• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

Also I forgot to add the non Euro models (sans the NAM) are predicting the trough to go negative later when it's literally already going negative according to observations right now.

If the Euro is again consistent with its solution again, in an hour, I think it's fair to say that the other models need to be thrown out and prepare for big snow.

This is what I mean the trough is going negative. See it dipping over Florida?

sat_wv_us_loop-12.gif

A negative trough is vital for an intense system to occur. It causes a rapid pressure drop at the center of the system, making the entire storm stronger.

The trough is going negative exactly when the Euro said it would. Hopefully the Euro doesn't waffle in a few minutes.

NYC subway 'limited service' after 7pm

Cuomo says the subway will run as normal until 7pm but at “7-8 o’clock they want to start to put the trains away” and there will be “limited service.”

“We have to close down the subway system earlier,” he says. Metro North and Long Island Railroad will have early service, but the state anticipates closing the two lines at 11pm.

That’s to be confirmed after the 4pm weather advisory.

PATH trains will operate as usual until 9pm, when it will go on weekend schedule, Cuomo announces. There will be a tractor-trailer ban on the southern thruway and other major highways from 4pm on, he says.

“We are considering at this time a travel ban on all main roads starting at 11pm tonight,” he says, to be confirmed after the 4pm forecast update.

Massachusetts announces a travel ban to begin at midnight. Connecticut’s is at 9pm. New York’s may begin at 11pm.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ster-snow-live#block-54c6763fe4b03a9bdfa80731

Mully

That didn't answer my question (I think), but I suspect you're purposely doing that because of how wild the models have been.

18-30 sounds about right from Newark to Boston. Banding and how west of a reach the system has, will give us a better idea of who is going to jackpot and who is going to be cut out.

jstripes

Banned
These travel bans are interesting.

Do they enforce them? Or is it like a "mandatory evacuation", which is nothing more than a strongly-worded recommendation?

Tawpgun

Do they enforce them? Or is it like a "mandatory evacuation", which is nothing more than a strongly-worded recommendation?

There was a travel ban in Mass for Nemo. I personally didnt see anyone on the roads but wouldn't be surprised if they can't be too enforced. Pretty much only emergency vehicles/plows are out.

Kinda wondering why people are claiming its gonna be the worst storm in history. A top 10 storm for sure but....

Still nothing sticking.

Central NJ

The storm isn't supposed to kick into gear until around 3/4pm.

18-30 sounds about right from Newark to Boston. Banding and how west of a reach the system has, will give us a better idea of who is going to jackpot and who is going to be cut out.

Two/three feet is about my breaking point. My concern was this potentially shifting into the 4-5' range for most of the area. That's when I just give up on society trying to be calm and civilized around here. Last time it was this bad (2011) people wouldn't stay off the damn roads so it took days for everything to clear.

What does limited subway service mean

No express trains, as the express tracks get used for storage.

Expect longer waits too

Surface lines like Rockaway get suspended when the snow piles up too high

Lines that shut down normally at 10pm may not return for morning runs.

I think you can get a ticket. But its more to keep people from getting stuck, blocking plows, and requiring rescue

Ovid

What does limited subway service mean
Not a regular schedule and not a holiday schedule.

Somewhere in between. The trains will probably run every 45 mins.

I take the express bus into Manhattan and that's what limited service usually means.

I travel everyday from upper west side to newark for school. These assholes are only canceling classes after 4 so i am gonna get to th city by 5-5:30, then i have to get to midtown to pick food before i bead home. Fun times ahead.

It basically means if you go out there's no guarantee for emergency help - you're on your own.
They also tow for parking bans, plus snowplows will crush your car if you leave it out.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Im off tomorrow just hoping to leave early now. Need to pick up some beer on the way home from the city.

Now just waiting on to see if the girlfriend is off but our luck schools will be open.

Mully

The Euro 12z run has initialized. Someone reputable is giving the play by play from their run on another forum. Will post when he's done.

NWS has increased their snow forecast to 24-36 for NYC and east. NNJ looks like to be the cutoff.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Metro-North Railroad

In advance of Winter Storm Juno, Metro-North will operate an early getaway schedule today. Extra trains will depart Grand Central Terminal between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., with regular schedules between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., and fewer trains than a regular rush hour between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Looks like theyre executing the zombie evacuation scenario

Oppo

we've had very little snow in Toronto this year; it's been weird reading about all these big storms south of us.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Euro 12z run has initialized. Someone reputable is giving the play by play from their run on another forum. Will post when he's done.

NWS has increased their snow forecast to 24-36 for NYC and east. NNJ looks like to be the cutoff.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Welp, we're boned.

Sanjuro

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

That triceratops looking face isn't happy.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

So it's looking to be in line with earlier predictions then.

InfernoNR

Trough going negative, earlier than any of the models predicted. This means, potentially, a stronger storm that is tucked closer to the coast. We could end up with more snow reaching the interior, while the coast may receive a bit less.

Mully

Euro 12z run is over.

It's in the same spot the last four runs have been and gives Boston, and Southern CT a chance at hitting 3 feet. NY metro could get between 24-30", with some locations getting 3 feet.

Now it's all about where the heavy bands setup and how long the storm stalls.

getimg%201.png

Here are a few quotes from a meteorologist (a real one) about the Euro run:

About the track.

It was negative tilt quicker this run, it even closed off 3 hours sooner, but everything was moving at a faster clip. I'm not really sure what to think at this point as the actual banding will be very difficult to forecast.

About the timing.
Heavy stuff moves in after 00z tonight. Then height of the storm is from about 06z to 18z Tuesday. Then lighter stuff persists until about 00z.

Maxim726X

So most recent estimates have Strong Island with 2-3 feet?

Fuck. That's a lot of snow... Going to work Wednesday is going to be awesome.

NJTransit closing at 8pm, so that all runs are over by 10pm.

That means bus, light rail and commuter rail.

If theyre anything like the MBTA, the most popular runs will have a secret sweeper train run after 8pm to catch stragglers, but plan on being on your transit vehicle no later than 8pm or you might be stuck.

Service is unlikely tomorrow.

BumRush

So most recent estimates have Strong Island with 2-3 feet?

Fuck. That's a lot of snow... Going to work Wednesday is going to be awesome.

If there's 3', you probably won't be going to work Wed.

For Nemo, we were off on a Friday and again on Monday...the ploughs just couldn't keep up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom