• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

esms

Radar has steadily been filling in for the past hour. I'd hold off on the bust posts until tomorrow morning. It's only 9:30PM. Blizzard conditions have been expected to begin after 10PM or later in NY metro.

The 500MB low is really close to closing off, which would rapidly intensify the storm and bring it slightly west. There is some indication given how the banding has filled in over the past hour that this is extremely close to happening a few hours before it was expected. Along with that the storm is moving slightly slower than expected.

With that said, I always thought Philly was going to be on the fringe. It may get 8-12 out of this, but Philly is in a weird place for Nor'easters always. It's too far away from the coast, and not far south enough to grab a storm as it transitions to a coastal storm.

I feel like we got licked by some major storms last year. Were they not Nor'easters?

Pepiope

They might be. What school do you go to? Some places are already canceling. Christie issued the travel ban tonight. Plenty of schools and businesses are shutting down.
Temple. They're shut down till noon. Coincidentally the one day my classes don't start till after noon!

Neoweee

People are idiots when it comes to weather. Snowfall can be extremely localized. Just because where you live didn't get as much as predicted doesn't mean weather people were a bunch of blowhards. It looks like some areas Long Island, Boston) are going to get fucked.

Clearos

Shoreline CT Update: Just shoveled twice and going out every 2-3 hours so i'm prepared for the main snow. Still minimal snow..maybe 4-5 inches at best.

Light winds, not too chilly and still light snow.

I'm making a pile of snow so come Wednesday when everyone post how much snow they got on facebook I can trump them all and win.

JABEE

People are idiots when it comes to weather. Snowfall can be extremely localized. Just because where you live didn't get as much as predicted doesn't mean weather people were a bunch of blowhards. It looks like some areas Long Island, Boston) are going to get fucked.
Yeah. It's all a probability thing. It's impossible to predict the weather beyond a certain point.

GodofWine

All I know is that I want the storm to bust, but only so I dont have a ton to shovel, NJ is closed tomorrow, so I'm off...

And I want a Steve's cheese steak now, used to live I. NE phly near the one they opened on Comly and the Blvd...now I'm in MT Laurel, home of no iconic food.

And...don't count the storm out yet.

Mully

I feel like we got licked by some major storms last year. Were they not Nor'easters?

Kind of. The polar vortex that was in the news so much last year pushed a lot of would be coastal storms far south. DC and Philly jackpotted a few times last year, and we all remember what happened in Atlanta. In a more normalized pattern, those southern winter storms would have left the Outer Banks or the Delmarva and intensified. Instead, they dipped so far south because of the polar vortex and tapped into the Gulf of Mexico's moisture.

hoggert

THIS STORM IS WORSE THAN 1996 lol

ofc once the (historic) storm starts up again (maybe) after 11 we will all (probably not) be proven wrong

Sheena is downgrading her totals for Philly too. Too much dry air hanging over Philly.

VogmXqW.png

no totals. just a big "dry air" over the area. thanks, sheena!

They might be. What school do you go to? Some places are already canceling. Christie issued the travel ban tonight. Plenty of schools and businesses are shutting down.
Nutter is supposed to make an announcement about city workers and schools sometime after 10pm. I think a lot of employers and non-public schools are waiting for that to help guide their decisions. I'm expecting a late open, but they've closed full days for less.

knicks

Just checked online, and apparently now Bergen County NJ is only getting 3-5 inches tonight?

Severely overblown.

They changed it again. Now the blizzard is suppose to start at 4 AM and last until 6 AM. They keep knocking down an hour of when it will start/end. Eventually it won't even be on the forecast.

esms

Kind of. The polar vortex that was in the news so much last year pushed a lot of would be coastal storms far south. DC and Philly jackpotted a few times last year, and we all remember what happened in Atlanta. In a more normalized pattern, those southern winter storms would have left the Outer Banks or the Delmarva and intensified. Instead, they dipped so far south because of the polar vortex and tapped into the Gulf of Mexico's moisture.

I think I get it on a non-technical level. Last year was an anomaly, basically.

Mully

I think I get it on a non-technical level. Last year was an anomaly, basically.

Yeah.

Basically cold air from Canada came as far south as Tennessee for an extended period of time last year and pushed a lot of storms to Georgia and South Carolina. A classic nor'easter usually enters the Atlantic from the Outer Banks and moves NNE as it intensifies. Cities like NYC, Providence, and Boston get hit, while cities like DC and Philly see a few inches.

I don't know what to think.

I've got family calling me telling me about "the worst storm in NYC history", I look outside and i'm like "eh", I look online and it says "20-30 inches (how can the spread be that large?)", there is like half a foot outside right now and it's been snowing for almost 12 hours...

BFIB

CNN hyped this up big time, now are redirecting to the wind.

Don Lemon: I'm standing on the street in New York!

dkeane

A little south of Boston and it's insane here. Wind picked up and now the snow is coming down crazy. I'll go out and take some pics in a bit.

br3wnor

I've got family calling me telling me about "the worst storm in NYC history", I look outside and i'm like "eh", I look online and it says "20-30 inches (how can the spread be that large?)", there is like half a foot outside right now and it's been snowing for almost 12 hours...

Lol this is where I'm at. Best is the news casters begging us to believe them that things are gonna get so much worse. Radar still looks insane for LI though, so I think we'll still get at least a foot.

Mik317

I'm pissed. A coworker took off and I am stuck here covering overnight for him and we aren't even getting anything of note.

Lol this is where I'm at. Best is the news casters begging us to believe them that things are gonna get so much worse. Radar still looks insane for LI though, so I think we'll still get at least a foot.

The "weather people" have so much power over business and school hours. I guess caution is the best course, but it still feels pretty ridiculous being in the middle of it.

esms

Yeah.

Basically cold air from Canada came as far south as Tennessee for an extended period of time last year and pushed a lot of storms to Georgia and South Carolina. A classic nor'easter usually enters the Atlantic from the Outer Banks and moves NNE as it intensifies. Cities like NYC, Providence, and Boston get hit, while cities like DC and Philly see a few inches.

Well, it's good to know that the polar vortex wasn't all hype. I thought that it just affected the temperatures, not the storm systems. Valuable knowledge for the future.

GiJoccin

i wish the snow would really start

my girlfriend is from boston, and she keeps taunting me that NYC storms are always overblown

she's also giving me Don Lemon updates in the CNN snow mobile, and i'd love to hear that he got stranded

My pops be telling me 1997 snowstorm was pretty cray.. But atm uptown manhattan everything chill.

Cuny colleges are gonna be open on wed no matter if the zombie apocalypse comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom