• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok debuts with 'Neutral' Reviews on Steam over issues

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The constant damage to their reputation. It’s not worth it if you ask me. Constantly bad PR and whining and crying from entitled whiners. I wouldn’t even call these people gamers. I get complaints when a game is legit broken or when a company is doing very anti-consumer things but who picks up a game that runs flawlessly like this and cries about having to make an account that they’ve already been told is required to play the game? What kind of person also is gaming on a GTX1650 in 2024 and expecting every game to run on it?
Why do you guys do this? We know the real reason. Exclusives are precious to you and you're upset that PC gamers are getting them. That's the bottom line. You were gloating for years about PC having no exclusives and loved going on and on about how PC gamers would be all over Sony's first-party titles if they had access to them. Now, you no longer feel special.

This is what it's all about and has always been about. The problem is, it's been 4 years and Sony isn't showing any signs of slowing down. Why don't you just make peace with this? Even Ass of Can Whooping isn't constantly whining about PC ports. He woke up and smelled the coffee years ago. Why don't you?

Why do you guys do this? We know the real reason. Exclusives are precious to you and you're upset that PC gamers are getting them. That's the bottom line. You were gloating for years about PC having no exclusives and loved going on and on about how PC gamers would be all over Sony's first-party titles if they had access to them. Now, you no longer feel special.

This is what it's all about and has always been about. The problem is, it's been 4 years and Sony isn't showing any signs of slowing down. Why don't you just make peace with this? Even Ass of Can Whooping isn't constantly whining about PC ports. He woke up and smelled the coffee years ago. Why don't you?
GTFOH, check my post history. You don’t know shit about me. I’m predominantly a PC gamer and exclusives aren’t important to me at all. I just call out bullshit when I see it. Don’t come at me with your system warrior garbage, it won’t work on me.

KaiserBecks

One of the main reason gamers are angry is that God of War Ragnarok doesn't run on graphics cards with less than 6 GB of VRAM, mainly affecting GTX 1650 owners

Animated GIF

You shouldn’t give a game a negative review only because it’s not running on your retro pc. You should ask your parents to raise your pocket money.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What does this mean?

That Playstation's main focus should be on their Playstation fanbase 1st and foremost!

It means he’s mad that other people get to play "their" games.

I'm not mad. I want Sony's Playstation focus to be where it matters most. To Sony, PC gamers should be a secondary focus. 2nd class citizens, if that makes sense. Clearly you know what I'm saying here.

Gaiff

I'm not mad. I want Sony's Playstation focus to be where it matters most. To Sony, PC gamers should be a secondary focus. 2nd class citizens, if that makes sense. Clearly you know what I'm saying here.
Them getting games 2 years later isn't enough for you?

Then crying about the damage the mean PC gamers do to Sony. Sure lol.
I'm not crying about it but whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm stating the fact that it's bad publicity for them which is true.

I don't give a shit either way. I own a high-end rig with a 4090 so them releasing their games to PC benefits me personally so I don't know where you're coming up with this bullshit from but keep it to yourself. I'm beyond System Warrior bullshit and propaganda.

Gaiff

Word on the street is, they are trying to decrease the gap in time. I DO NOT want them to! (Unless it's a Live Service game).
And why wouldn't you? 2 years is a long-ass time and by that point, the development for the PlayStation version cannot be affected. Even after 1 year, the work on the PS version is done. You'd have a point if they were simultaneous releases, but for one, 1-2 years is a long time, and for two, Sony hired a studio specifically for PC ports, exactly so their 1st-party studios wouldn't get bogged down working on these ports. Sounds like Sony is doing exactly what you're asking already.
I'm beyond System Warrior bullshit and propaganda.
Clearly not. Why the hell would you care about PC gamers giving Sony bad PR? You sound like a textbook warrior going at the bat for his favorite company. You having a 4090 means jack. Look at the way you behave. You're whining because evil PC gamers are hurting Sony's image. Does that sound like a take from a well-adjusted and impartial individual, or the ramblings of a fanboy?

Last edited:

Bojji

Already a mod out to unlock the game for 4gb users - .

And runs fine on a 1650, like i said earlier.

So anyone will explain to me why retail version of this game needs 6GB and won't boot without it? I was harassed in this thread before for doubting that it actually requires it, hahaha.

Stuart360

So anyone will explain to me why retail version of this game needs 6GB and won't boot without it? I was harassed in this thread before for doubting that it actually requires it, hahaha.
No there is a mod you have to use to unlock the game for people with less than 6gb vram, or 8gb or whatever it was.
Just watch the vid

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Didn't one of writers said Kratos would have talk with his son about kissing other boys?

Feels like a case of "soon".
Atreus I’ll accept you’re a fairy but you better not be the bottom.

If I come to your wedding and you’re the one wearing the dress, you’re dead to me boi!

Bojji

No there is a mod you have to use to unlock the game for people with less than 6gb vram, or 8gb or whatever it was.
Just watch the vid

Yeah and that's so funny about it. There are people in this thread that argued with me that this game actually may need 6GB of Vram (PS4 game...). Turns out, it's just artificial limit by developer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And why wouldn't you? 2 years is a long-ass time and by that point, the development for the PlayStation version cannot be affected. Even after 1 year, the work on the PS version is done. You'd have a point if they were simultaneous releases, but for one, 1-2 years is a long time, and for two, Sony hired a studio specifically for PC ports, exactly so their 1st-party studios wouldn't get bogged down working on these ports. Sounds like Sony is doing exactly what you're asking already.

No, I'm saying they are talking about making it even less than the current 1-2 years. That's not good.

Facism

*Minor story spoiler*

Thor being chastised for his drinking habits by a teenager and 5hours on a fkn yak picking berries was enough to make me want to wipe my balls on this trash.

2018 was a vastly better experience in both tone and narrative flow.

everything about the game was less Norse mythology and more middle-aged, middle-class white man who just had kids and the most stress in his life is the local HOA.

Just fucking garbage all the way through.

Couple of more Screenshot
RTX 3080 12GB, DLSS Performance, Ultra Settings, on 4K.

Note on 1440P DLSS quality Ultra Setting there is CPU Bottleneck and GPU usage can drop to 70% usage from 100% still FPS is 140ish but there is CPU Bottleneck, where as God Of War 2018 had zero.
Go-WR-2024-09-21-10-45-33-012.png

Go-WR-2024-09-21-10-45-50-790.png

Decided to try this game. Badly needs a directors cut.

In the first two hours you probably have 20 mins worth of gameplay.

Stop making video games unnecessarily padded out.

I can't wait for all the Ateus sections in the game. They will be such a joy to play(!)

The pacing of the game is so, so bad. God of War 2018 was already a much better game in the first in the opening sequences.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

I can't wait for all the Ateus sections in the game. They will be such a joy to play(!)

The pacing of the game is so, so bad. God of War 2018 was already a much better game in the first in the opening sequences.
Objectively false, in the first two hours, you fight a lot, the first fight is against Freya, the Björn(atreus), Huntress then against these cave dwellers. Not to mention the first main Thor fight as well etc. 20 min Worth of gameplay is a pure bullshit claim. In the first two hours you probably have more boss fights than the last game had in 8hrs

Last edited:

Fess

No, I'm saying they are talking about making it even less than the current 1-2 years. That's not good.
Why does it matter to you? You probably finished Ragnarök in 2 weeks, finished Astro Bot this week, finished Stellar Blade 2 weeks after release etc.

Sony has already opened this door now. Delaying games only make the games sell less now since the hype are long gone once they arrive on PC.

6 months delays would make no difference. Except helping the games get more GOTY votes since millions of more gamers wouldn’t play the games late when they’re no longer eligible to vote for.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How do the same people deal with things like Rockstar Launcher, EA app, Ubisoft launcher, Battlenet and Xbox Live when buying single player games trough Steam? The PSN account is pretty much the same as the Xbox Live requirement for Microsoft games. Is the problem what the PSN requirement is new for Sony games? Can someone please explain?

Fess

How do the same people deal with things like Rockstar Launcher, EA app, Ubisoft launcher, Battlenet and Xbox Live when buying single player games trough Steam? The PSN account is pretty much the same as the Xbox Live requirement for Microsoft games. Is the problem what the PSN requirement is new for Sony games? Can someone please explain?
It’s always annoying when you need a secondary account to play a game. But once you log in you’re logged in.

I think the negativity mostly comes from a fear that Sony will launch their own launcher and start making games exclusive to their launcher, like Ubisoft and Epic. And most PC gamers just want to keep using Steam in peace like they always have. I know I do, it is possible to sideload games from other launchers within Steam, I’ve tried games from Epic and Gamepass, and while it works you get no Steam achievements and no playtime gets logged and you have to setup library art and so on.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It’s always annoying when you need a secondary account to play a game. But once you log in you’re logged in.

I think the negativity mostly comes from a fear that Sony will launch their own launcher and start making games exclusive to their launcher, like Ubisoft and Epic. And most PC gamers just want to keep using Steam in peace like they always have. I know I do, it is possible to sideload games from other launchers within Steam, I’ve tried games from Epic and Gamepass, and while it works you get no Steam achievements and no playtime gets logged and you have to setup library art and so on.

It's always annoying. I'm just pointing out that it's not much different from other publishers.

Almost every major publisher have their own launcher without making their games exclusive to their own launcher. Ubisoft is probably the only publisher doing this at the moment, but it isn't really exclusive to their launcher. They have day one releases on EGS, and Steam 6 months later. But it isn't really working out for them, as their games are selling like horse shit at the moment. With every publisher on Steam, there couldn't be a worse time to make something launcher exclusive. Their games also doesn't have the popularity to succeed doing that.

Last edited:
Objectively false, in the first two hours, you fight a lot, the first fight is against Freya, the Björn(atreus), Huntress then against these cave dwellers. Not to mention the first main Thor fight as well etc. 20 min Worth of gameplay is a pure bullshit claim. In the first two hours you probably have more boss fights than the last game had in 8hrs
There is so much unnecessary filler dialogue in this game which makes the "intro" of the game appear to play out like an absolute eternity.

Gaiff

The Freya fight is a QTE, so why would you include it? The first real fight doesn't happen until a whopping 20 fucking minutes into the game. Compare that to GOW I to III where it takes less than 2 minutes each time. You only have to watch a single skippable cutscene and the game starts. Ragnarok wastes your damn time by making you sit through unskippable cutscenes after unskippable cutscenes. The first hour of the game prepares you for what's ahead.

If your soft brain needs that instant gratification, I would suggest what the kids do nowadays, go to Tik Tok.
Get off your high horse. "Instant gratification" what the hell is this, high art? It's fucking pop entertainment and we have to sit through 20 minutes of bullshittery before the game starts and here you are acting like it's some sign of mature storytelling. Imagine implying that playing video games is any more mature than Tik Tok.

Last edited:

Fess

With every publisher on Steam, there couldn't be a worse time to make something launcher exclusive. Their games also doesn't have the popularity to succeed doing that.
Don’t remember the name but there was a super fan here that detailed that Sony’s games are actually fairly successful on Steam saleswise and there would be no problem to have launcher exclusive games.

But yeah, I have my doubts, many have tried and failed. And personally I only buy games on Steam now. Free games I play, on Epic and Gamepass.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Don’t remember the name but there was a super fan here that detailed that Sony’s games are actually fairly successful on Steam saleswise and there would be no problem to have launcher exclusive games.

But yeah, I have my doubts, many have tried and failed. And personally I only buy games on Steam now. Free games I play, on Epic and Gamepass.

Sony's games have 10.000 to 25.000 concurrent players on Steam. Some even lower. They won't survive in the PC space if they did anything launcher exclusive. So he can be a super fan, but numbers don't lie.

Flabagast

Why did you buy it in the first place ? You should know players reception is very mixed on this game.

To other PC gamers on the fence, don’t waste your money.

Last edited:

Fess

Sony's games have 10.000 to 25.000 concurrent players on Steam. Some even lower. They won't survive in the PC space if they did anything launcher exclusive. So he can be a super fan, but numbers don't lie.
The games are always late now, that affects the hype and general interest. If they made a dedicated Playstation PC launcher they could have day 1 releases and still be within the ”Playstation ecosystem”, would likely boost the sales a lot.
But it would still be in line with Ubisoft and Epic releases, maybe a little more.

If your soft brain needs that instant gratification, I would suggest what the kids do nowadays, go to Tik Tok.
I play games to have fun, not to be put to sleep.

The Thor fight was certainly fun, but there is a lot of unnecessary padding in this game.

Go play every other God of War game and they all start with a bang. It should not take an hour of your time before the game begins to flow.

Space Marine 2 and Resident Evil 4 are good examples of how games should start.

Last edited:
The games are always late now, that affects the hype and general interest. If they made a dedicated Playstation PC launcher they could have day 1 releases and still be within the ”Playstation ecosystem”, would likely boost the sales a lot.
But it would still be in line with Ubisoft and Epic releases, maybe a little more.

Thank God they will never do Day 1 releases on PC just to kill their business....

You're right - it was an exaggeration but the opening was a slow start. Objectively all of the Atreus sections are beyond awful and should be removed. I am not looking forward Atreus/Angrboda level in the forest. That section is torture.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
You're right - it was an exaggeration but the opening was a slow start. Objectively all of the Atreus sections are beyond awful and should be removed. I am not looking forward Atreus/Angrboda level in the forest. That section is torture.
Then here I was with a box of tissue crying

when his dog died. Fuck me and my emotions.

Top Bottom