• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

It's not even from your memory, it's from someone else's memory (it can only target opponents).

Digging into someones mind and beating them with their own magic is about the most blue thing you can do.

Framed the way it is, flavorwise, yes, it's blue.

Give the card a different flavor, though, and it could become red. Imagine a situation of inspired friendship, two men at a bar drinking and one of them says too much because they've had too much to drink.

This is the kind of stuff they should be doing in Red.

Wichu

Evolutionary Leap actually looks pretty sweet. It's the sac outlet my Sultai deck has been looking for.

Rather than thinking of it as a worse Survival (it's very different), think of it as G, Sacrifice a creature: Draw gas.

G.ZZZ

Abbot of Keral Keep is fine if you view it as an Elvish Visionary with a weaker ETB that is a bit stronger afterward--even when not taking prowess into consideration.

The whole point of Visionary is being an elf. The stats are pretty much irrilevant. One joke that is often said in legacy circles is that if WotC printed a 0/1 defender elf for G, it'd be banned because Elves would be the best deck.

Also the new "fixed" survival isn't the worst shit. It's essentially sac for draw. So it's basically a fixed pod which already was a fixed survival.
I just want survival back in legacy wotc plz. Legacy control decks can beat Survival any day of the week nowadays with all the crap you've given blue, and all the new good creatures you've printed are better against Survival that in it (DRS, SFM, Tasigur and Angler, Pyromancer, Mentor etc...).

Yeef

But other than the mill portion, it's red's "new" effect, but strictly better. Red still has to pay mana for its revealed spells. Blue just gets to cast them for free. Two of them.

I don't care about the flavor, I was talking purely mechanically. It seems like a Reversal of Fortune-type spell to me, only it's blue - the most lazily obvious color for the effect.
This effect has been in blue for a long time.

35.jpg
78.jpg
19.jpg
42.jpg
38.jpg
64.jpg
36.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guess is that some insane person at FFL decided the synergy between Despoiler and Risen Executioner was more than Standard could bear if Despoiler was a zombie.

Jhriad

Thinking about it, wouldn't it make more sense for Mill to be part of the Red pie now? Land destruction isn't a thing anymore so it would make sense to give Red some other resource destruction. You could "burn" away their deck as your burn their life total.

EDIT:

Something along the lines of:
Searing Blow - R
Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. If damage is dealt to a player in this way they mill one.

bigkrev

Thinking about it, wouldn't it make more sense for Mill to be part of the Red pie now? Land destruction isn't a thing anymore so it would make sense to give Red some other resource destruction. You could "burn" away their deck as your burn their life total.

EDIT:

Searing Blow - R
Instant
Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. If damage is dealt to a player in this way they mill one.

The milling is literal flavor text in this case. The trap of mill that most new players fall into is that you have to mill every single card in the deck before the milling actually means anything. If I have even a single card in my library, your milling has not made any effect on the game.

Yeef

EDIT:

Searing Blow - R
Instant
Mill is already in 3 colors (blue, black and green self-mill), it doesn't need to be in any more. Also, it doesn't really fit red at all. Red still gets land destruction in almost every set; it's just costed such that it's unplayable.

Mill also isn't really "resource denial." I think temporarily preventing your opponent playing lands (or making it harder to do so) would be an okay compromise, but I don't know that mana denial is really something the game even needs these days.

2R
Enchantment
When a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, Sacrifice ~. If you do, that player sacrifices a land unless he or she pays 2.

Not Stone Rain
1R
Sorcery
Destroy target land. It's controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a land card, puts that card onto the battlefield under his or her control, and the rest on the bottom of his or her library.

Mana Denial
2R
Sorcery
Tap all lands target player controls. That player gets an emblem with "You can't play lands." until the beginning of your next upkeep.

G.ZZZ

The problem of a lot of space for red is that it feed into combo. Take for example this:

Remembrance R
Instant
Exile target instant or sorcery from your graveyard. Until the end of turn, you may play that card.

Yes it's a cute card, but the "until end of turn" means it's automatically better in combo because of the decreased cost compared to straight regrowth . At that point the solution is to bind such effects to creatures, so that they can't be abused as well, like the new abbot monk whose pseudo-cantrip is prob less than 1 mana worth. And at that point... you printed snapcaster but it's blue Kappa.

That "fight each other" card as an example of "emotion" for red, can be reduced signifcantly in cost if you word it as a "must attack or block", like this:

Moment of Anger R
Instant
Target creature gain +1+1, trample until EOT, and must attack or block this turn if able.

Making it pump mean that it's not all upside if you cast it on an opponent's creature.

Fight is a perfectly red ability, but extremely underused. I always wanted something like:

Drunken Brawler RR
Creature - Human
As it ETB, fight another creature at your choice.
2/2

That ETB isn't even a strict upside, since if the only other creature down is a Goyf this just kill itself. Something like this would be good only against mana/utility creatures nowadays, and tokens.

if Red is creative, it should also get more modal spells, which aren't exactly its forte.
And finally, give me more cards like Feldon's, that was amazing even if overcosted:

Michelangelo R
Legendary Creature - Human Artist
R,T: create a token copy of target creature. It's an artifact in addition to its types, and has "this can't attack, block, or use an ability with T as a cost".
Sometimes it looks like they breath.
0/2

The idea is that the statues would still have static abilities/activated abilities with no tap cost, and would be usable as fodder for creature/artifact sacrifices.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You guys, its not that red doesn't have interesting design space, its that everything they think up is too expensive.

You guys, its not that red doesn't have interesting design space, its that everything they think up is too expensive.

Lava Freeze
R
Instant
Target player can’t play land cards this turn. If that player controls more lands than you, put Pyroclastic Freeze into your hand as it resolves.

Does anyone know if San Diego Comic Con has any MTG tournaments during the weekend? Do they require a pass?

I hope you guys like bullet points and modal abilities:

mqhUWrx.jpg

Student of the Ring
Creature - Human Wizard (3/4)
Mythic
(1), Exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard: Choose one
* Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays (2).
* ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
* Tap target creature.
* Untap target creature.

It's like a worse version of Deathrite Shaman that's blue.

OnPoint

635712542453075024.png

This is an interesting design. May see tournament play? Especially since, as mentioned earlier, it works with Alesha.

Works INCREDIBLY well with Exploit methinks.

Lava Freeze
R
Instant
Target player can’t play land cards this turn. If that player controls more lands than you, put Pyroclastic Freeze in your hand instead of your graveyard.

I think it would be worded like that? Either way I like it a lot.

OnPoint

This card is super broken. There's plenty of red decks that can run on just 2 lands. Being able to lock your opponent out of having more than 3 lands is crazy strong.

It's interesting design space though. I like the idea of punishing land drops if we can't have land destruction. Would it be better if it were something like

Molten Betrayal
1R
Instant
Target opponent takes 5 damage for each land that comes into play under his or her control this turn. If that player controls more lands than you, put Molten Betrayal in your hand instead of your graveyard. You can not play Molten Betrayal on your own turn.​

It would be a hell of a card against Scapeshift.

Angry Grimace

It's interesting design space though. I like the idea of punishing land drops if we can't have land destruction. Would it be better if it were something like

Molten Betrayal
1R
Instant
Target opponent takes 5 damage for each land that comes into play under his or her control this turn. If that player controls more lands than you, put Molten Betrayal in your hand instead of your graveyard. You can not play Molten Betrayal on your own turn.​

Reprint Burning Earth.

bigkrev

Molten Betrayal
1R
Instant

This is a 2 Mana Lava Axe with insane upside.

Angry Grimace

Cockatrice is actually amazing if you play with people you know. I may be cashing out of MTGO soon.

I had this great idea that Wizards could make a ton of money by implementing a testing subscription service where you could play in casual duels (without prize support) with any card you want (and allowing you to have access to cards earlier than they actually release on MODO).

Then I realized this breaks the business model.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I had this great idea that Wizards could make a ton of money by implementing a testing subscription service where you could play in casual duels (without prize support) with any card you want (and allowing you to have access to cards earlier than they actually release on MODO).

Then I realized this breaks the business model.

I mean, I got to play with Jund, a deck I wouldn't be able to afford for a long, long time. I don't know how they can monetize that feeling, but it starts with their new eternal format not revolving around 800 dollars tied up in 4 cards. Because guys? I don't know if you know this, but Tarmogoyf is a great card. So is LotV, for that matter.

(Nothing compares to the feeling of the first time I ultimated Jace on MTGO though).

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170448389]It's good as long as you can find real competition. I keep running into people playing their crappy Sovereigns of Lost Alara brews or whatever. Gets tiring.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, or people fucking around with crappy Zoo brews. Buncha scrubs, I tell ya!

bigkrev

Not if the player decides to not play a land. Then it's something else entirely.

Making a card that punishes you for playing your second land makes for a horrible game.
Playing and cracking a fetch on the second turn will cost more than half your starting life total.

Jhriad

Cockatrice is actually amazing if you play with people you know. I may be cashing out of MTGO soon.

What're the differences between Cockatrice and XMage? I've been using Xmage for a little while now to practice draft with friends. Cockatrice doesn't have a rules enforcement engine right?

EDIT: Just downloaded Cockatrice and my virus protection immediately quarantined it. :\

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170448389]It's good as long as you can find real competition. I keep running into people playing their crappy Sovereigns of Lost Alara brews or whatever. Gets tiring.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I shouldn't be downloading Cockatrice. I'm sure I'm god awful compared to a lot of you guys.

OnPoint

Cast it in response to a fetch land activation. Card is broken beyond belief.

Making a card that punishes you for playing your second land makes for a horrible game.
Playing and cracking a fetch on the second turn will cost more than half your starting life total.

I get that this isn't the ideal configuration for the idea. But it's just an idea. Make it 2 damage. Make it 3 damage. I still think the idea is interesting enough to look into.

Maybe I shouldn't be downloading Cockatrice. I'm sure I'm god awful compared to a lot of you guys.
Playing against better players is partially how you get better.

I dont even show up to local weeklies now because I can get so much more magic on Cockatrice and a larger variety. It's pretty hard to go to fnm and test modern, then origins standard, then play against three different vintage decks. And I sure as hell won't pay to get that variety of experience on modo.

It's not perfect, but if you play with friends it's excellent.

WW and I are joking. Those were the decks we played against each other.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Don't worry about competition level. Just let us know what you want to play. I always like pulling out my casual fun brews too.

Angry Grimace

Its basically like showing up to FNM with a proxy deck. If all you want is to play Magic, its not any different, just way more convenient.

The problem with Cockatrice is that it isn't for anything, which is going to prevent a lot of people from caring about it.

I love cockatrice

Its def made me a better modern player.

I dont usually play with people I know and I've had very very few bad experiences. I also dont play combo ;)

if anyone wants to play you can find me on there as "phazedplasma"

Bandini

I got buzzed and tried to make a Worldslayer deck recently. It... did not go well.

I have the next 5! days off, I'll hit you up for some games soon. If anyone else wants to play, my name there is Bandini. I like all formats other than current standard.

Its basically like showing up to FNM with a proxy deck. If all you want is to play Magic, its not any different, just way more convenient.

The problem with Cockatrice is that it isn't for anything, which is going to prevent a lot of people from caring about it.

That convenience means a lot, though. I like trading with people at FNM, but the tournaments are so low-stakes that I might as well be playing on Cockatrice and save the five bucks. Having pizza and boba next door is sweet, though.

Besides, FNM has a lot of casual players and I'm not there to dunk on people's fun decks for 8 packs or whatever. I don't like making my first-round opponents feel bad about themselves and it happens a lot despite my best efforts to be playful. And I don't like being around the people that are there to dunk on everyone and be a jackass about it. There are a lot of good people too and a few legitimately strong players, but I do get tired of the FNM atmosphere. I do like drafting, though. I probably don't show up much because I haven't enjoyed the draft format since triple Khans and MM2 is a waste of money.

I love the PPTQs, though. I'm always happy to do one or two a week but it's modern now so I'm sitting this season out.

OnPoint

You guys are making me want to sign up for C.trice and play with y'all.

Surely there must be design space for Red that isn't absolutely miserable to play against.

Sure. I'm sure there is. One thing WotC likes to do often is give the opponent choices with Red. How about you make it a lose-lose for the player instead of making it OBVIOUSLYBADOPTIONA and EscapeHatchB. I just want the color to have an identity besides "like the other colors, but worse".

Firemind

Reading this page, I thought they actually printed reasonably costed land destruction in red.

Oh geez. My roommate built an EDH land destruction deck. That card is gonna be dirty in his deck.
Wait, what? What do those cards have to do with land destruction?

Xero

Not really a magic question but does anyone know a place to find a variety of playmats with life counters on them preferably that go up pretty high since I would be looking to use them for different games. Something like the add ons for this kickstarter would be perfect. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/epic-card-game/description Unfortunately I can't back the kickstarter. The other playmat would be for my wife so the trouble would also be finding one she would enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom