• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But... in chapter 134.... WAS THAT HER VAGINA???

T57OM.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Its also bad

I read it just for the zany and out-of-this-world creature designs. That aspect alone in the manga is probably one of the best in the business, in my opinion.

Folks, is there any horror manga that really ruffle your feathers? I want recommendations on mangas that can scare me silly.

I read it just for the zany and out-of-this-world creature designs. That aspect alone in the manga is probably one of the best in the business, in my opinion.

Folks, is there any horror manga that really ruffle your feathers? I want recommendations on mangas that can scare me silly.

It would help to know what horror manga you already read.

Junji Ito's manga are always a good start. He does some truly creepy stuff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It would help to know what horror manga you already read.

Junji Ito's manga are always a good start. He does some truly creepy stuff.

I have read most of his stuff.

Yeah, hmm.... it doesn't have to be horror in the traditional sense though... maybe mangas that can give you a sense of uneasiness when you read it.

For comparison, do you know about a rather famous webcomic called His Face is All Red? That is a fantastic example of what I am looking for.

survivor

Banned
I have read most of his stuff.

Yeah, hmm.... it doesn't have to be horror in the traditional sense though... maybe mangas that can give you a sense of uneasiness when you read it.

For comparison, do you know about a rather famous webcomic called His Face is All Red? That is a fantastic example of what I am looking for.

Hideout seems like a good read then

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hideout seems like a good read then

Took a quick check using Google Image. Woah, the artwork seems fantastic and the mood seems right! Gonna check this one out for sure, thanks.

.............that's not nice dude, hahaha.

...huh, that's an interesting interpretation of the term sense of uneasiness, but I guess I can't fault you for that, hahaha. Will read it, thanks.

What are manga that you would ligitimately call a masterpiece? As in, never loses sight of itself and surpasses the expectations of the medium. Not something that's just your favorite manga.

Here's mine:

• 7 Seeds(potentially)
  • Slam Dunk
  • Lone Wolf and Cub
  • Solanin

As hard as I try, I can't think of others of a high enough quality and consistency. Even Sanctuary and Ghost in the Shell have a bunch of problems.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What are manga that you would ligitimately call a masterpiece? As in, never loses sight of itself and surpasses the expectations of the medium. Not something that's just your favorite manga.

Here's mine:

• 7 Seeds(potentially)
  • Slam Dunk
  • Lone Wolf and Cub
  • Solanin

As hard as I try, I can't think of others of a high enough quality and consistency. Even Sanctuary and Ghost in the Shell have a bunch of problems.

I would take out Slam Dunk from that list simply due to it having a really abrupt conclusion/ending.

Doesn't stop it being an excellent manga all around, but still that ending....

Here's mine:

• 7 Seeds(potentially)
  • Slam Dunk
  • Lone Wolf and Cub
  • Solanin

Death Note would be a genuine classic had they ended after the first series. But they had to introduce fucking Near.

I would take out Slam Dunk from that list simply due to it having a really abrupt conclusion/ending.

Doesn't stop it being an excellent manga all around, but still that ending....
I still want a sequel.

Still remembered the first time I read Vagabond though. I bought it mainly because Inoue is making it, was blown away.

I then tried to track down the translated Musashi novel. Finally found one at a Japanese library somewhere in a nearby city. God I love that manga.

-Seven Days
-Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning
-Otona Keikenchi

Thats a pretty difficult question. I guess Id have these three, probably offering in seven days and otona keikenchi's case, the most focused of the most basic aspects of their respective genres in a really memorable form thats really well done in the art and such, will never forget them (or in OK's case, the series that it has spawned).

Spiral is just what I think the highest and best written story Ive encountered and showed how to handle a larger cast, while keeping things focused and going a bit deeper with still good art. Probably and definitely in the minority but I think the writer is really good and Ive never forgotten this manga ever.

----
Slam Dunk on peoples lists makes me wanna check it out, but if its considered lesser than Kuroko's Basketball, may just pass on it.

survivor

Banned

Here's mine:

• 7 Seeds(potentially)
  • Slam Dunk
  • Lone Wolf and Cub
  • Solanin

No REAL?

Anyway, I don't think I can name a manga that is better than Solanin. It's pretty much the best manga I ever read and still continue to read again every year.

7 Seeds 1-4

The art is rough and it's not even the shojio style, just in general, but I've heard it gets better. I hope so, because I can not stand her eyes. They're like scribble to me.

I'm fine with the pace so far, even though it is a bit slow.

It's too early to judge the characters, but funnily enough it's Arashi who I don't trust.

It's cool to see Wesker in a manga, though.

Just caught an episode of Naruto where he's trying to learn the rasengan and i miss when it was all about fucking guts and naruto pushing himself to get shit done.

Dat hardwork motherfuckers, none of this free handout bullshit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anyone that ranks Kuroko higher than Slam Dunk needs to be punched in the nose.

I was going to point out that its DTL and he's probably aware nobody actually thinks that, but then I remembered that earlier in this thread Beam actually posted both that FMA wasn't very good and that Bleach was his manga of the year in 2012.

There probably is someone like that.

Just caught an episode of Naruto where he's trying to learn the rasengan and i miss when it was all about fucking guts and naruto pushing himself to get shit done.

This is wrong. It was always about that, you're construing old Naruto in a way that's beneficial to your memory feels.

I was going to point out that its DTL and he's probably aware nobody actually thinks that, but then I remembered that earlier in this thread Beam actually posted both that FMA wasn't very good and that Bleach was his manga of the year in 2012.

This is wrong. It was always about that, you're construing old Naruto in a way that's beneficial to your memory feels

I still say Beam is trolling the fuck out of us with his Bleach love.

This is wrong. It was always about that, you're construing old Naruto in a way that's beneficial to your memory feels

Not really since most of the stuff considered "free" at the time had some fucked up drawbacks, but yet he didn't give a shit. It played off the concept of him putting a bit more effort better then than now imo.

No REAL?

Anyway, I don't think I can name a manga that is better than Solanin. It's pretty much the best manga I ever read and still continue to read again every year.

REAL is really really good but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I almost put Kokou no Hito but it has a lot of pacing issues.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not really since most of the stuff considered "free" at the time had some fucked up drawbacks, but yet he didn't give a shit. It played off the concept of him putting a bit more effort better then than now imo.

To clarify, you're talking about the hardwork involved in Naruto learning an A-rank technique from his Ninja God father through the medium of his Ninja God personal instructor in 3 weeks thanks to his infinite chakra and infinitely spammable S-rank kinjutsu. There was never a aesop about hard work, its just something people impute to make themselves feel better about liking Naruto at some point even though the series goes through the same motions it always did.

To clarify, you're talking about the hardwork involved in Naruto learning an A-rank technique from his Ninja God father through the medium of his Ninja God personal teacher in 3 weeks thanks to his infinite chakra and infinitely spammable S-rank kinjutsu.

At that point we didn't even know it was all part of his father's grand plan and he used what was consider his "own" chakra. I will admit the time he took to learn it was grade A shonen main character bullshit but i liked the effort that went into it.

There was never a aesop about hard work, its just something people impute to make themselves feel better about liking Naruto at some point even though the series goes through the same motions it always did.

I disagree and it sounds like your trying to pigeon hole tbh.
Always saw it as a underdog mentality where he wants to reach this goal but realizes he has to put a bit more effort than others, hell he was used as an example to justify another's belief that what he thought was possible (although he felt bad that he couldn't do it)

I still say Beam is trolling the fuck out of us with his Bleach love.

Sometimes i wonder the same thing but he must be a glutton for punishment if so...

Naruto stopped working and became a politician. He rather talks really hard these days.

To clarify, you're talking about the hardwork involved in Naruto learning an A-rank technique from his Ninja God father through the medium of his Ninja God personal instructor in 3 weeks thanks to his infinite chakra and infinitely spammable S-rank kinjutsu. There was never a aesop about hard work, its just something people impute to make themselves feel better about liking Naruto at some point even though the series goes through the same motions it always did.

Naruto was at its best when it was character driven and had SOME form of resembling ninja (although even that's debatable, yes).

Not this spam landscape altering jutsu to see who wins type shit now.

Angry Grimace

At that point we didn't even know it was all part of his father's grand plan and he used what was consider his "own" chakra. I will admit the time he took to learn it was grade A shonen main character bullshit but i liked the effort that went into it.

I disagree.

Sometimes i wonder the same thing but he must be a glutton for punishment if so...

That isn't even true. We knew he had the Fox from chapter 1 and we knew from chapter one that his clones were a Rank S kinjutsu only he could do. I don't even get what this continued assertion that gets thrown around all the time about hard work is supposed to mean, anyways.

That isn't even true. We knew he had the Fox from chapter 1 and we knew from chapter one that his clones were a Rank S kinjutsu only he could do. I don't even get what this continued assertion that gets thrown around all the time about hard work is supposed to mean, anyways.
We had training arcs, where we saw the character fail, fight hard, train more and fail again, until he finally got it, even if it meant that he was a bloody pulp at the end. There was some pay-off to all this.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the thread title is great, pretty much summarizes this community.

"(insert Naruto/Bleach) - F dropping this shit, I'm done"

fast foward next week

"(insert Naruto/Blach) - I'm done with this, no bothering anymore"

repeat every week.

Kusagari

Naruto was at its best when it was character driven and had SOME form of resembling ninja (although even that's debatable, yes).

Not this spam landscape altering jutsu to see who wins type shit now.

The only time the series even remotely resembled ninja was the Haku/Zabuza arc.

We had training arcs, where we saw the character fail, fight hard, train more and fail again, until he finally got it, even if it meant that he was a bloody pulp at the end. There was some pay-off to all this.

Indeed but i guess i'm seeing what i want to see, oh well.

the thread title is great, pretty much summarizes this community.

"(insert Naruto/Bleach) - F dropping this shit, I'm done"

fast foward next week

"(insert Naruto/Blach) - I'm done with this, no bothering anymore"

repeat every week.

Thats more Big One though as of late, everyone else usually just piles on and then some mention of the good ol days. LOL

This is going to hurt my status as a fine bro, but I think Solanin is a pretty average example of the 20-something-in-a-state-of-crisis story that borders on being cliched at times, and I'm always surprised at how universal the acclaim is for it. Off the top of my head, the two manga I consider masterpieces are Cross Game and Monster, although I don't think either is entirely without fault.

This is going to hurt my status as a fine bro, but I think Solanin is a pretty average example of the 20-something-in-a-state-of-crisis story that borders on being cliched at times, and I'm always surprised at how universal the acclaim is for it. Off the top of my head, the two manga I consider masterpieces are Cross Game and Monster, although I don't think either is entirely without fault.

Yea i think you might get some play for this.

7 Seeds 5

Secret government project
People put into stasis
End of the world

That's a bit hard to swallow, but still better than the family drama with John Cusack, The Day After Tomorrow.

So far I still do t have an idea where it's going, but it's mildly exciting and I can't wait to fint out. Btw, the environmental art is great.

Angry Grimace

He only failed in a relative sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom