• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my boi at Jaysweather:

I mean..why even post a map..this for NYC and surronding areas..does it matter what the maps say anymore? Guys..ths will be the biggest snowstorm since they started keeping records..ever..IF the models..and they all say basically the same thing..if they are correct:

NYC FROM THE NWS:
Monday Snow likely before 9am, then snow with widespread blowing snow after 9am. High near 26. Wind chill values between 10 and 15. Blustery, with a northeast wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday Night Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 21. Wind chill values between 5 and 10. Windy, with a north wind 22 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Tuesday Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 24. Wind chill values between zero and 5. Windy, with a north wind 34 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
Tuesday Night Snow with widespread blowing snow before midnight, then widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow between midnight and 3am, then widespread blowing snow and a slight chance of snow after 3am. Low around 15. Windy, with a northwest wind 27 to 32 mph decreasing to 21 to 26 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Guys...just keep reading this over and over...and then over...because you will never in your lifetime ever see a forecast like this..and I can promise you NWS has never written one like this...the blizzard of 96 never had such numbers. NOT overhyping...not one bit.

:lol stay safe guys

Mully

Wait what the fuck. If it hits it's going to drop 2-3 feet from 1pm to 12 midnight tomorrow? What.

The storm will drop 1-3 inches by 5PM tomorrow as it reaches the coast further south near the Outer Banks. It will rapidly intensify and stall near Montauk for almost a day straight when it finally leaves the area Wednesday afternoon. So, it will drop between 12-36 inches in a 24 hour period from Monday evening to Wednesday morning.

Fushin

I live a little south of DC. I'm not getting more than a couple inches. I wish this storm was a little further South :(

Turns out the GFS is still garbage for this storm. Euro reigns supreme.

ALL HAIL THE ECMWF

Steven DiMartino @nynjpaweather · 55m 55 minutes ago
The GFS is further east because it does not recognize the blocking over the NW Atlantic.

Steven DiMartino @nynjpaweather · 55m 55 minutes ago
The problem with the model is that it does a poor job with the actual data. It's not even close.

Steven DiMartino @nynjpaweather · 54m 54 minutes ago
So, hopefully the GFS gets a clue soon. In the meantime, all the observations point to what the ECMWF is showing.

maxcriden

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

this is the only map of vermont i can find at the moment.

Doesn't look *too* terrible, hopefully. Thanks man!

Pau

You are in for a treat.
So we just sit back and relax and enjoy the view from the window?

Nor have I. Literally saw snow for the first time last year and I'm weirdly exited.
My roommates and I all grew up in Miami, so we're excited but also wondering if we should prepare like one prepares for a hurricane. :p

Crazy Shoveling.
One of the only perks of living in an apartment building I suppose. No shoveling for me. And no car to worry about!

Retro

Never been in a snow storm. What should I expect? :eek:

The short version is, prepare to be stuck wherever you're at for 2-4 days at least, possibly a week depending on where you are and how soon the roads are cleared (rural places get cleared last, but side streets in some sections of Philadelphia get cleared when they melt, so.....). White-out conditions and significant drifting (let's say 4-6 feet) due to the winds. Potential power outages due to the weight of snow on trees and branches and dumb people ramming into electrical poles.

Preparation wise, grocery stores will have empty shelves for water, bread, eggs and milk, expect long lines at checkout and gas stations. Everyone will get a crazed look in their eyes like it's the end of the world and fights have been known to break out between the various sub-classes of moron.

As long as you have power and your employers understand that getting to work is not as important as staying alive, just stay inside and stay warm.

Pau

The short version is, prepare to be stuck wherever you're at for 2-4 days at least, possibly a week depending on where you are and how soon the roads are cleared (side streets in some sections of Philadelphia get cleared when they melt). White-out conditions and significant drifting (let's say 4-6 feet) due to the winds. Potential power outages due to the weight of snow on trees and branches and people ramming into electrical poles.

Preparation wise, grocery stores will have empty shelves for water, bread, eggs and milk, expect long lines at checkout and gas stations. Everyone will get a crazed look in their eyes like it's the end of the world and fights have been known to break out between the various sub-classes of moron.

As long as you have power and your employers understand that getting to work is not as important as staying alive, just stay inside and stay warm.
Thank you! This is very helpful. :)

Zona

Never been in a snow storm. What should I expect? :eek:

If you've never driven in the snow before be VERY careful, if possible just don't drive. It's not like driving in the rain, basically your car will be in one long hopefully controlled skid. If you do have to drive go slow, don't worry about people blowing past you, their idiots that will probably crash. Do not lock your breaks, if they lock ease up. If you start sliding don't over correct, turn the wheels where you want to go and gently apply power.

jblank83

If you've never driven in the snow before be VERY careful, if possible just don't drive. It's not like driving in the rain, basically your car will be in one long hopefully controlled skid. If you do have to drive go slow, don't worry about people blowing past you, their idiots that will probably crash. Do not lock your breaks, if they lock ease up. If you start sliding don't over correct, turn the wheels where you want to go and gently apply power.

I drive so slow I feel like a grandma. I'll go 25 in a 45 zone. People will be swerving around me. The first time I rev up to 30-35 and start sliding I remember why I'm going 25 in a 45.

I'm a substitute teacher and have to work tomorrow and Wednesday. Just hoping I, as well as everyone else in NYC, could get home easily tomorrow afternoon. After that, bring it on.

Folks, if you drive to work be very careful.

People are going to be looking out the window for when the flurries change to snow.

When that happens EVERYBODY will leave work at the exact same time. As in, everybody will be rushing out to beat the traffic.

The schools will early dismiss and government will close

That means compete gridlock.

Just as the snow increases in intensity.

Guess who can't plow in gridlock?

Guess who starts getting stuck in the gridlock?

The timing is absolutely perfect for chaos.

Keep three days worth of rations in your car, including toilet paper

An-Det

I just got a call from CL&P telling me about the storm, glad they're doing that although I'm already ready. This seems like the big test for all the supposed upgrades they made after Snowpocalypse a few years back, so hopefully I make it through this without losing power again.

That was a big one for me in a storm a few years back (spring 2011-ish). Shitty conditions but I had to make the 40-min highway drive, and the snow was so bad that it was frosting my front window faster than my car was defrosting it. Fortunately there weren't many people on the highway, so I pulled to the side of the road to clear off my car. A cop stopped near me and told me that I was still apparently in the road (I literally could not see the lines). I was pretty freaked out during/after that drive.

Never again. Fortunately I'm at a job now where we can just work from home in shitty conditions, it's so much less stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom