• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170256503]Kinda like a terrible upheaval lol

ripping Entreat off this thing would be hype though.[/QUOTE]

It's aggressively bad Scapeshift.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170256086]This is going to see a lot of sideboard play if See the Unwritten into Eldrazi is a deck.

Half that deck is x/1s that trade with the wayfinders and visionaries and languish kills everything even after Obelisk. It leans hard on the sweepers, but it's a control deck, it's probably not going to win a lot of game ones against sligh. That said, I am working on the curve and probably want a bile blight or two main.

So far I haven't tested against the full gauntlet but I have played against a variety of aggro and midrange. A lot of the deck is still a work in progress.

It's not like it's a midrange mirror or anything, Sultai control only cares so much about Siege Rhino. I'm stealing a lot of work from Shaheen Soorani for this list, and he echoed that sentiment at the open this weekend. 4 languish main, worry about rhino with the other cards.

That said, fighting Polukranos was pretty annoying and it's the same thing. Some people like a split with Crux, but I want to start with 4 to maximize my testing.[/QUOTE]

There are 3 different goblins that give unblockable, all of which I expect to see in the Piledriver deck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MOAR DEVELOPMENT PLANTS!

0016_MTGORI_EN_HRR-215x300.png

Huh.

Well, so they were worried about Goryo/Breach decks after all.

Kieli

Kinda difficult to find info on this (no price on LGS websites... =.=), but what's the typical price on intro/theme decks (60 cards + 2 boosters) and duel decks (120 cards)?

Trying to figure out if I'm getting ripped off or not.

Matriox

Played a mm2 draft and kept getting handed spirits so I took it. Ended up going 3-0 not really knowing what I was doing but damn waxmane Baku does work.

yFZ79et.jpg

I had never played with or against spirits before, but it worked out.

G.ZZZ

Huh.

Well, so they were worried about Goryo/Breach decks after all.

Isn't this a decent card against twin also ? (pseudo-timewalk).

EDIT: nevermidn this sucks vs twin

Had it said "permanent" instead of creature i'd be all over it in legacy D&T and white tempo. Fuck fetches (and SnT).

duxstar

Someone at wizards really likes death and taxes in legacy. The fact that moonlight shuts down whip of erebos, collected company, see the unwritten, aether vial, Genesis wave, Genesis hydra, any tokens created and more means it will see play somewhere. Meanwhile all the green mythics are garbage, except Nissa who I'm still not sure is any good.

red13th

is it that much better than Containment Priest on D&T? it cantrips and stops tokens but can't be Vialed in. EDIT: and doesn't attack of course.

duxstar

is it that much better than Containment Priest on D&T? it cantrips and stops tokens but can't be Vialed in. EDIT: and doesn't attack of course.

Priest exiles herself when you vial her in, this replaces itself and lasts until end of turn. It doesn't necessarily stop Omni tell though since the wording is cast on Omniscience.

I think it hates enough things to at least see sideboard play in most formats.

Hero

Priest exiles herself when you vial her in, this replaces itself and lasts until end of turn. It doesn't necessarily stop Omni tell though since the wording is cast on Omniscience.

I think it hates enough things to at least see sideboard play in most formats.

Priest doesn't exile herself via vial, unless you have another one already in play.

The Great Aurora isn't just a board wipe. It also gives you a tempo advantage - the lands come out untapped, so you get to refill fill your board first. It's kind of like a board wipe + a Time Walk.

Also I am pretty sure it's the first monogreen reset button.

Firemind

I can't believe PV wrote an entire article about Demonic Pact's constructed applications. It's never good, bro. Not on turn 4. Not on turn million. I'd rather have Abyssal Persecutor than this crap mythic. At least decks actually play creature removal maindeck.

duxstar

Haha no Containment priest doesn't exile herself, I'm an idiot, since no shops play legacy near me anymore it's been awhile since I played it, priest does shut down all your other vial activations which is what I was thinking of.

Maybe it's time to fire up trice and play a few more games of legacy again lol.

MjFrancis

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2015/06/magic-origins-spoiler-hallowed-moonlight/

Full link for those who are interested.

My B/W tokens deck will be T3 now. Why not maindeck a cantripping hoser for a good chunk of the format? I would. I might put it in my token deck's SB just for it's sheer utility.

I disagree that it is a blowout against Twin though. It delays them a turn, and it might not even be worth countering. You really have to be one turn away from winning to make casting this v. Twin to be worth it.

OnPoint

thegreataurora.jpg

Well, that's probably going to be annoying in EDH.

I hope to god this gets the EDH ban. Fuck this card, it seems totally un fun to play against or even with.

Also Hallowed Moonlight is a piece of shit as it splash damages my Polymorph Tokens deck. Fuck. Bad morning.

WanderingWind

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2015/06/magic-origins-spoiler-hallowed-moonlight/

Full link for those who are interested.

My B/W tokens deck will be T3 now. Why not maindeck a cantripping hoser for a good chunk of the format? I would. I might put it in my token deck's SB just for it's sheer utility.

I disagree that it is a blowout against Twin though. It delays them a turn, and it might not even be worth countering. You really have to be one turn away from winning to make casting this v. Twin to be worth it.

Huh. Well then. The more I think about it, the more I sort of hate this card. Why make a card that hoses so many decks? It can now be boarded in against Merfolk, tokens, Zoo, CoCo elves, reanimator, GoryoBrand and Twin (to some extent). The only saving grace is that most of the decks it murders are T2, so it may not have any real impact. But it's weird that they made such a specific card.

WanderingWind

When is the last time we've seen a card printed that is specifically designed to cut down on the amount of viable decks in a format? Whether or not it works is sort of besides the point, but this seems like a safety valve type of card for CoCo. I'd be curious to see if that card was once costed less.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kinda difficult to find info on this (no price on LGS websites... =.=), but what's the typical price on intro/theme decks (60 cards + 2 boosters) and duel decks (120 cards)?

Trying to figure out if I'm getting ripped off or not.
Usually like $12.99 and $19.99 respectively but it might depend on the Duel Deck. Which are you looking at?

OnPoint

That card is so red.

It's not really any worse than a Perilous Vault or any other giant boardwipe, other than the variance involved in which lands come back out.

I don't usually mind board wipes if they leave me the ability to play spells afterward. Vault doesn't hit lands. Land destro is hugely un-fun, and there's a chance that someone casts this and you get 2 lands instead of keeping the 10 or so you had out. Just not fun.

Have you played against Warp World? Its really not that bad unless you have that friend who refuses to play any other deck

I'm the asshole who used to play cards like Warp World in my group and found that people (at least annecdotally) really don't like that kind of card.

Yeef

635711509802136296.png

Emermaw Hellion 3RR
Creature - Hellion
Trample
When ever another red source you control would deal damage to a permanent or a player, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
4/5

kirblar

I can't believe PV wrote an entire article about Demonic Pact's constructed applications. It's never good, bro. Not on turn 4. Not on turn million. I'd rather have Abyssal Persecutor than this crap mythic. At least decks actually play creature removal maindeck.
The card's playable, at the very least- but you have to be getting something sorcery-speed.

y2dvd

infinite-obliteration.png.pagespeed.ce.tDIpTOGwsR.png

Cranial only for Creatures. This is actually playable.

This set really feels like every single good card was inserted into it by development after the file was handed over. None of the Timmy/Johnny friendly cards have any real overlap with the Spike ones, minus the Angel.
I like it. Slow against aggro decks but should be able to rip apart slower decks. Could be a main board card.
MOAR DEVELOPMENT PLANTS!

0016_MTGORI_EN_HRR-215x300.png

This also answers Deathmist Raptors. Imma hate this in EDH where I cheat a lot of creatures in with reanimator spells. D:

OnPoint

This also answers Deathmist Raptors. Imma hate this in EDH wear I cheat a lot of creatures in with reanimator spells. D:

I mean, if it gets cast on me at the wrong time while playing my Balthor EDH deck, it's just scoop city for me. In some ways I kinda like that I'd be able to leave a potentially lengthy game early without it dragging on. On the other hand I'd be surprised if this saw much if any EDH play. It's so narrow in that format.

MjFrancis

Hallowed Moonlight also stops Wurmcoil Engine tokens, that's a good one.

My original post called it a hoser for half the format but I edited it, but the more I think about it the more decks I see it working against. I will safely say that if you play white in Modern you should maindeck a copy or two of this card and keep the rest of the playset in your sideboard.

I'm pretty sure if we posted enough of it's applications this card does work in half the format in Modern right now.

OnPoint

My original post called it a hoser for half the format but I edited it, but the more I think about it the more decks I see it working against. I will safely say that if you play white in Modern you should maindeck a copy or two of this card and keep the rest of the playset in your sideboard.

I'm pretty sure if we posted enough of it's applications this card does work in half the format in Modern right now.
So far we got:
  • Splinter Twin
  • Any CoCo decks
  • Chord of Calling
  • Polymorph :(
  • Token strategies
  • Wurmcoil Engine
  • Grishoalbrand/Goryo
  • Aether Vial
  • Whip
  • See the Unwritten
  • Genesis Wave/Hydra

What else?

WanderingWind

It even hits UWR Geist! Let's just name the decks it doesn't affect.

Infect.
Jund. (Non Huntmaster variant, lol get rekt speculators)
Abzan.
Affinity.
Auras.
UW Control. (But it does hit most Esper lists).
Amulet Bloom.
Scapeshift.
Grixis Control.

Firemind

The card's playable, at the very least- but you have to be getting something sorcery-speed.
I don't get it.

I mean, if it gets cast on me at the wrong time while playing my Balthor EDH deck, it's just scoop city for me. In some ways I kinda like that I'd be able to leave a potentially lengthy game early without it dragging on. On the other hand I'd be surprised if this saw much if any EDH play. It's so narrow in that format.
I played against Balthor once. I landed a Relic of Progenitus on turn one and he's like: "Really?"

It even hits UWR Geist! Let's just name the decks it doesn't affect.

Infect.
Jund. (Non Huntmaster variant, lol get rekt speculators)
Abzan.
Affinity.
Auras.
UW Control. (But it does hit most Esper lists).
Amulet Bloom.
Scapeshift.
Grixis Control.
Doesn't Abzan run CoCo now? Would also hit their persist creatures. We could add Burn to the list, however.

Jhriad

So far we got:
  • Splinter Twin
  • Any CoCo decks
  • Chord of Calling
  • Polymorph :(
  • Token strategies
  • Wurmcoil Engine
  • Grishoalbrand/Goryo
  • Aether Vial
  • Whip
  • See the Unwritten
  • Genesis Wave/Hydra

What else?

Huntmaster of the Fells, Thragtusk, first mode of Ojutai's Command, anything with Persist such as Kitchen Finks and Murderous Redcap, the discard clause on cards like Wilt Leaf Liege & Loxodon Smiter, Flicker effects, and Blade Splicer are a few I can think of.

MjFrancis

I am happy that Burn is good enough to be a thing in Modern, even with Leyline of Sanctity running around.
And that I own that deck lol

Flickerwisp and Restoration Angel immediately came to mind. However Flickerwisp can act as removal now for two cards and five mana. That's pretty funny.

Hopefully this makes Collected Company stuff more affordable. Hallowed Moonlight will hurt these "unfair" creature decks that don't have a "fair" backup plan. CoCo can still go the beatdown route after all, something Modern reanimator decks typically lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom