• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Kangoku Gakuen 32

If this was any other manga Chiyo would've spent the chapter hesitating, trying to make sense of the misunderstanding and wondering what she should do

Also the vice prez is still goddamn. I'd put up with that hellish school for her too

upandaway

Prison School

Oh yeah. After about 20 bad coincidences it's only a given he'd get 1 good one (Chiyo coming just before he signs it).

I was about to say that he should just sign it now that she understands, but I guess he shouldn't give a shit about everyone else and just stay with her since they're in the same class.

upandaway

So I checked out of curiosity and unless I did something wrong, Bakuman should have 4 more (give or take) chapters to fill a volume.

So if this is the final volume, it would make sense to end in about 3-5 chapters (I'm guessing 4). If it lasts long into May then I really have no clue.

gunbo13

Aizen's irrelevant now. The SS captains have had 15 months to train up to his level.
15 months against their centuries of existence.
So I checked out of curiosity and unless I did something wrong, Bakuman should have 4 more (give or take) chapters to fill a volume.

So if this is the final volume, it would make sense to end in about 3-5 chapters. If it lasts long into May then I really have no clue.
We still have Nanamine round #3 to go.

So if this is the final volume, it would make sense to end in about 3-5 chapters (I'm guessing 4). If it lasts long into May then I really have no clue.

Ending before the next anime season starts?

gunbo13

Bakuman won't end until Pastel ends. Real talk. Can you believe there is 31 volumes of that shit? Fuck man, there is about 2 volumes worth of material centered on fucking cats.

gunbo13

Shingeki no Kiyojin and Ubel Blatt. Mainly the first one though.
OK, I'll see what I can do.
its 2 volumes now? LOL

maybe one day i will continue this...
IDK about just cats but probably animals at least. There were chapters (entire chapters) dedicated to the dogs and cats in Pastel. Talk about a manga about nothing. Slice my wrists of life boring shit. Makes me rage that it exists.

I just also realized that I am behind on a ton of series yet I am up to date on Bakuman. What the flying fuck.

gunbo13

Yeah, but they didn't need to be that strong before.
That's an interesting twist for dudes who train constantly for years and years. They must have been like..."OK guys, that was enough clowning around for the past 100 years. Let's take this seriously now."

I'd like to think that Ichigo unlocked their heart strings giving them ultimate powa. Use your heart and soul...amirite?

Solune

The World God Only Knows vol 1
http://i.picpar.com/7f494cbafca1d65d34db40aa17b835682d5486ed.jpg

I can finally check the manga guilt-free. I had only looked at a chapter of the older scanlations for this and stopped because those were bad, but really liked the anime adaption so it was mostly a blind purchase on faith alone.
I really like the various facial expression Keima makes and the way he's able to take all kinds of beatings and still be more concerned about saving his game than anything else.

Wish someone would license this over here =(. I think Viz has access to Weekly Shounen Sunday series. ugh /bitter.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's an interesting twist for dudes who train constantly for years and years. They must have been like..."OK guys, that was enough clowning around for the past 100 years. Let's take this seriously now."

I'd like to think that Ichigo unlocked their heart strings giving them ultimate powa. Use your heart and soul...amirite?
There's constant training and then there's serious constant training I guess.

gunbo13

When did we learn about this?
All the times they showed them training to start. Then you have all the claims of secretly training for move X. Plus, the 11th division holds this concept down enough. And technically, you would think all of their missions would be on-site training or they would use it as such. To think warriors would let centuries past without trying to improve their craft, as their job no less, it pretty ridiculous. Only Yamamoto can maintain the status quo cause he probably is tapped out.

The super level up is obviously just a pull for the storyline. There's no logical reason why a setting such as this would even have the idea available. They'd probably resort to Urahara branded steroids and wonder drugs.

The World God Only Knows vol 1
7f494cbafca1d65d34db40aa17b835682d5486ed.jpg

I can finally check the manga guilt-free. I had only looked at a chapter of the older scanlations for this and stopped because those were bad

You were checking the wrong place. We redid all of the old chapters in volume 1. You can find them at Red Hawk.

Tobe

finally the chapter came out, normal chapter but the ending was just super hype, how will echan face takuma will the training pay off? also im really hoping he gets with nacchan.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
All the times they showed them training to start.
Huh? I truly can't recall the captains ever being shown "training" while they were captains...

The 11th division is an exception because of what their division is based on itself. But that's just 1 out of 13.

Kusagari

I can see Ukitake, mainly because of his illness, and Shunsui lazing around, but I find it hard to believe guys like Hitsugaya, Byakuya and Soifon didn't train regularly.

gunbo13

They are too busy picking up BL manga
Blood Lad is fucking awesome. There are that many fans abroad?
Superior Cross end
Hey survivor, over here. Over here man, shit. This is the manga I mentioned to you a few weeks ago. They just finished the sequel. So it is Superior + Superior Cross. 15vols but Cosmic would have a better idea how the sequel goes. I've only read the original.
Huh? I truly can't recall the captains ever being shown "training" while they were captains...

The 11th division is an exception because of what their division is based on itself. But that's just 1 out of 13.
They trainen bro.

"I had always believed that battle was an art to be perfected through meticulous training and preparation. But today, for the first time, I was able to comprehend the thrill of indulging one's more primal instincts. You have my thanks. This battle was an enjoyable one."
-Byakuya Kuchiki

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hmm, I don't really see why captains would train prior to Ichigo invading and Aizen and company going rogue. Unless you're like the 11th division whose sole purpose is to fight anyway.

Captains are at the highest of the shinigami ladder. A shinigami's role is to keep the balance between the living world and theirs, and purify pluses/humans/hollows. Shinigami are trained to do that, and at a captain's level, they have far surpassed that. If there is nothing but peace, why would captains need to train? They only need to stay sharp and be satisfied with the position they're in. That just makes sense.

Someone like Soifon, because they are like black ops or whatever, that also makes sense. But that's her doing her job and overseeing that division. That's not her training to reach new heights or anything. The captains got a wake up call when Ichigo intruded and did something unprecedented and unseen for a long ass time.
I thought weve seen Hitsugaya train (when he went to that cave) as well as Byakuya?
The times that we were shown Hitsugaya and Byakuya training were before they were captains.

They trainen bro.

Awesome quote
-Byakuya Kuchiki
This is a philosophy. Not to mention, as DTL said, Byakuya actually was one of the few people we saw train. But this was prior to him becoming a captain, and we know that before he became a captain, he was of a Royal house that probably brought him up to have such a philosophy. If one is no longer expecting battle, why would he train if he has reached the position he has trained for.

I'm sure they "stay sharp," but until the peace was fucked with, I doubt they trained hardcore to reach a new pinnacle when the captains are already at the top of the ladder.

Also, this quote is just to show why Byakuya defeating Tsukishima was just badass anyway.

gunbo13

Captains I would bet my balls that they train a ton:
Byakuya, Kenpachi (through battle seeking), Toshiro, Sui-Feng, Komamura

Grey area:
Unohana

OG who could probably not do shit if they wanted and maybe do:
Yamamoto, Shunsui, Ukitake

Does whatever the fuck he wants:
Mayuri
This is a philosophy.
Seriously doubt it. Stopping training once achieving captain undermines the entire philosophy of the Gotei 13.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I agree with that. I'd also agree with who does what there.

But I think there's a difference between "staying sharp" and "training to get stronger". When there's peace, and no threat, the second "type" of training naturally just doesn't happen when you're at the position of captain. Staying sharp? I'm sure all of them do that.

Which goes back to why when something like Aizen happens, it fucks everyone up. And it's not a surprise that during 15 months, they have seen and are aware of an existence that could readily fuck them up. And now that the threat is there, they are "training to get stronger"...and not just "staying sharp"

Scum

Hitsugaya did, and I suppose, does train, especially after getting buggered over by Aizen-sama's epic troll that made him stab Hinamori. Must admit though, that some truly badass shit Aizen pulled on the Captains and Vaizards. Damn!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
In chapter 423 Hitsugaya seems to be training in a cave.
This is after Aizen messed everyone up though.

The point I'm making is that after becoming captains, but prior to Aizen, they really had no reason to do strenuous type of training to reach new heights and plateaus unseen. Staying sharp and keeping their position held is what they would do.

Then surprise: Aizen baby.

gunbo13

But I think there's a difference between "staying sharp" and "training to get stronger". When there's peace, and no threat, the second "type" of training naturally just doesn't happen when you're at the position of captain. Staying sharp? I'm sure all of them do that.
I get what you are saying. But the disparity is way too big. OK, so they got a reality check and got fucked up. But that shouldn't mean that they can train and get WAY more powerful. Instead, the "staying sharp" should have been keeping them on top. For them to not top out as captains is silly. All athletes do it and the captains should be no different. Instead of power boosts it would be more logical for them to change tactics or discover new techniques. Power boosts make sense for Ichigo a lot more then a captain who has been around for centuries.
Its finally done?

Time to update myself
Yep, I'm going to finish this one up as well. Mangaf should get on this.

Demon queen is sexy as well if I may say so. /advert
vOWf6.jpg

There are better pics but they are less safe for work. /cleavage

survivor

Banned
Choujin Gakuen vol 1

A shounen battle manga that is not complete shit, though the battle part wasn't really good. Wasn't that impressed with any of the fights but I guess it's the first volume so power levels have to stay low. Has interesting setup and cool characters. There is also a loli demon so smutgaf should be satisfied.

Will go back and read it once it's done but from the first volume there is some potential for something that isn't trash if they manage to keep the pacing and fun characters.

Choujin Gakuen vol 1

A shounen battle manga that is not complete shit, though the battle part wasn't really good. Wasn't that impressed with any of the fights but I guess it's the first volume so power levels have to stay low. Has interesting setup and cool characters. There is also a loli demon so smutgaf should be satisfied.

Will go back and read it once it's done but from the first volume there is some potential for something that isn't trash if they manage to keep the pacing and fun characters.

One of the things that attracted it to me was the art. It's like after Tezuka decided to copy Disney while adding his own style, Disney decided to copy Tezuka while adding their own style and then some other guy decided to copy that while combining it with Betty Boop. I don't know if that really makes sense, but it's the feel I get and I love it.

And yeah, I'm a huge fan of the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom