• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's the best way to get your grubby hands on a new set in MTGO? Drafts and Sealed? Wait for sellers to have common/uncommon playsets for sale and then hunt down rares? What's the prerelease/release scene on MTGO like?

Wait it out for about a week. Never buy anything new on MTGO during prerelease - the only stuff they'll have is hardcore marked up and then immediately craters when the set itself releases (prerelease is a weekend, set releases on monday after it)

edit: this damn dude just won't give up. Now he wants me to trade a Clique, Scavenging Ooze and a Watery Grave for 4 khans fetches. I just went ahead and canceled the negotiations all together.

Is it those 2 kids on deckbox? Not that I'm deckbox creeping or anything but I've tried trading with them before and they pull out every trick in the book trying to get value.

The Alden twins or whatever? Yeah I stopped trying to get a good trade out of them.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170188466]edit: this damn dude just won't give up. Now he wants me to trade a Clique, Scavenging Ooze and a Watery Grave for 4 khans fetches. I just went ahead and canceled the negotiations all together[/QUOTE]
:lol what a rip

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
4 Khans fetches is less than a Clique. I hate when people try and rip you off with stupid rationalizations about why. Its like when some guy at my LGS tried to rip me off in a trade for a Clique by claiming he was "trading out of Modern." The proposed trade was all fetches and a Thoughtseize. He thought I should throw in an extra KTK fetch over value for no reason.

Hero

I definitely feel like in the past few years all this MtG speculation has brought out some of the worst people trying to rip people off in a trade shamelessly. I used to be polite when declining these one-sided trades but now I just laugh in their face.

ironmang

I definitely feel like in the past few years all this MtG speculation has brought out some of the worst people trying to rip people off in a trade shamelessly. I used to be polite when declining these one-sided trades but now I just laugh in their face.

It's noticeably bad since the whole mtgfinance shit kicked off but from what I hear trading was horrible before smart phones were available to your average player.

4 Khans fetches is less than a Clique. I hate when people try and rip you off with stupid rationalizations about why. Its like when some guy at my LGS tried to rip me off in a trade for a Clique by claiming he was "trading out of Modern." The proposed trade was all fetches and a Thoughtseize. He thought I should throw in an extra KTK fetch over value for no reason.

Last big event I was at there was some guy who wanted a couple cards from me of equal value to stuff I wanted from him. It was almost the easiest trade ever. He was $4 off and asked what helix was at and I looked it up and showed him $4 which worked perfectly. Of course he then says "there's a nick on this so would you give me two?" despite every card on both sides basically being in the same condition. People just need to feel like they're "getting over" on the other person or else they won't trade. Of course I told him no because I'd rather lose money to a vendor who has to pay venue fees to make money from me.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170188466]
The Alden twins or whatever? Yeah I stopped trying to get a good trade out of them.[/QUOTE]

Ya that's them. Last time I tried trading with them they kept changing the trade so I got like 30 low value cards, none of which were the ones I started a trade for, and they got like my 3 highest value cards lol.

duxstar

If you guy's want to see a great magic player at work go watch Boswell in that final's matchup, holy crap I was shocked he pulled that out. I love the Bos because he is an incredibly nice guy, he was willing to talk about g/w aggro on mtg salvation with me (a newb at the time) and always explain what he thought. A really cool guy, so glad he pulled it out.

Jhriad

It's noticeably bad since the whole mtgfinance shit kicked off but from what I hear trading was horrible before smart phones were available to your average player.

Have smartphones made it worse? The little trading I've done has been very straightforward but then the guys I've traded with at my LGS are pretty cool. The last time I traded prior to Khans was sometime in '96 and I didn't know the value of shit. That's the story of how I lost my Force of Will for a 500 bulk commons. Thinking about all the value I traded away back in the day would probably hurt more if I didn't lose the majority of early Magic collection to a burst pipe six or seven years ago. At least those valuable cards someone screwed me out of are probably alive and well somewhere.

Hero

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170216432]You would think that "cards I want vs cards you want at relatively equal tcg mid" would make sense to most people.[/QUOTE]

Most good traders will do that. I usually have a small box of 1-2 dollar cards in there to sweeten deals if people get REALLY hung up over a few dollar differences.

Firemind

I have a few issues of Scrye magazine somewhere at my parents house.
I'm still looking for that poster I got with an issue where they entertain the idea of a Magic: The Gathering film.

Brad Pitt as Gerrard
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Volrath
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Hanna
Jim Carrey as Squee

Edit: ah my google fu is working for once

LBjNWZb.jpg

Matriox

I'm still looking for that poster I got with an issue where they entertain the idea of a Magic: The Gathering film.

Brad Pitt as Gerrard
Jim Carrey as Squee

Oh sweet Jesus. I would have watched that.

OnPoint

Brad Pitt as Gerrard
Jim Carrey as Squee

I think that's karn not volrath

Predatore_della_Lama_Funerea.png

Deathblade Predator
2B
Creature - Human Warrior
Deathtouch
Whenever Deathblade Predator deals combat damage to a player, that player loses life equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
1/4

kirblar

What all do you think is on the serious chopping block?
Splinter Twin
Simian Spirit Guide
Any number of parts of the Grishoalbrand deck
Summer Bloom

Summer Bloom is a lock. Others are potentials. Gristlebrand himself might be the best thing to cut out of the Goryo's deck, rather than go after a reanimation spell that otherwise just cheats Emrakul into play....badly.

Simian Spirit Guide is an easy ban. It cuts most of the BS out of the current BS combo decks that are winning too fast. The Grishoalbrand deck is going to have a hard time reanimating things too fast without being able to draw into free mana, Ad Nauseam can't do its thing (not that the deck was blowing up the meta anyway). You can't cheat out a Living End or anything else faster than you're supposed to.

I think it's fine to ban Summer Bloom; you can play the same deck with four Azusas instead, and other deck can interact with your ridiculous combo with something other than counterspells. I think it's also fine not to ban Summer Bloom, to be honest.

I wouldn't ban anything else.

Crocodile

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170236133]Reminds me of this thing I made like 10 years ago:[/QUOTE]

I get Robin Williams (RIP), Haley Joel Osment and Ben Affleck but who the fuck are the other actors supposed to be?

Angry Grimace

Splinter Twin
Simian Spirit Guide
Any number of parts of the Grishoalbrand deck
Summer Bloom

Summer Bloom is a lock. Others are potentials. Gristlebrand himself might be the best thing to cut out of the Goryo's deck, rather than go after a reanimation spell that otherwise just cheats Emrakul into play....badly.

None of these things are getting banned. Willing to bet real money on it.

duxstar

Days undoing seems super strong in decks like Affinity/Burn, the downside of it really isn't that big. I've played many affinity decks that go Thopter, Opal, Darksteel, pay 1 mana Spring leaf drum, play signal pest, and have 2 or 3 cards left in hand on turn 1. Now imagine if they can reload the next turn?

Pretty scary lol, my least favorite part of modern is the whole combo nature of it. I've tried to find a "fair deck" for awhile now. This will push it further towards the combo side.

I'm a huge fan of the whip decks obviously, but if it was week one and I had to pick a deck based on the known info I'd probably play Sultai Control.

scoopcityfwa2x.png

I've been testing it and it seems pretty great. I might move Kiora to the main and work on the curve some more. Kiora is a great follow-up play to Languish. Undecided on Anticipate versus Elvish Visionary. I'm expecting a lot of low-curve aggro decks to start floating around after origins and Visionary trades pretty well with a Foundry Street Denizen.

If anybody ever wants to test Origins on Cockatrice I'm around.

Angry Grimace

Serious question: how do you plan beat a Piledriver deck with that? On the draw you probably have no chance to win at all unless they don't draw either Rabblemaster or Piledriver? And 4 Languish seems excessive given it can't kill the best creature in the format at all.

kirblar

infinite-obliteration.png.pagespeed.ce.tDIpTOGwsR.png

Cranial only for Creatures. This is actually playable.

This set really feels like every single good card was inserted into it by development after the file was handed over. None of the Timmy/Johnny friendly cards have any real overlap with the Spike ones, minus the Angel.

Angry Grimace

Its sideboard playable because Deathmist Raptor exists. I played to a 1-0-1 win against Esper Control last week simply because Esper has no real way to remove Deathmist Raptor outside of milling it off with Ashiok.

Of course, even that card wouldn't have done anything since EDC can't beat Mastery of the Unseen, which I put out early both games.

Kieli

After a day of reading rules, watching videos and playing tutorial of Duel of Planeswalkers, I think I understand how to play the game now!

Have to say, the quickstart rule card and their website do not do a very good job of explaining a lot of the nitty-gritty.

At this point I'm figuring out whether to purchase the full-game of Duels 2014, or buy a starter deck to play with. The former is very cheap on my wallet, but I feel like something's missing without the social aspect. It's fun trolling your friends, socializing, and all that. At this point as a new player, the gameplay aspect along isn't sufficient to sustain my interests (not that it isn't fun, but I'm not experienced enough to appreciate the competitiveness, strategy, and nuance).

Chapin makes a really good point: the Dragon decks are actively showing you cards from their hand as the game progresses, which makes this kind of card stronger than usual.

Newt

It does fit the rare slot I think. Fairly good value card for it's mana cost. At the very least it's draw a card at instant speed for 1W.

MOAR DEVELOPMENT PLANTS!

0016_MTGORI_EN_HRR-215x300.png

This is going to see a lot of sideboard play if See the Unwritten into Eldrazi is a deck.

Serious question: how do you plan beat a Piledriver deck with that? On the draw you probably have no chance to win at all unless they don't draw either Rabblemaster or Piledriver? And 4 Languish seems excessive given it can't kill the best creature in the format at all.

Half that deck is x/1s that trade with the wayfinders and visionaries and languish kills everything even after Obelisk. It leans hard on the sweepers, but it's a control deck, it's probably not going to win a lot of game ones against sligh. That said, I am working on the curve and probably want a bile blight or two main.

So far I haven't tested against the full gauntlet but I have played against a variety of aggro and midrange. A lot of the deck is still a work in progress.

And 4 Languish seems excessive given it can't kill the best creature in the format at all.

It's not like it's a midrange mirror or anything, Sultai control only cares so much about Siege Rhino. I'm stealing a lot of work from Shaheen Soorani for this list, and he echoed that sentiment at the open this weekend. 4 languish main, worry about rhino with the other cards.

That said, fighting Polukranos was pretty annoying and it's the same thing. Some people like a split with Crux, but I want to start with 4 to maximize my testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom