• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you guys shoveling snow while its still coming down? Thats like trying to dry a wet tennis court while its still raining. Just wait it out, then shovel it when the snow storm ends.

Mully

500MB Low doesn't close off until about 3AM according to forecasts. Likely a no-show for NJ, except for Hoboken and possibly Newark. 500MB Low needed to close off between 5PM and 10PM tonight to make it historic, for some reason it didn't close off, even though the lows at every other height did. What a weird storm.

NYC likely to see a 1ft+. Nassau is about 18-24, more towards the latter as you head east. Suffolk could see 18-30.

New England gets the jackpot here.

Also, here's a really cool snippet of a livestream I was a part of.

johnny956

Why are you guys shoveling snow while its still coming down? Thats like trying to dry a wet tennis court while its still raining. Just wait it out, then shovel it when the snow storm ends.

Lot easier to shovel 3-4 inches of snow then 20-30 inches. Even if it's multiple times. Lots of times you can just push it out of the way when it's that small

DarkKyo

Good luck everyone! We could potentially lose power at pretty much any point in time now, so any one of these posts could be our last in days :O

JABEE

Shoveling early will make it easier so the bottom layer doesn't get hard. Tonight, Philly is basically getting nothing, so I have nothing to worry about

DoubleD

Makes it easier come morning. Even if its only 6-12 inches, it makes cleaniing up a bit easier.

NateDrake

Shoveling early will make it easier so the bottom layer doesn't get hard. Tonight, Philly is basically getting nothing, so I have nothing to worry about

For me, the snow right now is pretty fine and the wind is blowing it around. I'm hoping it drifts away from my driveway and just piles up in the yard.

What an absolute disaster.

Central Jersey, forecast was 26-32 inches.

We've gotten at most 2 inches.

Blizzard was supposed to start at 8pm. Winds are light.

The worst part is when a big storm hits, nobody will close work or school because theyll remember this bust.

For years.

If theres not 12 inches on the ground when I wake up, no one will take the weathermen seriously for a very long time.

I'm sorry, we're supposed to go to mars and have self driving cars, and yet we predict 32 inches AS THE STORM IS HITTING and are off by 30 inches?????

On the plus side, I dont think they can uncancel work tomorrow, but holy shit.

Throw out the NAM, throw out the Euro, Im pretty sure looking at what geese do works as a better prediction method.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Where are the pictures? The thread for the buffalo snow storm was great because people were out there getting pictures of it. Come on East coast GAF get your act together here.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Where are the pictures? The thread for the buffalo snow storm was great because people were out there getting pictures of it. Come on East coast GAF get your act together here.

It's a garbage ass storm, there isn't any real accumulation besides on top of cars and maybe 2/3" on the ground so far lol... In the city..

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Seriously...being in a city where it is 45 I want to see the snow.

The new map

StormTotalSnowRange.png

National Weather Center Meteorologist

Gary Szatkowski ‏@GarySzatkowski

My deepest apologies to many key decision makers and so many members of the general public.

You made a lot of tough decisions expecting us to get it right, and we didn't. Once again, I'm sorry.

It's the middle of the night. Much easier to cover a storm with pics when you can actually see something. If you want some grainy night shots from long Island I'll hook you up lol.

Tell me the FraudZones

NYC is a bust but not totally, they'll still probably see over a foot and heavy bands can form and stay for a while so it can be more, but it won't be the historical ground breaking 30+ inches. Anything west of NYC (NJ, Philadelphia) is also a big bust, with them getting very little snow.

Non bust zones;
Parts of Long Island and mainly the North.

The new map

StormTotalSnowRange.png

National Weather Center Meteorologist

My deepest apologies to many key decision makers and so many members of the general public.

You made a lot of tough decisions expecting us to get it right, and we didn't. Once again, I'm sorry.

What's going on with Northeast NJ?

Mully

Isn't this usually common sense? Lol.

All these meteorologists pretty much orgasm their way to potential danger and when they are done they always lower their expectation by a huge margin.

They've actually been really accurate here in the NY metro for the past couple of years. The Bust of March 5, 2001 lived in infamy for the NWS and TV meteorologists for years. They worked hard to get that trust back, and won it back and then some after Sandy.

Their totals were 75 miles too far west because the Euro and the setup said it would be a big hit for all of NYC metro and not just Long Island and New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom