• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live about 20 minutes north of there. All aboard the death train to snowtown.

I lost power for 11 days during Sandy. I really don't want that to happen again.

Sandy was a completely different beast than this. We've had several storms comparable to this over the last 5 years.

Clearos

East Haven, CT here...bring it on mother nature.

From the reports it looks like this snow will not stick to power lines like it did two years ago. Who needs a gym when mother nature drops hundreds of white free weights on your driveway.

esms

They are saying 14-18"
StormTotalSnowRange.png

From that map it looks like 10-14.

East Haven, CT here...bring it on mother nature.

From the reports it looks like this snow will not stick to power lines like it did two years ago. Who needs a gym when mother nature drops hundreds of white free weights on your driveway.

Remember, it's leg day, not back day. Sort of.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sandy was a completely different beast than this. We've had several storms comparable to this over the last 5 years.

I know, I'm not actually that worried. There won't be any ice/freezing rain weighing down branches, and the snow is apparently the type that will be easily blown off of the branches by the wind. So other then the fact that it's a fucking blizzard, it's actually a fairly best-cased scenario when it comes to potential power outages

Clearos

I know, I'm not actually that worried. There won't be any ice/freezing rain weighing down branches, and the snow is apparently the type that will be easily blown off of the branches by the wind. So other then the fact that it's a fucking blizzard, it's actually a fairly best-cased scenario when it comes to potential power outages

The timing helps too. I remember with Sandy we still had leaves on all our trees catching any of the snow.

Been snowing for the past hour+ in NYC. Hoping my company makes a call sooner or later so I can at least leave early and work from home the rest of the day.

Actually blizzards cause snow drifts and can pile snow 4-6 feet high on roofs and other structures. We're also talking 50 mph winds at way below freezing which can easily snap tree limbs.

The timing helps too. I remember with Sandy we still had leaves on all our trees catching any of the snow.

Sandy's outages were from massive flooding, not snow.

There's no rain being mixed in with this so that's a really good thing for us. I'm sure it will be like 2011/13 where we just end up with massive drifts in some areas.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Been snowing for the past hour+ in NYC. Hoping my company makes a call sooner or later so I can at least leave early and work from home the rest of the day.

I'm probably gonna be stuck at work until at least 3 if not the normal 5 here in Mt Vernon.

I work for my dad's company though, so I can try to pull the motherly concern card and have her harass him until he lets us all leave early. It is the ultimate trump card in business negotiation.

Actually blizzards cause snow drifts and can pile snow 4-6 feet high on roofs and other structures. We're also talking 50 mph winds at way below freezing which can easily snap tree limbs.

Well that's what I was saying, as far as blizzards go, this one doesn't have all the gnarliest shit, like freezing rain, or arriving earlier in the year when there are leaves weighing down branches.

Clearos

Sandy's outages were from massive flooding, not snow.

There's no rain being mixed in with this so that's a really good thing for us. I'm sure it will be like 2011/13 where we just end up with massive drifts in some areas.

True, forgot about the flooding I'm in a more wooded area so wasn't even recalling all the damage to the shoreline areas.

CT here I need to go shopping for art supplies but this whole week looks bad sheesh

the sky is just gray at nearly 10am and freakenCOLD aggh

just going to hibernate

Well that's what I was saying, as far as blizzards go, this one doesn't have all the gnarliest shit, like freezing rain, or arriving earlier in the year when there are leaves weighing down branches.

Ha yeah I guess there's some sort of solace. Knowing my neighborhood though - with Ye Olde New England power lines from Thomas Edison days - we'll probably lose power :(

They are saying 14-18"
StormTotalSnowRange.png
Pft - what is that, science?

The weather people seem to have backed off Philly a bit just because we are right on the break line of just a few inches or more than a foot. If the storm shifts just a dozen or so miles it means a lot for us. I understand why people are taking a conservative approach and expecting the worst, but there is also a decent chance we miss a lot of this thing.

effzee

NYC is nown scaled down to 18 inches? Good I guess though I was sort of looking forward to record breaking 3ft.

cwmartin

expecting around 2 feet it looks like, on the coast in CT. Leaving work at 12 and hopefully won't have to go back for a few days.

my office (west side NYC) is closing at 3.

edit: aaaand we're already closed tomorrow! glad we stocked up on essential wines and beers for tonight/tomorrow.

I want my 3 feet snow in the city dammit !!
Also mta shutdown seems like a far fetched proposition.

Id expect bus service to stop for sure, with the commuter lines following. Elevated lines might have to stop if the third rail gets overwhelmed

Usually you get a 2-3 hour advance warning though

I just want to post this again because every time a blizzard hits the same shit happens and people get stuck in their cars for 12+ hours

Folks, if you drive to work be very careful.

People are going to be looking out the window for when the flurries change to snow.

When that happens EVERYBODY will leave work at the exact same time. As in, everybody will be rushing out to "beat the traffic".

The schools will early dismiss and government will close

That means compete gridlock.

Just as the snow increases in intensity.

Guess who can't plow in gridlock?

Guess who starts getting stuck in the unplowed snow, as more and more falls down?

The timing is absolutely perfect for chaos.

Keep three days worth of rations in your car, including toilet paper

....or dont plan on being on the roads after 1pm folks.

In the words of Pooh and Piglet:

The more it snows (Tiddely-Pom)

The more it goes (Tiddely-Pom)

The more it goes on snowing (Tiddely-Pom)

And nobody knows (Tiddely-Pom)

How cold my toes (Tiddely-Pom)

How cold my toes are growing (Tiddely-Pom Tiddely-Pom Tiddely-Pom Tiddely-Pom)

Zona

Hicksville, Long Island here. It looks like we already have half an inch on the ground and I have work at 1pm... Damn it.

MilesTeg

Banned
Sandy was a fucking hurricane. Why is that being compared to this. This is a short blizzard.

Three feet of snow is quite a bit. I live in eastern MA and I can't remember the last time we got that much snow. There is also going to be high wind.

Also, it's going to stay cold after the storm. Losing power for extended time would be rough, and apparently there is possibility of more snow over the next week. We already got a good 8-10 inches the other day so there will be a lot of snow on the ground.

terrisus

Meriden, CT

Little bit of snow has started.
My wife's work (a driving job transporting people to work and other activities) is getting out early.

Snow snow snow.

alreadydead.jpg

Snow snow snow =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom