• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the party starts Monday night in NYC, yeah?

Is this going to be the bullshit 6 some-odd inches snow that is just annoying, or is this going to be a snow day-quality snowfall? Guess I have to buy a rack of emergency beer, lol.

ATF487

Kind of excited for this, because it seems like a large enough storm that work won't try to guilt me into going on Tuesday. I'm right around the 18-24inch range near Boston

Just need to get some food and a couple of shovels to prepare!

Mully

Supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow here in the Pacific Northwest. Climate change? What climate change?

There's some indication that climate change is the reason for the winter pattern we've been in since the early 2000's. If you look at a list of record setting blizzards here in the Northeast you'll see a large number of them have occurred within a short time frame since 2000.

Red Comet

I really hope classes are cancelled tomorrow for me. Last week I had a shitty time driving in it when we only got a few inches, so now it's really going to fun when we get even more.

1phqRkH.gif

850mb temperatures via the nam. The pinks and purples mean we could see some absurd snow ratios.

Also

87VYlyI.gif

DoubleD

Dang. Looks like CT is gonna get slammed. Just split a shit ton of wood and tightened my tarps down. All I need is some beer and scotch and I'm ready to ride it out.

skybald

I live in Hazleton, Pa but have to drive to Easton tomorrow morning. We're projected to get around 8 to 11 inches. Hoping it starts later at night Monday because I'll be driving home around 3.

80 and 33 are usually plowed well enough. But be careful on 22 and in the city of Easton which can be forgotten.

Mully

Holy fucking shit ^ am I reading that correctly? 30+ inches in nyc?

It's a worst case scenario map.

Here's what the NWS in Upton is saying for the NY Metro right now. This could change by 1AM tonight.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Here's what the NWS in Taunton is saying for Boston.

StormTotalSnowRange.png

Latest 90 percentile totals. May not be quite this much, but it's possible...

STGtU0A.png

god at this point i want this to be what happens.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST
TUESDAY NIGHT. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY AND SURROUNDING IMMEDIATE
SUBURBS...LONG ISLAND...AND MOST OF SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES
LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 55 TO 65 MPH...STRONGEST
ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

My 30 year old Honda's sitting in the driveway am cry.

At least I won't be going anywhere and am thankfully off from work all week. Just going to sit back and enjoy the chaos.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Latest 90 percentile totals. May not be quite this much, but it's possible...

STGtU0A.png
Yep, that reflects what I've been seeing: ~24 inches (range of 16-29 by Wednesday). This is the first pounding of the season here.

My local Market Basket (NH/Mass grocery franchise) was cray cray today. They had every checkout open with an additional one that seemed to be placed on top of a sampling stand. Thankfully I was there only to pick up three items.

hythloday

NWS Philadelphia/Mt. Holly. Things are coming together. Looks like no work for me on Tuesday at least, with a strong possibility of work closing early Monday and letting us go home. Unfortunately they usually wait until road conditions are already pretty terrible before they do that, so I get to ponder whether I just call in and save myself the trouble.

Jesus... I guess I'm in the 32" zone? wtf.

I live in central MA but work near Boston. In most storms, it's just us getting blasted while Boston and environs gets like 2 - 4" and everybody shakes their head when I say that I can't make it into work. Glad Boston looks to be getting walluped as well.

Verger

Banned
What would 30+ inches of snow do to New York City? What infrastructure would be impacted the most?

I suppose to go off of that, when was the last time the city had a super snowstorm and what did it do?

turtle553

Just realizing weather.com went and totally ruined their site. Used to at least be able to find the regional snowfall prediction classic map and now can only get the national with no zoom. WTF

esms

NWS Philadelphia/Mt. Holly. Things are coming together. Looks like no work for me on Tuesday at least, with a strong possibility of work closing early Monday and letting us go home. Unfortunately they usually wait until road conditions are already pretty terrible before they do that, so I get to ponder whether I just call in and save myself the trouble.

So 14-18 for Philly now? I thought it just said 8-12. Damn.

GiJoccin

fuck! i'm working a 24 hour shift monday into tuesday morning in the Bronx

how in the fuck am i going to get home afterwards

Salaadin

80 and 33 are usually plowed well enough. But be careful on 22 and in the city of Easton which can be forgotten.

I usually take 80 and 33 to get there but almost always take 248, 209, and 93 to get back. It's a bit longer but a more enjoyable drive to me. Last Wednesday, I ended up hitting a small snow squall on 93 though and it really effed things up. Safe to say that I won't be going that way tomorrow.

gcubed

I usually take 80 and 33 to get there but almost always take 248, 209, and 93 to get back. It's a bit longer but a more enjoyable drive to me. Last Wednesday, I ended up hitting a small snow squall on 93 though and it really effed things up. Safe to say that I won't be going that way tomorrow.

It's definitely a more enjoyable way back but you'll get shit for clean roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom