• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvingt2

I just realized......... the night shift people for Tuesday might not even make it at my job so I might have to cover someone that day...... :/

As long as you have power and your employers understand that getting to work is not as important as staying alive, just stay inside and stay warm.

My company is based in NYC and they sent out an email strongly recommending everyone there wfh tomorrow and potentially for the next several days.

hmm, well i'm north of NYC so perhaps the 96 storm differed, but i recall having like 3 or 4 feet of snow.
but i was like 8 years old so maybe it was smaller than i remember.

but thats weak. biggest ever snowstorm in NYC was 2 feet? lol.

Maybe it was snow drift? The last big snowstorm in NYC when I opened the front door was like up to my waist. But it wasn't like that everywhere

Mully

hmm, well i'm north of NYC so perhaps the 96 storm differed, but i recall having like 3 or 4 feet of snow.
but i was like 8 years old so maybe it was smaller than i remember.

but thats weak. biggest ever snowstorm in NYC was 2 feet? lol.

The city is too far west and north to get hit harder than Boston or eastern Long Island during Nor'easters. There's also a bunch of buildings and it's normally warmer than places inland which bring down snow totals.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I don't mind some snow, but this is gonna be awful.

robotrock

Banned
StormTotalSnowRange.png
I live there!

Amir0x

Banned
man i can't believe up in these mountains they're only predicting up to a foot of snow and New York bout to get 30inches

finally the tables have turned!

lachesis

Gold Member
My job in nyc (i'm in bergen county, nj) offered me to stay 2 days in the city @ company paid hotel... and I would have loved to do so, but thinking of shoveling my car out of outdoor parking lot, which was abandoned for 2 days, probably totally buried under a lot more snow due to the snow cleaning folks - along with my 3-40 ft driveway in 1 single night... I thought I'd rather stay at home and clean the driveway as it falls 2-3 times at night, as I would park my car in my garage.

Well, one thing for sure though... it's still not as bad as last year. ;)

br3wnor

Fuckkkk, I'm on the northern coast of middle Long Island so I'm about to get hammered. Really hope we don't have power outages, supposed to be dry snow so hopefully that doesn't mess w/ the power lines too much. Gonna be shoveling at my in-laws house for hours on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Few days ago I was thinking about how tame this winter has been here on Long Island, knew it was too good to be true.

Stay safe and warm fellow north easterners.

I'm in Boston now and I just got an email from my airline that my BOS to LAX flight at 7 am in the morning might get cancelled. I really hope not. I don't want to get stuck with this storm.

Stay safe NE GAF and heed the warnings!

dkeane

I'm in Boston now and I just got an email from my airline that my BOS to LAX flight at 7 am in the morning might get cancelled. I really hope not. I don't want to get stuck with this storm.

That makes zero sense, storm isn't going to pick up until 6pm in boston tomorrow

Apparently the NWS is using 11:1 and 12:1 snow ratios for nyc and long island and still getting 24-36"...

That's a fuck ton of liquid with this storm.

Folks, if you drive to work be very careful.

People are going to be looking out the window for when the flurries change to snow.

When that happens EVERYBODY will leave work at the exact same time. As in, everybody will be rushing out to beat the traffic.

The schools will early dismiss and government will close

That means compete gridlock.

Just as the snow increases in intensity.

Guess who can't plow in gridlock?

Guess who starts getting stuck in the gridlock?

The timing is absolutely perfect for chaos.

Keep three days worth of rations in your car, including toilet paper

This happened to me last year. Took me 4 hours to get home

Mully

Apparently the NWS is using 11:1 and 12:1 snow ratios for nyc and long island and still getting 24-36"...

That's a fuck ton of liquid with this storm.

Sounds right. The wind will prevent higher ratios for most of the area.

I'm still not completely sold on the totals.

Is it totally ridiculous to think that my Chinatown apartment will have power and internet throughout the storm? I'm an online teacher, so not being able to work is a huge headache.

And of course my girlfriend bought Louis CK tickets for Tuesday--bummer!

Anything else I should keep in mind? This is my first major NYC snowstorm.

Mully

A National Weather Service meteorologist stopped by the weather board I read. He gave some reasons why they went so high on the totals.

NWS Meteorologist said:
Good evening everyone...yes today's NWS forecasts were heavily weighted toward the 12Z NAM/ECMWF...no secret there if you read the WPC QPF discussion. Seeing 850 winds whose u-component was I think +6 SD's beyond the mean (to say nothing of a fetch from almost beyond Nova Scotia, something I have not seen since Sandy) tends to make one think big on snowfall. My forecast of 24-30" (the graphics showing 24-36" are a little misleading) may be a little broad-brushed, and depends on where the most intense banding sets up. As usual I think it'll be west/north of model forecast and more along a line from Danbury to NYC than from Hartford to Huntington. Will probably be widespread 18-24" with a band of at least 24-30". GFS was totally discounted due to its more progressive solution...no loop-de-loop near or inside the benchmark late Mon night-Tue from a Miller B storm of this magnitude? C'mon now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This better not fuck up my free Chipotle tomorrow (i.e., I hope they don't close early).

Is it totally ridiculous to think that my Chinatown apartment will have power and internet throughout the storm? I'm an online teacher, so not being able to work is a huge headache.
Not totally ridiculous; outages are generally more of an issue in non-urban areas, where they're lengthier and more widespread. You should be prepared for some possible downtime, though; if power goes out during the height of the storm, don't expect it to come back until the worst is well over with.

Alucrid

Banned

And of course my girlfriend bought Louis CK tickets for Tuesday--bummer!

Anything else I should keep in mind? This is my first major NYC snowstorm.

while i lived in the city i never experienced power outages or internet outages during storms.

GodofWine

This is when I'm glad I have a wood stove and a half cord of wood, it may not be fun, but if the power goes and the furnace is offline, at least we won't freeze.

Luckily, I'm a state employee so I'm sure to have the day off

Kwhit10

No snow all year and on Saturday I used the snowblower for the first time. Not even a week and we'll get another dumping. At least I won't have to shovel.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I'm trying to figure out what the timing is going to be. We're working on a big project at work for a Wednesday meeting in Chicago. I think my boss is flying out Wednesday morning. I think that's unlikely to happen. But let's suppose it does. She probably won't come into the office on Tuesday (she lives about 45 minutes from the city). So if we had to courier the project materials to her...

It won't even be possible. Because what driver is going to drive things to her in a blizzard on Tuesday night?

Wow I'm really not sure how this is going to work.

You should be good. Anything after 11am I'd worry because they'd cancel the inbound

Alucrid

Banned
So I'm trying to figure out what the timing is going to be. We're working on a big project at work for a Wednesday meeting in Chicago. I think my boss is flying out Wednesday morning. I think that's unlikely to happen. But let's suppose it does. She probably won't come into the office on Tuesday (she lives about 45 minutes from the city). So if we had to courier the project materials to her...

It won't even be possible. Because what driver is going to drive things to her in a blizzard on Tuesday night?

Wow I'm really not sure how this is going to work.

it's pretty easy, you'll be unemployed come wednesday afternoon

I'm in Maryland.

Hugs and kisses, let's not all freeze to death.

Maryland GAF, reporting in!

Hoping we don't lose power. We're on a well, and the previous owners weren't smart enough to install a bypass. So if we lose power, we lose water...

Other than that, we're all set. Plenty of food, gas for the generator, and I'm all set to remote work if for some reason the government stays open in this shit.

I prayed for days like this as a kid so they would cancel school for the day. And they were generally not a big deal, just took a while to clear the roads.

But that was Minnesota who is a bit more prepared for it.

Apt101

I can't find any pet-safe melting salts to put around my car prior to Tuesday. All I can find is the industrial shit that can kill dogs and cats if they eat it and would get me sued.

That reminds me, I need some winter work gloves and a new ice scraper.

Shagwell

Please don't let the power go out on Tuesday between 2:30 and 4:45pm.

That is all I ask snow Gods. Let me watch my football semi-final in peace. Then smite me all you like

lil

Never been in a snow storm. What should I expect? :eek:

SO, I can think of 3 things:

1. Even if you can go outside you probably won't want to much so make sure you have all the stuff you need for the next few days!

2. Have blankets and fun books and board games in case you lose heat! The games are v important because sitting in 30-40 degree temps for days makes you lose your morale. ;_;

3. No one ever tells you this, but looking out at a snowstorm, especially once the sun comes out, KILLS your eyes. Just a warning. :p

fuck groceries, i am just gonna pick some food for the week from the Indian place tomorrow since its just me in the house. Since i don't have a weed connection, someone suggest me a good six pack beer. I generally don't like the tasty of beer, but it helps me get drunk on the cheap which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom