• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

Just saw the Weather Channel say NYC is going to be more around 8-12 inches.

that's still a lot but not the near 30 inches we were expecting

NYC is already at 5.5 inches. I'd be careful using TWC totals for two reasons.

• 1. Most of their good meteorologists left after the NBC merger.
    2. TWC has underforecasted this storm after the North American models started having convective feedback issues last night.

Pepiope

Why would anyone who lives in or around Philly go to Pats for a cheesesteak? Jim's, Steve's, Tony Luke's, Jimmy G's, D'alessandro's, Campo's... they are all better than Pat's.

You are super right about John's Roast Pork though, it's just impossible to get there when they are open.
Maybe I have to revisit some of them. I just wasn't a huge fan of Jim's, Steve's, or Tony Luke's. I've never been to Jimmy G's or Dalessandro's though. It's hard to eat healthy in Philly!

Enzio

Manhattan here.

Weather.gov still says 10-14 inches tonight and 7-11 inches tomorrow, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

Aren't wunderground.com and weather.com owned by the same parent company? Wunderground only says 5-8 inches tonight and 1-3 inches tomorrow.

Accuweather's are closer to NOAA's.

knicks

In Northern Jersey they said it was going to start at 1 PM.

When it got to 1 PM, they changed it to begin at 5 PM.

At 5 PM nothing happened, and they said expect snow to begin at 8 PM.

As soon as 8 PM struck, they changed the start of the blizzard at 10 PM.

Soon after it was switched to 12 AM.

Now it is stating no snow until 3 AM.

The period of the "blizzard" also shortened significantly from earlier in the day. They are displaying the blizzard to last from 3 AM to 6 AM, to where as it initially had a forecast of an 8 hour storm.

Mully

NAM was east this run. That said there are some indications that NAM initialized the storm too far east from where the storm actually is at this point.

We're too close for global models and too dynamic for short range models, and no one model really agrees with each other. The pros are flying blind.

That said there's two heavy bands coming through the NY metro:

post-25093-1422324167.gif

The Llama

Why would anyone who lives in or around Philly go to Pats for a cheesesteak? Jim's, Steve's, Tony Luke's, Jimmy G's, D'alessandro's, Campo's... they are all better than Pat's.

You are super right about John's Roast Pork though, it's just impossible to get there when they are open.
Steve's is objectively the best. American without. Om nom nom.

Whoa. Cuomo said that there's a $300 fine/misdemeanor charge for non emergency people who drive after 11pm? Anyone else hear of this?

I guess I'm not going to work tomorrow. My father apparently will be staying at work. Damn...

The Llama

If you like Steve's give Jimmy G's a try. I think they are just as good. I love the sliced > chopped mentality. Still, gotta have them onions.
YES. Sliced is so much better than chopped. I like Steve's the best because they melt American cheese so it has the consistency of whiz but... Isn't whiz.

But uh I'll stay on topic now. Not snowing right now where I am in philly. Hope it does.

Sean

Banned
In Northern Jersey they said it was going to start at 1 PM.

When it got to 1 PM, they changed it to begin at 5 PM.

At 5 PM nothing happened, and they said expect snow to begin at 8 PM.

As soon as 8 PM struck, they changed the start of the blizzard at 10 PM.

Soon after it was switched to 12 AM.

Now it is stating no snow until 3 AM.

The period of the "blizzard" also shortened significantly from earlier in the day. They are displaying the blizzard to last from 3 AM to 6 AM, to where as it initially had a forecast of an 8 hour storm.

Heh yeah, this storm has been rather underwhelming so far here in northern NJ. I was expecting the cars out front to be completely covered in snow and to be without power and shit. I realize it's not over yet but so far it has been a complete bust.

YES. Sliced is so much better than chopped. I like Steve's the best because they melt American cheese so it has the consistency of whiz but... Isn't whiz.

But uh I'll stay on topic now. Not snowing right now where I am in philly. Hope it does.

It's flurrying. Jimmy G's uses some mixture that tastes like american but has the consistency of wiz. I think they opened about a year or so ago. Maybe a little longer.

Far, far northeast Philadelphia. The snow is coming down now. Streets are covered. People are driving with their blinkers on. (This is my snow report from looking out the window.)

ALERT Weather Savior John Bolaris has reduced his snow totals for the Philadelphia area!

As much of a joke this guy usually is I actually like his updates.

http://weathersavior.com

He's saying 2"-4" in th city. PSHHHHH

Remember when, years and years ago, this guy incorrectly predicted a huge snowstorm, we got nothing and then he got death threats until he left town? Ha. Oh, Philly. We are something, alright.

D'alessandro's wins.

Mully

John Bolaris may be the worst meteorologist I've ever seen and I knew that when I was 10 years old when he was SCREAMING about the Storm of the Century for 3/5/2001. Dude was a nut and it seems like things haven't changed one bit.

haha I love that people on GAF remember those Bolaris stories. He is kind of a clown. But I think he might be right this time. Other people are slowly backing off those higher snow totals and giving huge ranges like 2-10".

Fatalah

I'm following the LI Weather Guy on Facebook.

"They're hugging the models a bit too much at this point. The 00Z NAM provides some bust potential from NYC on west. We're still gonna get pummeled. It's happening."

Mully

Radar has steadily been filling in for the past hour. I'd hold off on the bust posts until tomorrow morning. It's only 9:30PM. Blizzard conditions have been expected to begin after 10PM or later in NY metro.

The 500MB low is really close to closing off, which would rapidly intensify the storm and bring it slightly west. There is some indication given how the banding has filled in over the past hour that this is extremely close to happening a few hours before it was expected. Along with that the storm is moving slightly slower than expected.

With that said, I always thought Philly was going to be on the fringe. It may get 8-12 out of this, but Philly is in a weird place for Nor'easters always. It's too far away from the coast, and not far south enough to grab a storm as it transitions to a coastal storm. I've never been a fan of Philly for Nor'easters. I shake my head every time Philly forecasters scream Blizzard when they are so far away from the the storm and it's deformation band. It never makes any sense to me.

Ravijn

Weather Channel app now saying 2-6 inches (1-3 inches tonight, 1-3 inches tomorrow)

I just checked my Accuweather app and it's saying just about the same thing.

Edit - Mully, thanks for the info you are giving out. I'm really enjoying the maps and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom