• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I would play the second one for funsies, but the 1st one for competitive play. Just have your opponent play some ridiculous ramp deck and counter everything under the sun.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
95% of the time I have Momir Vig out on turn 3, then I grab Prophet of Krupix (which lets me tutor for any creature because he's UG), cast Prophet on my turn 4, cast Gilt-Leaf Archdruid during their turn 4 because I have mana and can flash creatures with Prophet, then turn 5 I play about 10 druids thanks to the Gilt-Leaf/ Momir interaction, and then all their lands are gone from Gilt-Leaf's effect.

It seems good, but I have yet to playtest. I may have beaten commander as a format though.

G.ZZZ

Lol fucked that up. Posted anyways.

magic_exclusiva_hobbyconsolas_2.png

An aggressive red 2 drop that doesn't want to be played turn 2.

No evasion or haste mean this will never connect anyway. It's a cute card but every creature being huge and burn being essentially capped at 3 damage means it'll hardly connect.

Also, this is way worse than Snapcaster, and Snapcaster should've totally been red #thxWotC #redstillworstcolor #bluebestcreaturesandbestspells

y2dvd

Txx2os7.jpg

Scab-Clan Berserker
Creature - Human Berserker
Haste
Renown 1
Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, if Scab-Clan Berserker is renowned, Scab-Clan Berserker deals 2 damage to that player.
2/2

This is the best spoiler of this page, and that's not saying much because I think the rest are pretty terrible. These creatures starts off too weak before being Renowned.

MjFrancis

Let's make Snapcaster Mage red and give him a more conditional ability.

Yes it's worse but it's a cleaner design because it's not always cast with an upside, or I should say the advantages change from T2-T8. Cast on T3 to hit a land drop you may be missing or T8 to hit something cool, hopefully. Scry is running around more so there's always that.

It's no Bolt-Snap-Bolt but I think that was the point. The lines of play to take with Abbot aren't that obvious.

Also, I'm not certain that this will happen in any competitive environment but I'd love to put a Splinter Twin on this guy. Reminds me of Twin on Wall of Omens back when U/W/R was a thing.

OnPoint

I'm glad they're exploring Red's 'card draw through exile' space, but it still just feels like a worse blue ability. Maybe if it was like "exile the top card, you may cast any instant or sorcery revealed this way for free if the CMC is 3 or less until end of turn". They're just so cautious with Red for some reason. Abbot is a clean design, it's a fine card mid-to-late game, I just wish they'd take the kid gloves off more often.

I still say Scab-Clan Berserker should have had Menace and not Haste. Honestly they could have pushed it a little and gave it both (and made it a goblin haha) but again, Red is treated with great caution.

He'd be cool with Flash, actually. If you flash him in, you could cast another spell and maybe eat a blocker, but you'd be gambling on whiffing on the comes-into-play ability. At least he'd be an entertaining card that way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm glad they're exploring Red's 'card draw through exile' space, but it still just feels like a worse blue ability. Maybe if it was like "exile the top card, you may cast any instant or sorcery revealed this way for free if the CMC is 3 or less until end of turn". They're just so cautious with Red for some reason. Abbot is a clean design, it's a fine card mid-to-late game, I just wish they'd take the kid gloves off more often.

I still say Scab-Clan Berserker should have had Menace and not Haste. Honestly they could have pushed it a little and gave it both (and made it a goblin haha) but again, Red is treated with great caution.

I don't blame them for being cautious with Red but that's only because so far the best expansion of Red they've had is card advantage and 20 years into the game they still keep screwing up card advantage in Blue. If red becomes too good at it burn just becomes even more combo.

I'd like to see them push the color in other areas. Here's hoping they actually have some up their sleeve

OnPoint

I don't blame them for being cautious with Red but that's only because so far the best expansion of Red they've had is card advantage and 20 years into the game they still keep screwing up card advantage in Blue. If red becomes too good at it burn just becomes even more combo.

I'd like to see them push the color in other areas. Here's hoping they actually have some up their sleeve

Solid points about the card advantage stuff.

As for the bolded, I think they're making a massive mistake in ignoring Red's "artistic" or "emotional" side. Spitballing here, but how about "actors" that take on the "role" of other creatures? So you could represent that maybe through activated cloning effects. Enthralling Victor is an interesting idea as it "inspires" other creatures. Why not explore that space more? You could have a rumor monger style guy in a bar who "inspires" two creatures you don't control to fight each other. There are so many cool, creative ways to go about this, and they're so slow to move on expanding what the color can do. It's frustrating. I feel like they're working toward expansion for Red, but it's so hard to see at this point.

Abbot of Keral Keep is fine if you view it as an Elvish Visionary with a weaker ETB that is a bit stronger afterward--even when not taking prowess into consideration.

How about this as a red creature? Trying to play in the space of love and emotion:

Warrior Lovers 3RR
Creature - Human Warrior
2/3

As ~ enters the battlefield, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of ~.

Sacrifice ~: Counter target spell or ability an opponent controls that targets another creature named ~. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. It gains haste and menace until the end of your next turn.

I'm sure there are all sorts of things wrong with that card, but it seems like a sweet way to make a card that tells a story. I wanted a creature that would "jump in front of the bullet" for someone they loved.

OnPoint

Something like this would be how I'd start exploring the space.

aBDdmdA.png

And as for my other idea, I don't think it works best on a creature, but instead should be a spell.

OGEkRxT.png

ultron87

I like the "jump in front of bullet" idea for red. Though I'd probably have it redirect the spell to the creature instead of saccing it to counter something. Red Spellskite for your guys sounds totally fine to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Weird mana ramp card if you ask me.

Blue Mythic probably is just just Exemplars Part 2.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lol fucked that up. Posted anyways.

magic_exclusiva_hobbyconsolas_2.png

An aggressive red 2 drop that doesn't want to be played turn 2.

Kind of amazing how underrated this card seems to be. Its fine as a turn 2 drop in an aggressive red deck and even better when its not. Definitely going to be a staple in standard at least.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You know what WotC? You clearly can't design red, so just give up and give us back the good red spells and we'll call it a day. Lightning Bolt, Char, Starstorm, Fireball, Disintegrate...let's go. Stop messing around with horsecrap versions of other cards and give us the good versions of the only design space you know how to use. Lightning Strike and Magma Jet ain't it.

Yeef

These weren't posted here yet:
635712555573362772.png

Evolutionary Leap 1G
Enchantment

G, Sacrifice a creature: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
'Fixed' survival of the fittest.

635712542455887531.png
635712542458856263.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Red Guy saw some play. Seeker of the Way saw play at similar stats. Yes, he's not nearly as good on Turn 2, but he's also not a bad Turn 2 play by any real means.

Green card is a riff on Survival, but way worse.

ultron87

Animist's Awakening (with mastery) being Amulet and Summer Bloom on the same card makes me think there might be something crazy to do there.

bigkrev

What is Red about "pull a spell from your memory and use it"?

It's not even from your memory, it's from someone else's memory (it can only target opponents).

Digging into someones mind and beating them with their own magic is about the most blue thing you can do.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Dude, no. It's one of the more exciting mill cards they have printed in a long time.

But other than the mill portion, it's red's "new" effect, but strictly better. Red still has to pay mana for its revealed spells. Blue just gets to cast them for free. Two of them.

ultron87

It's not even from your memory, it's from someone else's memory (it can only target opponents).

Digging into someones mind and beating them with their own magic is about the most blue thing you can do.

Right. I meant "your" as in "the caster's opponent" but I can see how that isn't clear now. :p

Angry Grimace

Are you new? Red is burn + bad versions of other color effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom