• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Hopefully I'll get lucky like I did last year (thanks to an assist from someone in this thread) and get them off the website again.

Firemind

HUKk6xH.png

This is probably the most fun MM2015 deck I ever drafted. Third pick mulldrifter. And a goyf!

dat value

Firemind

t4 guile, followed by mulldrifter, holding mana leak up, is insanity. get bent, kozilek's predators. somehow i'm drawing my smokebraiders and an even distribution of lands (almost) every game. i feel like a mtgo god.

i'm convinced. mm2 > mm1

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Decided to get into modern by building the cheapest deck I could find that seemed tier 1, ie affinity. Particularly modeled after the GP Singapore winner. Cards I'm missing:

4x Mox Opal
4x Arcbound Ravager
2x Bloodmoon
2x Inkmoth Nexus

Ouch. $400 more to go.

OnPoint

Decided to get into modern by building the cheapest deck I could find that seemed tier 1, ie affinity. Particularly modeled after the GP Singapore winner. Cards I'm missing:

4x Mox Opal
4x Arcbound Ravager
2x Bloodmoon
2x Inkmoth Nexus

Ouch. $400 more to go.

You have a trade list by chance?

ultron87

CItPSSoUMAAFjAQ.png:large

Okay reprint. Kind of a bummer that Abzan and Sultai charm both make this way less removal proof than it feels like it should be.

Yeef

Dies to Atarka ETB. Next!
It's clearly meant as a sideboard card against control decks. Assuming it doesn't get hit by thoughtseize, it's pretty hard for the current control decks to deal with. Probably moreso after rotation (when they lose thoughtseize, Perilous vault and some other answers).

Also, at rare, it's probably going to be annoying in limited.

Is anyone else having serious trouble with MtGO disconnection right now? I can have the portal open for an hour; but 7 minutes into any match I get disconnected. We just set up internet at our new house and I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope it isn't on our end.

MTGO is horribly unforgiving with wifi flicker. I've been traveling on business, and trying to play MTGO from my hotel has been an exercise in futility some nights. If the hotel wifi cuts out for anything more than a couple of seconds, MTGO freaks out and forces me to restart.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's clearly meant as a sideboard card against control decks. Assuming it doesn't get hit by thoughtseize, it's pretty hard for the current control decks to deal with. Probably moreso after rotation (when they lose thoughtseize, Perilous vault and some other answers).

Also, at rare, it's probably going to be annoying in limited.

It dies to Foul-Tongue.

pelicansurf

It's an OK card in EDH. Gets in for an instant 8, that's pretty strong as a closer. Some evasion. Plays well with Dragonlord Dromoka.

Zocano

I've been nearly done with an affinity deck for like two years now (only missing a few (bl)inkmoth nexuses and 2 ravagers) but stopped my hunt to fill it out cause I realized where the hell am I gonna play paper modern? I live real close to Dallas so PTQs aren't exactly hard to get to but that even still I'd rather play "casual" competitive.

Also it's been ages but thanks Kirblar for the legendary rule heads up way back when. That's when I said fuck it and bit on 4x Mox Opals before they jumped to 50.

pelicansurf

I've been nearly done with an affinity deck for like two years now (only missing a few (bl)inkmoth nexuses and 2 ravagers) but stopped my hunt to fill it out cause I realized where the hell am I gonna play paper modern? I live real close to Dallas so PTQs aren't exactly hard to get to but that even still I'd rather play "casual" competitive.

Also it's been ages but thanks Kirblar for the legendary rule heads up way back when. That's when I said fuck it and bit on 4x Mox Opals before they jumped to 50.
Mox's are around 30 now. Maybe I should pounce on them.

Txx2os7.jpg

Scab-Clan Berserker
Creature - Human Berserker
Haste
Renown 1
Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, if Scab-Clan Berserker is renowned, Scab-Clan Berserker deals 2 damage to that player.
2/2

Kieli

Are local hobby shops typically more expensive than large stores (Walmart, Target)?

Been searching a few local ones, but they never put their prices on their website.

Are local hobby shops typically more expensive than large stores (Walmart, Target)?

Been searching a few local ones, but they never put their prices on their website.

It's either the same or cheaper from my experience, but local guys have a tendency to go above MSRP on supplemental products you can't get at big retailers.

Matriox

Gideon’s-Phalanx.jpg

Gideon’s Phalanx

Instant

Put four 2/2 white soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Spell mastery – Until end of turn, creatures you control gain indestructible.

Jhriad

Gideon’s Phalanx

Instant

Put four 2/2 white soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Spell mastery – Until end of turn, creatures you control gain indestructible.

First response was, "Holy Fuck, that's terrible!"
After a second look it changed to, "Wait, the tokens are 2/2's? Huh."
Finally, I've settled on,"Guess I'll end up with several of these to throw in with the rest of the bulk."

Matriox

First response was, "Holy Fuck, that's terrible!"
After a second look it changed to, "Wait, the tokens are 2/2's? Huh."
Finally, I've settled on,"Guess I'll end up with several of these to throw in with the rest of the bulk."

Its for ramping into with sweet mono white devotion. Maybe. Probably not.

Zocano

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170384537]Just bought another playset of Nobles at 25 each.
[/QUOTE]

Did Hierarch drop that much? Didn't think MM would move her that much.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did Hierarch drop that much? Didn't think MM would move her that much.

It didn't, if someone is selling God's Beard Hierarch's for 25 each, it means they're desperate for drug money and/or God's Beard is their drug dealer.

Ok, so Liliana is pretty mediocre so far. Draconic Roar my Sidisi, force my Lili to flip then attack my Lili before she can activate suuuucks. 3 mana for a zombie token just isn't great.

Nissa has always, always been great though.

More importantly, I've been practicing my die rolls WanderingWind!

sarkeezyr2phr.png

Needs to pay for all those Italian dinners he buys.

They taste like speculator tears.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170387750]Ok, so Liliana is pretty mediocre so far. Draconic Roar my Sidisi, force my Lili to flip then attack my Lili before she can activate suuuucks. 3 mana for a zombie token just isn't great.

Nissa has always, always been great though.

More importantly, I've been practicing my die rolls WanderingWind!

.png

They taste like speculator tears.[/QUOTE]
You try to sell us on all sorts of dreck, though. I haven't forgotten the Ashen Rider phase.

duxstar

I'm so confused by this set and I'm pretty sure they decided to weaken green a ton.

On the one hand we get Gideon, Goblin Piledriver, and other cards that point to a push towards aggro. Then they print 6 and 7 cost mythics and rares that will never see competitive play.

Look at greens rares. A 3 mana 1/1, a 7 mana 8/5, a 6 mana 6/5 that gets a cmc creature = to 3, a 9 mana edh card, an elf lord and a Planeswalker that flips at 7 mana, and a mana dork that can't tap for mana. I get that some people just want to play elfball, but that's not me. I know it's preliminary to bitch but the last mythic being spoiled as a weird EDH card was extremely disappointing

Angry Grimace

I'm so confused by this set and I'm pretty sure they decided to weaken green a ton.

On the one hand we get Gideon, Goblin Piledriver, and other cards that point to a push towards aggro. Then they print 6 and 7 cost mythics and rares that will never see competitive play.

Look at greens rares. A 3 mana 1/1, a 7 mana 8/5, a 6 mana 6/5 that gets a cmc creature = to 3, a 9 mana edh card, an elf lord and a Planeswalker that flips at 7 mana, and a mana dork that can't tap for mana. I get that some people just want to play elfball, but that's not me. I know it's preliminary to bitch but the last mythic being spoiled as a weird EDH card was extremely disappointing
Every Core Set is like this. People just incorrectly assumed Wizards was going to do something interesting with it.

I hope you guys like bullet points and modal abilities:

mqhUWrx.jpg

Student of the Ring
Creature - Human Wizard (3/4)
Mythic
(1), Exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard: Choose one
* Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays (2).
* ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
* Tap target creature.
* Untap target creature.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Chandra's 0 ability as an ETB effect on a creature with prowess but no haste is weird.

Matriox

Student of the Ring
Creature - Human Wizard (3/4)
Mythic
(1), Exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard: Choose one
* Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays (2).
* ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
* Tap target creature.
* Untap target creature.

I keep waffling back and forth... She can single handedly control the game if you get to untap in a deck suited to have her, but she would be a 7-8 drop to reliably get there. Not unreasonable, but I'm having a hard time evaluating. I started out negative, but I'm thinking this can be really good.

Edit: I think Christmas land is getting the best of me.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
O.k so I'm entering a 2v2 commander competition, made two decks:

Venser, Shaper Savant

36x Island
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Lotus Bloom
Sol Ring
Isochron Scepter
Pact of Negation
Annul
Broken Ambitions
Condescend
Cursecatcher
Dispel
Disrupt
Gitaxian Probe
Mental Misstep
Ponder
Pongify
Power Sink
Spell Burst
Spell Pierce
Stubborn Denial
Swan Song
Syncopate
Arcane Denial
Boomerang
Confound
Counterspell
Delay
Disdainful Stroke
Disrupting Shoal
Flash Counter
Logic Knot
Mana Leak
Memory Lapse
Muddle the Mixture
Negate
Neutralizing Blast
Prohibit
Redirect
Second Guess
Squelch
Stymied Hopes
Cancel
Complicate
Convolute
Dissipate
Dissolve
Dream Fracture
Exclude
Faerie Trickery
Forbid
Force Void
Hinder
Liquify
Oppressive Will
Rakshasa's Disdain
Runeboggle
Spell Contortion
Spell Crumple
Thoughtbind
Control Magic
Dismiss
Rewind
Scattering Stroke

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

20x Forest
10x Island
Simic Growth Chamber
Temple of Mystery
Command Tower
Hinterland Harbor
Yavimaya Coast
Breeding Pool
Gemstone Caverns
Ancient Ziggurat
Mirrodin's Core
Wirewood Lodge
Arbor Elf
Birchlore Rangers
Boreal Druid
Copperhorn Scout
Diligent Farmhand
Elvish Mystic
Elvish Pioneer
Fyndhorn Elves
Instill Energy
Joraga Treespeaker
Krosan Wayfarer
Llanowar Elves
Nature's Chosen
Quirion Ranger
Skyshroud Ranger
Utopia Sprawl
Wild Growth
Wirewood Symbiote
Coiling Oracle
Fertile Ground
Heart Warden
Kiora's Follower
Leaf Gilder
Priest of Titania
Quirion Elves
Quirion Explorer
Renegade Doppelganger
Seeker of Skybreak
Sylvok Explorer
Voyaging Satyr
Werebear
Wirewood Elf
Wood Sage
Elvish Archdruid
Elvish Guidance
Elvish Harbinger
Elvish Spirit Guide
Fyndhorn Elder
Greenweaver Druid
Juniper Order Druid
Krosan Restorer
Ley Druid
Mul Daya Channelers
Nantuko Elder
Overgrowth
Shaman of the Forgotten Ways
Silhana Starfletcher
Somberwald Sage
Viridian Joiner
Wood Elves
Karametra's Acolyte
Mystic Snake
Phyrexian Metamorph
Wirewood Channeler
Gilt-Leaf Archdruid
Prophet of Kruphix
Chancellor of the Tangle
Primal Surge

Good idea or horrible idea? Uninterrupted, the Momir deck has usually stolen all the opponents lands by turn 5 or 6. Or activated Shaman of the Forgotten Ways' Biorhythm effect. If I get it in hand, most of the time I can cast Primal Surge on turn 4, sometimes turn 3. The Venser deck just counters anything that might wipe the board or target one of my creatures. So very fragile, but so goddamn fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom