• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

What the what @ bolded price.

There were a whole ton (some Core 2015, some Tarkhir, and some others I don't recognize) as well as one double-deck at my local grocery store. They were $20 CAD and $40 CAD, respectively.

:'( :'( :'(

So that was probably a Clash Pack (not a duel deck), and those have an MSRP of 34.99

You should have mentioned you were in Canada. I'd assume that the prices are higher than USA MSRP

Im never going to have to look at a mess of a board like this ever again also

maxresdefault.jpg

I hope these rules expand everywhere soon

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like it. Slow against aggro decks but should be able to rip apart slower decks. Could be a main board card.

This also answers Deathmist Raptors. Imma hate this in EDH where I cheat a lot of creatures in with reanimator spells. D:

Its actually less good against Deathmist Raptor than you might think since pretty much every Deathmist deck has Den Protector and you can flip and return them to the battlefield in response to the spell. Removing a Deathmist that's randomly in the deck somewhere isn't terribly amazing, really.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, you didn't need that turn anyway. No biggie. Commence Satyr Wayfinder beatdown mode.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but it's not like a hoser or anything unless you play 4x of them and manage to play them back to back to back to back. It is the equivalent of getting your spell countered, except way more narrow.

Firemind

yay a five mana mana stone.

the flavour text of this set is truly something else.

mulligan rule, eh, could go either way. would be funny to see people accidentally scry 2 or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the mulligan rule change helps people flip Delver at all.

Edit: Ah, I see, you're on the play, that makes sense.

Dragoshi1

Hi guys, a newbie question or two;

In the new set coming next month, these cards are going to be in it, with a front and back already printed;

Does that mean you NEED sleeves for your deck if you have these in it?

And how many planeswalkers can you have in a deck, anyway?

I dabble in MTG, but mostly for the collecting aspect, a local shop opened near me that does FNM, so I was interested in giving it a try and making my own Green/Red deck. As a plus, I also wanted to add the above card to it, so I was gonna preorder however amount I need.

Angry Grimace

You see, you just find a way to get Delver onto the battlefield before your first turn...

I guess if you're on the play, you don't draw the card, so you just leave it there if its Serum Visions and then play Delver T1, and then flip him T2.

In the new set coming next month, these cards are going to be in it, with a front and back already printed;

I dabble in MTG, but mostly for the collecting aspect, a local shop opened near me that does FNM, so I was interested in giving it a try and making my own Green/Red deck. As a plus, I also wanted to add the above card to it, so I was gonna preorder however amount I need.
They come with a companion card that is a "checklist" card that has a regular Magic back. You just keep the real card off to the side. You can also just play it in opaque sleeves and flip it manually in the sleeve, which is what most people do that I know.

Newt

Yes, you would need sleeves. You can have as many planeswalkers as you want in a deck, but you can only have 4 of the same card in a deck.

Jhriad

Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but it's not like a hoser or anything unless you play 4x of them and manage to play them back to back to back to back. It is the equivalent of getting your spell countered, except way more narrow.

Agreed. That said, it is in a color that doesn't have counters and it replaces itself which is nice. The fact that it's relevant against the Deathmist+Den Protecter combo, CoCo, and a few other things means it'll be present somewhere in a lot of decks that run white. Tainted Remedy is probably the least likely to be played of the three cards that cause problems for Whip but it could see play if forms of life gain like Mastery of the Unseen or Whip become more prevalent.

You don't need sleeves as you can use the checklist card like Angry Grimace pointed out. It would be recommended to use sleeves though as they protect the condition, and hence the monetary value, of your investment in the game.

ultron87

Moonlight isn't that great against Raptor because Raptor's ability is a may. So it won't ever get exiled by Moonlight (if the controller knows what they are doing) and will just hang out in the yard till the next time. I mean a cantripping Stifle is still good, it just isn't the huge blowout it is against something like Collected Company.

It is pretty nuts that it cantrips, honestly. Makes it totally reasonable to use against so many things.

I hope to god this gets the EDH ban. Fuck this card, it seems totally un fun to play against or even with.

It doesn't touch life totals so it would take quite the player uprising to put it on the chopping block.

Land destro is hugely un-fun, and there's a chance that someone casts this and you get 2 lands instead of keeping the 10 or so you had out. Just not fun.

Oh man, I hadn't even considered unequal land redistribution on top of the other things I liked about it! I want one even more now.

I love blowing up lands SO MUCH

It doesn't touch life totals so it would take quite the player uprising to put it on the chopping block.

Oh man, I hadn't even considered unequal land redistribution on top of the other things I liked about it! I want one even more now.

I love blowing up lands SO MUCH

Great Aurora into Maelstrom Wanderer is never going to get old for some people.

Jhriad

So we've still got two mythics (B & U), twenty rares, and a random disappointing land cycle left to reveal. What's the next "classic" Magic card to be made in a slightly worse form? Green still has a lot of rares left to reveal whereas Red probably has, at most, one more. The third blue mythic might just by Ahmamaamamdamdingaling's Archive I guess and then we have one slot for a Black themed card and one... artifact?

Angry Grimace

So we've still got two mythics (B & U), twenty rares, and a random disappointing land cycle left to reveal. What's the next "classic" Magic card to be made in a slightly worse form? Green still has a lot of rares left to reveal whereas Red probably has, at most, one more.

I think the disappointment is that people expected something different than "lol core set." This is just a regular core set with the same amount of useless crap as every Core Set and just barely enough decent cards someone will crack a few packs.

Jhriad

I think the disappointment is that people expected something different than "lol core set." This is just a regular core set with the same amount of useless crap as every Core Set and just barely enough decent cards someone will crack a few packs.

Oh, I wasn't criticizing the set. It's fine for what it is and it's got some nice flavor to it which is cool. I was really just curious what sort of things you guys expected from those last few slots.

Angry Grimace

Oh, I wasn't criticizing the set. It's fine for what it is and it's got some nice flavor to it which is cool. I was really just curious what sort of things you guys expected from those last few slots.

I'm not sad to see it go at all since this is exactly what we expect from dumb core sets.

Omniscience reprint, obviously.

Angry Grimace

The biggest reason I'm disappointed in the lack of Allied Painlands is the inability to use Ice Age Phil Foglio Sulfurous Springs.

EN087eg.jpg

Jhriad

The biggest reason I'm disappointed in the lack of Allied Painlands is the inability to use Ice Age Phil Foglio Sulfurous Springs.

I'd totally forgotten the pain lands were in Ice Age. The different formatting made me think of the Ice Age lands as this weird separate thing. Fuck. That's legitimately disappointing for some odd reason.

ironmang

There's no way to play in PPTQs after you won one for that season right? Actual major downside to winning one since there's a few PPTQs with SCG IQ prizes in the area and I'm like 4 points from qualifying for the next SCG invi.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170314835]Classic turn 1 Cavern on Merfolk gambit while playing Amulet Bloom isn't so hot against discard.

GGs Dux[/QUOTE]

GG's man, That was the top 8 abzan list, and it really seemed ...... weak to the 2 decks you played, there was like 0 artifact hate, no wonder it didn't win the gp

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
There's no way to play in PPTQs after you won one for that season right? Actual major downside to winning one since there's a few PPTQs with SCG IQ prizes in the area and I'm like 4 points from qualifying for the next SCG invi.

Just don't win next time!

What I love most about Ice Age lands is that of the two dual color cycles it's the depletion lands that made it on the reserve list.

e: No more soothing River Delta art, never again

mHYzgKdm.jpg

ultron87

That seems weird that they'd mix prizes for two different circuits like that. One would think it would make sense to have those as separate events just to bring more people in.

Purdy

Hi guys I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions here, I've played the DoTP 2014 intro and read up a bit a little while ago, so bought a set of duel decks to play with a friend.

Firstly, I attacked with a 3/2 monster and he chose to block with a 5/5 one, I then used this instant

Does this mean it instantly sacrifices his 5/5 creature and my damage goes through onto his health?

Secondly, I played this card

I choose the X value right? So I can use 0/1/2 extra mana for 0/1/2/ white Angel creature tokens?

I don't actually have 'tokens' that are white angels in the duel deck I just got two 1/1 soldiers, do I need to use something else as tokens?

Also does this card stay on the field the same way an enchantment does and then you can choose to cycle it when you want?

Finally he used a card, I can't remember that 'returned target creature to owners hand', if he does this to my tokens can I resummon them or what happens since they never really had a direct summon cost?

Apologies if the wrong place but we had a lot of fun for a few hours but just struggled with a few things, didn't even use the two planeswalker cards as we haven't read up on how to use them yet :p

red13th

1. You don't deal damage to the defending player, unless it had trample. since it was blocked it deals damage to the blocking creature (or to nothing if the blocked creature leaves the battlefield). Trample changes things a bit.
2. You choose X (if you cast the spell X=0 does nothing and you pay 2WW, X=1 makes it cost 1+1+2WW, so 6 mana for an Angel). Sorceries go to the graveyard, you do what the text tells you to do (put tokens onto the battlefield) then put it on your GY.
3. Tokens that leave the battlefield cease to exist, bouncing (returning it to owner's hand) basically kills the token.

Hi guys I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions here, I've played the DoTP 2014 intro and read up a bit a little while ago, so bought a set of duel decks to play with a friend.

Firstly, I attacked with a 3/2 monster and he chose to block with a 5/5 one, I then used this instant

Does this mean it instantly sacrifices his 5/5 creature and my damage goes through onto his health?

I choose the X value right? So I can use 0/1/2 extra mana for 0/1/2/ white Angel creature tokens?

I don't actually have 'tokens' that are white angels in the duel deck I just got two 1/1 soldiers, do I need to use something else as tokens?

Also does this card stay on the field the same way an enchantment does and then you can choose to cycle it when you want?

Finally he used a card, I can't remember that 'returned target creature to owners hand', if he does this to my tokens can I resummon them or what happens since they never really had a direct summon cost?

Apologies if the wrong place but we had a lot of fun for a few hours but just struggled with a few things, didn't even use the two planeswalker cards as we haven't read up on how to use them yet :p

Can't see those cards at work, but I'll make a guess.

1. A blocked creature is still blocked, even if the blocking creature is gone. It doesn't deal damage to the defending player unless it has trample.

2. You can pay any amount of mana for X, yes.

3. You can use anything you want to represent tokens, as long as everyone knows what it is. You can use dice, for instance.

4. Cycling can only be done from your hand.

5. Tokens are erased from existence when they leave the battlefield--only cards can exist in other zones. You can't bring them back.

Purdy

1. You don't deal damage to the defending player, unless it had trample. since it was blocked it deals damage to the blocking creature (or to nothing if the blocked creature leaves the battlefield). Trample changes things a bit.
2. You choose X (if you cast the spell X=0 does nothing and you pay 2WW, X=1 makes it cost 1+1+2WW, so 6 mana for an Angel). Sorceries go to the graveyard, you do what the text tells you to do (put tokens onto the battlefield) then put it on your GY.
3. Tokens that leave the battlefield cease to exist, bouncing (returning it to owner's hand) basically kills the token.

Can't see those cards at work, but I'll make a guess.

1. A blocked creature is still blocked, even if the blocking creature is gone. It doesn't deal damage to the defending player unless it has trample.

2. You can pay any amount of mana for X, yes.

3. You can use anything you want to represent tokens, as long as everyone knows what it is. You can use dice, for instance.

4. Cycling can only be done from your hand.

5. Tokens are erased from existence when they leave the battlefield--only cards can exist in other zones. You can't bring them back.

Cheers guys that clears up alot

In the first instance would his 5/5 kill my 3/3 or whatever and then be sacrificed or his 5/5 is sacrificed but my 3/3 still does no damage?

red13th

Depends when you cast the spell. You can play it after the declare blockers step, or at the end of combat (after combat damage is dealt). You SHOULD play it after blockers are declared so it dies and your critter lives.

Cheers guys that clears up alot

In the first instance would his 5/5 kill my 3/3 or whatever and then be sacrificed or his 5/5 is sacrificed but my 3/3 still does no damage?

Combat has three steps:
1. Declare attackers
2. Declare blockers
3. Combat damage

If you cast the spell between step 2 and 3, then your creature will survive, since the blocking creature will die before combat damage happens.

bigkrev

He would sacrifice his creature before damage is dealt. Your creature would only do damage to him if it had trample.

Yes, you choose the value of X. In this spells case, however, it has XX as a cost, so if X= 1, you would get 1 Angel and would pay a total of 4WW (2WW + 1 colorless for the first x and + 1 colorless for the second X). If you wanted 2 Angel tokens, X would equal 2, and you would pay 6WW, 3 Angels would be 8WW, ect.

And you can use anything as a token- beads, dice, Amiibos, whatever. The token cards are just an easy way to tell what is what.

No, Cycling is an ability that comes from your hand. Decree of Justice is one of the most complicated cyclers, here is a more simple one.
6851.jpg

Cycling means that if the card is in your hand, you can (as an instant) pay the cycling cost, discard it from your hand, and draw a card. Decree has a trigger that occurs when it is cycled- you first pay 2W, discard the card, and then put the triggered ability on the stack. Then, you may pay X to create X 1/1 tokens, and then the cycling trigger resolves, and you draw your card.

Tokens, if they would be moved from the battlefield to any other zone (ie, your deck, hand, graveyard, library, command, exile), they are exiled (removed from the game). If an effect would kill a token, it goes to the graveyard just long enough to trigger anything involving a creature dying before being exiled. (example: you have an enchantment that says "When a creature you control dies, draw a card", a token being killed by a Lightning Bolt would trigger that enchantment, even though the token is exiled instead).

So in this case, if they bounce your token, it's exiled instead.

Apologies if the wrong place but we had a lot of fun for a few hours but just struggled with a few things, didn't even use the two planeswalker cards as we haven't read up on how to use them yet :p[/QUOTE]

red13th

Also, duel decks are pretty complicated for beginners, I tried teaching my cousin to play with Speed vs Cunning and it was maddening. :lol
Don't worry if you are confused.

Purdy

Depends when you cast the spell. You can play it after the declare blockers step, or at the end of combat (after combat damage is dealt). You SHOULD play it after blockers are declared so it dies and your critter lives.

Cheers, I thought that, I did declare it once he declared his blockers but then I wasn't sure as since he never really blocked so to speak if my guy was free to attack but thats not true without trample then, cheers :).

Combat has three steps:
1. Declare attackers
2. Declare blockers
3. Combat damage

If you cast the spell between step 2 and 3, then your creature will survive, since the blocking creature will die before combat damage happens.

Cheers as above :)

He would sacrifice his creature before damage is dealt. Your creature would only do damage to him if it had trample.

Yes, you choose the value of X. In this spells case, however, it has XX as a cost, so if X= 1, you would get 1 Angel and would pay a total of 4WW (2WW + 1 colorless for the first x and + 1 colorless for the second X). If you wanted 2 Angel tokens, X would equal 2, and you would pay 6WW, 3 Angels would be 8WW, ect.

And you can use anything as a token- beads, dice, Amiibos, whatever. The token cards are just an easy way to tell what is what.

No, Cycling is an ability that comes from your hand. Decree of Justice is one of the most complicated cyclers, here is a more simple one.
6851.jpg

Cycling means that if the card is in your hand, you can (as an instant) pay the cycling cost, discard it from your hand, and draw a card. Decree has a trigger that occurs when it is cycled- you first pay 2W, discard the card, and then put the triggered ability on the stack. Then, you may pay X to create X 1/1 tokens, and then the cycling trigger resolves, and you draw your card.

Tokens, if they would be moved from the battlefield to any other zone (ie, your deck, hand, graveyard, library, command, exile), they are exiled (removed from the game). If an effect would kill a token, it goes to the graveyard just long enough to trigger anything involving a creature dying before being exiled. (example: you have an enchantment that says "When a creature you control dies, draw a card", a token being killed by a Lightning Bolt would trigger that enchantment, even though the token is exiled instead).

So in this case, if they bounce your token, it's exiled instead.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply although slightly confused now, what is WW exactly :p?

How I interpreted the card when using it was it cost 2x any mana + 2x white mana and then I could summon two Angels if I paid an extra 2 mana (one for each X), obviously this is wrong, so I need to pay 2 mana extra per Angel I wish to summon and I can summon as many as I want/possibly can?

Also, duel decks are pretty complicated for beginners, I tried teaching my cousin to play with Speed vs Cunning and it was maddening. :lol
Don't worry if you are confused.

Cheers, my mate just ordered that today haha, think he's hooked and they're really handy for just us two spending a few hours in the afternoons playing, was a lot of fun despite guessing some of the rules.

Thanks for all the incredibly fast and helpful replies by the way guys

Angry Grimace

Technically, a token that leaves the battlefield ceases to exist entirely as opposed to being "exiled."

Wichu

Building 5C wincon tribal for this week's FNM.

Five-colour reanimator burn tokens devotion megamorph lifegain mill dragon bees toolbox combo. Let's do this.

My Dragon isn't technically a Dragon, and the bees are in the sideboard, but close enough :p

bigkrev

Thanks for the reply although slightly confused now, what is WW exactly :p?

How I interpreted the card when using it was it cost 2x any mana + 2x white mana and then I could summon two Angels if I paid an extra 2 mana (one for each X), obviously this is wrong, so I need to pay 2 mana extra per Angel I wish to summon and I can summon as many as I want/possibly can?

WW is 2 White Mana. W is short for White, U for Blue, B for Black, G for Green, and R for Red. So if someone says a card is 1UU, they mean it costs 1 colorless mana and 2 blue mana. Similarly, if someone says they are playing a "UW Control Deck", that means a control deck that is both Blue and White, "RG Aggro" is a Green-Red aggro deck, a "Bug" deck is Black-Blue-Green, ect.

And yes, you can make as many angels as you want, as long as you pay 2 for each one.

Purdy

WW is 2 White Mana. W is short for White, U for Blue, B for Black, G for Green, and R for Red. So if someone says a card is 1UU, they mean it costs 1 colorless mana and 2 blue mana. Similarly, if someone says they are playing a "UW Control Deck", that means a control deck that is both Blue and White, "RG Aggro" is a Green-Red aggro deck, a "Bug" deck is Black-Blue-Green, ect.

And yes, you can make as many angels as you want, as long as you pay 2 for each one.

Thank you, get it now :)

635711886875621960.png

And, along with the black and one-color planeswalker cards that were spoiled early before, exclusive to Comic Con will be a book version of the planeswalker origin stories.
635711911849065375.jpg

Gideon's Comic Con card, which we haven't seen before.
635711912032573845.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom