• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
en_it6Befsnyj.png

Glad to see this reprinted.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rabblemaster and Piledriver at the same time gonna be ridiculous and frankly, Goblins in Modern is probably viable now with Legion Loyalist and some other nonsense.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, that's a neat and wholly unexpected reprint. Pretty happy that it seems that BFZ is going to have the classic tribes in it. I haven't gotten a chance to play them in standard, since they didn't exist when I came back.

But let me tell you, as a collector I'm mad that my Piledriver playset prices are gonna crater!!11!!

Well, that's a neat and wholly unexpected reprint. Pretty happy that it seems that BFZ is going to have the classic tribes in it. I haven't gotten a chance to play them in standard, since they didn't exist when I came back.

But let me tell you, as a collector I'm mad that my Piledriver playset prices are gonna crater!!11!!

It's like Lorwyn without the bad art!

Ready for some games?

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169930910]It's like Lorwyn without the bad art!

Ready for some games?[/QUOTE]
Karla Ortiz may be blinding you a tad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Rabblemaster any good in Modern with Piledriver around? I was gonna drop those pretty soon.

Angry Grimace

I wouldn't drop them - that card's probably not coming back to standard any time soon.

Well if it was just a Standard level card, I'd punt them for the $8 they cost. If its going to be a Modern level card, I'm going to keep them.

I wouldn't have a reason to think its a Modern level card outside of Piledriver possibly creating enough synergy to bring Goblins up to a legit deck.

I dunno about that, but the painlands being printed worry me a bit.

I find it exceedingly unlikely they won't reprint Scalding Tarn in BFZ. Its just too expensive for no real reason.

Angry Grimace

Wizards is done with Midrange by the looks of it. Standard's going to be interesting.

Straight red aggro decks for the next couple months are probably Goblin decks, I guess, but still, I don't see anything that's uncrowning Siege Rhino.

Angry Grimace

Vryn looks cool, by the way. I'm hoping the Spring set is there.

Angry Grimace

Jace is gonna show up sooner or later anyways, why not there? Its been a whole 3 sets since JACE JACE JACE JACE

y2dvd

Was Goblin Piledriver printed just outside of modern before this? Can it find a home in burn playing alongside Goblin Guide?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I just meant Midrange outside of Abzan. Abzan Control, Mega-Morph, etc is still viable since it has Rhino/Taisugur + all the mass destruction spells.

Angry Grimace

Was Goblin Piledriver printed just outside of modern before this? Can it find a home in burn playing alongside Goblin Guide?

Its a tribal card, you'd play it as a dedicated Goblins deck.

Angry Grimace

Well I picked up MTGO Piledrviers for 80 cents. I guess they could get cheaper, since they were in VMA, but that's not a lot of money to lose.

Oh hey, they're $2.50 now. I should MTGFINANCE!!!'d this shit.

You know, when it became apparent that we weren't getting any famous angel reprints with protection, I started to think about what other big creatures they could reprint with protection, and did consider Goblin Piledriver, but dismissed it because it would be too strong, especially with Goblin Rabblemaster around. But, "Well, there is is."

The other elves are interesting. Odd to see a mana dork in monoblack, albeit an unusual one. I'm surprised the life loss elf actually is just 3 mana. We may actually see Standard CoCo Elves before Zendikar even gets involved.

And one more new card
en_vgPpOssKyR.png

I'm surprised we're getting the prowess variants alongside prowess.

EDIT: Any reprints people are looking forward to? Number crunch. I'd like for Atog to come back, especially since red seems to have a small artifact theme, and there's room at collector number 130.

EDIT: Just realized that with Vryn Wingmare, "wingmare" was totally a pun in My Little Pony.

OnPoint

If they bring Atog back they need to bring some cool variants with it.

Edit: I have dreams of Standard Elf Devotion using CoCo and Genesis Hydra with Shaman of the Pack. Please let there be enough elves to make this worthwhile.

Angry Grimace

Not sure what you expected, to be honest. GB is the Owen Turtenwald of NeoGAF.

Angry Grimace

Rabble master worth holding onto post rotation ?

I personally say no, Kirblar says yes. Depends on what you think Modern Goblins will play - the problem is that Rabblemaster is just kind of slow vs. Goblin Chieftain.

Rabblemaster isn't worth enough that I think its a worthwhile sell-off if you have any interest in playing red for 2 months. Granted, it will spike again because Piledriver exists.

Yeef

My understanding is that Rabblemaster sees fringe play in some older formats, but honestly, I think it's too good a card not to hold onto at least a playset. It's bound to find a home eventually.

Angry Grimace

My understanding is that Rabblemaster sees fringe play in some older formats, but honestly, I think it's too good a card not to hold onto at least a playset. It's bound to find a home eventually.

You can do 30 damage by turn 4 with unanswered Denizen --> Piledriver ---> Rabblemaster.

I'm sure R/g goblins will be a thing people try since flashing in Piledriver and Rabblemaster EOT with CoCo is like 10 damage alone.

Jhriad

The problem is that the "these nerds are gross and sweaty and chasing away all the women" argument is that it doesn't explain this competitive disparity showing up in a game like Chess.

However, plenty of other factors do provide ample explanation for the disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom