes more work, but even with that it was STILL almost as good.

This will not only be legal, but it might not see that much play at all.

Angry Grimace

Drawing 7 cards in my 2nd main phase when I have no cards in hand is totally worth a turn ending.

That card takes a lot more work than ancestral. It was quite the card though. But this is almost exactly the same card.

Timetwister is an overrated effect to begin with and its not even good when your opponent gets to use the 7 new cards they have before you do. Treasure Cruise is a better card by any reasonable metric. But in most reasonable decks Dig Through Time is just a much more powerful card.

Your opponent gets 7 cards too and gets to act first.

I don't think that's a big enough drawback for a card as powerful as Timetwister. Especially with hand emptying in certain formats.

All this discussion is moot though. This is a huge issue for a collector such as me. If Wizards is going to make one change to all the cards on the do not print list and then reprint them, I'm out.

Timetwister is an overrated effect to begin with and its not even good when your opponent gets to use the 7 new cards they have before you do. Treasure Cruise is a better card by any reasonable metric. But in most reasonable decks Dig Through Time is just a much more powerful card.

Have you ever played vintage and emptied your hand while your opponent still has 6 cards in theirs?

Go ahead, tell me its overrated.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't think that's a big enough drawback for a card as powerful as Timetwister. Especially with hand emptying in certain formats.

All this discussion is moot though. This is a huge issue for a collector such as me. If Wizards is going to make one change to all the cards on the do not print list and then reprint them, I'm out.

Bye, then.

Angry Grimace

Have you ever played vintage and emptied your hand while your opponent still has 6 cards in theirs?

Go ahead, tell me its overrated.

Yes, I play Vintage all the time on MTGO and its very clear to me that you don't. Timetwister is literally good in one deck, and that deck isn't even necessarily good anymore. You don't know what you're talking about. Timetwister barely sees play even in Vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom