• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of NYC-Gaf right now.

ubrc02u.gif

Where is the snow...?
Qft

Macattk15

We were told to not come into work tomorrow .... I'm an engineer for one of the power companies here in Connecticut. There are people manning the office/out of state crews waiting though.

Of course that will change if there are widespread outages .... they are only predicting about 3% of our service territory being out though.

Nothing happening around New Haven CT though as of right now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Seems pretty chill outside here right now (Upper East), but it seems like quite a bit of snow has fallen since I last checked like 30-45 minutes ago. The avenue was completely and totally clear then, and now it's completely covered. So maybe finally starting to kick back up again?

Radar makes it look like there's a real heavy snow band about 45 minutes to an hour away over Long Island right now.

Mully

What a bust in philly. Seriously.

And fuck these dollar store knock off Facebook meteorologist reporting shit like 24 inches of snow.

Yes. There are some assholes on FB that report weather pretty bombastically; some even have their own website!

That said, those people only wrote what they wrote because the setup was there, the NWS was on board with the totals, and the Cadillac of all weather models had run to run consistency which mirrored the favorable setup really well.

For places like Philly (as much as I hate Philly for nor'easters) and much of the East Coast, it was like taking a preworkout, having Brolic spot you, and having a new working max projected to be easy; and then somehow you can't lift it.

Loxley

ABC 6 News in Philly just said that at the rate things are currently going, Philly won't likely be getting much more than 3 inches tonight. Thanks for freaking the whole city out over nothing, National Weather Service.

As a consolation, I've discovered that ABC 6's meteorologist Cecily Tynan is smokin' hot. So that's something.

Mik317

ABC 6 News in Philly just said that at the rate things are currently going, Philly won't likely be getting much more than 3 inches tonight. Thanks for freaking the whole city out over nothing, National Weather Service.

As a consolation, I've discovered that ABC 6's meteorologist Cecily Tynan is smokin' hot. So that's something.

I am kinda pissed since now I will have to work this double shift covering and then have to come in tommorow since there is no reason to take off.

Fuck this shit yo

I just looked out my window here in Philly...

Yeah, I better go to bed. No way I can justify not going to work at this point.

Anyway, the biggest snowfall totals usually come as surprise storms. You could just feel the bust of this one coming over the weekend. Maybe it's because they're usually busts around here.

slit

You got to be fair though. Weather forecasting is hardly an exact science. They're going to fuck up. It's just the way it is. You either deal with it or disallow all weather forecasting period, which would not be wise.

Loxley

You got to be fair though. Weather forecasting is hardly an exact science. They're going to fuck up. It's just the way it is. You either deal with it or disallow all weather forecasting period, which would not be wise.

Oh sure, I'm not holding any grudges or anything - it's just knee-jerk eye rolling at how this was built up to be some massive storm that will hit Philadelphia hard, but ultimately will barely end up touching the city.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how the forecasts can all still be so divergent at this point.

Weather.com seems to be making the forecast mildier and milder by the minute (they're down to only one hour of blizzard at 6 am now), even though the radar shows two pretty serious snow bands moving in, one of which seems to be hitting Queens right now.

Meanwhile, the most recent NWS warning as of an hour and a half ago or so is still calling for 20-30 inches in Manhattan, and other sources are saying close to two feet is still on the way.

Just pretty wild how much disagreement there still seems to be. Usually it seems pretty clear which way the forecasts are going.

They're predicting the future. Nobody ever sees it like that but they're basically doing magic.

Did a quick shovel on the deck and moved maybe 2-3 inches here in central mass, which is supposed to get the most but most of ours is starting at 1am and through to tomorrow night.

My street is in pretty good Condition though thankfully. At least 5 vars get stuck on my Hill every storm.

Plows waking up the dog

Barely any snow fall but the winds have picked up, i can hear it howling, not as bad as Irene/Sandy, probably means the storm has reach me...Rahway NJ..

ScribbleD

Bummed there's still nothing. This is gonna wind up being a 2 inch snowstorm here.

Edit: AccuWeather is saying 2-4 inches for Trenton. Fucking lol.

oxidax

Port Washington, NY here. Everything is quiet...which I don't freaking like. I better see my car covered in snow tomorrow morning.

billeh

The NWS has a window of time where they either HAVE (think the warning has to be 12 hours in advance) to issue a warning or do nothing about it at all. With the information they had 12-24 hours ago they issued a warning based upon the way they saw it all panning out from the various models.

It's not an exact science by any means, but things easily could have been totally shitty. They erred on the safe side and issued a warning. Blame the local news and 24/7 network machines for hyping the shit out of it.

slit

Take it easy there scrooge. Snow Days can be fun.

We're talking about a storm that has/had the potential to completely block roadways for emergency vehicles from getting through as well a knocking out power to homes that rely on power for heat. You'll have to forgive me if I don't seem sympathetic. Snow days can be fun, whiteouts can be dangerous. Anyway I was just joshing that poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom