• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could be right. I don't mind this direction going forward. I can think of a few other threads i'd like some resolution or progression on then if they're following that logic from now on. Bolas, Garruk, New Phyrexia, the list goes on. Get it together WotC!

Dollars to donuts they revisit Phyrexia as soon as the urgent Eldrazi threads are tied off, esp. given that our next block is set on an artifact-themed plane.

bigkrev

Why not? They're 100% not going to get rid of Phyrexia the next time they turn up. Just from a timing standpoint it makes sense for them to do something to bring them back to the fore before they get around to Theros 2.

Are they going back to Theros? It seemed to me that it was the least popular new plane since Lorywn.

Why not? They're 100% not going to get rid of Phyrexia the next time they turn up. Just from a timing standpoint it makes sense for them to do something to bring them back to the fore before they get around to Theros 2.

If we assume reasonable amounts between, then that'd be at the least 4 years off. Not to mention that going directly from madness inversion to phyrexia inversion is a bit too similar in tone.

Are they going back to Theros? It seemed to me that it was the least popular new plane since Lorywn.

In the planar era, here is the list of settings that were too unpopular to return to: Kamigawa, Lorwyn. Here is the list of settings that were only popular enough to be a toss-up: Alara. That's it. Every other plane setting is going to get a return.

If we assume reasonable amounts between, then that'd be at the least 4 years off.

They're not going to wait 4 years between bringing Elspeth back and throwing her at Phyrexia again if that's what you mean.

The Volrath idiocy (where they took this pretty cool character designed to be the villain of the entire saga and sent him off with a random nonsensical plan, then unceremoniously killed him semi-offscreen) is really the clearest indicator that aggressively terrible writers were pulling the Weatherlight story together.

(He hasn't gone into it much yet, but the bits he has shared of the original Weatherlight story plan describe a story that, if not inspiring, at least would have followed some vague notion of proper story structure and narrative development.)

I love how they took Crovax, a character who was basically written in all caps to be "BLACK CHARACTER WHO IS NOT EVIL", and they made him evil because edge.

Also, it's annoyingly obtuse trying to find the actual details of the story in one place. Best place I found was a comment in this Reddit post that links to MTG Salvation topics.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My opinion on Infect: if printing a 1/1 for G with your mechanic on it is possibly one of the most busted creatures in Modern and Legacy you need to rethink your mechanic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
In the planar era, here is the list of settings that were too unpopular to return to: Kamigawa, Lorwyn. Here is the list of settings that were only popular enough to be a toss-up: Alara. That's it. Every other plane setting is going to get a return.

They're not going to wait 4 years between bringing Elspeth back and throwing her at Phyrexia again if that's what you mean.

=(

But those sets have the best art outside of Innistrad.

I love how they took Crovax, a character who was basically written in all caps to be "BLACK CHARACTER WHO IS NOT EVIL", and they made him evil because edge.

Yep. They play out Crovax's story in a way that makes absolutely no sense (he just turns into a vampire and then is evil forever because... why?), they kill Mirri right away (why would you kill the first officer character designed to play off the captain?), they make Ertai a villain in a way that makes Gerrard a monster and completely ignores his presumptive character arc (and starts a long, bad trend of poorly-done Phyrexianization plotlines), they give Hanna a bizarre ending... just totally incoherent from beginning to end.

Also they never actually resolved any of the plot hooks about the Legacy artifacts (except inasmuch as they pull out a deus ex machina god laser in the last five minutes) so all that hinting about Gerrard's hourglass pendant was wasted!

I was going 2 years for return to theros and 2 years from there.

Yeah I think it's more likely that they get right back to the Phyrexian plotline after Theros 2 specifically to get Elspeth involved in it.

=(

But those sets have the best art outside of Innistrad.

The art's pretty variable over the whole Weatherlight saga TBH. They're all better than the trashheap people-from-under-the-green-sun era of Odyssey through Kamigawa but that's not any kind of high standard.

the one thing jesse mason is most right about is that mirage has the best art actually

Kamigawa and Lorwyn are literally the only planes I want them to return to lol

Lorwyn is actually a great candidate for a return in a vacuum, it's sadly just a victim of problematic game design plus cutesy stuff being a bad demographic fit with their target audience. Kamigawa is a terribly-designed plane and there's absolutely no reason to go back to it specifically when they could come up with a better-thought-out Japanese plane from scratch instead.

Ashodin

Also they never actually resolved any of the plot hooks about the Legacy artifacts (except inasmuch as they pull out a deus ex machina god laser in the last five minutes) so all that hinting about Gerrard's hourglass pendant was wasted!

Hey bucko this is the best scene in the entire Apocalypse novel (besides like Tsabo Tavoc getting FUCKED UP by Karn (or maybe that was the Planeshift novel)).

ALSO, if any of you here would like to help with the YouTube channel, I'd be glad for the help

I can use a multitude of backgrounds, so just let me know what you think you can do (video editing, art, etc) and I'll see where I can fit you in. Of course, accreditation will be on every video so you won't go unnoticed.

Ashodin

Not if they make phyrexians in Kaladesh.

Kaladesh and Aether Revolt are

• Setting up the plane and what it is like
  • Creating a threat/setup for next time they return
  • Not Phyrexians

I could be wrong. Artifact heavy block without Karn? I doubt it.

Karn was there every time.

• Antiquities - I bet Urza had him in the back of his mind at the end
  • Urza's Saga - All up ins brehs, origin story
  • Mirrodin - Couldn't get in until Memnarch was ded lol
  • Scars of Mirrodin - Glad he aint the father of machines bruh or I woulda quit this shit game
  • Kaladesh - sup oops I left oil here LOL

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yep. They play out Crovax's story in a way that makes absolutely no sense (he just turns into a vampire and then is evil forever because... why?), they kill Mirri right away (why would you kill the first officer character designed to play off the captain?), they make Ertai a villain in a way that makes Gerrard a monster and completely ignores his presumptive character arc (and starts a long, bad trend of poorly-done Phyrexianization plotlines), they give Hanna a bizarre ending... just totally incoherent from beginning to end.

Yeah I think it's more likely that they get right back to the Phyrexian plotline after Theros 2 specifically to get Elspeth involved in it.

The art's pretty variable over the whole Weatherlight saga TBH. They're all better than the trashheap people-from-under-the-green-sun era of Odyssey through Kamigawa but that's not any kind of high standard.

the one thing jesse mason is most right about is that mirage has the best art actually

Lorwyn is actually a great candidate for a return in a vacuum, it's sadly just a victim of problematic game design plus cutesy stuff being a bad demographic fit with their target audience. Kamigawa is a terribly-designed plane and there's absolutely no reason to go back to it specifically when they could come up with a better-thought-out Japanese plane from scratch instead.
I think Lorwyn and Shadowmoor could easily come back. The basic concept of what the world is like and what it does is pretty sound.

explodet

I can take or leave Kamigawa (though screw that spirit nonsense, gimme more ninja rats) and I can see why they wouldn't want to revisit Lorwyn, they got two solid blocks out of it.

y2dvd

Went 3-4 in sealed pptq. While I did so-so, one of my wins was one of the best wins I've ever had in magic. I'm at 2 life and he's at 5. He just attacked with Keldon Marauders the previous turn, and its about to vanish his next upkeep. He has a Moggs Fanatic up for block. I swing in and get him down to 1. He blocks with his Moggs Fanatic and deals 1 dmg to me. He's already ready to claim victory with his vanishing Keldon pinging me for the last dmg. Fortunately, I top decked Animate Dead that turn, took his Moggs Fanatic, and pinged him for the last dmg! He was in disbelief lol.

And wow you got some nice folks out there! In my very last match, it came to a draw. I asked if he wanted to concede. He thinks about it and say let's just draw. I said I'll concede if that's the case and he took it. I asked him if the Wasteland he had in Game 3 was for trade. He simply unsleeves it, and hands it to me and says he doesn't really collect these things and thanked me for conceding. Free Wasteland! It pays off to be nice sometimes. I will just about always concede now if it comes to it haha.

Got me a playset of Force of Wills and two copies of Wasteland. Now all I need are those damn Berserk and Tropical Islands. :l

I think Lorwyn and Shadowmoor could easily come back. The basic concept of what the world is like and what it does is pretty sound.

Oh, sure, I mean, they certainly could and there'd be ways to make it work, they just don't want to because they don't think enough people would like it. But it would totally be possible.

Ashodin

Weekend Watercooler will be up tomorrow:

hBwqIFX.png

What's the most populous creature type?

Was bored so I brewed up a Duel Commander deck on Cockatrice and my first match was a Zurgo Bellstriker mirror lol

I kept a hand with Isochron Scepter. Free win.

cuc

The Yuki-Onna cycle is actually emblematic of the excessive exoticism they had going in Kamigawa - the majority of Kamigawa words are simple and trivial to native Japanese ears, made to appear mystical in English by transliteration, and the rest are completely made up like O-Kagachi.

For example, Yuki-onna means plainly "snow woman". There is no deeper meaning to the word. If they wanted the card to be easily understood by most people, they could have called the card something like "Snow Maiden", or they could also have stopped at "Yuki-Onna", since it's a well-known real life spirit. Instead they invented four new maidens to form a full cycle that people have to look up dictionaries to even know what they represent.

Richard Garfield also named cards with transliterations of common Arabic words in Arabian Night, but he was making the set almost all by himself at the dawn of Magic. It's curious WotC Creative did the same thing long after Magic became a mass market product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom