• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok debuts with 'Neutral' Reviews on Steam over issues

Cryio

zlCBIxr.jpeg

Yea if that happens, something's wrong with the game. 4GB 1650 is borderline stupid to even try to play this, but 24GB GPU is like 3090, 4090 or 7900 XTX iirc?
That's the infamous Nvidia driver crash from Intel 13th/14th CPU instabilities.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can someone confirm whether this has PS trophies and are they separate from the PS5 version? Can't find a straight answer just yet.

Ghost of Tsushima had a shared list with PC and PS5.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve heard it’s a disappointment, even from fans of the 2018 game so that’s enough to keep me away until a deep discount.

Buy Warhammer Space Marine 2 instead.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's always annoying. I'm just pointing out that it's not much different from other publishers.

Almost every major publisher have their own launcher without making their games exclusive to their own launcher. Ubisoft is probably the only publisher doing this at the moment, but it isn't really exclusive to their launcher. They have day one releases on EGS, and Steam 6 months later. But it isn't really working out for them, as their games are selling like horse shit at the moment. With every publisher on Steam, there couldn't be a worse time to make something launcher exclusive. Their games also doesn't have the popularity to succeed doing that.
I am more annoyed that Sony seems to be getting hate for making a PSN account. It's hardly intrusive at all.

Meanwhile...EA and Ubisoft not only require accounts, BUT require a launcher install anyway.

Fess

Thank God they will never do Day 1 releases on PC just to kill their business....
I definitely think it’ll happen. They want that day 1 excitement pulling more people in when people are still in the honeymoon GOTY phase. Late releases always come with a more balanced level of excitement, which means that people can wait even longer for a sale.
And they already lose enthusiasts with the normalized PC porting strategy, I wait on almost everything now. So I don’t think it would change much, it’s not like PC gamers are going to buy a console to play a timed exclusive, if they already have a console they might double dip if the release is late enough but that’s about it.

I definitely think it’ll happen. They want that day 1 excitement pulling more people in when people are still in the honeymoon GOTY phase. Late releases always come with a more balanced level of excitement, which means that people can wait even longer for a sale.
And they already lose enthusiasts with the normalized PC porting strategy, I wait on almost everything now. So I don’t think it would change much, it’s not like PC gamers are going to buy a console to play a timed exclusive, if they already have a console they might double dip if the release is late enough but that’s about it.

"So I don't think it would change much"

Looks at Xbox hardware sales after going Day 1 on PC + PC GamePass

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What are you talking about?

Xbox One sold 58M consoles, the current 2 consoles won't reach 40M COMBINED

LOL

And don't get me started on Xbox 360
Microsoft started porting their games to PC in 2016, over 4 years before the Series X came out. How can you attribute the decline in sales to porting their games to PC?

Do you know when they started reporting sales numbers out of embarrassment? In October 2015, months before they began porting every game to PC. There is no correlation, let alone causation, between their declining sales and PC ports.

I know you like to think there is one, but there isn't. In fact, the Series X had the best debut of any of their console. How could that have happened?

Last edited:
I’ve heard it’s a disappointment, even from fans of the 2018 game so that’s enough to keep me away until a deep discount.

But Warhammer Space Marine 2 instead.
There are some parts of the game that dragged on which IMO makes the game a little bit worse. But the combat is much better and the recently added game mode is really fun.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

The Freya fight is a QTE, so why would you include it? The first real fight doesn't happen until a whopping 20 fucking minutes into the game. Compare that to GOW I to III where it takes less than 2 minutes each time. You only have to watch a single skippable cutscene and the game starts. Ragnarok wastes your damn time by making you sit through unskippable cutscenes after unskippable cutscenes. The first hour of the game prepares you for what's ahead.

Get off your high horse. "Instant gratification" what the hell is this, high art? It's fucking pop entertainment and we have to sit through 20 minutes of bullshittery before the game starts and here you are acting like it's some sign of mature storytelling. Imagine implying that playing video games is any more mature than Tik Tok.
So QTE fights are bad in GOW games now? The claim that the first two hours is 20 min worth of gameplay is still horribly (factually) wrong, it doesn't matter how you want to slice it, it has more actual boss battles than the first game has in several hours, despite the first heavy initial dialogue. Also complaining about 20min dialogue at the beginning in a 30hr plus game is definition of Tiktok brain nowadays, that's apparently so "controversial" you guys act like it is Metal Gear Solid 4 or something.

Last edited:

Gaiff

So QTE fights are bad in GOW games now?
QTE in the original games are usually part of the fight, not the entire fight. Don't try to pass off the first confrontation with Freya as a real fight because it isn't.
The claim that the first two hours is 20 min worth of gameplay is still horribly (factually) wrong, it doesn't matter how you want to slice it, it has more actual boss battles than the first game has in several hours, despite the first heavy initial dialogue.
Because the first game has like 5 boss battles lol. The number of boss battles hardly matters anyway. It’s the time spent sitting around just watching cutscenes that’s the problem. It’s also incorrect that there is just one fight in 2 hours, but then here you are pretending that the awful pacing isn’t a problem.
Also complaining about 20min dialogue at the beginning in a 30hr plus game is definitely of Tiktok brain nowadays, that's apparently so "controversial" you guys act like it is Metal Gear Solid 4 or something.
Oh, fuck off. The entire time, you’re bombarded with cutscenes, and the game is constantly wrestling control away from you and forcing you into slow walking sections. That it takes 20 minutes to start playing an action game is ridiculous, and it keeps going with long drawn-out parts where you do nothing but stare at the screen. Are we going to mention Ironwood again where you spend most of 2 hours listening to Atreus talk to his girlfriend while riding the slowest Yak in history? How about the part in Asgard where you just walk around listening to Odin, or the countless sections rife with long gameplay stoppages? The game has awful pacing throughout. It isn’t just the first hour. The first hour is just especially egregious and easy to spot because anyone playing will go through it.

And lol at MGS4. As if there are only extremes. None of the GOW games make you wait 20+ minutes before giving you full control. Even 2018 takes like 5 minutes because, unlike Ragnarok, it’s properly paced.

I swear you motherfuckers acting like we’re the problem because we don’t wanna be bored for 20 damn minutes listening to characters ramble. It’s God of War. It’s not Persona, it’s not MGS, and it’s not some David Cage shit. 20 minutes cutscenes have no place in those games.

Also, it's hilarious how you guys go on about calling people who don't wanna be subject to interactive movies for half an hour "Tik Tok brains" when games like GOWR are some of the most patronizing and condescending ones in the industry. They hold your hand constantly, funnel you into specific paths because they're afraid the player is too dumb to find their own way, and what to say of the puzzles where they figure we're not smart enough to solve them on our own, so they got Atreus and Mimir breathing down our necks all the time and when you've taken too long, they give you the answer. "Give me a story" because I can't be bothered to learn the combat mechanics which are the meat and bones of your games. At least, the OG games more or less called you a wuss when you died too much and went, "Hey, we noticed you've been getting your ass kicked. Do you want to lower the difficulty? They even got a trophy for it. Sadly, new Sony has become so pussified that they stopped with difficulty-based trophies because not everyone could get them. I thought the point behind trophies was to reward players for their efforts lol.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Played for about a hour and dropped it, way to much last gen gameplay, QTE, unskippable cut scenes after each other that take forever, walled in environments. Yea no thanks.
There's a pretty good section with more combat after, but I'd be lying to you if I told you the flow of the game wasn't constantly interrupted with exposition and dialogues.

Last edited:

Fess

"So I don't think it will change much"

Looks at Xbox hardware sales after going Day 1 on PC + PC GamePass

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF
Gamepass and day 1 PC ports for Xbox exclusives has been around for awhile, it’s absurd to blame that.
Only thing Sony would lose is some double dips [big edit] plus some enthusiast hardware sales. Drop in the sea compared to what they would gain from being day 1 on PC when people are excited about a new release.

Last edited:
Gamepass and day 1 PC ports for Xbox exclusives has been around for awhile, it’s absurd to blame that.
Only thing Sony would lose is some double dips. If it was true that people skipped Xbox and bought a PC to play Xbox games then all PS fans would have PCs now since they were first to pretend that Xbox weren’t needed anymore when ports arrived. In reality they just skipped Xbox because there was not enough great games to play to justify a console purchase, would’ve happened without day 1 ports and Gamepass.

I have been hearing this Day 1 nonsense since the first port happened 4 years ago (Horizon: Zero Dawn)

4 years later nothing changed and there's no reason why it should...

Sony is not that stupid just like Nintendo isn't

Last edited:

Dafegamer

QTE in the original games are usually part of the fight, not the entire fight. Don't try to pass off the first confrontation with Freya as a real fight because it isn't.

Because the first game has like 5 boss battles lol. The number of boss battles hardly matters anyway. It’s the time spent sitting around just watching cutscenes that’s the problem. It’s also incorrect that there is just one fight in 2 hours, but then here you are pretending that the awful pacing isn’t a problem.

Oh, fuck off. The entire time, you’re bombarded with cutscenes, and the game is constantly wrestling control away from you and forcing you into slow walking sections. That it takes 20 minutes to start playing an action game is ridiculous, and it keeps going with long drawn-out parts where you do nothing but stare at the screen. Are we going to mention Ironwood again where you spend most of 2 hours listening to Atreus talk to his girlfriend while riding the slowest Yak in history? How about the part in Asgard where you just walk around listening to Odin, or the countless sections rife with long gameplay stoppages? The game has awful pacing throughout. It isn’t just the first hour. The first hour is just especially egregious and easy to spot because anyone playing will go through it.

And lol at MGS4. As if there are only extremes. None of the GOW games make you wait 20+ minutes before giving you full control. Even 2018 takes like 5 minutes because, unlike Ragnarok, it’s properly paced.

I swear you motherfuckers acting like we’re the problem because we don’t wanna be bored for 20 damn minutes listening to characters ramble. It’s God of War. It’s not Persona, it’s not MGS, and it’s not some David Cage shit. 20 minutes cutscenes have no place in those games.

Also, it's hilarious how you guys go on about calling people who don't wanna be subject to interactive movies for half an hour "Tik Tok brains" when games like GOWR are some of the most patronizing and condescending ones in the industry. They hold your hand constantly, funnel you into specific paths because they're afraid the player is too dumb to find their own way, and what to say of the puzzles where they figure we're not smart enough to solve them on our own, so they got Atreus and Mimir breathing down our necks all the time and when you've taken too long, they give you the answer. "Give me a story" because I can't be bothered to learn the combat mechanics which are the meat and bones of your games. At least, the OG games more or less called you a wuss when you died too much and went, "Hey, we noticed you've been getting your ass kicked. Do you want to lower the difficulty? They even got a trophy for it. Sadly, new Sony has become so pussified that they stopped with difficulty-based trophies because not everyone could get them. I thought the point behind trophies was to reward players for their efforts lol.
Again my Tiktok Brain comparison remains supreme. This is a 30+ Game(probably 60hr if you include all side quests) and the exposition is important. Also no the whole game isn't like that at all. I give you Ironwood but that was always criticised in the game. The whole game has plenty of gameplay, maybe even more than the predecessor, I should know as I have 74hours under it. People saying you get interrupted every 20min are either lying pr never have actually played the game. Even then most of the dialogue is 3min max, with only the beginning levels being heavier (or Ironwood). Once you went to sindris house and have access to the realms that's like almost entirely gameplay through and through. Hell you're not even forced to do main missions first, you're free to tackle side missions, which have even less dialogue. People complaining about puzzle hints, remember this is the same idiots who couldn't figure Metroid Dread basic puzzles with Morph Balls, that even spawned a meme on this side, so yeah I can understand when devs feel the need to handhold the current generation of gamers :/

Top Bottom