• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

What would 30+ inches of snow do to New York City? What infrastructure would be impacted the most?

I suppose to go off of that, when was the last time the city had a super snowstorm and what did it do?

The city would be okay. Most power lines are underground. Subway lines are underground until you get to the outskirts of the boroughs (sans Queens). It wouldn't be business as usual, especially on the streets for a few days, but the most important services would not be hit too hard.

NYC has seen a number of large snowstorms since 1996.

OmniGamer

Man I'm pissed! I've been in Puerto Rico for a year straight from November '13-November '14...managed to carve out some time to come back to Brooklyn, NYfor the holidays, and tried to stay til past my birthday(TOMORROW!), but I needed to come back here for my section 8 property inspection (passed) and flew back on the 20th.

I desperately wanted to see/feel a significant snowfall while I was there and just got teased...and now to have missed out on this by a mere week just sucks!

pestul

I'm used to blizzards in Canada, but I can't image what 3ft of snow in NYC would be like. There is going to be some amazing drifting snow photos out of this.

Mully

The NY Metro in particular may have thunder snow (extremely rare) for an extended period of time because of the system stalling to the east for nearly a day.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pittsburgh is always a wild card in these types of situations. We'll either get killed or get nothing.

its-always-sunny-charlie-wildcard-b.gif

Mully

Re-asking :)

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

this is the only map of vermont i can find at the moment.

It's so rare and cool that seasoned meteorologists like Jim Cantore went nuts when it happened in Chicago a few years ago.

This is thunder snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsOJTfBIs4

I've been through thundersnow twice. It's so goddamn surreal when you first see the lightning and then hear the thunder.

been through it once. It caught me off guard and I thought I was hearing/seeing things.

Mully

We need more activity in this topic, need hype!!!

We have to wait until at least 5:15PM to check out the 18z model suites coming in. Some of the short range models ticked a bit east, while the global models have continued to trend west.

18z and 00z model solutions will be key to verifying the totals that the NWS are putting out.

I guess I'm gonna be working from home.

I'm right smack dab in the center of long island.

If those charts are accurate, we're gonna get hammered to hell.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
We have to wait until at least 5:15PM to check out the 18z model suites coming in. Some of the short range models ticked a bit east, while the global models have continued to trend west.

18z and 00z model solutions will be key to verifying the totals that the NWS are putting out.

All I know is that my body is ready my friend.

Going to record like crazy.

SeanR1221

Philly is looking at 12-18 inches of snow.

But from what I'm hearing it's a developing storm so its very hard to predict. It really could Be nothing.

I called my parents who live up in Haverhill what they thought about the upcoming blizzard today. They had no idea. They've been focused on their jobs and other things that they had checked out of everything else. So funny.

Yeah my friend in NYC just told me the same thing. She had no idea.

Just to be clear -- I have been following weather since 1993 and have never ever seen the National Weather Service put out a prediction map like that for NYC or Boston areas. Never.

Mully

Just to be clear -- I have been following weather since 1993 and have never ever seen the National Weather Service put out a prediction map like that for NYC or Boston areas. Never.

They did for NYC and LI once. It was March 5, 2001 and it was a complete bust, which is why I'm worried as shit this storm will be a bust and people will not trust forecasts the next time.

Edwardo

I called my parents who live up in Haverhill what they thought about the upcoming blizzard today. They had no idea. They've been focused on their jobs and other things that they had checked out of everything else. So funny.

Lol damn I'm in Methuen and it's literally everything everyone is talking about.

They did for NYC and LI once. It was March 5, 2001 and it was a complete bust, which is why I'm worried as shit this storm will be a bust and people will not trust forecasts the next time.

Ha interesting. I wasn't living in NYC or SNE at that time so I must not have noticed.

Mully

Hope this isn't all hype

I don't think it is this time.

March 01 was a bust because the meteorologists called it too early and couldn't get through the sensationalizing that occurred following their early calls. Two days before the storm the meteorologists saw that the storm wasn't going to pan out and tried to warn people the best they could, but most networks had already dubbed the storm, "The Storm of the Century," and weren't ready to back down.

In the end NY got about 8" and schools were closed for three days.

Here we have a great setup, and consistent runs from a multitude of models that have greater computer power than anything in 2001. In 2001 the models were running off hardware that were weaker than iPhones. Now these models have petaflops involved in their technical discussions. If it's going to be a bust it'll only be a bust for the suburbs North and West of NYC.

ATF487

Jesus... I guess I'm in the 32" zone? wtf.

I live in central MA but work near Boston. In most storms, it's just us getting blasted while Boston and environs gets like 2 - 4" and everybody shakes their head when I say that I can't make it into work. Glad Boston looks to be getting walluped as well.

Be thankful you don't live in the city for these storms, though. I was in Cambridge during the 2013 winter where we got a couple of 18in+ snowstorms in quick succession (and they all managed to come on the weekend). It was a massive pain to deal with. There's nowhere to put the snow and your car just gets plowed in if you park on the street. It was so much easier living in the suburbs and having someone in your town come by with a plow and just push the snow into your yard.

Can't even imagine what NYC is going to be like.

esms

It's wild. New England is gonna be in for a crazy couple of days.

Lol damn I'm in Methuen and it's literally everything everyone is talking about.

I bet. Potential snow days were always the talk of the town when I lived in MA because of the sheer amount of snow needed to call off work and school.

Malvingt2

My job "Hotel" "New York" already told me about it and they are going to have a room ready for me and co workers. I do work Tuesday Morning and I shall make it there around 7 pm Monday.

Edit: They are making sure people do not take risk on the road with this storm.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My job "Hotel" "New York" already told me about it and they are going to have a room ready for me and co workers. I do work Tuesday Morning and I shall make it there around 7 pm Monday.

Edit: They are making sure people do not take risk on the road with this storm.

You're going in at 7PM Monday? The storm's supposed to start at around 1PM, you might not even be able to make it in if this is bad enough.

Malvingt2

You're going in at 7PM Monday? The storm's supposed to start at around 1PM, you might not even be able to make it in if this is bad enough.

Yeah.... I was thinking about that too....I might have to be there at 2 pm or 3 pm just to be sure. It is annoying because is my day off... Sigh.. :/

Maybe we should get a mod to update the title to remove the "Possible"

Wait, 1pm? I thought it wasn't suppose to hit until late Monday night? NYC here.

Starts 1pmish, ramps the fuck up in the evening, like 6 or 7 last time I saw and continues till tuesday morning.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, 1pm? I thought it wasn't suppose to hit until late Monday night? NYC here.

I got an alert from the national weather service that says they expect the storm to hit us at 1PM Monday, or at least that's when the warning takes effect.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Maybe we should get a mod to update the title to remove the "Possible"

Starts 1pmish, ramps the fuck up in the evening, like 6 or 7 last time I saw and continues till tuesday morning.

I got an alert from the national weather service that says they expect the storm to hit at 1PM Monday, or at least that's when the warning takes effect.

Thanks, guys. Fuck, I don't want to head to either of my two jobs now. Ugh.

26.9 in 2006 from this beautiful Nor'easter. Might be my favorite weather photo ever.

572px-greatblizzardof2006.jpg

Man most of that snow was wet and melted right away.

But computing power has improved since then so maybe it's more accurate now?

Mully

I got an alert from the national weather service that says they expect the storm to hit at 1PM Monday, or at least that's when the warning takes effect.

We could honestly see light snow beginning as early as 9AM in NYC. The timetable is still a little iffy right now, but it's certain the heavy stuff won't start til later on in the afternoon/evening.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks, guys. Fuck, I don't want to head to either of my two jobs now. Ugh.

Part of me is thinking this might turn into that Christmas a few years back when the city was shut down for the better part of a week because of a big storm, which literally caused us to change how we deal with big snow storms, the scary part is this one is supposed to be bigger.

We could honestly see light snow beginning as early as 9AM in NYC. The timetable is still a little iffy right now, but it's certain the heavy stuff won't start til later on in the afternoon/evening.

Shit, this is gonna be a storm to see.

Malvingt2

So... I should keep an eye to the updates to see a what time I should try to make it? It is a 20 minutes ride but still...........

Mully

Part of me is thinking this might turn into that Christmas a few years back when the city was shut down for the better part of a week because of a big storm, which literally caused us to change how we deal with big snow storms, the scary part is this one is supposed to be bigger.

Shit, this is gonna be a storm to see.

The latest models have the storm transitioning and bombing out by 5PM EST. So really by 7PM tomorrow, we could be in the heavy stuff.

The timetable is something that will have to be nowcasted as the storm reaches the coast, but right now I'd rethink plans after 3PM tomorrow afternoon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The latest models have the storm transitioning and bombing out by 5PM EST. So really by 7PM tomorrow, we could be in the heavy stuff.

The timetable is something that will have to be nowcasted as the storm reaches the coast, but right now I'd rethink plans after 3PM tomorrow afternoon.

Yea, I've got Mondays off and usually go out drinking with friends but now I'm thinking we should cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom