• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

With the recent model runs it's looking less like 2-3 feet and more like 6"-12" for NYC. What a difference a few hours make. I know people who really want a big Blizzard is waiting for the European model but if that shifts its track East I think we can safely call this a major snowstorm and not a bibical snowstorm.

I don't think it is fair to compare something as complicated and unpredictable as the weather with autonomous vehicles.

all the local news outlets are still calling for 97ft of snow.... :)

Are any sites showing these new models with the less amounts?

The Llama

Would love a lot of snow here in Philly. More cancelled days of class are always fun. That said, I'll be a bit surprised if we even end up with getting classes cancelled on Tuesday haha.

4-6 inches is the threshold for my job to call off field operations I believe, so I should still be good for a day off.

Gotta say though, I was kinda hoping it would end up being as historic as it sounded. I was hoping for something as insane as the blizzards of '96, '06 or the two in 2010. (The later 2010 I had the displeasure of being stuck in, haha) Those were truly sights to behold.

Mully

Reports coming in that the Euro 0z is just touch east. Not the dramatic shift that some feared after the American runs this afternoon and evening.

We'll see what Upton has to say about this in a bit, but things sound okay.

Knoxcore

European model backed a tiny bit on the totals but still shows a 2 foot storm for the tri-state area. It shows a stronger storm, a slight tick to the east with some banding into the tri-state area.

So now we pit the most accurate weather model there is against the rest of them.

Mully

Euro essentially held its ground, but ticked just a few miles more north and east of the 12z run. Accumulation totals have lessened slightly for areas N and W of NYC, but from NYC to LI to SNE get a possibly historic storm.

Here's one meteorologist's interpretation:

The ECMWF is definately east of 12z, but not nearly as far east as the rest of the guidance. It makes up for it by making the deformation band on the northwest side of the cyclone stronger (surface cyclone is stronger so more deformation along the frontogenetical band as a result). This is still a huge hit for NYC, but folks north and west of NYC will see their amounts cut.

hlzKiIt.jpg

Closer look at Euro's QPF forecast for NY metro. It should be noted that ratios for these numbers are between 10:1 and 12:1 with a small chance of 15:1 in some areas if heavy banding occurs.

ScreenHunter_136%20Jan.%2026%2001.09.png

gdt

Godfuckingdammit!

No matter what the snow is like, I have to go to work. Just that kinda job.

Fuck!

Allentown PA.

Apt101

I need to remember to go grocery shopping tomorrow. Last big winter storm I got stuck inside with nothing to "eat" but rum, wine, and Coke Zero. Wasn't too bad until the drunk munchies kicked in and I was eating stale ramen con ketchup.

Trapped at work right now in Philadelphia. 2 inches of snow my on car so far. Really hoping my boss doesn't mandate I stay. I'm on the tail end up a very long work week.

Mully

Are we still expecting it to be completely awful in NYC this afternoon?

Possibly. NWS Upton downgraded the expected totals to 18-24," but they would still be a record breaking storm. Light snow is expected throughout the day with the heavier stuff starting as early as 4PM.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Also, the energy transfer is occurring over the coast of NC right now. Thunderstorms just began to pop up over that area over the last few hours. You're watching a new storm develop over the coast.

Mesoian

Gonna attempt to fly out of D.C.to Boston in about an hour. Feels like were going to be baseball sliding under this storm.

ScribbleD

Trenton reporting in. Hoping we somehow get enough ice and snow to cancel classes by 12.

So far it's very mild, and just a coating. It's not supposed to really get going until tonight, is it?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
So apparently it's on track to be historic and dangerously deadly. Shits on track to wreck some shit. (tri+state)

Following that accuweather forum thread.

GodofWine

Trenton reporting in. Hoping we somehow get enough ice and snow to cancel classes by 12.

So far it's very mild, and just a coating. It's not supposed to really get going until tonight, is it?

I work in Trenton (live I. Mt laurel), my kids have school closings at noon today and should be off tomorrow, enjoy your snow day on Tuesday.

Drain You

In CT here about to head to work in an hour. Hoping we get let out of work early and maybe ni work tomorrow. I want a ton of snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom