• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.mbp

CNN is killing me right now trying to make this storm out to be something much more than it is. HISTORIC BLIZZARD plastered all over the screen for a bit of snow.

I've got about a foot of snow so far and constant high winds here on Cape Cod.

salromano

So are the subways going into NYC from Brooklyn open?

Travel ban is lifted, but transit is still shutdown. Dunno when it'll return, but I imagine it takes some time to start up all the systems again.

Man, they were hyping this storm up to be the big cheese. I was expecting a December 2010 day after tomorrow-esque blizzard. I'm le sad.

Edit: I think they had a LIRR spokesman on ABC7 earlier that was saying it'd take like 12 hours to fully get systems up and running again. So I'd imagine similar for the MTA?

Travel ban is lifted, but transit is still shutdown. Dunno when it'll return, but I imagine it takes some time to start up all the systems again.

Man, they were hyping this storm up to be the big cheese. I was expecting a December 2010 day after tomorrow-esque blizzard. I'm le sad.

Edit: I think they had a LIRR spokesman on ABC7 earlier that was saying it'd take like 12 hours to fully get systems up and running again. So I'd imagine similar for the MTA?

I think the bridges and tunnels are still closed

supergiz

OK. So safe to say I'm not going to be able to go into work this morning?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is like the worst case scenario. It doesn't snow enough for people in NYC to get in and people in NJ have to wait for mass transit services to get back up. So if the people in NYC go in its like WHY ARENT YOU HERE!?!!? LOL I LIVE DOWN THE STREET

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wow, what a flop. There's like 3 inches or so of snow at my house. So much for 18-24.

supergiz

I imagine it doesn't matter how light it is of the subways are closed as I still can't get to work while they are closed. So it takes about 12 hours to restore service to the subways? That means they should be back up by this afternoon?

you and me both brother.

De Blasio jinxed it - "worst storm in city's history!"
The storm turned its back.
I'm really starting to think that, also the media. As soon as they hopped on it then the storm starting pushing itself back.

Mully you owe me a thunder snowstorm! You just killed the child left in me:(

Lol all these people whining about the lack of snow; I wish you could trade places with me right now.

ok, let's switch. I'm bored sitting at home.

It is sad when people dodge a bullet and their thought isn't " aren't we lucky", but "why is that dude such an awful shot!".

I for one am glad that I don't have to travel today. The alert is throughout the whole day today and I will play it out safe at home. People like to pretend that weather is even close to be a perfect science. At the end of the day weather does whatever the fuck weather wants to do. I rather they lean for the worst than being lenient and jaded like the people of the Internet and have more people at risk.

we want snow.

Alucrid

Banned
A foot? All of our schools and many workplaces are closed in Philadelphia and we got about an inch downtown.

I predicted this at 8am yesterday. I just had this feeling.
My commute this morning was faster than normal since no one was on the road. At least penndot can handle a dusting of snow

Well Internet officially went out at about 630 this morning in my neighborhood in worcester ma. We easily have a foot out there and the next few hours are the height of the storm apparently. We must have gotten several inches an hour because when I went to bed I cleared the deck and a path for the dog and that was just gone this morning when I got up.

Sucks that the Internet is down. I shouldnt complain because at least I have electricity -- which I've lost before in major storms taking my head with it -- but it's just annoying. If I had Internet itnwouldt be so bad.

Chumly

So where are we in terms of historic busts. Top 5?

Everyone was so busy jerking off to the Euro model that the GFS is going to be right all along.

dkeane

Wow it's dumping just west of Boston, just cleared over a foot off my car and the snow intensified when I got back inside.
I've got my coffee and blanket ready to go. I love snow days.

CNN is killing me right now trying to make this storm out to be something much more than it is. HISTORIC BLIZZARD plastered all over the screen for a bit of snow.

Well the world isn't just New York city or philly. In central mass I have a solid foot on the ground and maybe more and it's supposed to continue to snow hard throughout the day. Basically zero visibility out as well and my street looks like my yard with no visible change.

Ovid

Well the world isn't just New York city or philly. In central mass I have a solid foot on the ground and maybe more and it's supposed to continue to snow hard throughout the day. Basically zero visibility out as well and my street looks like my yard with no visible change.
According to that shit channel, it is.

ok, let's switch. I'm bored sitting at home.

we want snow.

Who's we? Because I don't. The convenience for City people and school kids don't make up for the amount of headache these storms cause to homeowners, long distance commuters, the utilities companies and the sort.

Seems pretty shortsighted to want a major storm to happen, because from your vantage point it may look like "fun".

salromano

For NYC, from Cuomo regarding MTA:

"The MTA is in the process of bringing the trains back out, subway and rail... They are now redeploying as we speak. Service will begin coming on at 9:00. By noon, the system will be back to Sunday service, which is roughly 60% of the weekday service."

Chumly

LOL NBC is doing the same. Switching to new york city dodge a bullet but omg historic Boston.

pestul

Well so much for caring about the people in the Boston area.
Like really.. Up in Canada and I just flicked on CNN. Show the areas getting actual snow. We get it. It missed NYC. Now show Boston and the bad places in long island they talked about.

Edit: they are now lol

BumRush

I can't believe people complaining about how disappointed they were. Meteorologists hyping up the storm probably saved a bunch of lives. That's okay in my book.

Edit: my area on long island got fucking whacked

dkeane

I can't believe people complaining about how disappointed they were. Meteorologists hyping up the storm probably saved a bunch of lives. That's okay in my book.

Edit: my area on long island got fucking whacked
Seriously. People acting entitled to a snow storm. Hilarious.
I've only seen plows on the roads here in MA which is a good sign that people got the message. Hopefully everyone stays safe.

S.Dedalus

Woke up to a buttload of snow in seacoast NH. Hard to tell exactly how much because of the wind, but some of the drifts are already approaching 2+ feet. It's coming down hard and windy, visibility maybe a couple hundred feet.

Yikes.

X-Frame

Northern Westchester here .. I just woke up and it seems like we only got about 5 inches.

But what is confusing me is that the local weather alert is still a Winter Storm Warning, for an additional 12-15 inches upcoming until midnight tonight here even though the hourly forecast calls for only light snow for the next 4 hours. So is it done for me here or is it going to get worse?

BumRush

Seriously. People acting entitled to a snow storm. Hilarious.
I've only seen plows on the roads here in MA which is a good sign that people got the message. Hopefully everyone stays safe.

A lot of people seem to not understand that 24"-36" with 65 mph winds would have killed many people and left many others without heat, power, homes, etc.

Falk

that puzzling face
We had two days of recording sessions cancelled(/postponed) over here in Boston.

Woke up about a foot so far with more coming.

I'll swap with any of you NYC people if you want.

slit

A lot of people seem to not understand that 24"-36" with 65 mph winds would have killed many people and left many others without heat, power, homes, etc.

I know, I mean I would have had this attitude when I was like 12.

So now emergency vehicles can get to people in need. Well who cares, "Wah now I have to go to work."

Just north west of Boston here. It's bonkers right now. Looks like it's going to be an accurate forecast here. 16"+ and 6" to 12" still to come.

MLCodest

Randolph, MA checking in. We probably have around 18 inches on the ground right now but it's hard to tell with the wind. Gusts are still pretty dangerous and we're expected to end up in the 24 to 30 inch range. Stay safe everyone.

Seeing Long Island got hit hard and a bit upstate ny meanwhile nyc is powder

962.gif

Everyone here pissed about not getting three feet of snow would have been pissed that three feet of snow was keeping stuff closed in their town.

A foot? All of our schools and many workplaces are closed in Philadelphia and we got about an inch downtown.

I predicted this at 8am yesterday. I just had this feeling.

Yup. Suburbs-Philly GAF reporting...maybe 2" here? They were originally (just yesterday morning) calling for 8-10" here lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom